Blank-133x176
Nicaragua 1984

Denis Johnson

Nicaragua 1984

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  440 ratings  ·  27 reviews

Set in Nicaragua in 1984, The Stars at Noon is a story of passion, fear, and betrayal told in the voice of an American woman whose mission in Central America is as shadowy as her surroundings. Is she a reporter for an American magazine as she sometimes claims, or a contact person for Eyes of Peace? And who is the rough English businessman with whom she becomes involved? As

Published December 29th 2002 by Christian Bourgois (first published September 12th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Nicaragua 1984, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nicaragua 1984

Kirsten
Actually, the book that really set me straight was Denis Johnson's The Stars At Noon. Johnson is one of those names I've always carried with me, and so one evening when my boyfriend and I were having dinner, and I got an itch to scour the Halfprice Bookstore shelves, when I saw this one title on the shelf, what with its appealing cover and description, and an alluring randomly-read paragraph from the middle of the book, I decided to take it home with me.

Best decision I could have made. I started...more
allison
I usually adore Denis Johnson, but this one just wasn't doing it for me. Shows its age (written in '86) in an unfavorable way. Also, one of the least convincing female narrators I've ever read. (Though maybe that was the point...?)
Micah
Denis Johnson's The Stars at Noon is set in Nicaragua in the aptly chosen year 1984--both the year of Orwell's famous dystopian novel and of Ronald Reagan's second inaugural. The narrative follows an American woman as she first befriends, and then tries to ditch, a British contractor who has divulged a corporate secret that threaten to further destabilize an already war-torn region. But she can never seem to lose him. Instead, she attempts to smuggle him out of the country and into Costa Rica, b...more
Chris Gager
Just started last night. As with "Already Dead" the author starts us out with an articulate character with issues of self-destruction. NOT an appealing girl. Typical DJ... great writing applied to a murky purpose.

- Something different for DJ - a first person female voice.

- The New Yorker has a recent article about today's Nicaragua. Sounds pretty much the same.

- DJ's books REALLY tend to focus on max losers. These people have serious problems. A lot of them tied to substance and behavior(prostit...more
Joseph Rodgers
Titus Burley
Certain writers can capture a sense of place so vividly that location becomes a primary character. Such is the case with Denis Johnson's novel The Stars At Noon. Set in Nicaragua during a bloody time of political and ideological conflict between the Contras and Sandanistas, the oppressive environment that drains hope and vitality out of the characters is as palpable as any character in the tale. Essentially it is a doomed love story narrated by an American prostitute who stumbles into a relation...more
Marina
Denis Johnson loves to torture me with despicable characters. Loves it! A lot of it reminds me of the stuff he ran into in various essays from his book Seek. It is hard to relate to the goings on of the plot because of the lack of accountability. The cause and effect is either non-existent or so completely skewed that I find myself scratching my head. The exchanges between the Interturismo, the Sub-tenente, border guards, everyone has some strange control that the characters lack and are able to...more
Tyler Malone
‘”Only rum is forever.” I agreed.”’

I agree.

This novel is sunstroke on paper. If Cormac McCarty’s Suttree is captured drunkenness, which I would argue this novel has that going for it too, then The Stars at Noon is the dried tongue, manic mindset of a desert wander twenty minutes before her brain stops functioning. If Graham Greene had ever shot heroine and gone on South American bender with in a Volkswagen, he would have written The Stars at Noon, the 1995 novel by Denis Jonson, which takes pl...more
eric
I've read two of Denis Johnson's books now and for me they both carry the association of a fever dream. They're weird and wonderful and repellent and occasionally hard to follow but are invariably interesting. I've also tried to start 'Tree of Smoke' a couple times but it starts with a scene I find so disturbing that I haven't been able to keep going. This book is about a an American woman in Nicaragua in 1984. It's a little unclear what she's up to down there aside from drinking prodigiously an...more
Precast
Have had this one on the shelf for a while, and initially picked it up after I read Jesus' Son by Johnson. Sat down and read the thing in one sitting. Overall I enjoyed the narrative, but it seemed a to drag a little bit at times. To me, the entire book felt like a vivid dream (nightmare?) where there are several distinct settings and people inhabiting those settings, but you're never quite sure how all the pieces fit together, or where you're going next. The writing informs that feeling by refu...more
Wes
Not the best Denis Johnson book, but still a good tale. I enjoyed the setting immensely. Anyone who remembers the tense moments of the 80's will find it familiar. Anyone who has ever felt stuck in a situation wood no rhyme or reason will also ally with this tale. My favorite quote, "In my homeland, I might have told him, we're trained to rank the presence of uniformed Russians with the coming of the Kingdom. 'They're not supposed to be real'" (p126).
Mike Polizzi
Johnson's view of Nicaragua in the Sandanista uprising. As expected-- the writing is exquisite. The plot is tight and moves fast, not waiting to answer questions, but allows the vagueness of the situation to unsettle the reader. The truth is malleable: is the protagonist a former aid worker, turned reporter, turned prostitute, a con artist, or something else entirely. The only thing that seems real-- even in its wartime surreality is Nicaragua.
A number of lines from the book have been excerpted...more
Gabe Baker
The Stars at Noon appears to be one of DJ's least read works, and that is a shame. DJ is a very masculine writer, so his use of a female voice takes some getting used to. But once I settled in, I found this tale of the political and moral confusion of a female American journalist and an English executive in Sandinista-era Nicaragua extremely compelling. There is a strong resemblance to Graham Greene's spy stories, but with a harsher edge.
Matthew
Denis Johnson perfected a swift, intelligent female voice to narrate this book. I liked her very much. Maybe that is why I turned against her when she took up with an Englishman. A dull, interest-demolishing Englishman.

Maybe U.S. authors shouldn't write books about Central America because they're always tempted to describe everything in a frustrated tone. They seem to be drawn to these places for all the wrong reasons.
Dylan Alford
The stories he writes are always secondary to the dialogue and narration...all of his books have a theme of simultaneous damnation, absurdity, and poetic mysticism. I took away lots of great description (Johnson started out as a poet), strange gnostic world view ideas, and a pretty entertaining "story"...this was the last novel by Johnson that I hadn't read, so I'm kind of sad I'm done for now...
Michael
Read this twenty-five years ago, so my memory of it is understandably dim. What remains is a powerful impression of how it hit me then. It was feverish and intense and slightly unreal somehow, and I loved it. Really ought to reread it now lo these many years later. Mayhap I will.
Ed
I'm mad at Sonic Youth. The lyrics to one of Kim's Daydream Nation songs are lifted from this and not credited. I could have been reading this many years before. Maybe I wouldn't be so fat now.
Colin Henderson
Lacking understanding of Central American politics in the 1980s hindered my ability to enjoy the book. But Denis Johnson's mastery of language makes up some of the gap.
Amanda
Johnson's prose is stunning. His characters are reminiscent of Graham Greene's in their psychological understanding of humanity's depraved and yet beautiful nature.
Patrick
One of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. Even in the heart and madness of war, the prose floats like poetry, cutting through the savageness.
Kevin
central american politics and desperation. rather and totally incredible. read it before Salvador by didion and it will two slam you into awareness
Zach
Johnson's weakest novel. Strangely, though, I remember the two characters vividly. So weak for Johnson = stronger than most novelists will ever do.
Jerah
Sep 27, 2007 Jerah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who hate jane austen
possibly my favorite book. prostitutes, passports, nicaragua, shady red-headed americans, rum and juice, sweatiness, intrigue, cynicism.
patty
Late to the party reading Denis Johnson. Why did I wait?!? I enjoyed this story, and am wavering between 3 and 4 star rating.
Richard
I'm sure that the road to Hell is lined with nothing but books by Denis Johnson... and I'm in the waiting rook at the moment.
Ben
"He was faceless. But he had a beautiful ass. His bottom was like an upside-down heart filled with the blood of martyrs."
Christian Kiefer
Christian Kiefer is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2014
  • End Zone
  • Cartesian Sonata and Other Novellas
  • Ray
  • The Barracks Thief
Poet, playwright and author Denis Johnson was born in Munich, West Germany in 1949 and was raised in Tokyo, Manila and Washington. He holds a masters' degree from the University of Iowa and has received many awards for his work, including a Lannan Fellowship in Fiction (1993), a Whiting Writer's Award (1986), the Aga Khan Prize for Fiction from the Paris Review for Train Dreams, and most recently,...more
More about Denis Johnson...
Jesus' Son Tree of Smoke Train Dreams Nobody Move Angels