Mrs. Dalloway / A Room of One's Own

Mrs. Dalloway / A Room of One's Own

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In Mrs. Dalloway,Virginia Woolfdetails Clarissa Dalloway’spreparations for a party of which she is to be hostess, exploring the hidden springs of thought and action in one day of a woman’s life.Paired here with A Room of One’s Own,amasterfuland provocative essay on women’s role in society, this beautiful hardcover edition will be a welcome addition to the library of any Wo...more
Published November 15th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Marla
I barely liked it. I get talked into reading books by my girls, who are reading them for class. And I do love classics. So daughter #2 starts out with saying she has to watch the movie The Hours (based on Mrs. Dalloway) and compare it to the book. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one of the two of us that actually read the book and I'm completely certain that when daughter #2 was asking my opinion, she was looking for fodder for her paper. Mama ain't no fool.

That being said, I feel for her. The book...more
Leabelle
Ahh.. to be one of the Bloomsbury set, writers with life experience and no need of a paying job. Both these novels are worth reading, Woolf brings life to Dalloway as a soul hovering between worlds but constrained by her place in English society. In Room of One's own, her classic autobiographical essay, she brings insight to herself as a writer, the moods of her illness as she portends its final dramatic conclusion, art in her case preceding life. The many challenges she faced as a woman writer...more
J.M. Johnson
I've already read Mrs. Dalloway a few times, and I believe I will always find something new with each read. Woolf never comes out and tells us things, she leaves it up to the readers to grasp their own meaning. She trusts our intelligence enough that we'll find answers. This book takes place over the course of one day and within this day, Woolf is able to tell us so much about her characters and about the human existence.
A Room of One's Own - A must read if you want to begin to understand Virgi...more
Snorkle
I did not like this novel. It was used for one of my writing classes and I just couldn't get into the novel. I wasn't impressed with the writing style or the main character...actually, I didn't like any of the characters, for that matter. I know some people who absolutely adore Woolf's writing style, but I'm not one of them. It was interesting to hear my classmates discuss the imagery and descriptions throughout the novel, but I just didn't like it. Nope, definitely not a fan.

*Taken from my book...more
Brittany Clough
I wish I could say I loved it--I really wanted to--but I didn't. At times it was maddening because I would read twenty pages and all that happened was Mrs. Dalloway walked to the flower market and thought about something. It wasn't terrible and I am fascinated with Woolf's life so I am praying her other works are more entertaining.
Sylvia Sarno
I read A Room of One's Own in college and it made a big impression on me. I highly recommend it for women who want to write. Mrs. Dalloway likewise is memorable - visual with great characterization. Mrs. Dalloway herself is hard to forget.
Charmaine Vannimwegen
Loved it! Every woman should read this book. It's acerbic at times, witty most of the time, and just an entertaining discussion about a woman's place in literature and education in general.
Cassie
I'm calling it chick lit, even though it predates the genre, lol! I'd love to have a room of mine own, but with texting and facebook, I still probably wouldn't be able to write a novel. :)
Tatia
It begins well and then I got lost... I was a little bored and a little disappointed by the middle of the book.
I chose 3 stars because it gave me some thoughts to reflect on though.
Lauren Strausser
Lauren Strausser marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Lin
Lin marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Hermia
Hermia marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Alexmartin
Alexmartin marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
The ViXeN's LaiR
The ViXeN's LaiR marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Jennifer Haley
Jennifer Haley is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2014
Tamo
Tamo added it
May 22, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Laren
Laren marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
(Adeline) Virginia Woolf was an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928), and the book-length es...more
More about Virginia Woolf...
Mrs. Dalloway To the Lighthouse A Room of One's Own Orlando The Waves