Start by marking “Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive” as Want to Read:
Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive

Trouble's Daughter: The Story of Susanna Hutchinson, Indian Captive

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A colonial girl comes of age as an Indian captive in this riveting and vividly detailed novel, based on a true story. First-rate historical fiction with terrific classroom potential, this dramatic novel explores the role of women in colonial and Native American society.
Published February 8th 2000 by Yearling (first published September 8th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Trouble's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble's Daughter

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayRebel Angels by Libba BrayThe Sweet Far Thing by Libba BrayThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Teen Historical Novels
273rd out of 504 books — 871 voters
Follow the River by James Alexander ThomThe Winthrop Woman by Anya SetonDawn's Early Light by Elswyth ThaneThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareCaleb's Crossing by Geraldine  Brooks
Historical Novels of Early America
72nd out of 76 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Eden
Susanna Hutchinson and her family moved to the wilderness on land that was owned by the Dutch. Susanna longs to go back to where they lived before, but her mother can't be persuaded, even after she is warned about the Lenape in that area.

The Lenape come and kill all the Hutchinson family, except for Susanna. She resists, but they take her captive and soon she is in the Lenape village.

This is a historical fiction about Susanna Hutchinson, who was a real person that did get taken captive by Indian
Brianna C.
Trouble’s Daughter is the story of a girl named Susanna Hutchinson. She has many brothers and sisters some of which had died like her father. Susanna’s mom is a person accused of witch craft so the family constantly moves. In this story they live in Connecticut by the Indians. One day Indians come to see them and everyone except Susanna’s mom is worried. The next day the Indians come and kill everyone. Susanna is spared though, she is then taken captive. That is where the story really begins. Sh ...more
Briannae
I really enjoyed reading this book. it has a lot of suspense and dialogue between characters. the book is about a girl named Susanna Hutchinson who has been kidnapped by a American indian tribe. when you read this book you will know how she survives with the tribe and if she goes back to her family. I would recommend this book to people who like action and suspense.
Miss Amanda
gr 7+ 224pgs

1643, Connecticut. 9 year old Susannah Hutchinson, daughter of Anne Hutchinson is kidnapped after her family is killed by a group of Lenape Indians. At first, Susannah refuses to learn Lenape or answer to her new name. Slowly, she begins to adapt to her new life.
Kayla Mower
It was a very good book! I liked the realistic way the story is told. It is a good book for teens and younger that like historical fiction.
Breanna Fitzpatrick
I just finished this book last week. And it was really good.

It was a true story about a girl who was taken captive by native Americans, and she has to learn to love them (Even after they killed her entire 16 member family). Throughout the book, the characters are built upon, the plot changes (Smoothly), and the ending actually makes you really upset.

The writing was well done. I really appreciate the author who can make a boring topic so intising.

I really enjoyed the facts and plot. It kept me i
Sara
This was another of those books that proved to be awkward, similar to Habibi, in that the subject matter seemed to be inappropriate for the targeted age range. As a whole, it is practically identical to Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare, and given a choice between the two, I would definitely choose Speare's. Trouble's Daughter is the true story of Anne Hutchinson, the famous Puritan, and her family, who were murdered by Indians (except for her 9-year-old daughter Susanna). I found it int ...more
Estephania Gongora
This is a book I enjoyed reading multiple times.
Leighan Herzberger
Trouble's Daughter is the story of Susanna Hutchinson, the daughter of Anne Hutchinson. Anne Hutchinson is known for not being afraid to stand up for her beliefs even if it's illegal. Since Anne gets in trouble a lot the family is constantly moving. When they finally find a place, Indians come and massacre the whole family and take Susanna captive. It is a great story about meeting new people and how somebody you may think is useless can be the useful person to make your life better.
Shahar
This story is about Susanna Hutchinson, the daughter of Ann Hutchinson, who was captured by Lenape indians. Susanna Hutchinson is living in New Netherland, what is now New York, on Dutch land.The Lenape are at war with the Dutch, yet the Hutchinson's don't know this. One day Sussan's whole family is killed by the Lenape, and Susanna is taken captive. Susanna has to learn to cope with her togh circumstances, and she may even thrive.
Katie
I thought it was a good book. I found it really interesting because Susanna Hutchinson the main character I never heard of but her mom Ann Hutchinson is a really famous person in history. I had never read a book about an indian captive until this book and I liked it. It was cool to see how someone can change so much by living with other people. I suggest someone who likes an easy read and historical fiction to read this book.
Jenny
Susanna Hutchinson was a 9 year old girl with a visionary mother in 1643. Her family is murdered by Lenape Indians, who take her captive. She joins the family of the medicine woman. She slowly learns to adapt to her new surroundings. She has visions and is trained as a healer until her white family ransoms her back. Susanna is now torn between her two worlds.
Allison
Wow, this book brings back memories. I read this SO many times when I was in my pre-teens, I'm sure the Librarians were about to just give it to me I checked it out so many times. I was very interested in Indians and Pioneering at this time, so what was one more book about it!.
It was a very good book and I would read it again!
Jun 19, 2010 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 13- up
Shelves: children-s-books
I read this in the fourth grade,about 13 years ago. For the longest time I couldn't remember what the author's name was or the title. I happened to come upon it at the library just two minutes ago.

This book sparked my love for reading and is what has made me a HUGE fan of historical fiction.

Beautiful and real this book speaks.
Nichole Baumgartner
Great teen read about a colonial girl who is captured by Native Americans after they kill her entire family. She is taken as a slave and this details her life. Historical and colorful, this is a great book to get kids into reading if they like history.
Allizabeth Collins
One of the best young adult books that I have ever read! Constant plot that had me hooked from page one, and so much detail that I felt like I was in Susanna's moccasins. Have recommended it to several people over the years and they say the same. With there was another volume that talked about her going home.
Annie
I wasn't sure I'd like this book as much as other similar books. It started out a bit graphic and shaky, but it kept get better and better. This would be a great read for a group-there is so much I'd like to discuss with other like-minded people about it.
Rebecca
Jun 21, 2010 Rebecca rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: meh
I love indian captive books, I've been a big fan of them ever since I was a child. This book was pretty good, but not long enough and not enough detail. Still, I enjoyed reading it.
Brandy Luther
I may be biased b/c I'm related but I thought it was an excellent book with lots of thoughtful insight into a culture from which there was so little known by the author.
Kim
Jul 27, 2008 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody, really
Recommended to Kim by: My sister
I really liked this book! It's a fun read-learning a bit about how Indians live and putting a young, white girl in the midst of them for a long time. I really enjoyed reading it.
Sasha Strader
I remember reading this when I was a kid and being fascinated by it. I still think it's pretty good, but now the writing is more simplistic.
Erin O.
The beginning of this book is pretty gruesome for the targeted age group, but overall I really enjoyed it when I read it in elementary school.
Meredith
I read this so many times as a kid and loved it! I still remember it and have been looking for it for so long. It's a very good narrative.
E.
This book made me want to be an Indian captive, that's how good it was.
Kelsey
Another childhood book that stuck with me long after childhood.
Brooke.706
This book is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amanda Wel
  • Where the Broken Heart Still Beats: The Story of Cynthia Ann Parker
  • Stealing Freedom
  • A Stolen Life
  • Sister to the Wolf
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
  • Banished from Our Home: The Acadian Diary of Angélique Richard
  • The Second Bend in the River
  • Enemy in the Fort (American Girl History Mysteries, #13)
  • Soldier's Secret: The Story of Deborah Sampson
  • Once On This Island (Mackinac Island Trilogy, #1)
  • Women's Indian Captivity Narratives
  • Frozen Summer (Remembrance "Mem" Nye #2)
  • North by Night: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • Mystery on Skull Island (American Girl History Mysteries, #15)
  • Parzival: The Quest of the Grail Knight
Escape Across the Wide Sea Mysterious Bones: The Story of Kennewick Man The Voyage Of The Continental Snow Baby: The Arctic Childhood of Admiral Robert E. Peary's Daring Daughter Between Two Worlds