Start by marking “Dr. Sigmundus: The Cracked Mirror” as Want to Read:
Dr. Sigmundus: The Cracked Mirror

Dr. Sigmundus: The Cracked Mirror (The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus #2)

A BULLETIN REVIEW of the first book of the Promises of Dr. Sigmundus: The Hollow People proclaimed: “Brian Keaney’s concoction of science fiction, horror, and fantasy is remarkably effective” and “Sigmundus is a worthy and
memorable villain that will haunt readers. As the first in a series, this is a promising start, and the cliffhanger ending all but guarantees return read
Published October 12th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Sigmundus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Sigmundus

Jim Ef
Dec 10, 2015 Jim Ef rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Two pages before the end, i was sure its going to be 4 stars. Why? just why? it was a good interesting book and that end ruined it for me. Still 3 stars for everything else
Bonnie
"The Cracked Mirror" picks up where "The Hollow People" left off, with teenager Dante Cazabon, recently escaped from the asylum island where he and his friend Bea grew up, realizing his potential to tap into the Odyllic Force, a power to act outside of time and dreams. The country is controlled by the possessed Dr. Sigmundus, who rules citizens through drug-induced mind-control. The story opens with Dante searching for Bea and trying to reunite with the Puca, a group of freedom fighters. The nar ...more
Ana
Feb 16, 2014 Ana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, de volta à saga de «As Promessas do Dr. Sigmundus»...e a mais um livro, o segundo da trilogia, que só dá para descrever como mau.

And yet, continuo a achar impossível parar de ler - ou, pelo menos, não querer saber como é que a história acaba. Mas que é terrível, sem sentido, mal escrito e all and all pura perda de tempo e desperdício de papel? Lá isso é.

Tome-se como exemplo os meus sentimentos em relação a outro livro: Catcher in The Rye. Esse livro, tal como disse na altura, não me encheu
Melanie
Nov 05, 2015 Melanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the first book and was disappointed with the direction the second book took the story.
Part of the appeal for me with the first book was the archaic dystopian society. The asylum setting of the first book was eerie and fascinating, but once the characters escaped from the controlling society on the island the story struggled.
The Odylic force that became a prominent focus in the books seemed like a weird mix of science fiction and magic that was poorly thought out and used. The au
Mariana
Shawn Bird
Jul 11, 2012 Shawn Bird rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, never-read-these
So, you know that feeling when you've been on a merry-go-round too long, and you stubble around the play ground, head spinning, and bump into other equipment? You can focus for a moment on the swing set, before the spinning overwhelms you, and you thud into the teeter-totter... That's what this book is like. The opening chapters are so diverse, so abstract, and so strange, it's all terrible confusion. Finally, when part 2 arrives, one is pulling some sense of the story together, but the book is ...more
Heather Ohana
It had been well over a year since I read the first of the Promises of Dr. Sigmundus books, and I found myself really confused the first half of my reading of this sequel. It's not that I want more recap, and in fact I'd say the recap that existed was handled really very naturally through introductions to new characters and other characters having to rediscover their own memories. What I was missing was the overarching "why are these characters doing this again?" I also thought it was way too sh ...more
Torra
Jul 09, 2011 Torra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again this was a re-read for me. I had to go back and read book one and two of this series after reading book three.

Out of the three I have to say this was my least favorite. I thought the plot was slow at times, yet at others it moved too fast. One of these times was when Ezekiel fought Luther or Gallowglass, I thought that scene could have been longer.

Again I liked most of the characters in this book, Dante was still my favorite, next to Ezekiel for how they acted bravely. And Bea's cha
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Δεν πάνε πολλές μέρες από τότε που ανέφερα για πρώτη φορά την τριλογία των "Υποσχέσεων Του Δόκτορα Σιγμούνδου" και που σχολίασα το πρώτο βιβλίο της σειράς. Σε αντίθεση με αυτό, το δεύτερο βιβλίο δεν μου προκάλεσε πονοκέφαλο καθώς ήξερα περί τίνος πρόκειται, δεν χρειάστηκε να ζορίσω παραπάνω απ' όσο έπρεπε τον εαυτό μου προκειμένου να καταλάβω το τι συμβαίνει κατά συνέπεια, να καταλάβω που ακριβώς θέλει να μας οδηγήσει ο συγγραφέας. Και μπορεί να είναι ένα βιβλίο που διαβάζεται εύκολα και γρήγορα ...more
Mónica Silva
Aug 17, 2013 Mónica Silva rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Para a leitura deste segundo volume tinha grandes expectativas. Não esperava, porém, que a desilusão fosse tão grande. Esta é uma estória desconexa, confusa e apressada, que me retirou toda a motivação para ler.

Os protagonistas mantêm-se unidimensionais e perderam todo o encanto. Safam-se demasiado rápido de qualquer alhada, sem grande sacrifício. Novas personagens são adicionadas, que pouco ou nada acrescentam à estória e apenas servem com
Ioana
Jun 12, 2014 Ioana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great sequel, but could have been better. Even though Mr. Keaney is a great author at suspense, the book was a bit too fast paced, but it only had 144 pages. I wanted to read the third, but can't find it!
Jennifer Calhoun
Feb 08, 2014 Jennifer Calhoun rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wasn't long enough to develop story line.
Carlos Valente
Apr 18, 2014 Carlos Valente rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Demasiado mau.
Estela
Feb 24, 2014 Estela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't have high expectations on second books, because they usually disapoint me. But I can say this book was awsome. It isn't a book for soft readers thought, but for those who know how.
I really liked high hopes for the third one.
Zézinha Rosado
Este livro é o segundo de uma série de uma trilogia e, como tal, deveria ter começado por ler o primeiro volume... mas não o tenho, este foi o único que me chegou às mãos.
E mesmo assim posso dizer que gostei do que li, embora seja evidente que se tivesse lido o volume anterior a história faria mais sentido em alguns pormenores.
É um livro pequeno, que se lê num instante (eu li o meu numa tarde) e que, para quem gosta do género fantástico, está repleto de imagens bonitas e cenas heróicas.
Amy
Aug 30, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-books
Freedom and dreams are at the heart of this story. Dante and Bea are such likeable and strong characters. Bea makes the point that comfort is not really worth much if there is no freedom to go along with it. Keaney has a gift for articulate imagery that is thoroughly enjoyable to read. I could not stop reading this one! The ending is quite surprising and really leaves the reader hanging. I look forward to discovering what happens in the next book.
Mar 08, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i had already read the forst in the series so was expecting this one to be good. although i still loved the characters and the plot, i didnt find it as intruiging as the first book, in general. i really like the relationships in the books and the way that things progress for each character before making sense and coming together as one story. i wo0uld definately read more by this author
Wison705
Jan 23, 2011 Wison705 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
wow. thoguht this was book one and in goodreads it said book 2...
it was really confusing at the begginging, this man, i think is on a mission to save his friend or he is probally running away from something.
i dont really get it but i hope to find book 1 somewhere....
Jessie
Dec 03, 2012 Jessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
The Cracked Mirror is the sequel to The Hollow People. It's a good book but not quite up to the caliber of its predecessor.
Rachael
Nov 10, 2015 Rachael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, paranormal
I didn't like this book as much as I liked the first. I still enjoyed it, but I felt like parts of the story were rushed.
Aug 07, 2009 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author knows how to write a good plot, but in terms of character development and realistic dialog, he's absolutely horrible. It's a shame, cause I do like the story, but the writing is just painful to read.
Linda Inês
Mar 15, 2015 Linda Inês rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Este livro é um bocado confuso e por vezes dei por mim e pensar "mas o que raio se está a passar?". No final fiquei com a sensação que há muitas coisas que podiam ter sido melhor explicadas.
Caitlinleah
i wish these were all published as one big book- i'm not really a series kind of girl. but it's just keeping my interest- i guess i care enough to check out the next one, too.
Kassandra
Mar 01, 2015 Kassandra rated it it was amazing
This was very entertaining, it continues the adventures of Dante and Beatrice. The only complaint I have about this book is that it was much shorter than the first book.
Mo Yang
Jul 11, 2009 Mo Yang rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book started out great, but the ending felt a little rushed. A big disappointment in comparison to the first book.
Becka
May 20, 2008 Becka marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
please tell me about this book i cannot weait to read it and am so excited to hear how dante and bea r gettin' on....
Beate

This book felt very rushed compared to the first one :( i will still finish the series, tho.
Felipe
Feb 06, 2009 Felipe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was not all that interesting for me. I didnt like it that much.
Tweller83
Continuation of the Dr. Sigmundus story. A classic good vs. evil story.
  • Instinct
  • Phaenomen (Phaenomen, #1)
  • The Fables of Phaedrus
  • The Un-Magician (OutCast, #1)
  • Lily's Ghosts
  • The Devil Walks
  • Imperial Traitor (Imperial Trilogy, #3)
  • A Estepe
  • Berserk
  • A Queda dum Anjo
  • Fight Game (Fight Game, #1)
  • The Great Pyramid Robbery (The Seven Fabulous Wonders, #1)
  • A Demanda do Visionário (A Saga do Assassino #5)
  • Desert Crossing
  • La Malédiction de Boucle d'or (Animale, #1)
  • A Plague Year
  • The Stuff of Nightmares
  • Zenith (Exodus, #2)
Brian is an award-winning children's author. He has written seventeen novels which have been translated into thirteen languages. His most recent novel for children, The Magical Detectives and the Forbidden Spell is published by Orchard Books. He lives in South East London.

More about Brian Keaney...

The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus (3 books)
  • The Hollow People (The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus, #1)
  • The Resurrection Fields (The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus, #3)