Start by marking “Summer Brides (includes Fool's Gold, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Summer Brides (includes Fool's Gold, #2.5)

Summer Brides (Fool's Gold #2.5)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  2,383 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Three happily-ever-afters from three of your favorite authors

The Borrowed Bride by Susan Wiggs
During her own bridal shower, Isabel Wharton is whisked away by past love Dan Black Horse to his retreat in the Cascade range. But returning to her Native roots, and Dan's loving arms, is harder than she ever imagined.

A Bridge to Dreams by Sherryl Woods
With her vacation plans foil
Published July 27th 2010 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Summer Brides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Brides

Ada
Feb 16, 2013 Ada rated it liked it
The Borrowed Bride" by Susan Wiggs

DNF. I read 3 pages and got bored silly, flip to the last chapter, didn't even like the ending. Glad I skipped it.

"A Bridge to Dreams" by Sherryl Woods -- 4/5

This is a very cute read. Karyn Chambers is 26 and has been smothered by her loving family for all her life. She's got 5 overprotective older brothers who try to shelter her as much as they can. But all she wants is independence.

After her car bites the bullet and dies, Karyn is forced to give up her vacatio
Marcia  Haskell
Aug 16, 2010 Marcia Haskell rated it really liked it
This volume was a wonderful surprise. My experience with multi-author books has been mixed. Usually I enjoy some of the stories and don't like others, but this book contained 3 very enjoyable stories.

The real surprise is that the stories relate to each other in the way these 3 great authors handle their characters. I would like to have met and become friends with each of the heroines and would like to have been friends with each hero. Nice, fast paced read.

I rate it a 4.5.
Darcy
May 23, 2011 Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, romance
This book was fun to read. I have read things by Wiggs and Mallery before, but Woods was a new author. I am a big Wiggs fan, but for me her story was the weakest in the bunch. Woods story had me wishing for a white knight to come and save me like that too. While Mallery's story had me laughing with all the crazy family antics. If I was in that family I think I would move very far away!
Patti K
Feb 28, 2012 Patti K rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I got this one because I wanted to read Katie's story from Susan Mallery and this was the best way to do it. I figured I could get a little exposure to a couple other authors at the same time. So, the overall collection gets 2.5 stars. The individual reviews follow.

The Borrowed Bride by Susan Wiggs

I really, really wanted to like this one. I loved the fact that the two main characters are Native American and that made me want to like it more. But alas, I just couldn't get into it. I tr
Sharon Helfrich
Jan 10, 2017 Sharon Helfrich rated it liked it
Cute little quick read, nice that it's set in the summer when it's so cold outside!!
jenjn79
I primarily bought this book for the "Fool's Gold" novella by Susan Mallery since I've really been enjoying the "Fool's Gold" series. I ended up really enjoying all three novellas, though. This is a nice set of contemporary romance stories.

Series Note:
Unknown...a standalone, I believe.

Note:
This story is a reprint, originally published in 1996. I believe Wiggs did some edits to it before this reprinting.

Summary:
After a bad childhood, Isabel Wharton left behind h
Julie Barrett
May 17, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing

Summer Brides by Susan Wiggs
Love this anthology as it contains 3 of the best romance writers out there. The places they take you to and the things you learn make this a very worthwhile read.
The Borrowed Bride by Susan Wiggs
Isabel Wharton lives on Bainbridge Island in WA and has a nursery business. Anthony is who she is to marry.
At her bridal shower She is whisked away by past love Dan Black Horse to the Cascades Mountains for an overnight stay. At least they will finish the business they never
Carol Burnside
This is a collection of three stand alone novellas:

The Borrowed Bride by Susan Wiggs (1996)

I'm a Wiggs fan. Susan gives us a charming second-chance-at-love story, which I'm a sucker for. My only nit in this book was Isabel's fiance, Anthony. Even if he did have a great family that
Pam Koenig
Dec 19, 2016 Pam Koenig rated it liked it
Only read the book by Susan Mallery
Synthetic Darkness
Feb 23, 2016 Synthetic Darkness rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Synthetic Darkness by: Mom
The Borrowed Bride by Susan Wiggs

What can I say I love this story! Dan well I fell in love with him about as soon as he showed up.

Isabel was interesting at least that's the first word that comes to mind. I came to love her but she has her faults.

Now Anthony. I did not like him one bit. I mean who could possibly love someone who has no time for them? I don't think I could.

A Bridge to Dreams by Sherryl Woods

Love love love! I want a Brad of my very own.

Karyn Chambers is looking forward to her
Jasmine Riel
I plan on reading the entire Fool's Gold series by Susan Mallery, so I decided to to buy this book since it came with two other stories as well.

"The Borrowed Bride" (2 stars)
This was just weird to me and while the writing was just fine, compared to the others, this was bland. I liked the idea of being swept away right before the wedding, but the way it developed was kind of strange and I was thrown off by the whole forgotten heritage thing.

"A Bridge to Dreams" (3 stars)
Now this was very very cut
Fedora
Jan 10, 2011 Fedora rated it liked it
RoseMari
Oct 06, 2010 RoseMari rated it really liked it
Summer Brides
Katie’s sister is getting married to Katie’s ex-fiancé and having a big four-day to-do up at Gold Rush Ski Lodge and Resort in the mountains of the small town that we already know and love, Fool’s Gold. Her mother, knowing that Katie will be hounded relentlessly is she shows up without a date, talks Katie into taking her best friend’s son, Howie. The two friends have been trying to get Katie and Howie together since they were teenagers, back when Katie was quite chubby and Howie w
Sara
Jan 10, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Marina
May 08, 2013 Marina rated it really liked it
I give "The Borrowed Bride" 3.5 stars. Nice story and characters.
Spoiler
Note to Self: Thelma, Washington, 1996
Isabel Wharton(ex,plant nursery owner,half Native American)+Dan Black Horse(ex,Native American,lodge owner,musician).

I give "A Bridge to Dreams" 4 stars. Sweet tale. Nice characters. Fun.Would love to have more stories about the brothers.They were a hoot.Grins.
Spoiler
Note to Self: San Francisco, California, 1990
Karyn Chambers(26yo,paralegal,youngest sis)+Brad Willis(32yo,ex-car racer)
Jeanne
Aug 09, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This three stories in one book, was a nice little read. In "The Borrowed Bride", Isabel Wharton is at her bridal shower for her soon to be wedding to Anthony Cossa, when her ex-boyfriend, Dan Black Horse shows up and takes her away. In "A Bridge to Dreams" Karyn Chambers old VW dies and she has to cancel her vacation plans and buy a new car. There at the dealership she meets Prince Charming, Brad Willis. He offers show her a vacation right there in her own home town of San Francisco. In "Sister ...more
Donna
Jul 28, 2010 Donna rated it liked it
I've read the Wiggs novella, The Borrowed Bride before, and I disliked it even more this time. I didn't like anything about it, both main characters were irritating. I've never read the Woods novella A Bridge to Dreams and it was cute, predictable, and boring. I didn't dislike anything, but there weren't any interesting elements, either. I really liked the Mallery story, Sister of the Bride, and it was the reason I bought the book. I did find the ending cheesy and improbable, but it contained lo ...more
JazzRizz
May 17, 2012 JazzRizz rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2012
Summer Brides by Susan Wiggs
This was a pretty decent story.

A Bridge to Dreams by Sherryl Woods
I really enjoyed this one. Vacation plans to Hawaii end up chucked in lieu of a new car. A handsome ex-race car driver turned Car Dealer Owner (due to ailing father needing to lighten his work load) offers to take a one-week vacation in her home town of San Francisco. A nice story with overprotective brothers :)

Sister of the Bride by Susan Mallery
This is the story I checked the book out for. I adore
Jenn Cunha
Oct 07, 2012 Jenn Cunha rated it liked it
Shelves: own
How do you rate a book that's actually 3 completely different short stories? You can't...I bought this book because I love Susan Mallery (and she definitely did not disappoint!). The others were just perks.

The Borrowed Bride? It was okay. I had a hard time getting into the characters and caring about whether or not they ended up together. True rating - 2.5

Bridge to Dreams? Better. While Brad and Karyn's relationship was super fast, I could almost believe it. I wanted it to be longer though. I w
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Dec 29, 2011 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary romance
Shelves: romance, read-in-2012
This was all right. There was nothing wrong with it, but nothing exciting about it either.

One funny thing was in Susan Mallery's story. The couple are set up by their mothers to attend her sister's wedding weekend extravaganza so she will have a date for it. Everything goes haywire. Aunt Tully seduces the groom's father. The mother of the bride gets drunk and is describing her sex life to her daughter in the father of the bride's presence. (view spoiler)
Maddie
Nov 27, 2010 Maddie rated it liked it
i am on the last book in this full book collation the first two were good but i have read better look at the book the borrowed bride to read about the first one.

in the second book a girl named Karyn Chambers meets a ex-car racer(Brad) who is used to "better" girls. Karyn's vacation plan gets ruined and Brad is there to help they go all around san francisco which they already live in and have the time of their lives but after the vacation will they stay together or will they go in seperate ways.
Veronica
Aug 12, 2016 Veronica rated it really liked it
I read this to read Sister of the Bride because I'm reading Susan Mallery's Fool's Gold series.

Besides Sister of the Bride, the stories were fairly lackluster. There were undercurrents in each that weren't given the proper light of day due to their length. I think as maybe full blown novellas, they would have been better.

As for the one I really wanted...

How adorable was this novella! It was short, sweet, and to the point. A lovely heroine, an even lovelier hero, brought together in the ultimate
Janet
Oct 30, 2011 Janet rated it it was ok
Three short stories - I enjoyed 2 out of three of them but for the most part there are not enough time in these short stories (about 100 pages each) there is not a lot of time to get invested.

The story by Susan Mallery is part of the Fool's Gold series that she writes, but we didnt' see or hear much about Fool's Gold.

Sheryl Woods was about San Francisco(and since I grew up there I liked reading about some of the places I used to visit)

The Susan Wiggs was didn't hold my interest.
Judy Goodnight
I read this library book only for the Fool's Gold novella but decided to read the other stories as well.

Story 1 - The Borrowed Bride by Susan Wiggs - didn't do much for me at all.

Story 2 - A Bridge to Dreams by Sherryl Woods - liked the San Francisco setting, but felt the story could have been better.

Story 3 - Sister of the Bride by Susan Mallery - loved this one! Lots of humor, fun premise.
Maria
Sep 07, 2010 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Three stories by great authors. The Borrowed Bride by Susan Wiggs didn't capture my imagination, A Bridge To Dreams by Sherryl Woods also lacked something and failed to get my interest, but the final story, Sister of the Bride by Susan Mallery justified the price of the book. It was funny and appealing and unexpected. Very satisfying read.
Kathleen Burket
Apr 23, 2011 Kathleen Burket rated it it was amazing
"Sister of the Bride," in the anthology Summer Brides, is another great Fool's Gold romance by Susan Mallery. Believable characters, charming romance, and a humorous wedding. My only regret is that we didn't see more of the town regulars. This is the only story in this anthology that I read.
Jodi
Oct 12, 2010 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Really enjoyed this one! I like all 3 authors so it was fun to read a short story by each of them. I especially liked the Sherryl Woods story and the idea of taking a vacation in your hometown and seeing it how a tourist does.
deborah lawson
Dec 07, 2014 deborah lawson rated it it was amazing
This was my first visit to Fool's Gold, and it made me want to meet the entire town. I'm a sucker for series like this where the books can be read in any order, but you feel like you've moved to a new town and have lots of new friends. Very light and fun read.
Amy Pfeiffer
Mar 11, 2011 Amy Pfeiffer rated it liked it
I wish I could rate each story individually. I would give 4 stars to Susan Mallery's story. It was by far the best. 3 stars to the middle story. The heroine was too simple making her difficult to like or empathize with. And the first story gets 1 star. I couldn't even finish it.
Lauren
Jul 26, 2013 Lauren rated it liked it
Susan Mallery's Sister of the Bride was the reason I got this book and it was my favorite of the three stories. Wigg's and Woods' were good, but Mallery's Fool's Gold novella was the most entertaining.
  • Sister of the Bride (Fool's Gold, #2.5)
  • Return to Rose Cottage: The Laws of Attraction / For the Love of Pete (Rose Cottage Sisters #3-4)
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
More about Susan Wiggs...

Fool's Gold (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Chasing Perfect (Fool's Gold, #1)
  • Almost Perfect (Fool's Gold, #2)
  • Finding Perfect (Fool's Gold, #3)
  • Only Mine (Fool's Gold #4)
  • Only Yours (Fool's Gold, #5)
  • Only His (Fool's Gold, #6)
  • Summer Days (Fool's Gold, #7)
  • Summer Nights (Fool's Gold, #8)
  • All Summer Long (Fool's Gold, #9)
  • Just One Kiss (Fool's Gold, #10)