Start by marking “The Abolition of Man” as Want to Read:
The Abolition of Man

The Abolition of Man

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,798 Ratings  ·  762 Reviews
In the classic The Abolition of Man, C.S. Lewis, the most important Christian writer of the 20th century, sets out to persuade his audience of the importance and relevance of universal values such as courage and honor in contemporary society. Both astonishing and prophetic, The Abolition of Man is one of the most debated of Lewis’s extraordinary works. National Review chos ...more
Published April 7th 2015 by HarperOne (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about The Abolition of Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abolition of Man

Tim
Mar 12, 2010 Tim rated it it was amazing
When things get bad, I take out the bourbon. When, as occasionally happens, time drags on and things don't get any better, I put the bourbon away and take out C. S. Lewis. His books are short, readable, and filled with an uncanny amount of wisdom. His genius, and the reason he's always been a comfort to me, lies in his ability to convince me that the world as it appears to be, the world that seems so oppressive, is not the whole story.

The lifeline of depression, the fuel from which it draws all
Allie
Dec 08, 2007 Allie rated it it was amazing
I have so many quotes marked from this book that I might as well just memorize the entire thing. This book alone introduced me to the writings of C.S. Lewis, and I am forever indebted to perceptions. Virtue, as he defines it, is the ability to recognize what is true, good and beautiful. To be able to admit that something has value.

Difficult in our world.

How did we get to the point that recognizing the goodness or beauty in something or someone else makes us feel as though part of our own soul is
Douglas Wilson
Jan 05, 2016 Douglas Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Excellent. Read various times. Just listened to an audio version in the fall of 2015. Although I have read this book multiple times, the last time through on audio, I noticed that the last section contained layers I had not ever really understood. I listened to it again (Jan. 2016) with that in mind, and yep, definite layers. This book is deep.
Mike (the Paladin)
Jun 12, 2013 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing
I've meant to read this for a long time. The edition of this I read had both The Great Divorce and The Abolition of Man. The Great Divorce is one of my all time favorite books, of any genre. This book is also excellent, though of a totally different type.

This book will/does require multiple readings if we want to get the most out of it. Also considering when this book was written (1943) then looking at the world today and seeing how things have progressed it could be eye opening and even a bit f
Clare Cannon
Aug 21, 2011 Clare Cannon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adults & Adults
How could I have done an Arts degree without reading this book?! Lewis was a genius, and everything he writes here feels indescribably relevant to the present time. I had goosebumps while reading it.

So many voices call for the abandonment of all value systems except their own, wishing somehow to 'free' society from the laws that have governed it only to impose their own, more arbitrary code.

Every humanities student (not to mention teacher) must read it.
Ron
After my second reading:

"Can education influence morality?" asks the back cover blurb. Of course, the musings of an Oxford don seventy years ago could not be relevant to the current state of education in America. Or, could it? For a reader already concerned about the downward spiral of the quality of our education, this book will pour fuel on the fire.

The trends Lewis warned of in the 1940s now permeate our schools--all of them. The result may be men with unimaginable power, but no moral compa
booklady
The Abolition of Man is a short work but very powerful. As with everything by C. S. Lewis, we are in for reading/listening pleasure as well as education. He fills our minds with his own terms (Men Without Chests) examples taken from real life (The Green Book) and convincing arguments from literature (Faust). Can you just imagine being one of his lucky students?

Published in 1943, Abolition is more applicable today than when it was written but probably the least known of his major works. When I d
Desclian
Apr 29, 2008 Desclian rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Aoi Leann, Mike McCaffery
Simply amazing. Probably the best book by CS Lewis I've ever read. And the most terrifying. I took particular interest in the book because of conversations with my friend Cadmus in Japan, who was of the opinion that Instinct towards preserving the species is all that drives humanity in our lives (to sum up his general position). This book shows (and I believe proves) that such ideas, along with others that are similar or spring from it (such as that values are void and that traditional ideas mus ...more
Bruce
Sep 04, 2010 Bruce rated it it was amazing
I read this for a third time due to the inclusion of several excerpts in Ayn Rand’s Marginalia. Rand virulently hated the book and its author, and I’ve always wanted to examine more closely why, since I admire both authors. Her primary disagreement is his coupling of magic and science by claiming they both wanted to achieve power over nature, but by different means. I agree with her that this is an unjustified coupling with its implied vilification of science.

She, on the other hand, seems to for
Skylar Burris
Apr 24, 2010 Skylar Burris rated it it was amazing
In the Abolition of Man, C.S. Lewis confronts the modern attempt to overthrow the “doctrine of objective value, the belief that certain attitudes are really true, and others really false, to the kind of thing the universe is and the kind of things we are.” As such, it is a book that should be of interest to any adherent of any traditional religion.

Though Lewis is a Christian, he does not take a specifically Christian approach in this book; instead, he uses logical and moral reasoning to attack
Mark Adderley
May 23, 2009 Mark Adderley rated it it was amazing
An important criticism of the educational system in Britain and America; it makes a good companion piece with G. K. Chesterton's The Everlasting Man.
Laurel Hicks
An excellent essay on the dangers of the word 'only.'
Christy Luis
Jun 21, 2015 Christy Luis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
About: To virtue or not to virtue? That is the question. In this powerful little book, Lewis examines why human values come as a package deal or not at all—and the disastrous consequences if humanity chooses to forgo virtue entirely. Genre- Philosophy; Subject- Ethics; Published- 1944.

I am now going to attempt to summarize the contents of this book; but as is always the case with summaries, it will lose much of its potency (its full explanations, for example, as well as its accompanying quoted e
§--
Apr 02, 2010 §-- rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, religion
Wow. He really gave it to 'em good.

Lewis begins with a discussion of education, contrasting what all of history's great thinkers on education (Plato, Locke, Rousseau) thought of its purpose with how it is done today. Now, emotions are trivialized, sentiments (such as patriotism, duty) "explained away," and morals made so abstract as to have nothing to do with life.

Lewis then defends Natural Law, the unanimous and universal idea of absolute morality that was brutally murdered by Kant and Nietzs
Kyle Worlitz
Aug 07, 2011 Kyle Worlitz rated it did not like it
I read this, because a religious friend asked me to. Frankly, its a lot of intellectual blathering that could be summed up much more concisely, and effectively. Lewis tries to argue that human nature will change for the worse the more rationalist we become. I believe that on closer examination, what worries him isn't that human nature might change in the future. It's that human nature may not have been what he wanted it to be in his present. Lewis is an intelligent man, but he makes the same mis ...more
Susan
Jan 30, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I think I only understood about 1/2 of it, but luckily it was every other sentence, so I feel like I got the gist of what he was trying to say. It was strange to feel like the Intellectuals probably haven't changed all that much since CS Lewis was shooting holes in their arguments. I think there are a few parts here I ought to memorize for some discussions that come up with people who are for the abolition of man without quite realizing it! I definitely feel I've met "men without chests", and I ...more
Sherwood Smith
Jun 06, 2009 Sherwood Smith added it
Shelves: history
This is arguably Lewis's most brilliant book, and probably his most intellectual. It furnishes more quotes than most of his others, as he argues for a universal morality. In knocking down the emerging post-modernists of the time (beginning with Nietzsche) he predicts pretty much what's happening now.

"Man's conquest of nature turns out to be nature's conquest of man. All her retreats turn out to be tactical withdrawals."
Sean
Apr 06, 2013 Sean rated it it was amazing
A classic analysis of our educational and ethical decline. "We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the gelding be fruitful."
Jamie
Jun 15, 2016 Jamie rated it really liked it
(The Inklings Series is a monthly series featuring the works of my two favorites, J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, or books about them. But I don’t want it to be just me chatting about these books, so that’s where y’all come in! I’ll announce the book at least four weeks in advance of when the discussion post will go live, so you have plenty of time to get the book and read it. Then, the following month, I’ll post a discussion post and let the fun begin!!)

Y’all, I’m going to start this with some r
Homeschoolmama
Oct 20, 2014 Homeschoolmama rated it really liked it
This is not the sort of book you take to the beach for a leisurely read. Nor is it the kind of book you read in bed before retiring; no, this is the kind of book you need to sit up straight in a chair for, with a notebook and pen, or at least a highlighter...
It is one of Lewis' shorter books, but it is packed w/his customary logical arguments and illustrations. In Abolition of Man , Lewis writes about the cultural implications of subverting natural law. He starts out with a refutation of The
Amber
Jan 25, 2009 Amber rated it it was amazing
This book is only 81 pages long and it’s mind blowing. It illuminated answers for several questions that I’d both been wondering about for years and was still articulating in my mind, especially regarding education and progress. It also made some arguments about science that I’m going to have to roll around in my mind a bit. Here are some of the world-defining arguments Lewis manages to cover in just 81 pages:

If nothing is self-evident, nothing can be proved (p. 40).

For every one pupil who needs
Jean
Sep 24, 2011 Jean rated it it was amazing
In "The Abolition of Man", C.S. Lewis presents a solid case of the dangers of moral relativism. True 50 years ago when Lewis wrote it and visionary as it applies more than ever today. I highly recommend this book. If you choose to read it, ask yourself if you recognize any ways, sometimes subtle and sometimes not so subtle, in which you or your children are being conditioned to think through our education system, scientific "advancements", the media, government, etc. The "nonjudgmental, politica ...more
Marc Hutchison
Jul 07, 2014 Marc Hutchison rated it it was amazing
Not an easy read, but very important. Lewis gave these lectures in 1947, addressing concerns about the effect of education on values. He makes the point that the direction education was taking would create "men without chests" - that is, men (and women) without "sentiment", or strong feelings about values - what is good or bad, right or wrong. It is evident from the state of our "civilization" that he was right.

He further says that continuing on this course will result in the "abolition of Man",
Jacob Aitken
How did I go so long without reading this? In many ways its a natural law primer. Lewis does a good job showing how secular anti-natural law theories devolve into incoherence, but the book is so much more. In it we see a glimpse--one rarely acknowledged by Lewis's evanjellyfish disciples today--of the coming global state and its scientific elite. This book should be read in conjunction with That Hideous Strength (easily the 5th greatest novel of the 20th century; the other four were by Tolkien). ...more
Colleen Lynch
Apr 06, 2011 Colleen Lynch rated it really liked it
This is a mind-blowing book. Will change your opinion of CS Lewis - he's what some would call a genius, disregarding his children's literature fame, and this will make you think. I could not have read this except in a class for college, so if you are in high school you should probably wait, but if you want something "collegiate" (no idea if i'm using that term correctly) or "academic" or simply amazing, you should probably read this. Will be difficult for some, but worth it nonetheless. Importan ...more
Josh
Dec 21, 2012 Josh rated it really liked it
I found that this argument has a lot of relevance and weight even today so many decades after it was written. It is.a good argument against those claiming that there is no objective morality. For further and up to date study I recommend the articles on http://www.reasonablefaith.org.
John
Dec 11, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
A short, fascinating essay on the modern view of moral value. I highly recommend reading it if only for the last chapter, which is a scarily prophetic examination of modern man's "conquest of nature".
Mary Ronan Drew
Jun 11, 2011 Mary Ronan Drew rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
Lewis' comments on teaching c 1945. He's concerned that education divorced from natural law was leading to a world of people whose idea of "good" is to obey every impulse. He was right.
Kevin Heldt
Jun 02, 2011 Kevin Heldt rated it really liked it
Lewis. Brilliant. As always. This incisive book cuts through a lot of the "modern" nonsense that has attached itself to education and philosophy. A short book yet quite profound.
Ashley
Feb 25, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I'll always come back to this book. CS Lewis sums up the depravity found in education today.
C.S. Lewy 4 48 Dec 24, 2014 09:24PM
  • Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World
  • Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis
  • Deliver Us from Evil
  • The Mind of the Maker
  • The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life
  • Warranted Christian Belief
  • Evil and the Justice of God
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...

“We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.” 157 likes
“You can’t go on “seeing through” things forever. The whole point of seeing through something is to see something through it. To “see through” all things is the same as not to see.” 92 likes