Start by marking “Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)” as Want to Read:
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man #8)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  18,241 ratings  ·  221 reviews
WINNER OF THREE EISNER AWARDSKIMONO DRAGONS brings the hunt for Ampersand—the monkey who could unlock the mystery of the male-killing plague— to its explosive climax, as the last man on Earth and his companions finally reach Japan and discover the truth behind Ampersand's abduction. Collects issues #43-48 of Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra's award-winning Vertigo series.
Published November 22nd 2006 by Vertigo (first published November 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Y, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Y

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanWatchmen by Alan MooreBatman by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanFables by Bill Willingham
Comic Books to Appreciate & Love
42nd out of 226 books — 98 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
301st out of 754 books — 1,199 voters

More lists with this book...

Brandon
I was beginning to worry after finishing the last book that the story was starting to decline. Believe me, I was very nervous!

Vaughan appears to indicate that some time has passed since the last collection. It's easy to tell in the fact that at the very least, everyone has slightly longer hair. Yep, Yorick is rocking some lengthy locks.

It's worth noting that some serious stuff goes down in this issue. Which is a breath of fresh air considering the non-events in book 7. We also see the return of
Brenda
Maybe it's because I just finished some amazing epic fantasy (A Dance With Dragons), or maybe I'm just not in the mood, but this volume just felt silly to me. Like I couldn't figure out why I'm still reading this series, even though I've enjoyed it for the most part.

It has gotten a bit stale, but there was some interesting backstory from a couple different characters here. The thing is, I've realized that I don't really care about any of the characters. Yorick could die, and I'd probably be sur
Baal Of
I keep hanging on at this point because I just hate leaving a series unfinished. This volume contains a bunch of backstory that seemed almost desperate, like the author was trying to prove that the stupid shit characters did earlier in the series, made sense in the light of these new revelations. But it came off to me as just empty. The Epiphany character was obnoxious to the point of being a caricature. The worst moment though, was when whatshername's mother (I can't even remember character nam ...more
Kelli
The science bugs me.
Jeff
9/8-9/8
Carnevale’s covers are wilder and more violently colored than before. My favorite by far is of the Japanese screen and fans. The cover of Dr Mann tarting herself up as a rebellious youth is horrifying.

Tons of ultraviolence in this one. Blech. Pointless. Alex’s droogs only slightly less reason for their rampages.

I really wish they’d thought of a more succinct way to wrap this up. Like, they could’ve avoided the obligatory Scooby Doo splitting-up into two groups. Just cut to the part where
Rach
As this story starts to draw to a close (I didn't realize until I'd finished this volume that there are only 2 left), we are finally making headway on getting all of our main characters in the same location, and figuring out how exactly the men all died in the first place.

We finally know that the "Dr. M" that Toyota works for is not Dr. Mann's mom, like I previously suspected, but Dr. Ming, her dad's once-research partner and lover. Both of those scientists were involved in bio-research and clon
Josh
Jul 14, 2008 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I hadn't read any "Y" in about 2 years before getting to read this volume last month, and I was amazed at how much of it came back to me. the characters are extraordinarily well-crafted, all with strong, and unique personalities. this volume begins to unlock the Great Mystery of this entire series, and is pretty awesome.
Jessica
Jan 25, 2009 Jessica rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jessica by: Rick
There should always be one character you can root for in a book. I've come to realize there is nobody in this series, least of all Yorick, that I like. This volume dealt with a lot of the pasts and childhoods of the characters - I still didn't care
Krystl Louwagie
Yup, still rooting for 355 and Yorick-how will I ever be convinced that he should be with Beth, we've never gotten to know her? Isn't it weird that so many stories make us care more about a possible side romance than who's actually supposed to be the love of the main character? Is this just because it's more interesting? Or is it speaking out to all the gazillions of poor folks that have those almost-relationships? Those but-we'd-be-so-good-together-except-we're-going-to-pretend-to-be-just-frien ...more
Hans
Is it irony or prejudice that makes the author choose to stereotype a Canadian pop star as the new leader of the neo-Yakuza? This issue brushes the topic of pop-culture nihilism contrasted against deep and disciplined traditions of the past. This existential quandary of vastly different lifestyles plays out well in Japan, where even today both can be easily found. It is also interesting how this dualism is played out inside the single character of Dr. Mann, with her over-bearing father and very ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
For several volumes now it has been clear that the story of Y: The Last Man is heading to a truly great setting for any story: Japan. In “Kimono Dragons” we finally get there and my fears are realized.

The title alone made me nervous, and just as it implies, Brian K. Vaughan takes a full-on neo-orientalist approach to his latest location. We go through so many stereotypical Japan-peculiarities of and their derivatives in the beginning of the volume that even the story’s very self-conscious way of
Nick
This is actually my second read of Y: The Last Man, so really this is a review of the entire series, rather than just this one volume. It is one of my favorite stories of all time, by one of my favorite writers of all time.

The Last Man is awesome. In a genre that is dominated by male characters, Vaughan decided to make a series where almost the entire cast is female. The main character, Yorick Brown, is a man, but he is not the dominating force, by any means. Agent 355 and Dr. Mann are just as c
Ashley
And now we are coming towards the climatic showdown of Y the Last Man. Some time has passed between Kimono Dragons and Paper Dolls; Beth II has had her daughter, Beth III, and everyone's hair has grown longer, plus some off-hand mentions are made of life debts formed in skipped Asian countries--indications of lost parts of the journey.

But that's okay. It's about time this show got on the road and we learned about the mysterious Doctor M and the wayward ninja, Toyota. For me, this has long been t
Anna
Issue 43: Good cliffhanger, as usual. I like seeing Rose and Dr. Mann's interactions, as well as Yorick's and 355's.

Issue 44: If my brother hadn't give me the wrong issue, I wouldn't have read issue 45 on accident, and I would have been more surprised with the ending of this one. Sucks for me. Although now I understand more of what was happening. I am wary of Rose and I wonder how 355 and Yorick will get Ampersand back.

Issue 45: Curiouser and curiouser...I'm on the edge of my...well, bed.

Issue 4
Thomas McBryde
Another must read graphic novel! One would think that being the last man on the planet, surrounded by women would be a good thing...turns out it's not.

Meet Yorick, an escape artist, college student, and aspiring showman. Life is good for him. His sister is a paramedic, his mom is a senator, and his beautiful girlfriend is about to become his fiancee. What could go wrong?

In one moment every living thing with a Y chromosome dies. Every single male human or animal erupts in spasms and spews blood a
Elizabeth
Apr 06, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Morgan
Shelves: graphic-novels
alana
Yorick and Agent 355 have longer hair, but Dr. Mann doesn't. And then they went to Japan to catch a monkey, and there were robots in brothels and Canadian pop singers and lots of swords. And then they threw in some flashbacks for good measure. Um, it was okay.

The first few issues in the volume do move fast-paced, but in the manner of tv shows starring Keifer Sutherland, it seems to take a long time to get to the point of the adventure.
Patrick
Kimono Dragons

There were so many elements in this Tokyo story to love...the android, the canadian pop singer turned Yakuza boss, Ampersand, the ninja and Dr. Mann's mom...great idea...ehhhh execution...blah ending.

The story just got away from them and got ridiculous and unsatisfying. 3/5

The Tin Man

Dr. Mann's one-shot...I kinda like it, kinda wanted a little more? The life of a lesbian with a dead heart. 4/5

Gehenna

Alter's one-shot...when it rains it pours, huh? After so many that didn't quite liv
Punk
Graphic Novel. The crew's finally made it to Japan, and I'm totally digging Yorick's outfit here -- the longer hair, the eyeshadow, the black bowler, the surgeon's mask, the oversized suit. It's like David Bowie meets Japan.

Also looking awesome: Dr. Mann, doing the punk thing in her origin story. Not looking awesome: Dr. Mann's extremely white-looking Japanese and Chinese parents. Come ON, artists; all your chicks look THE SAME. Arrg. We also see Alter's origins, though I'm still not sure of her
oriana
I know it's cheaterish and stupid to review a series as a whole rather than the individual books, but I read these so fast, so one-after-the-other, that they're not too separatable for me. (Except the subplot about the actress troupe; that one sucked.) Also, I guess people have a lot to say about these books' unfeminism and misogyny and all that, but I am no theorist, and all I can tell you is that I cannot recall ever in my life being so enthralled by a series, in such a pell-mell frenzy to rea ...more
Adam Smith
Solid volume. The story keeps moving and so do Yorick and company. I swear every volume they're in a different country. Australia, Japan, and now they're on to China. Probably France in the last volume. Only two volumes left. I have no idea how this will end, but I'm getting quite excited to read it.
Jason McKinney
Here again, the series seems to continue to fall off in terms of quality. The plot lines seem to almost be making circles and covering ground that has already been done, instead of moving forward. I'm still enjoying this, but am hoping that it moves out of a bit of a rut that it's gotten into...
P. Kirby
Three stars because I still enjoy this series, but this installment felt a little flat, not as compelling as some previous issues. A lot happens. Maybe too much. Could be because I read this on a six hour flight and my brain had lost contact with my ass. Hmmm...

Longer review to come...
Paige
Oh how the plot thickens. Dr. Mann finds out the truth about Rose. We get more into Dr. Mann and Alter's backgrounds. This book is mostly a tease, because we're finally on the last leg of the journey to find out what caused all the men to die. I just want to know what happens next!
Maddoganchorite
In this volume, we find out more about Allison's past. It was very interesting. I really liked how the plot is moving forward, but they are developing the characters as it moves along. Overall, it another fast read. I can't wait to read the next volume.
Chelsea
The series is suddenly moving a lot faster, so I think I liked the story in the US better... I liked the more subtle smaller plot developments. At the same time, the story is keeping me really captivated and wondering how everything will pan out.
Jamie
I know a lot of series tend to do flashback episodes as filler, but I really enjoy them. I like getting to know a little bit more about why characters are the way that they are. This book made me chuckle a couple times, too, which is always a good thing.
Brad
Ampersand's story from volume 5 (book: Y: The Last Man]) is finally resolved, and Yorick and 355 head to Tokyo to get him from a Canadian pop star turned crime lord.
I honestly can't believe the monkey's story has been going on this long. I feel like this book hit a slow stretch when the characters reached the Pacific Ocean. It hasn't been a bad book and stands up to repeat readings, but it doesn't have quite the same verve as the earlier collections. I was also bummed by how few issues Pia Guer
Brendan Nicholls
A step backwards as the plot slowly begins to unravel. Feels a lot like lost in that it seems to be making it up as they go along. A little disappointed by this book. Yorrick is missing the one liners
  • Fables, Vol. 11: War and Pieces (Fables, #11)
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 6: Tommy Taylor and the War of Words
  • Preacher, Volume 4: Ancient History
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4: The New Scum (Transmetropolitan, #4)
  • DMZ, Vol. 2: Body of a Journalist
  • Locke & Key, Volume 5: Clockworks (Locke & Key #5)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 6: Six Feet Under the Gun
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1) Saga, Volume 1 Saga #1 Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2) Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5)

“Well, robots are, of course, the monkey's natural enemy.” 8 likes