Start by marking “Soup: A Recipe to Nourish Your Team and Culture” as Want to Read:
Soup: A Recipe to Nourish Your Team and Culture

Soup: A Recipe to Nourish Your Team and Culture

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  349 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Why it matters who's stirring the pot "Soup" offers an inspirational business fable that explains the "recipe" you can use to create a winning culture and boost employee morale and engagement. The story follows Nancy, the newly anointed CEO of America's Favorite Soup Company. She has been brought in to reinvigorate the brand and bring success back to a company that has los ...more
Published May 24th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soup

Jennifer Calhoun
Sep 25, 2011 Jennifer Calhoun rated it it was ok
Had to read it for work and thought it was ok but over simplifying and idealistic about how culture change can happen in corporate america.
Jeff
Apr 22, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it
I really enjoy Jon Gordon's books. His simple yet effective "parables" help me to build "culture" in my classroom. I think the thing I will take away from this particular book is Success Friday's. I want to share in my students success and hopefully create more successes.

Enjoyable and easy read.
Carlee
Aug 11, 2015 Carlee rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book, it's an easy read and interesting.

If you are in a leadership position in a failing company - this book contains great ideas for getting things back on track. If you want to change the culture of your family life, this book is also for you.
Michael
The problem with these management fables is that you have to also be a good story teller to get your point across in a convincing fashion. Otherwise, just write a good business book. The "fable" depicted here was pretty weak but the message about team and culture was actually pretty good.
Berj Akian
Mar 17, 2015 Berj Akian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
A fun, easy, and inspiring read! Thank you Jon Gordon.

By the end I was cheering for the whole Soup, Inc. team and I was hungry for Grandma's soup. Where can I find some?
Thadeus
Oct 29, 2014 Thadeus rated it liked it
This book was well written and the story was a good way to share principles of building a culture of greatness.

Recommended for those in leadership or management positions.
Matt Cairns
Feb 09, 2015 Matt Cairns rated it really liked it
A quick read packed with great advice for current and aspiring leaders. A lot of corners turned down to go back to for note taking and re-reading.
Dolores Bloomfield
Mar 31, 2015 Dolores Bloomfield rated it it was amazing
Great book to develop leadership and teamwork! Gordon takes an interesting approach to describe how passion can change everything.
Sherry Currie
Mar 29, 2015 Sherry Currie rated it liked it
I read this after reading Energy Bus, so seemed very similar except instead of a bus it was soup. I enjoyed it but seemed redundant.
GoldenjoyBazyll
Sep 04, 2015 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it it was amazing
GREAT story and very easy to understand! Really defines positive management of teams!
Muhammad Ali
Jun 22, 2016 Muhammad Ali rated it really liked it
Create engaging, positive family like relationships for a business to succeed.
Realkeshia
Dec 10, 2015 Realkeshia rated it it was amazing
A Great business story on culture, people and engagement of employees.
Susan
Jul 14, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
very interesting book on team culture
Maggie Livreri
Jan 23, 2015 Maggie Livreri rated it liked it
Good message just super cheesy.
Anthony
Jan 17, 2014 Anthony rated it really liked it
A little on the cheesy side, however it does serve up a recipe to create a culture of trust and passion. A good quick read for anyone looking for a burst of inspiration in trying to turn their culture around.
Jolene Haack
Some good pointers and ideas but a little cutesy for me.
Kelly Haithcock
Jan 03, 2014 Kelly Haithcock rated it really liked it
I plan on re-reading this one again in a few weeks after I get finished with some leisure reading.

I am a new manager in my company and I found a lot of the issues the main character faced similar. I am working through our new year objectives and I believe this is going to help me tremendously.
Mindy Hostetler
Mar 06, 2013 Mindy Hostetler rated it liked it
Inspiring & insightful information on the recipe to reach your team and build a trusting and family-like relationship with your employees. The way the info is laid out is as a cute enough story, but that aspect wasn't very well written in my opinion. From a story perspective I'd rate this book as something a high schooler could have written, but from a business leader's perspective on the actual "recipe to sucess", I couldn't agree more.
Urmylifenow
Oct 05, 2010 Urmylifenow rated it it was amazing
This cute story has incredible information for those of us who are managers, and need some inspiration for our Teams. I took so many of the lessons here and have applied them to the way I manage my staff. Large or small, the steps will work for any team! Extremely helpful! A must read for anyone that is looking for help with motivating employees and creating an atmosphere where everyone 'stirs the pot!'
Susan
Sep 21, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read. It includes story with non-fiction reading that gives real meaning to bringing passion to whatever job you do. Tons of lessons to learn from it, be reminded of, and live out. I need to be a stirrer of my own soup despite other's decisions. I need to find the passion in whatever job I do. I need to be the instigator of change.
Mtbike40
Dec 03, 2010 Mtbike40 rated it it was amazing
Jon Gordon delivers again with an excellent book on the building strong positive teams. Jon is a master of telling a story to share business concepts that will work with any company. I liked that Joy from the Energy Bus made a cameo appearance in this book. I would recommend this book for anyone who believes in the power of positive attitude.
Lori
Jun 10, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Small, super easy book that I liked a lot. It istold in story format. Picture your grandma putting all of her love into making the home made soup and see how this concept translates itself into the work environment. Everyone is a leader. I hope everyone finds a way to "stir the pot in this way"!
Terry
Dec 08, 2013 Terry rated it really liked it
Great leadership book! As a CEO I feel like I have to do many of the things in this book to survie! However, I feel this book will be great for my sups!
PS yes we are snowed in today, so that is the reason for all the reviews!
Jill Hardy
Feb 12, 2013 Jill Hardy rated it it was amazing
Quick read, good common sense book tthat makes you rethin
k what you already know, brings imperfect to the front. The chaper, I think 22 when it talked about the relationships it really touched home. Plan to share with my networking group.
Marc Bowers
Oct 18, 2011 Marc Bowers rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book by Jon Gordon. His storytelling while providing invaluable information is amazing. If you want to create a strong and super team along with business culture then you must read this book.
Karyn Lewis
Aug 13, 2012 Karyn Lewis rated it really liked it
Very easy to read parable about a company that finds inspiration from a wise grandma who shares what makes her soup so wonderful. Gordon gives sound advice to leaders in all areas of life. Glad I read it!
Kim
Oct 09, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Another great read by Jon Gordon. He does such a great job with his parables/stories. If you have a team or co-workers, this is a book worth reading.
Deb
Oct 19, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
Favorite book about building a culture where you are nourished and thriving. This is a very gentle story, with a lot of impact.
Darnella Moore
Sep 11, 2013 Darnella Moore rated it it was amazing
One of the best organizational leadership books I've read in a while. A must read, particularly for organizational leaders.
Inna
Oct 17, 2013 Inna rated it liked it
Engagement, optimism, woman CEO, we are family, people management, leadership and you as a main ingredient of your soup.
  • Lead with Luv: A Different Way to Create Real Success
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • Up, Down, or Sideways: How to Succeed When Times Are Good, Bad, or in Between
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Building Background Knowledge for Academic Achievement: Research on What Works in Schools
  • How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • Dealing with Difficult Parents: And with Parents in Difficult Situations
  • Building Teachers' Capacity for Success: A Collaborative Approach for Coaches and School Leaders
  • If You Don't Feed the Teachers They Eat the Students!: Guide to Success for Administrators and Teachers
  • The Multiplier Effect: Tapping the Genius Inside Our Schools
  • Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls
  • The Time Of Your Life
  • Whatever It Takes: How Professional Learning Communities Respond When Kids Don't Learn
  • A Game Plan for Life: The Power of Mentoring
  • Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction
  • Unusually Excellent: The Necessary Nine Skills Required for the Practice of Great Leadership
Jon Gordon is an American business consultant and author on the topics of leadership, culture, sales, and teamwork.

Jon Gordon's best-selling books and talks have inspired readers and audiences around the world. His principles have been put to the test by numerous NFL, NBA, and college coaches and teams, Fortune 500 companies, school districts, hospitals and non-profits. He is the author of The Wal
More about Jon Gordon...

“when it comes to building a successful business, it’s not the numbers that the drive the people, but rather the people and relationships that drive the numbers. Creating those relationships and developing that teamwork had to be their top priority.” 0 likes
“While your company has had other leaders stir the pot, they have never had you lead the way. The past is the past. The leaders before you made decisions that resulted in bad soup. But you can make new soup, and, remember, the most important ingredient is you. Who stirs the pot matters, and you, my dear, matter a lot.” 0 likes