Start by marking “Amelia Rules! Volume 6: True Things Adults Don't Want Kids to Know (Amelia Rules! #6)” as Want to Read:

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  42 reviews
In the sixth volume of Amelia Rules!, Amelia helps Aunt Tanner revive her music career—and pays the price for doing so, Rhonda comes to terms with her newfound popularity, and Reggie discovers that you can’t stay a kid forever. And if that weren’t enough, Amelia finds out how a crush can truly be crushing. While Amelia learns about love the hard way, she discovers a number ...more
Published October 19th 2010 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Rules! Volume 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia Rules! Volume 6

Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyAmulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu Kibuishi
Best Graphic Novels for Children
112th out of 549 books — 690 voters
Smile by Raina TelgemeierOz by Eric ShanowerThe Saga of Rex by Michel GagnéAmelia Rules! Volume 1 by Jimmy GownleyOz by Eric Shanower
Great Graphic Novels for Girls
41st out of 52 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Dolly
Sep 01, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
This is the sixth book in the Amelia Rules! series by Jimmy Gownley. We recently discovered this series and our girls just love it - they will argue over who gets to read the books first. They are really into reading graphic novels right now and we all love that it features a strong female main character who has other strong women in her life.

This book continues the story and has several sections highlighting love, life and friendship. The story has several flashbacks and we enjoy learning more
Jayme Prisbell
Jimmy Gownley’s graphic novel, Amelia Rules, True Things (adults Don't Want Kids to Know), is the sixth volume of the Amelia Rules series. In this volume, Amelia must face and deal with “tween” issues such as change, disappointment, promises and her every changing relationship with friends, family, and boys. This 2011 Will Eisner Comic Industry Nominee for Best Publication for Kids, is geared toward children grades 4-6. Amelia’s story begins with her 11th birthday party where her Aunt Tanner (a ...more
Kapila
"Art is like a beautiful dream, and the rest of the world is the alarm clock."

Finally got a chance to check out one of these books in the series. Though I picked it up while at work, just the bit I had read while sitting at the desk intrigued me enough to make me want to go back to it. I was hooked by the introspective voice of Amelia, the seamless ways in which her reality and her thoughts (and dreams), as well as changes in voice and perspective are shown in art and letter. And did I mention h
Nicole West
I had a wonderful time reading this story. It's so truthful and hilarious that I found myself completely entranced with only the first page. It is so gut-wrenchingly honest but in a light-hearted way that makes the reader hopeful for the future. My favorite thing about it was that Amelia's Aunt, Tanner had this wonderful musical gift that she kept hidden away and, with Amelia's help, she suddenly found herself on tour with a famous rock band. It just goes to show that when you have a talent, not ...more
CJ
I bought this book for my daughter, who got hooked on the Amelia Rules series after a librarian showed them to her. After my daughter devoured it, I picked it up and promptly got lost in it. This book is one in a particularly well done series of graphic novels following a tween who faces problems that are all too familiar with many tweens today. It's not one of the angst ridden emo stories that appeal to some readers, though, it has some hilarious scenes. The stories are addictive, and challenge ...more
Jill
This book is a 2011 Will Eisner Comic Industry nominated book in the Best Publication for Kids category. This book is part of the Amelia Rules series. The audience this book is geared towards would be girls in third through fifth grade. The book is appealing due to its story and rich illustrations. It is a story that includes issues that most girls can relate to, which include problems with family, friends and boys.
Renee
Mar 06, 2011 Renee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 5th-7th
Shelves: ya-realistic
I really enjoyed the quotes from one of the characters that appear at the beginning of chapters.
"The main difference between boys and girls is that girls mature slightly faster and boys are idiots."
"I think the reason people have kids is so they can pass their own brand of crazy on to another generation."

Rebecca Thomas
1.) Genre- Graphic Novel

2.) Summary- Amelia gets a special surprise for her 11th birthday--her Aunt Tanner has written a song about her. In love with her song Amelia and her friends decide to popularize it. Changes, challenges, and the unexpected follows their journey.

3.)a.) Area of focus- Illustrations

3.)b.) While Gownley uses an easy to follow format of frames for the graphic novel, the bold colors and harsh lines make the story difficult to focus in on.

3.)c.) This graphic novel is definitely
Amelia Rules! True Things (Adults Don’t Want Kids To Know)

1- Genre: Graphic Novel

2- This book starts of by Amelia celebrating her birthday, and with this party comes a new song from her aunt. Based on the response of her aunt’s new song Amelia and her friends decide to help her spread the word of her new song. Throughout the adventure of helping her aunt, Amelia and her friends deal with many challenges and changes in their lives. They experience hard good-byes, friendship tension, difficult dec
Caleb
Best one yet. I just found it at the library and wanted to read it like I had with the others. Amelia takes on her first crush, Kyle as she turns 11. She tries to act cool, but just ends up looking like an idiot. She farts as she says she has a foot oder problem. She ends up obsessing over him and invites him to be her date to her ex-rocker aunt's concert and he excepts then brings another girl and tells her he knows Amelia's aunt! He's super mean! Someone should show him how that would feel. So ...more
Ashley
Amelia Louise McBride is turning eleven!

Her new year starts with a bang: a huge birthday party featuring surprise guests and a special song from Aunt Tanner! It all seems too good to be true, until it turns out...it is. Suddenly, Amelia's friends are fighting all the time. She gets the worst report card of her life. And when she finally musters the guts to tell a certain boy how she feels about him, she brutally learns why it's called a "crush". Aunt Tanner would know just what to do - if she we
Sarah Sammis
True Things (Adults Don't Want Kids to Know) is the sixth Amelia Rules graphic novel by Jimmy Gownley. It's the only one I've read. I liked the title and though I would give it a try.

Amelia is turning eleven and is having a birthday party. Aunt Tanner sings a special song, an event that is apparently a rare thing indeed. Amelia also gets her first crush and has to deal with the roller coaster of emotions she's feeling and how those feelings are affecting her friends and family.

The graphic novel
Mike Aragona
Amelia turns 11 years old but the laughs and adventures that made her so endearing years earlier are still there, albeit a little more restrained. This graphic novel continues to explore the trials and tribulations of growing up through the woldview of a character that's firmly entrenched in our hearts. Not much of her supporting cast is seen this time around as we learn of some valuable lessons Amelia and Tanner undergo.[return][return]As always, Jim Gownley serves up a story that makes us stop ...more
Saviourofmusic
I started reading these when I was 13 and I still love them. They remind me of being a little kid again and are funny while have serious messages. Amelia is a great character: she's precocious and really a bit of a smart-Alec, but understanding and sensitive. Tanner is like a rockstar Yoda in a belly-showing shirt. Amelia's friends are unique and funny in every way. Her parents are kind and nurturing, without being totally perfect. These books charming and heartwarming, with beautiful artwork. I ...more
Mike Rhode
This series really developed well and is worth reading.
Conor Dean
IT was one of the best books i have ever read
Embrc
Amelia Rules: True Things (Adults Don't Want Kids to Know)
Gownley's Jimmy

This is my first Grapic Novel I have read, I was not sure I would enjoy it. I would have to say at first I had trouble getting into it, but once I got to know the characters, I have to say I liked Amelia and her friends and family. The story deals with Amelia and how she is coping with her parents divorce and her aunt moving in with the family.
I would recommend this for grades 4 up

Marainne Connelly
Newton Free library
Cally O'Brien
Audience: upper elementary and tween girls, kids with divorced parents,

Appeal: Amelia is not a perfect girl. She has mood swings, boy problems, divorced parents, and a group of friends who have their own issues. In this book, Amelia has to deal with her aunt dating her teacher, a crush on a boy who is a bit of a jerk, trouble in English class, and friendship drama. This book is great for young girls who are dealing with the emotional drama of growing up.

List: Eisner Award Nominee 2011
Jill Guccini
Um, I LOVE AMELIA? I loved this book so much more than I thought I would and I kind of want to read all the Amelia books now, who knew?! So realistic and hilarious. It did seem like a lot of the references/humor were for grown-ups and might pass over kids' heads, but like a good Pixar movie it doesn't matter because kids will still understand all the universal, important things in the story. Also, so great to have a fun graphic novel with a female protagonist.
Lara
Now that Amelia is getting older, the stories are maturing as well. Amelia is getting her first crushes and learning how to be the bigger person when a scoundrel needs her help. There are some sad, touching flashbacks starring Amelia's parents. Tanner is dealing with real grown-up problems. The whole atmosphere is much more melancholic. Still, a top-notch comic!
louisa
How did I not get around to these marvelous comics before? Fully deserving of its modern Peanuts reputation and Buffy writer endorsements. Amelia and her friends navigate ninjas, getting older, and first love with the help of Aunt Tanner, a former rock star hiding out in small town Pennsylvania. True Things is a well-earned title for this volume in the series.
Thalia
it was a good book about, when you cant understand you parents.
Raina
Have I mentioned that Jimmy Gownley lives in Harrisburg, the city closest to my college? I kinda recognize the place. Love the teacher romance and am impressed by the turn Amelia's love life takes. Good stuff.
Beck

I really can't even express how impressed I continue to be with this series. I can't decide whether I wish more that I'd had these when growing up, or that I'll one day share 'em with a kid.

I look forward to seeing the final, color copy (and am so grateful to get a peek at the ARC).
Jeff Raymond
Of all the great books in this series, this was easily the best one so far. Again, I want my future daughter to be as great as Amelia, and I want this series to be significantly more popular than it is. So there.
Mustang
Mar 27, 2012 Mustang rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ng
I really liked it that it was Amelias birthday. she gets everythinng she wants, everything but her wish. She finally admits she likes a boy! Tanner starts music again.It was a pretty good book.

-ng
NaomiRuth
I love this. I like how it's real-life angsty without going over the top too much. I like the look of it and the color palette. I like the characters. So many things.
Laura Buechler
This was a fun and interesting book with good messages for kids/tweens, ie stay true to yourself, use your gifts, be honest with each other, etc.
Shelley
This series just gets better and better. Love Tanner and the teacher, Amelia and Kyle, etc. All of the character growth just feels so spot on.
Ryan
Tries a little too hard to be inspirational, but filled with humor adults can laugh at. (Not that kind of humor, you sicko.)
  • Owly, Vol. 4:  A Time to Be Brave
  • Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves, #1)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • How Tia Lola Learned to Teach
  • Missile Mouse #1 The Star Crusher
  • Monster on the Hill
  • Mad Scientist (Babymouse, #14)
  • The Baby-Sitters Club: Mary Anne Saves the Day (Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1 (Polly & the Pirates, #1)
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • Explorer 2: The Lost Islands
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Kaput & Zosky
  • The Unsinkable Walker Bean
  • Bird & Squirrel on the Run
Jimmy Gownley is the author and illustrator of the Amelia Rules! series of graphic novels, as well as the upcoming memoir The Dumbest Idea Ever!.

He has been nominated for 13 Eisner awards and 6 Harvey awards. His book Superheroes won the 2006 Cybil Award for best graphic novel for kids 12 and under.

Jimmy is also the co-creator of the web comic Gracieland.

He lives in Pennsylvania.
More about Jimmy Gownley...

Amelia Rules! (8 books)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 1: The Whole World's Crazy (Amelia Rules! #1)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 2: What Makes You Happy (Amelia Rules! #2)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 4: When the Past is a Present (Amelia Rules! #4)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 5: The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular (Amelia Rules! #5)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 7: The Meaning of Life... and Other Stuff (Amelia Rules! #7)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 8: Her Permanent Record (Amelia Rules! #8)
Amelia Rules! Volume 1: The Whole World's Crazy (Amelia Rules! #1) The Dumbest Idea Ever! Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3) Amelia Rules! Volume 2: What Makes You Happy (Amelia Rules! #2) Amelia Rules! Volume 5: The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular (Amelia Rules! #5)

“...which, of course, is how I developed my love for both Kabuki theater and marshmallow Peeps.” 4 likes