Start by marking “Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #56)” as Want to Read:
Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #56)

Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  612 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
In 2001's critically acclaimed Avatar novels, author S.D. Perry set the tone and the course for the continuation of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, a controversial television phenomenon hailed by TV Guide as "the best acted, written, produced, and altogether finest" incarnation of Star Trek. Since then, the DS9 saga has grown in complexity and momentum, attracting an ever-grow ...more
Published November 18th 2003 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Unity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unity

Crystal Bensley
Apr 07, 2016 Crystal Bensley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyones back! Awesome end to season 8!
Derek Oberg
I liked this one. It's pretty obvious by the cover that this book is the inevitable return of Benjamin Sisko. I've been dreading it a little bit. Not beacuse I dislike Sisko in any way (I actually REALLY like him), but because getting rid of him at the end of the series was a huge sacrifice and a big risk to take and I felt like it needed to percolate a little bit before they hit the reboot button and everything goes back to normal.

I'm glad, at least, that there IS no going back to normal now. B
Shawn Payne
May 05, 2014 Shawn Payne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read and a great way to open up dialogue about today's closed mindedness about religion and different ways to view the same faith.
Tina
Sep 29, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bernard
Apr 22, 2016 Bernard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrekkin
The DS9 Relaunch both pioneered and showed how a multi-book storyline (vs. single episodic novels) could work well, and with the other series adopting the same model and the Trek verse solidifying into a unified timeline and story line, it has never been a better time to be a Trek fan--even though I'm about 13 years behind! Nevertheless, thirteen years after publication of this book, I now ask myself, why did I wait so long to read it? Or rather, why did I put off gathering and reading these vol ...more
Златко Андоновски
This was actually my first DS9 book, but thankfully there was a helpful explanation of events from after the series ended right at the beginning of the book for n00bs like me. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The book I mean, not the explanation.
Greg Molumby
Jan 02, 2016 Greg Molumby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shane Amazon
Jul 28, 2013 Shane Amazon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always a little worried going into a Star Trek book because I'm not always sure which kind of Star Trek book I'm going to find. Will I find a book primarily driven by chapter after chapter of character development or am I going to find a book full of chapter after chapter of suspense and drama. Here in Unity, I think found a good balance of both, but for everything I like about the book there are a few things I don't.

First and foremost, Unity is a book driven by the author's understanding o
Daniel
May 19, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think of this as a season finale of the Deep Space Nine relaunch complete with the return of old cast memnbers. This book continues the story started in the previous novel, which, in turn, blended DS9's relaunch with a Next Generation episode called "Conspiracy" that featured parasites that can hijack a host body. Unity dives deeper into the parasitic invasion and uncovers more about where they come from. Some of the topics discussed reference earlier books in the relaunch, but the reader doesn' ...more
Angela
Jun 13, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
The conclusion to this book season of DS9. Every thread is tied up quite well. You really have to read the other books to enjoy this. The parasite invasion reaches its conclusion, Kassidy is getting to ready to give birth, and Sisko returns. This is a really good quick moving plot that would have been brilliant on TV. All the characters have progression, and you really care about them. Even the new ones. A really, really good read.
Nicky2910
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Unity by S. D. Perry Unity marks the end of the first act of the DS9-relaunch - and a jump-in point for new readers because most of the prominent storylines of this first act reach a conclusion here. I'm admittedly one of the latter, not having read the Mission Gamma books or Rising Son. But apparently the editors counted on that and for once included a neat "Previously on..."-section at the beginning of this novel, summarizing what happened so far. However, while the ...more
Mrsculpepper
loved it! one of the best since I started reading the series. glad to see old friends return. interfederational intrigue. medical mystery. all my favorite Trek themes except time travel. can't wait to see what happens next and to hear what "Benny " has to say about his time away.
John Carter McKnight
"Unity" wraps up the "Season 8" of DS9 novels, doing an excellent job of continuing the feel of the series at its best and juggling a huge number of subplots. Each gets their due in a way much less frustrating than most multiple-plot novels: none are too tedious or too compelling to interfere with the switching off.

Not too spoilerish to say there's a happy ending, a nice counterpoint to the very bittersweet ending of the actual series. There are a number of very nice little character touches, l
Elen
Sep 17, 2015 Elen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay! A bunch of things happened! I like the things that happened! (view spoiler)
David Agranoff
I have read all three of SD Perry's DS9 novels and now realize that I missed some connecting stories in between. I think the editors over at S and S were considering themselves to be writing a 8th season of the show. If you think of her Avatar book one and two as season openers then this is the season finale.

While this novel spends alot of time reviewing the events that have taken place in the new timeline. In some ways the story does really move forward until half way in, there is way too much
Two Nerds Talking
Feb 20, 2015 Two Nerds Talking rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great look at the Bajoran culture and religion and a fantastic read overall.
Mark
May 25, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Author S. D. Perry has crafted a terrific conclusion to the opening chapter of Pocket Books continuation of the DS9 saga. At least, I hope it’s just the opening chapter. In this novel, we get a summary of the DS9 relaunch, and many loose ends are tied up. While there is sort of a whirlwind feel to the entire narrative, I was left wanting to know what happens next. That’s good, right?

This book was published in hardcover by Pocket Books.
Dan
Jan 03, 2015 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, ds9
As with any good "season finale," Unity feels like an end, but also a new beginning. Circumstances aboard DS9 have changed forever, and things will never be the same again. However, as stated at the end of the novel, "THE SAGA OF DEEP SPACE NINE WILL CONTINUE." Very welcome words as I continue through this re-read of the wonderful Deep Space Nine post-series novels.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2015/01/u...
Shalom
Aug 04, 2012 Shalom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall well-written, on the upper end of the fanfic range. While it does have a few of the problems common to fanfic - most notably a tendency to gloss over character-defining moments in favor of skipping to the action - it is overall well done, with a fairly good understanding of the canon. As it IS fanfic, the pairings go thusly: Kira/Odo, Bashir/Ezri (sortof), and Ro Laren/Quark, with Garak/Ziyal implied.
John Deltuvia
Feb 15, 2016 John Deltuvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story was good overall, but K.D. Perry would work better as a concept person working alongside with a better storyteller such as Candido or Duane.
Michael
May 26, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The entire DS9 relaunch (via novels) was fabulously done. It was as if the beloved series had never ended . . . a real treat for anyone who loved the series and lamented its end. If you loved DS9, read the DS9 relaunch!
Joshua Lemke
Nov 28, 2013 Joshua Lemke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I read this book 6 years ago and was glad the storyline from the last DS9 episode was finally closed out. I was glad Sisko returned, as he is one of my favorite Star Trek captains.
Jose
Oct 19, 2012 Jose rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek

A nice finale for most of the story lines.
SD Perry managed to capture the feel of DS9 and its characters. Almost seems like end of season 8. Shall we go for a new one?...
Kristy
Aug 18, 2013 Kristy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still one of my all time favorite books to this day. This book would have been PERFECT for a DS9 movie (which it so deserves!) to be based on, wrapped everything up beautifully.
Ceremony
Aug 13, 2012 Ceremony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A wonderful 'Season 8 Finale' - well writen and making me curious what stories unfold in the DS9 Part of Star Trek :)
George
Jan 04, 2013 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Star Trek-Deep Space Nine expansion novel.
Easy read and characters match the TV series characters.
Dawn
Apr 07, 2009 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT! I had been waiting to find out what happened to Sisko and now I have the answer!
Bradley
A rather muddled story, but DS9 was not a favorite Star Trek series of mine anyhow. It was okay. =)
Jamie Banks
Jul 17, 2016 Jamie Banks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice throwback. Too neat, but we needed the closure...
Dj
Feb 18, 2013 Dj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very satisfying end to the would be Season 8 of DSN.
Question about this book.... 2 17 May 14, 2015 11:27AM
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #1)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Inferno (Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Millenium, #3)
  • A Stitch in Time
52051
Stephani Danelle Perry (credited as S. D. Perry in her works) is a novelist living in the Pacific Northwest. She is the daughter of writer Steve Perry.

S. D. Perry currently resides in Portland, Oregon, with her husband, Myk, her two excellent children, Cyrus and Dexter, and their dogs. She mostly writes tie-in novels based on works in the fantasy/science-fiction/horror genres, including Resident E
More about S.D. Perry...

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Emissary