Start by marking “The Woman Who Saved the Children: A Biography of Eglantyne Jebb: Founder of Save the Children” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Since 1919 Save the Children has fought to uphold the human rights of children worldwide. Now promoted by the likes of Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and Julianne Moore the charity’s founder was a childless spinster whose most famous line, ‘I don’t care for children’ makes hers a most unconventional story. Eglantyne’s short life was full of passion and pain, moving from illici ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Oneworld Publications (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Who Saved the Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Who Saved the Children

Nadya
Oct 23, 2012 Nadya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having never been a fan of biographies I wasn’t expecting much from this book. It was really just to fill in some information gaps in my doctoral research. Contrary to my expectations I was completely taken by Mulley’s account of Eglantyne Jebb’s life. Instead of the drudgery that I usually experience when reading biographies Mulley’s portrayal of Eglantyne’s fascinating life and character drew me in quickly.

Eglantyne’s supportive and socially conscious country gentry family, the feminist influ
Eliatan
Sep 15, 2014 Eliatan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a supporter of Save the Children, which is how I first came across this book. I bought it as an act of charity from their website, but I was delighted as I delved into it to discover the fascinating life of their founder, Eglantyne. Brave and adventurous women hold a special place in my heart.

An excellently researched and well written book, I'd like to read more of Clare's writing.
Lisa
Aug 10, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating read. Amazing what one woman could achieve especially during this time period and whilst having such poor health.
Abby
Jun 24, 2012 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography

What an inspiring woman!! Especially considering the times and her poor health!
Nicola
Mar 02, 2014 Nicola rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Such an interesting life and such an interesting period of history. Unfortunately the author is not a skilled biographer nor writer and I found this turgid, dense and dull on the whole. Which is a shame as the individuals and history should have been crackling off the page.
Lelde
Oct 07, 2012 Lelde rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and very thorough book, particularly if you're a fan of either Eglantyn Webb's life and work or if you like historically situated biographies. Enjoyed it though some parts seemed a bit too and almost unnecessarily described to very thorough details and dates.
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Janet Lee
Janet Lee rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Jo Ellis
Jo Ellis rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Liz Thackray
Liz Thackray rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Lori
Lori is currently reading it
May 20, 2016
Sally J. Nestor
Sally J. Nestor marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Felix Vijay
Felix Vijay marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Kai Ling, Phoebe
Kai Ling, Phoebe marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Wine
Wine rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Sam
Sam is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2016
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Lisa Glass
Lisa Glass marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Lisa Graham
Lisa Graham marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Sooz888
Sooz888 marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Jennifer Gillen
Jennifer Gillen rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
DIMITRA
DIMITRA marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Juliette  Coatsworth
Juliette Coatsworth rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Kathryne Gill
Kathryne Gill is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2016
Olga Baytaluk
Olga Baytaluk marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Michelle Cooper
Michelle Cooper marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
2920529
'The Spy Who Loved: the secrets and lives of Christine Granville, Britain's first female special agent of WWII' is was published in the UK in 2012, and in the USA and Poland 2013. Photo shows me outside Christine's childhood home in Poland. Despite missions that saw her skiing into occupied Poland and being parachuted into occupied France, Christine survived the war, but was murdered for love in 1 ...more
More about Clare Mulley...