Start by marking “He Crashed Me So I Crashed Him Back: The True Story of the Year the King, Jaws, Earnhardt, and the Rest of NASCAR's Feudin', Fightin' Good Ol' Boys Put Stock Car Racing on the Map” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  122 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
On a cold February day in 1979, when most of the Northeast was snowed in by a blizzard, NASCAR entered the American consciousness with a dramatic telecast of the Daytona 500. It was the first 500-mile race to be broadcast live on national television and featured the heroes and legends of the sport racing on a hallowed track. With one of the wildest finishes in sports histo ...more
Published February 2nd 2011 by Back Bay Books (first published January 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about He Crashed Me So I Crashed Him Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He Crashed Me So I Crashed Him Back

Terri
Jul 26, 2010 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nascar, non-fiction
This is the story of the 1979 NASCAR season. When the giants were fighting and the sport began to grow. The Allison,s Petty, Walltip, Parsons, Pearson, Yarborough, Earnhardt. A period I would love to have seen...
Joanne
Jan 24, 2010 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-books-read
It is 1979 and NASCAR is not a sport that most of the country is watching on TV. On a very snowy Sunday in February, the country is pounded by winter weather and a lot of the major sports (football, hockey, basketball) are not having games because of that. CBS decides that it will broadcast the Daytona 500 and keep sports fans happy.

The fans are treated to the whole race, where in the past they are treated to highlights only. The end of this particular race was exciting, as a fight ensued betwee
Badly Drawn Girl

I have to start off this review by explaining two things... 1. I won this book through a giveaway and 2. I don't know the first thing about NASCAR. I have never watched a race, I don't have any knowledge of what the sport entails beyond the basic stereotypical nonsense that everyone knows.

Based on this information one might assume that I wouldn't enjoy this book. Well, I did. I enjoyed it a lot. I figured the title alone was worth giving the book a chance.

He Crashed Me... documents the early ye
Ed
Jun 22, 2010 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book about the 1979 NASCAR season. 1979 was an interesting year because it was right before the sport started its rapid expansion and many of the legendary drivers (Petty, Pearson, Yarborough, Bobby Allison) were still racing. Younger drivers which would take the sport to new heights (Earnhardt, Waltrip, Elliott, Rudd, Labonte) were just starting to emerge. It's your standard sports book that follows one season. As the season goes on he picks out personalities and does a shor ...more
Roxanne
Feb 01, 2016 Roxanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have watching Nascar a long time now. They are like kindgergarten boys. When one driver wrecks another war is on and then stuff happens.
Angie
Jan 09, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-but-unowned
This isn't my usual type of book and I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. The author has a wonderful and humorous style of writing (some of the footnotes made me laugh out loud). The 1979 season is stretched out throughout the book and paced very well with backstories to help you better understand what was going on or how they got there. A few times I felt it got bogged down too much in historical/sociological conclusions that dragged on a little longer than I wanted to read. But ov ...more
Josh Desotell
Jan 26, 2016 Josh Desotell rated it really liked it
A great telling of NASCAR stories abut the "good ol' days".
Scott
May 18, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just some good ol' boys trying to make some 'Sunday money' in the '79 racing season -- and nothing would ever be the same again.
David Close
Apr 09, 2015 David Close rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed it.
Jennifer Short
I'm not a NASCAR fan. In fact, I don't know if I ever have watched a race. However, I still enjoyed this book. When you put some fast cars in the hands of good ole boys, add in competition, some prize money, pride, pistols, a shark with a dead chicken in its mouth, and you've got the sport that is now so popular. I loved some of the stories in this book about the things some of the drivers did!

*I received the copy I read for this review from the Goodreads Book Giveaway*
Bridget
Mar 06, 2010 Bridget rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
NASCAR has always fascinated me. I would love to have the confidence to get out there and race. The thrill of the drive would be such an adrenaline rush. He Crashed Me is a thrilling read about NASCAR drivers. These people risk their lives in these races, all for the joy of the sport. There are fights, enemies and crazy fans. The true stories was one of my favorite things about this book. If you like NASCAR and drama, this is the book for you.
Dr. Detroit
I was snared into reading this based on an entertaining but creatively-edited excerpt published in "Sports Illustrated" not long ago. Truth be told Cooter there really isn't that much feudin' OR fightin' here aside from an overblown and overrated dust-up between Cale Yarborough and Donnie Allison at the 1979 Daytona 500.

Not as boring as actually watching NASCAR, but not far off.

Sloan
Jun 19, 2013 Sloan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I've ever watched a complete NASCAR race or even especially wanted to, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I picked it up on some undefined whim, but got drawn into the stories about the early days of NASCAR as well as the race-by-race format for reselling the 1979 season. Highly recommended for NASCAR fans and recommended for all readers just looking for a good read.
David
Apr 24, 2010 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A race-by-race account of the 1979 NASCAR season, the year that events (snowstorms, spectacular wrecks, and one famous fistfight) combined to awaken American's interest in the heretofore Southern-fried sport.

Bechtel gets up close and personal with the drivers and pit crews and their recollections flesh out this very entertaining book; it's definitely not just for NASCAR fans.
Sherman
A good book about the early years of Nascar startin in the late 70's. All about the top names like Richard Petty, Bobby Allison, Earnhardt and many more. The turnaround for Nascar was probably the fight between Cale Yarbrough and Bobby Allison at the end of their race when it came to blows and this started the trend that is with us today. More fights, more fans enjoy!
Pam
Jul 27, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All race fans
Good read if you are a NASCAR fan. Mostly about 1979 Daytona 500 race when the country had a big snowstorm and we had nothing else much to do but watch the race. That is what put NASCAR on the map and made fans of us. Has just continued to grow in popularity since then. The epilogue is sad.
Michael
Nov 14, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, racing
Enjoyable and very readable re-telling of the 1979 NASCAR season. Great insight into the golden age of 70s racing with portraits of Petty, Yarborough, Pearson, Darrell Waltrip, Earnhardt et al. Very much worth reading if you're a fan at all. Really, really needs some photos though!
Tracey Renzi
Jul 23, 2013 Tracey Renzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great insight not only into the 1979 Daytona 500, which helped out NASCAR on the television road to national prominence but also a nice lesson in the history of NASCAR. This book is a good read for any NASCAR fan, whether lifelong or just getting into the sport.
Andrea Kepner
Jul 20, 2010 Andrea Kepner rated it really liked it
The history of NASCAR -- something I know little about despite being an avid racing fan -- is even more fascinating than I'd thought. Such amazing real life characters. Plus I crack up every time I see the title.
William
Mar 17, 2010 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book provides a detailed summary of 1979, that magic year that made NASCAR what it is today.

Entertaining, humorous in spots, tragic in others.

Worth reading more than once.
Erica
Jun 04, 2010 Erica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. As a long time NASCAR fan, I always enjoying learning more about the history of the sport. I learned more about the 1979 season from this book.
Hardeep
May 18, 2010 Hardeep rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Conclusive proof that the history of NASCAR is just about as boring as watching it on TV... Perhaps less so...
John
Content was ok, the style is frustrating and often seems like just so much filler.
Sue
Jan 25, 2015 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Made me miss NASCAR 'the way it was' as opposed to today's overhyped, corporate gloss.
Terry
Jan 14, 2014 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a big NASCAR fan - but was curious. It was a good read.
Cody
Nov 30, 2011 Cody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VERY INFORMATIONAL.
DENNIS MCINTYRE JR
DENNIS MCINTYRE JR rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Alexandra Daytona
Alexandra Daytona rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Arthur Goldgaber
Arthur Goldgaber marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • In the Blink of an Eye: Dale, Daytona, and the Day that Changed Everything
  • Driving with the Devil: Southern Moonshine, Detroit Wheels, and the Birth of NASCAR
  • Speed Secrets: Professional Race Driving Techniques
  • Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans
  • Bud, Sweat & Tees: A Walk on the Wild Side of the PGA Tour
  • The Echoing Green: The Untold Story of Bobby Thomson, Ralph Branca and the Shot Heard Round the World
  • Last Dance: Behind the Scenes at the Final Four
  • The Yugo: The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History
  • Engines of Change: A History of the American Dream in Fifteen Cars
  • 747: Creating the World's First Jumbo Jet and Other Adventures from a Life in Aviation
  • The Limit: Life and Death on the 1961 Grand Prix Circuit
  • Life on the Run
  • Namath: a Biography
  • Driving Like Crazy: Thirty Years of Vehicular Hell-bending, Celebrating America the Way It's Supposed To Be -- With an Oil Well in Every Backyard, a Cadillac Escalade in Every Carport, and the Chairman of the Federal Reserve Mowing Our Lawn
  • Moscow, December 25th, 1991