Start by marking “Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)

Second Generation (Lavette Family #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  661 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In this sequel to The Immigrants, Barbara Levette is troubled by the conflicts of her dual inheritance and scornful of her mother's social world. Barbara sets out to build her own life in her own way--a way that leads her to a Europe on the brink of Nazi terror.
Published May 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Second Generation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Generation

Graceann
Sep 15, 2009 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans, series fans
In THE IMMIGRANTS, Howard Fast began the story of the Lavettes, focusing on Dan and his wife, Jean. This second volume concentrates on their daughter, Barbara, and what adventures she has! From 1930s labor strife, to pre-WWII Paris to Calcutta to San Francisco, there is very little that doesn't make its way into Barbara Lavette's experience.

Howard Fast writes in a way that keeps one turning the pages. When you feel you've heard enough from one character, he focuses on someone else for a while.
L.  (I've Stopped Counting)
I didn't realize this was the second book in a series until I had already started it. But I don't think reading the first book would have helped me at all to care about any of these characters.

While there are a multitude of people in this story, we're basically following Barbara Lavette. She's a woman blessed/cursed with powerful pheromones that causes every man she meets to fall in love with her, or least want to bed her. (The downside being she's a bit of a black widow to a couple of these guy
علی
خواندن اثار هوارد فاست کمک می کند تا تاریخ آمریکا را به گونه ای دیگر، از درون آینه ی ادبیات بشناسیم. اگرچه نه به آن دقت و جزئیات که تاریخ یک قرن فرانسه را می شود از طریق خواندن آثار بالزاک شناخت، با این همه هوارد فاست یک آمریکایی ست که با همه ی دید انتقادی نسبت به فرهنگ و تاریخ ملتش، هم چنان دلسوز مردم و میهن خود باقی مانده است. مهاجران را باجلان فرخی ترجمه کرده و انتشارات اساطیر در 1371 منتشر کرده است. نسل دوم را به فارسی ندیده ام. با وجودی که در برابر دیگر آثار هوارد فاست آنچنان درخشش ندارد، ا ...more
Joan
I love the saga of the Lavette family, This one covers the years from 1934 to 1946. It focuses on Barbara, Daughter of Dan and Jean and takes us from the depression to World War II and beyond.

For a good bit of her life, barbara tries to run away from her family's wealth and power. Her life goes through many changes along the way from Jean marries John Whittier and Dan Marries May Ling. Barbara becomes a writer Meets Marcel and falls in love, Travels widely and has experiences that most of us ca
Mary Frances
This continues to be a surprisingly good series. While on one level it's your basic family saga, the author enriches what would otherwise be a soap opera with politic commentary and consideration of social issues. Glad I found the series.
Beth Bedee
I'm addicted to this series. I love Howard Fast's writing style. I have become so invested in these characters.

Like "The Immigrants," this one sweeps fairly quickly through time. The story starts in 1934 and ends in 1946. I thought if offered an interesting point of view of the WWII era. You only get one bit of battlefield footage. Instead, we view the war from a boat off the coast of Oahu. Or from a female journalist in Nazi Germany, and the Burma/Indian theatre. We also get a lot of informati
Barb
I had to read the sequel books in this series and I enjoyed them all thoroughly.
abclaret
On seeing the cover someone asked if I was reading Mills and Boon. As it turns out, something of an apt comment to make. There is nothing wrong with the book, its just not as good as I had hoped for. It's been nearly eight years ago since I read the first instalment and I remember I devoured it within a week of picking it up and was left with something of a good impression.

This book I hope is not a turn for the worse in the saga. Far too many cliches for my liking and screaming out for an edito
Daniela
Just like the first book "the immigrants" I'm liking this book a lot. He has this very easy to read and easy to relate to style of writing. It's very interesting to see the struggles and successes of first generation immigrants. Being one myself, it puts my own life and struggles large and small in perspective. Very interesting to observe immigrants lives through the centuries. Interesting perspective of their accounts of the war in Europe.
Gail Mchugh
I loved reading this book.The characters were so real. I was also grateful it continued where the first left off and we did not lose any of the characters. I was disappointed with the end though. I wanted Barbara to care more for Bernie. I suppose I wanted her to be happy after all she had been through. I also would have liked to know Joe more but I guess you cannot have everything. I was sad it ended. That's what I call a good book.
Amy
This is the second book in the Lavette family series. Dan Lavette and Jean Seldon have a daughter, Barbara. This is her story- she's a caring, brave and feisty girl that travels the world working as a journalist. Her journeys take her to Paris, Nazi Germany, Israel, and throughout other historical events of the time. Loved this book as much as the first and I am excited to start the third book in this series!
Terri Hardy
The Immigrants took me from the turn of the century through the great San Francisco Earthquake. In Second Generation, I followed the Lavette family through the Depression and World War II. It seems that a sequel never can match the original, but still I found this book quite satisfying and anxious to read more.
Leniw
This book is better than the first one.
Usually I don't like books that follow the lives of the characters for that long but I have to say that I actually developed I kind of bond with them.
It is both a happy and a sad book at the same time. It's like real life I guess.

I can't wait to read the next!
Andrea
I enjoy these Lavette Family books, although the dialogue is a little antiquated and the characters aren't too believable (everyone's a little too smart, beautiful and idealistic). But the history as a backdrop is interesting and I've become attached to the storylines.
Wesley
Liked it well enough. It's good family/generation saga. I like the time period and the location as well. California just prior to and just after WWII. It just took me forever to finish it. Might read the next one later but not next.
Niece
Great 2nd book in the Immigrant saga
Set San Francisco at the time of the great earthquake-5 in saga-great read!
Bonita Adair
Powerful shipyard making driven, Daniel and Barbara, his daughter led very different lives. The writer made another fascinating and absorbing. Thumbs up! Looking forward for third book, The Establishment.
Michael
I absolutely loved this trilogy series. Wish it could of been made into a TV series. Even though I read these books years ago, I can still remember the trials & tribulations this family went through.
Linda
I enjoyed this book. I liked reading about a time past in novel form. I was born in 1943 so I was a baby when my Dad went off to war. Following this family was a good read for me.
M
This is the second book in a series. I love this author. I love stories where you follow characters through long periods of time. I'm on to the next book in the series!
Linda K.
This is #2 in a trilogy about the Layette Family. I look forward to reading #3 The Establishment. I enjoy the family saga with the historical background.
Pypa
Really enjoyed this book. Mostly about the daughter but allowed us to keep up with the rest of the family. Great historical refresher course.
Kaethe
I loved the sweeping generational novels when I was in high school.
Nancy Wieme
Continuation of The Immigrants. Good characters... loved it.
Linda
Really enjoyed this sequel to The Immigrants.
Babete
Continuação de " Os Imigrantes ".
Cynthia  A Sliwinski
Cynthia A Sliwinski is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
  • American Dreams (Crown Family Saga, #2)
  • The Dreaming Suburb (The Avenue, #1)
  • Calico Palace
  • Crestmont
  • Penmarric
  • Afterlife
  • Wilderness Trail of Love (American Wilderness, #1)
  • Restless Hearts (Gold Rush Romances #1)
  • The Soldier's Return
  • Paradise Falls
  • Babyface
  • The Pirate Captain: Chronicles of a Legend
  • Girls' Night In
  • Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #1)
  • Highways to a War
  • The Invention of Sarah Cummings (Avenue of Dreams, #3)
  • Wild Swan (Wild Swan Trilogy, #1)
Howard Fast (1914–2003) was one of the most prolific American writers of the twentieth century. He was a bestselling author of more than eighty works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and screenplays. The son of immigrants, Fast grew up in New York City and published his first novel upon finishing high school in 1933. In 1950, his refusal to provide the United States Congress with a list of possible ...more
More about Howard Fast...

Lavette Family (6 books)
  • The Immigrants (Lavette Family, #1)
  • The Establishment (Lavette Family, #3)
  • The Legacy (Lavette Family, #4)
  • The Immigrant's Daughter (Lavette Family, #5)
  • An Independent Woman (Lavette Family, #6)
The Immigrants (Lavette Family, #1) April Morning The Establishment (Lavette Family, #3) The Immigrant's Daughter (Lavette Family, #5) اسپارتاکوس

“would have died there. Right there. And she didn’t say anything. She didn’t even cry at first. She just handed the letter to Pop, and he read it, and then he put his head down on the table and began to cry.” 0 likes