Start by marking “Mrs. Dalloway / A Room of One's Own” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Dalloway / A Room of One's Own

Mrs. Dalloway / A Room of One's Own

In Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf details Clarissa Dalloway’s preparations for a party of which she is to be hostess, exploring the hidden springs of thought and action in one day of a woman’s life. Paired here with A Room of One’s Own, a masterful and provocative essay on women’s role in society, this beautiful hardcover edition will be a welcome addition t
Published November 15th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Dalloway / A Room of One's Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Dalloway / A Room of One's Own

Marla
Mar 25, 2014 Marla rated it liked it
I barely liked it. I get talked into reading books by my girls, who are reading them for class. And I do love classics. So daughter #2 starts out with saying she has to watch the movie The Hours (based on Mrs. Dalloway) and compare it to the book. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one of the two of us that actually read the book and I'm completely certain that when daughter #2 was asking my opinion, she was looking for fodder for her paper. Mama ain't no fool.

That being said, I feel for her. The book
Leabelle
Oct 26, 2011 Leabelle rated it really liked it
Ahh.. to be one of the Bloomsbury set, writers with life experience and no need of a paying job. Both these novels are worth reading, Woolf brings life to Dalloway as a soul hovering between worlds but constrained by her place in English society. In Room of One's own, her classic autobiographical essay, she brings insight to herself as a writer, the moods of her illness as she portends its final dramatic conclusion, art in her case preceding life. The many challenges she faced as a woman writer ...more
Pam
Jun 17, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
i haven't read mrs. dalloway yet, i tried and i just couldn't do it, but i did read and really enjoy a room of ones own, i heard that it was a good place to start and ease into her writing style and i'd agree with that statement bc although most of it was stream of consciousness it was much more structured than i've found mrs. dalloway (in the few pages i read of it), i'm feeling a little discouraged about mrs. dalloway but my brain just can't follow it right now and i'm only a few pages in so i ...more
J.M. Johnson
Feb 07, 2014 J.M. Johnson rated it it was amazing
I've already read Mrs. Dalloway a few times, and I believe I will always find something new with each read. Woolf never comes out and tells us things, she leaves it up to the readers to grasp their own meaning. She trusts our intelligence enough that we'll find answers. This book takes place over the course of one day and within this day, Woolf is able to tell us so much about her characters and about the human existence.
A Room of One's Own - A must read if you want to begin to understand Virgi
Gina
Jan 19, 2016 Gina rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
For my first time reading Woolf, I was incredibly disappointed. Mrs. Dalloway might be inventive in its structure, but it involves the same boring upper class people and their social lives that so many novels have covered already. A Room of One's Own is notable for its thesis that female cultural production is dependant on financial resources, but as much as the position is understandable for its time, I hated the insistence on the supreme genius of Shakespeare and the viewpoint that art that in ...more
I did not like this novel. It was used for one of my writing classes and I just couldn't get into the novel. I wasn't impressed with the writing style or the main character...actually, I didn't like any of the characters, for that matter. I know some people who absolutely adore Woolf's writing style, but I'm not one of them. It was interesting to hear my classmates discuss the imagery and descriptions throughout the novel, but I just didn't like it. Nope, definitely not a fan.

*Taken from my book
Brittany Clough
Jun 10, 2012 Brittany Clough rated it liked it
I wish I could say I loved it--I really wanted to--but I didn't. At times it was maddening because I would read twenty pages and all that happened was Mrs. Dalloway walked to the flower market and thought about something. It wasn't terrible and I am fascinated with Woolf's life so I am praying her other works are more entertaining.
Sylvia Sarno
Aug 02, 2013 Sylvia Sarno rated it it was amazing
I read A Room of One's Own in college and it made a big impression on me. I highly recommend it for women who want to write. Mrs. Dalloway likewise is memorable - visual with great characterization. Mrs. Dalloway herself is hard to forget.
Sarah Alm
Aug 24, 2016 Sarah Alm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The five-star rating is for A Room of One's Own, which is exquisite. Mrs. Dalloway I simply cannot engage in. Hopefully someday I will. All of the hardcovers in this "two works" series from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt are beautiful.
Kari Ni
Mar 26, 2016 Kari Ni rated it liked it
I should read it again.
Talyah
May 11, 2015 Talyah marked it as wishlist
Shelves: classics
I'm only here for "a room of ones own"
Charmaine Vannimwegen
Loved it! Every woman should read this book. It's acerbic at times, witty most of the time, and just an entertaining discussion about a woman's place in literature and education in general.
Cassie
I'm calling it chick lit, even though it predates the genre, lol! I'd love to have a room of mine own, but with texting and facebook, I still probably wouldn't be able to write a novel. :)
Tatia
May 28, 2013 Tatia rated it liked it
It begins well and then I got lost... I was a little bored and a little disappointed by the middle of the book.
I chose 3 stars because it gave me some thoughts to reflect on though.
Kristi Rojas
Kristi Rojas rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2015
Athina Fransson
Athina Fransson rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Teresa Luneau
Teresa Luneau rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Laura Scott
Laura Scott rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2010
Candace Shoemaker
Candace Shoemaker rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2013
Kim Forsythe
Kim Forsythe rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2016
Gabriella Barnard-Edmunds
Gabriella Barnard-Edmunds rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2011
John Madera
John Madera rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2017
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2011
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2016
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
May 26, 2013
Timothy Deer
Timothy Deer rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Ariel
Ariel rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2014
  • Palliser Novels
  • A Whale of a Tale
  • Radiohead: Hysterical and Useless
  • Mosh Pit
  • Lucy Longwhiskers Gets Lost (Magic Animal Friends #1)
  • The Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces: Volume 1
  • Adobe Photoshop CS5 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
  • The Economics of Attention: Style and Substance in the Age of Information
(Adeline) Virginia Woolf was an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928), and the book-length es
More about Virginia Woolf...