The Cracked Mirror (The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus Series)

The Cracked Mirror (The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus #2)

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A "BULLETIN "REVIEW of the first book of the Promises of Dr. Sigmundus: "The Hollow People "proclaimed: "Brian Keaney's concoction of science fiction, horror, and fantasy is remarkably effective" and "Sigmundus is a worthy and
memorable villain that will haunt readers. As the first in a series, this is a promising start, and the cliffhanger endingall but guarantees return r...more
Published December 9th 2008 by Random House Children's Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Cracked Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cracked Mirror

Bonnie
"The Cracked Mirror" picks up where "The Hollow People" left off, with teenager Dante Cazabon, recently escaped from the asylum island where he and his friend Bea grew up, realizing his potential to tap into the Odyllic Force, a power to act outside of time and dreams. The country is controlled by the possessed Dr. Sigmundus, who rules citizens through drug-induced mind-control. The story opens with Dante searching for Bea and trying to reunite with the Puca, a group of freedom fighters. The nar...more
The author knows how to write a good plot, but in terms of character development and realistic dialog, he's absolutely horrible. It's a shame, cause I do like the story, but the writing is just painful to read.
Ana
Okay, de volta à saga de «As Promessas do Dr. Sigmundus»...e a mais um livro, o segundo da trilogia, que só dá para descrever como mau.

And yet, continuo a achar impossível parar de ler - ou, pelo menos, não querer saber como é que a história acaba. Mas que é terrível, sem sentido, mal escrito e all and all pura perda de tempo e desperdício de papel? Lá isso é.

Tome-se como exemplo os meus sentimentos em relação a outro livro: Catcher in The Rye. Esse livro, tal como disse na altura, não me encheu...more
Shawn Bird
So, you know that feeling when you've been on a merry-go-round too long, and you stubble around the play ground, head spinning, and bump into other equipment? You can focus for a moment on the swing set, before the spinning overwhelms you, and you thud into the teeter-totter... That's what this book is like. The opening chapters are so diverse, so abstract, and so strange, it's all terrible confusion. Finally, when part 2 arrives, one is pulling some sense of the story together, but the book is...more
Heather Ohana
It had been well over a year since I read the first of the Promises of Dr. Sigmundus books, and I found myself really confused the first half of my reading of this sequel. It's not that I want more recap, and in fact I'd say the recap that existed was handled really very naturally through introductions to new characters and other characters having to rediscover their own memories. What I was missing was the overarching "why are these characters doing this again?" I also thought it was way too sh...more
Lindsey
Once again this was a re-read for me. I had to go back and read book one and two of this series after reading book three.

Out of the three I have to say this was my least favorite. I thought the plot was slow at times, yet at others it moved too fast. One of these times was when Ezekiel fought Luther or Gallowglass, I thought that scene could have been longer.

Again I liked most of the characters in this book, Dante was still my favorite, next to Ezekiel for how they acted bravely. And Bea's cha...more
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Δεν πάνε πολλές μέρες από τότε που ανέφερα για πρώτη φορά την τριλογία των "Υποσχέσεων Του Δόκτορα Σιγμούνδου" και που σχολίασα το πρώτο βιβλίο της σειράς. Σε αντίθεση με αυτό, το δεύτερο βιβλίο δεν μου προκάλεσε πονοκέφαλο καθώς ήξερα περί τίνος πρόκειται, δεν χρειάστηκε να ζορίσω παραπάνω απ' όσο έπρεπε τον εαυτό μου προκειμένου να καταλάβω το τι συμβαίνει κατά συνέπεια, να καταλάβω που ακριβώς θέλει να μας οδηγήσει ο συγγραφέας. Και μπορεί να είναι ένα βιβλίο που διαβάζεται εύκολα και γρήγορα...more
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Para a leitura deste segundo volume tinha grandes expectativas. Não esperava, porém, que a desilusão fosse tão grande. Esta é uma estória desconexa, confusa e apressada, que me retirou toda a motivação para ler.

Os protagonistas mantêm-se unidimensionais e perderam todo o encanto. Safam-se demasiado rápido de qualquer alhada, sem grande sacrifício. Novas personagens são adicionadas, que pouco ou nada acrescentam à estória e apenas servem com...more
Ioana
This was a great sequel, but could have been better. Even though Mr. Keaney is a great author at suspense, the book was a bit too fast paced, but it only had 144 pages. I wanted to read the third, but can't find it!
Linda Inês
Este livro é um bocado confuso e por vezes dei por mim e pensar "mas o que raio se está a passar?". No final fiquei com a sensação que há muitas coisas que podiam ter sido melhor explicadas.
Jennifer Calhoun
Wasn't long enough to develop story line.
Estela
I usually don't have high expectations on second books, because they usually disapoint me. But I can say this book was awsome. It isn't a book for soft readers thought, but for those who know how.
I really liked high hopes for the third one.
Zézinha Rosado
Este livro é o segundo de uma série de uma trilogia e, como tal, deveria ter começado por ler o primeiro volume... mas não o tenho, este foi o único que me chegou às mãos.
E mesmo assim posso dizer que gostei do que li, embora seja evidente que se tivesse lido o volume anterior a história faria mais sentido em alguns pormenores.
É um livro pequeno, que se lê num instante (eu li o meu numa tarde) e que, para quem gosta do género fantástico, está repleto de imagens bonitas e cenas heróicas.
Amy
Freedom and dreams are at the heart of this story. Dante and Bea are such likeable and strong characters. Bea makes the point that comfort is not really worth much if there is no freedom to go along with it. Keaney has a gift for articulate imagery that is thoroughly enjoyable to read. I could not stop reading this one! The ending is quite surprising and really leaves the reader hanging. I look forward to discovering what happens in the next book.
i had already read the forst in the series so was expecting this one to be good. although i still loved the characters and the plot, i didnt find it as intruiging as the first book, in general. i really like the relationships in the books and the way that things progress for each character before making sense and coming together as one story. i wo0uld definately read more by this author
Wison705
wow. thoguht this was book one and in goodreads it said book 2...
it was really confusing at the begginging, this man, i think is on a mission to save his friend or he is probally running away from something.
i dont really get it but i hope to find book 1 somewhere....
Jessie
The Cracked Mirror is the sequel to The Hollow People. It's a good book but not quite up to the caliber of its predecessor.
Caitlinleah
i wish these were all published as one big book- i'm not really a series kind of girl. but it's just keeping my interest- i guess i care enough to check out the next one, too.
Mo Yang
The book started out great, but the ending felt a little rushed. A big disappointment in comparison to the first book.
Becka
May 20, 2008 Becka marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
please tell me about this book i cannot weait to read it and am so excited to hear how dante and bea r gettin' on....
Beate

This book felt very rushed compared to the first one :( i will still finish the series, tho.
Felipe
This book was not all that interesting for me. I didnt like it that much.
Tweller83
Continuation of the Dr. Sigmundus story. A classic good vs. evil story.
Inês
2° livro da trilogia apenas comprova aquilo que já referi pro primeiro.
Angelyn
It was an interesting and good book, but not as amazing as the first one.
Brooke
Not as good as the first but I am looking forward to the next one.
LoudVal
did not live up to the pace, characterization, or story in book 1
  • The Un-Magician (OutCast, #1)
  • A Queda dum Anjo
  • Lily's Ghosts
  • Bloodtide (Blood, #1)
  • Bizenghast Volume 5
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 8
  • Ash Mistry and the City of Death (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #2)
  • Zombie Powder: Walk Like a Zombie (Zombie Powder, #4)
  • Beautiful People
  • R.O.D. Read or Dream 1 (R.O.D. Read or Dream, #1)
  • A Sacerdotisa dos Penhascos (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #6)
  • Spray Paint the Walls: The Story of Black Flag
  • Punk Rock and Trailer Parks
  • Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator
  • Immortal Rain, Vol. 8
  • The Gadget
  • A Plague Year
  • Museum of Accidents
Brian is an award-winning children's author. He has written seventeen novels which have been translated into thirteen languages. His most recent novel for children, The Magical Detectives and the Forbidden Spell is published by Orchard Books. He lives in South East London.

More about Brian Keaney...
The Hollow People (The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus, #1) Jacob's Ladder The Resurrection Fields (The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus, #3) Los muchachos no escriben historias de amor. Where Mermaids Sing (Black Apple)