The Woman Who Saved the Children: A Biography of Eglantyne Jebb: Founder of Save the Children

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Since 1919 Save the Children has fought to uphold the human rights of children worldwide. Now promoted by the likes of Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and Julianne Moore the charity’s founder was a childless spinster whose most famous line, ‘I don’t care for children’ makes hers a most unconventional story. Eglantyne’s short life was full of passion and pain, moving from illici...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Oneworld Publications (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Who Saved the Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Who Saved the Children

Nadya
Having never been a fan of biographies I wasn’t expecting much from this book. It was really just to fill in some information gaps in my doctoral research. Contrary to my expectations I was completely taken by Mulley’s account of Eglantyne Jebb’s life. Instead of the drudgery that I usually experience when reading biographies Mulley’s portrayal of Eglantyne’s fascinating life and character drew me in quickly.

Eglantyne’s supportive and socially conscious country gentry family, the feminist influ...more
Lisa
Fascinating read. Amazing what one woman could achieve especially during this time period and whilst having such poor health.
Abby

What an inspiring woman!! Especially considering the times and her poor health!
Nicola
Such an interesting life and such an interesting period of history. Unfortunately the author is not a skilled biographer nor writer and I found this turgid, dense and dull on the whole. Which is a shame as the individuals and history should have been crackling off the page.
Lelde
Good and very thorough book, particularly if you're a fan of either Eglantyn Webb's life and work or if you like historically situated biographies. Enjoyed it though some parts seemed a bit too and almost unnecessarily described to very thorough details and dates.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
S
S marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Eliatan
Eliatan is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Lisa Gray-Wright
Lisa Gray-Wright marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Steph Shrubshall
Steph Shrubshall marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Gisele
Gisele marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Ks
Ks marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Debbie
Debbie is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2013
marrette
marrette marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Frances Johnson
Frances Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Lilo
Lilo marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Franziska Köppen
Franziska Köppen marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Lorraine Byrne
Lorraine Byrne marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
Jennifer Tromello
Jennifer Tromello marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Mich
Mich marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Elaine H
Elaine H marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Sian Sladden
Sian Sladden marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Shawn Jaquiss
Shawn Jaquiss marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
2920529
'The Spy Who Loved: the secrets and lives of Christine Granville, Britain's first female special agent of WWII' is was published in the UK in 2012, and in the USA and Poland 2013. Photo shows me outside Christine's childhood home in Poland. Despite missions that saw her skiing into occupied Poland and being parachuted into occupied France, Christine survived the war, but was murdered for love in 1...more
More about Clare Mulley...
The Spy Who Loved: The Secrets and Lives of Christine Granville The Spy Who Loved Hide and Seek: The Story of a Wartime Agent