Windy City Blues Windy City Blues

Windy City Blues Windy City Blues (V.I. Warshawski)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,109 ratings  ·  58 reviews
It's strictly Friends & Family as V.I. Warshawski, "the detective mystery fans have been waiting for" ("Time"), makes return appearances in a collection of stories thatbring new meaning to "ties that bind." Decked out in her silk shirts and no-nonsense Attitude, V.I. is out to make a living--by the skin of her teeth.
In"Grace Notes," V.I. has barely finished her mornin...more
Published October 28th 2009 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1995)

Larry Bassett
The V.I. Warshawski series has reached its sixteenth book in 2013 and I have read all but this most recent book in the running series. It has not been out long enough to be on the ninety-nine cent list yet so I am waiting! And, while I wait, catching up on this 1995 book of short stories seems like one way to while away the time.

The Paretsky books have gotten progressively longer as the series has developed. This, in my opinion, has not lead to an improvement in the stories or the writing. It ju...more
Johnny
Very few books of short stories make it to my list because I don’t read a lot of anthologies. I picked up Windy City Blues because I had enjoyed other books by Sara Paretsky and thought her female private eye and erstwhile attorney, V. I. Warshawski, made for good reading. These stories didn’t disappoint. At times, they felt too short and, at times, I could sense exactly why they made better stories than novels. I suppose the collection has the added advantage that I already know the protagonist...more
aPriL meows 'n growls TLDR
Lets just say as a fan of the character V. I. Warshawski it would be ok to not pick up this set of short stories about her. This book does not add anything to her storyline. These mysteries are a nice way to pass the time if you simply want a small quick read between doing things. However, they do not showcase Warshawski's customary wit, although she quickly solves nine crimes pissing off everyone as usual, including cranky clients, along with the friends we have become familiar with through Par...more
Harley
Sep 19, 2010 Harley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of V.I. Warshawski
I am a Sara Paretsky fan so I picked up this book both with excitement and concern. Excitement because I love the character of V.I. Warshawski. Concerned because it was a collection of short stories. I like my Warshawski in large doses. It is fun to be inside her mind and watch her as she solves the crime. What the crime is usually doesn't matter. It is the character and her opinions that I enjoy.

And I must say that most of these stories succeed. The least successful for me was The Pietro Androm...more
Rita
1995. Good stories, Enjoyable to read. Seemed like most were plots that could potentially have been fleshed out to become full-size mysteries. But why not just keep them short, sure!
The best part was the introduction, "A Walk on the Wild Side"
telling about far-south and southeast Chicago where the [former] steel mills are, city dump and landfills and so on. Part of the landfills are on top of a [former] marsh, very little of which is still visible. Apparently the whole place is an armpit, terrib...more
Margaret McCamant
Lovely to read a book of short stories about V.I. Warshawski. I've read all but the three most recent V.I. books (and two of them are Christmas gifts, waiting to be read), so it's fun to read these stories that were written at various points during the series. In the foreword, Sara Paretsky talks about why she writes short stories: "when I am trying to understand a question that doesn't seem to merit a whole novel." I'm intrigued by the idea that her writing a novel is a way of figuring somethin...more
Rhonda
This 10th V.I. Warshawski book is a collection of short stories. Some of the other characters and friends take more of a role in these stories.

In "Grace Notes", V.I. meets an Italian cousin that may want to meet family and may want something else. In "Pietro Andromache", Dr. Lotte Hershold, VI's old friend is accused of murder over an old, sentimental artifact. "At the Swimming Hole" has VI helping an old friend at a swim meet, where she witnesses a murder. In "The Takamoku Joseki" VI had to re...more
Alan
These short stories can only be characterized as mildly entertaining to embarrassing. Plus there are several minor mistakes that a proof reader should have caught.
Debi
This is part of a series on a female detective in Chicago named V.I. Warshawski. This was different than the other books in that it was a collection of short stories rather than one story. I'm not a huge fan of short stories, but these were pretty good. The series is told from V.I.'s perspective in the first person. All but one of the short stories were told this way. I found it interesting that one of the short stories was told in the third person. It was neat to get a different perspective on...more
Jessica
I enjoyed this collection of Sara Paretsky short mysteries from the first 12 years of her detective's career. If you've never read any V.I. Warshawski books, this is a good introduction to the tough private eye from the South Side of Chicago. I still enjoy Paretsky's books but some of her more recent novels are so political that it detracts from the story. In the earlier days, V.I. was smart and never pulled a punch, and these stories made me want to reread some of the earlier novels. Recommende...more
Karen
I found this to be a really fun collection of Paretsky's works.
Perfect for a summers day. Quick, easy, well written.
Shelley
Short VI Warshawski stories.
Rog Harrison
This is the second time I have read this. This is a collection of nine short stories written between 1982 and 1995. I confess that I am not a fan of short stories featuring detectives (even Conan Doyle produced many unsatisfying short stories about Sherlock Holmes) but I do like VI. In this collection I enjoyed two of the stories but found the rest routine. Having said that, it is still worth a read and the final story "Grace notes" tells us more about VI's background.
Donna
You know, this is a good selection of short stories. I think that I have gotten so hooked on the full length V.I. Warshawski novel, with its gritty urban setting and pulse-pounding plots, all the while managing to develop the protagonist w/o sacrificing pace or storyline, that this left me feeling...still hungry.

If this were a breakout artist, I'd think they were a phenomenon, but have read enough of Paretsky's work that I hold her to a higher standard.
Josh
Liked it, but not as much as her full novels. The short story format isn't as interesting for me with V.I. Warshawski cases. I like the depth the novels go into the details, the motivations, the descriptiveness of Chicago, etc. There's just not enough room in a short for it, and the cases are a little too straightforward for me. Still, not bad and some of the stories do fill in a little bit around the edges for V.I. and some of the recurring cast.
Dennis
Readers of detective novels may be familiar with Detective V.I. Warshawski, created by Sara Paretsky, the heroine of many novels, set in Chicago. This book was a collection of nine stories. Whereas some short story collections, usually by different authors, can disappoint, some good, some not so, this collection was delightfully diverse. Unusual stories, diverse characters, and an Italian-speaking detective all make for a good summer read.
Bea
This is the first Sara Paretsky book that I have read. It is a collection of stories featuring V I Warshawski, a female private eye. Some of the stories were well-developed with multiple interesting characters and with a primary and secondary plot lines. Others were small vignettes that left me wishing for more. Overall, I liked this intro to V I Warshawski and will definitely read more books featuring her as a character.
Marti
usually i don't care for short stories--i'd rather invest my time in a longer piece of fiction--but v.i.warshaski is a character i've read about a lot before, so that made it okay. it is strange, i didn't find lotty herschel's companion, max loewenthal quite as likeable in the story where he appeared.

this would be great for someone with limited time to read, or a short attention span.
J. Ewbank
Though I usually do not like to read short stories, these short stories are good. They are good in part due to the character in them, V.I. Warshawski. She is the glue that holds them together and creates our interest in seeing what she has gotten herself into again and again. A great read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Bandit
I've read some of V.I. Warshawski novels ages ago, they were never really my thing, I ended up trading them in. These short stories all featuring V.I. were better than novels, I think, not great, but fairly entertaining. My favorite was the 2nd one, told from a different perspective of one of the books' recurring characters. It was a very quick read too.
Surreysmum
A collection of V.I. Warshawski stories, set at various points in her history, but that's not too jarring since she's firmly Chicago-based at all times. In fact, that (rather than details of plot or character) is actually the main impression that lingers from this and other Paretsky books - her enormous love of Chicago as a place.

A good plane read.
Stacy
I picked this book up at a library sale. I had wanted to check out Sara Paretsky and didn't spend enough time to read the cover and realize it was a collection of short stories. That's generally not my favorite genre. However, having said that, I did enjoy them and should plan to read another Paretsky book in the future.
Frodo
I've enjoyed reading books by Sara Paretsky as she was originally from Lawrence,Kansas. Her writing is usually set in the Chicago area which I'm somewhat familiar with since spending seminary days there. These WINDY CITY BLUES short stories are fun mysteries to read. They read very quickly.
Janet
This book was OK. It was typical Sara Paretsky. I guess I am not a big fan of short stories. If you have kids at home that are needy, this is a great book. The stories are mostly 40 pages long. This is not enough time to develop a plot, so the stories are short quick with little plot.
Lynn Pribus
I'm sure I've read this before -- short stories all about V.I. -- but found it on Overdrive and downloaded it. Excellent performer. Good stories and I didn't remember enough to spoil any of them.

Although I'm not usually a short story fan, I enjoyed these a lot.
Jessica
Series mystery always works best when it captures the world its protagonist lives in as well as the individual's character, and Paretsky's one of the best. Even though my Chicago days are behind me, with a few brief lines she can take me back in a flash.
Victor J.
A collection of short stories from the veteran author. Mostly enjoyable. To my surprise, one of them was lesbian themed. I find her novels are sometimes longwinded, so the brevity added to my enjoyment here.
Voracious_reader
I listened to this book on tape. It was very entertaining. I'll definitely read more from this author; though, I think I'll try them on tape too, as these stories are the sort that carry well aloud.
Daphne
Some segments "cases" of this book were interesting - others were not (to me). I found it entertaining and altho' some of the characters really came to life - others just kind of fell short.
Short Stories 1 5 Nov 16, 2008 11:54AM
  • Both Ends of the Night (Sharon McCone, #18)
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • Copy Kat (Kat Colorado, #4)
Sara Paretsky is a modern American author of detective fiction. Paretsky was raised in Kansas, and graduated from the state university with a degree in political science. She did community service work on the south side of Chicago in 1966 and returned in 1968 to work there. She ultimately completed a Ph.D. in history at the University of Chicago, entitled The Breakdown of Moral Philosophy in New E...more
More about Sara Paretsky...
Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski, #1) Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski, #5) Body Work (V.I. Warshawski, #14) Hard Time (V.I. Warshawski, #9) Fire Sale (V.I. Warshawski, #12)