Start by marking “Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)

Second Generation (Lavette Family #2)

She'll Risk Her Freedom to Find Freedom

"A novel of satisfying depth and breadth, written in good, clean, forceful prose." -Chicago Tribune

Desperate for independence and scornful of the hypocrisy of the upper class, Barbara Lavette returns to her family home in San Francisco following her first year of college determined to make her own way in the world. After abandoning he
Published May 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Second Generation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Generation

Graceann
Sep 15, 2009 Graceann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans, series fans
In THE IMMIGRANTS, Howard Fast began the story of the Lavettes, focusing on Dan and his wife, Jean. This second volume concentrates on their daughter, Barbara, and what adventures she has! From 1930s labor strife, to pre-WWII Paris to Calcutta to San Francisco, there is very little that doesn't make its way into Barbara Lavette's experience.

Howard Fast writes in a way that keeps one turning the pages. When you feel you've heard enough from one character, he focuses on someone else for a while.
Carolyn Pina
Jun 03, 2016 Carolyn Pina rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as the first book in the series (The Immigrants), but very good -- I enjoyed it.
Susan
Jan 01, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lavette family saga continues in book 2 through the Depression and World War II. Howard Fast is a superb storyteller. His vivid characters feel like family members. I'm looking forward to reading more from this series.
Peter T. Tomaras
I am always suspicious that the second book in a series will fall short of the first. Not so, here. Fast is an amazing writer, this second generation of his Lavette Family saga is the same page-turner as the Immigrants. These are books I do not want to put down, and guess what: just ordered the third in the series, The Establishment. So glad someone recommended these books to me, a son of an immigrant. The relationships are thoroughly believable, if a tad predictable. And each character is uniqu ...more
L. (Climbing Mt. TBR one page at a time)
I didn't realize this was the second book in a series until I had already started it. But I don't think reading the first book would have helped me at all to care about any of these characters.

While there are a multitude of people in this story, we're basically following Barbara Lavette. She's a woman blessed/cursed with powerful pheromones that causes every man she meets to fall in love with her, or least want to bed her. (The downside being she's a bit of a black widow to a couple of these guy
علی
Jul 17, 2007 علی rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
خواندن اثار هوارد فاست کمک می کند تا تاریخ آمریکا را به گونه ای دیگر، از درون آینه ی ادبیات بشناسیم. اگرچه نه به آن دقت و جزئیات که تاریخ یک قرن فرانسه را می شود از طریق خواندن آثار بالزاک شناخت، با این همه هوارد فاست یک آمریکایی ست که با همه ی دید انتقادی نسبت به فرهنگ و تاریخ ملتش، هم چنان دلسوز مردم و میهن خود باقی مانده است. مهاجران را باجلان فرخی ترجمه کرده و انتشارات اساطیر در 1371 منتشر کرده است. نسل دوم را به فارسی ندیده ام. با وجودی که در برابر دیگر آثار هوارد فاست آنچنان درخشش ندارد، ا ...more
Joan
Jul 15, 2011 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I love the saga of the Lavette family, This one covers the years from 1934 to 1946. It focuses on Barbara, Daughter of Dan and Jean and takes us from the depression to World War II and beyond.

For a good bit of her life, barbara tries to run away from her family's wealth and power. Her life goes through many changes along the way from Jean marries John Whittier and Dan Marries May Ling. Barbara becomes a writer Meets Marcel and falls in love, Travels widely and has experiences that most of us ca
Mary Frances
Mar 17, 2014 Mary Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This continues to be a surprisingly good series. While on one level it's your basic family saga, the author enriches what would otherwise be a soap opera with politic commentary and consideration of social issues. Glad I found the series.
Misti
Feb 20, 2016 Misti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found it very hard to enter the book, as I have not read any previous ones in the series. However, I fell in love with story and very much enjoyed it!
Pam
Aug 28, 2015 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in the series of the Lavette Family. These books were written in the 80's but I just got around to reading them in 2000.
Beth Bedee
I'm addicted to this series. I love Howard Fast's writing style. I have become so invested in these characters.

Like "The Immigrants," this one sweeps fairly quickly through time. The story starts in 1934 and ends in 1946. I thought if offered an interesting point of view of the WWII era. You only get one bit of battlefield footage. Instead, we view the war from a boat off the coast of Oahu. Or from a female journalist in Nazi Germany, and the Burma/Indian theatre. We also get a lot of informati
Barb
Nov 24, 2014 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read the sequel books in this series and I enjoyed them all thoroughly.
Raffaella Faccin
Degna continuazione de "Il vento di San Francisco". Per gli amanti delle saghe familiari sono due chicche immancabili. La storia delle famiglie che vengono introdotte nella precedente parte viene ampliata attraverso la vita dei loro eredi, ovvero la seconda generazione. Opere davvero meritevoli.
Kary
Jun 02, 2015 Kary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved it looking forward to the next installment
Julie
Jul 11, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a family saga that takes us on a journey.
Oct 04, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I read the more I like the series.
Craig Weber
May 20, 2016 Craig Weber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it

I love how the author has woven the lives of the characters together in a tapestry that deep and varied.
Daniela
Jun 06, 2011 Daniela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like the first book "the immigrants" I'm liking this book a lot. He has this very easy to read and easy to relate to style of writing. It's very interesting to see the struggles and successes of first generation immigrants. Being one myself, it puts my own life and struggles large and small in perspective. Very interesting to observe immigrants lives through the centuries. Interesting perspective of their accounts of the war in Europe.
Gail Mchugh
Apr 01, 2015 Gail Mchugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book.The characters were so real. I was also grateful it continued where the first left off and we did not lose any of the characters. I was disappointed with the end though. I wanted Barbara to care more for Bernie. I suppose I wanted her to be happy after all she had been through. I also would have liked to know Joe more but I guess you cannot have everything. I was sad it ended. That's what I call a good book.
Amy
Aug 07, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books
This is the second book in the Lavette family series. Dan Lavette and Jean Seldon have a daughter, Barbara. This is her story- she's a caring, brave and feisty girl that travels the world working as a journalist. Her journeys take her to Paris, Nazi Germany, Israel, and throughout other historical events of the time. Loved this book as much as the first and I am excited to start the third book in this series!
Dianne McMahan
Fantastic book, continuation
of a great immigration family that makes/ good.
6volumes in all.
Terri Hardy
May 31, 2010 Terri Hardy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Immigrants took me from the turn of the century through the great San Francisco Earthquake. In Second Generation, I followed the Lavette family through the Depression and World War II. It seems that a sequel never can match the original, but still I found this book quite satisfying and anxious to read more.
Leniw
Oct 04, 2013 Leniw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is better than the first one.
Usually I don't like books that follow the lives of the characters for that long but I have to say that I actually developed I kind of bond with them.
It is both a happy and a sad book at the same time. It's like real life I guess.

I can't wait to read the next!
Andrea
Sep 11, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy these Lavette Family books, although the dialogue is a little antiquated and the characters aren't too believable (everyone's a little too smart, beautiful and idealistic). But the history as a backdrop is interesting and I've become attached to the storylines.
Wesley
Liked it well enough. It's good family/generation saga. I like the time period and the location as well. California just prior to and just after WWII. It just took me forever to finish it. Might read the next one later but not next.
Niece
Nov 02, 2014 Niece rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-sagas
Great 2nd book in the Immigrant saga
Set San Francisco at the time of the great earthquake-5 in saga-great read!
Bonita Adair
Powerful shipyard making driven, Daniel and Barbara, his daughter led very different lives. The writer made another fascinating and absorbing. Thumbs up! Looking forward for third book, The Establishment.
Michael
Jun 28, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this trilogy series. Wish it could of been made into a TV series. Even though I read these books years ago, I can still remember the trials & tribulations this family went through.
Linda
Apr 13, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lost-in-fire
I enjoyed this book. I liked reading about a time past in novel form. I was born in 1943 so I was a baby when my Dad went off to war. Following this family was a good read for me.
M
May 12, 2009 M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in a series. I love this author. I love stories where you follow characters through long periods of time. I'm on to the next book in the series!
  • American Dreams (Crown Family Saga, #2)
  • Write Right!: A Desktop Digest of Punctuation, Grammar, and Style, 4th Edition
  • Prisoner in a Red-Rose Chain
  • The Dreaming Suburb (The Avenue, #1)
  • Babyface
  • Calico Palace
  • Highways to a War
  • Penmarric
  • Girls' Night In
Howard Fast (1914–2003) was one of the most prolific American writers of the twentieth century. He was a bestselling author of more than eighty works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and screenplays. The son of immigrants, Fast grew up in New York City and published his first novel upon finishing high school in 1933. In 1950, his refusal to provide the United States Congress with a list of possible ...more
More about Howard Fast...

Lavette Family (6 books)
  • The Immigrants (Lavette Family, #1)
  • The Establishment (Lavette Family, #3)
  • The Legacy (Lavette Family, #4)
  • The Immigrant's Daughter (Lavette Family, #5)
  • An Independent Woman (Lavette Family, #6)

“would have died there. Right there. And she didn’t say anything. She didn’t even cry at first. She just handed the letter to Pop, and he read it, and then he put his head down on the table and began to cry.” 0 likes