The Killing Kind

The Killing Kind

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  44 reviews

The classic ultra-splatter roadtrip in the spirit of Natural Born Killers and The Devil's Rejects. Roxie is the goth girl of your dreams. There's just one problem-

she's batshit crazy and has a fetish for murder. After a petty insult at a gas station, she goes on a murder spree, hunting down those that pissed her off. But

she's not the only monster on the road. There are

Mass Market Paperback, 321 pages
Published June 29th 2010 by leisure fiction

Sorrow's Point by Danielle DeVorThe Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. PendletonSchool Spirit Day by Alshia Delores MoyezCarrie by Stephen KingFake an Injury Day by Alshia Delores Moyez
Creepy Kids
7th out of 35 books — 32 voters
It Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleyDracula by Bram StokerThe Exorcist by William Peter BlattySwan Song by Robert McCammonLet the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
Best Horror Novels Not By King or Koontz
252nd out of 342 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Nelson
More of the same from Bryan Smith, The Killing Kind is another bold, brash and highly entertaining kill fest. If you’re looking for deep character development, wonderful prose or something that really makes you think, then go look somewhere else, The Killing Kind isn’t that kind of read. What this is a juggernaut paced barrel of violent fun that plays out like a movie with characters that more often than not have violent or sexual tendency’s and that’s it in a nutshell.

This book tells the story...more
Bandit
The youth is wasted on the young indeed. Appalingly selfish self absorbed nihilistic oversexed and plain demented youngsters have sex with and torture/murder each other in a variety of creative ways. This is a no brainer, almost no particularly sympathetic characters no deeper meaning, no hidden metaphors, just a straight up lightning paced slasher. You gotta be in the mood for this sort of thing.But if you are, I recommend it.
11811 (Eleven)
Bryan smith can come across as a disturbed individual. This is fortunate for those of us who are huge fans of his madness.
Kittykorn
oh my god, I totally loved this book, really enjoyed it, action all the way through,
William M.
3 AND 1/2 STARS

This is definitely one of Bryan Smith's better horror novels. Visceral and highly charged, the first half reminded me a lot of the late, great Richard Laymon. Smith focuses on a select group of characters and their rather graphic killing spree, mainly set over a week of rampant slaughter. There are quite a few scenes of violence that will make even most jaded reader uncomfortable. Although most of the characters, on the surface, are not very likable, the female killer, Roxie, is...more
DJMikeG
Bryan Smith serves up his most unapologetically gruesome, sleazy, disgusting book yet with 'The Killing Kind'. You can probably tell from the opening sentence of my review that Smith's books aren't for everyone. If you are a horror fan with a billy-goatish constitution you will most likely be able to handle this book, and if you're twisted as hell to boot, you might enjoy it. This is one, dark, nasty book that starts at a gallop and then races into a sprint. I would rate it higher, but I thought...more
Jessie
Jul 23, 2013 Jessie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: usa
I don't understand how this has a 4.10 average rating.
It wasn't much of a horror novel, it was more like bad smut.
This was my first Bryan Smith novel and, judging from other reviews, it is one of his best. If that's true than I don't think I'll be reading more of his books.
Lionel Green
Bryan Smith writes hard-core, grind-house horror at its bloody best. If you like your horror extreme (and I do), Smith is one of the must-read authors. "The Killing Kind" is about a psycho killer Goth chick named Roxie who kidnaps an all-American guy and forces him to drive her hundreds of miles to Myrtle Beach, where she plans to slaughter a group of college guys and girls for teasing her at a strip mall. Roxie is a stone-cold killer who's not averse to shooting everybody in a random car that p...more
Travis Davis
Bryan Smith is without a doubt one of the most exciting writers I've had the pleasure to discover in quite some time. The Killing Kind is easily one of the most visceral experiences I've ever had reading a horror novel.

The sheer Nihilism found within the pages of The Killing Kind is in my opinion where the novel exceeds, heroism is a rarity in this world and when it is shown by one of the few "good" characters, they pay a hefty and painful price for it. In fact when reading TKK, one can't help b...more
Раян
Without putting a value judgment on this, I think this book definitely falls in the exploitation category. It's the kind of book that you feel like you shouldn't enjoy, yet you can't stop reading it because it's so morbidly compelling. Now, to return to the comment about the "exploitation" label, whether intentionally or not, I think exploitation fiction/movies in general provide their own unique kind of insights. These works exist because people like them. And I don't think (most) people like t...more
Monster
Rob Scott has a penchant for the bad girl, goth-type ... and he has just seen the woman of his dreams. A dark angel fallen from the heavens saunters towards him as he pumps gas on another mundane day in an equally mundane life. It’s too good to be true…until she pulls the gun, presses it against his belly and turns his life and his future upside down.

Six very spoiled rich kids, on a road trip to a beach vacation with not a care in the world are about to learn that they have a predestined date w...more
Nick Cato
For those who thought Smith's last offering (DEPRAVED) was intense, wait till you get about a quarter of the way through his latest extreme horror tale. THE KILLING KIND is basically an ultra violent road story told in a nihilistic glee that at times had me doubting the author's sanity.

Some poor guy named Rob is car-jacked by a gorgeous goth-looking girl named Roxie. With a gun aimed at his head, she basically tells him he's going to help her follow a van full idiots who had the audacity to look...more
Kaisersoze
The Killing Kind is a difficult one to review. I really liked some of the ideas here, but in contrast, other aspects didn't quite grab me. For instance, the concept of "Lulu" was intriguing and could easily have been expanded into a book of its own. But I struggled with not having a single character - at least initially - to identify with, since almost everyone here seems to be a killer, a wimp, or overly mean and horrible when it comes to their supposed friends. In fact, this aspect reminded me...more
Shadow Girl
A proper review will come soon...
Until I get it written, here's a few thoughts -
I really enjoyed this book :) even better than the one of Bryan Smith's that I read just before this, (The Dark Ones) and that was pretty good, too!
What I enjoyed the most was that it could be real. Could have happened as I read it, might happen tomorrow. Point is - the only monsters are the human kind. The Killing Kind. I admit, seeing things through my eyes might give normal people nightmares, but Roxie is a bad-a...more
Marie-Therese
>>>
Als Rob seinen Wagen volltankt, taucht dieses sexy Gothicgirl auf und hält ihm eine Knarre an den Kopf. Sie braucht einen Chauffeur, denn sie verfolgt vier Jugendliche, die über sie gelacht haben. Offenbar will sie die abknallen. Rob kann es nicht fassen. Doch noch weniger versteht er sich selbst: Er will bei ihr bleiben, er will Sex mit ihr, er will ihr beim Morden helfen. Denn es tut gut, endlich seine Wut und Lust zu befriedigen …
<<< (Klappentext)

Cover
Hach, ich lieb...more
Mark R.
***1/2

I came across this book at the Book Rack, a used book store I used to hit up a lot when I was a kid. Their selection isn't that great; I'd guess about half of the store is made up of romance novels. But they have a decent horror section that sometimes yields some good offerings. A fan of Leisure Books, I picked up this novel by Bryan Smith, and found it to be a fairly compelling read.

The story concerns some obnoxious, mostly rich kids, heading for a beach vacation at one of their father's...more
Becky
Zum Buch
Rob steht gerade an der Tankstelle um seinen Chevrolet vollzutanken als er Roxie sieht. Ein Gothic Girl auf der anderen Straßenseite, die auch noch genau auf ihn zusteuert. Während sie vorhat ihn zu entführen, ist er zu sehr in Gedanken und merkt daher nicht, welche Gefahr ihm droht. Erst als sie ihm eine Pistole in die Rippen drückt, wird ihm klar, was geschieht.
Mit Handschellen ans Lenkrad gefesselt, starten sie ihre skurrile Tour nach Myrtal Beach.

Zeitgleich ist eine Gruppe Jugendlich...more
Jeff French
There are some minor spoilers in this review.

I would rate this book 3.5 stars. It's good, but I was hoping for more. One of the issues was how many psychopathic people there were in this book. They seem to be growing on trees. Another problem I had was with Rob. This guy is given several chances to get away from Roxie, but doesn't take them. The author tries to sell the idea that they have had sex once and now he's under her spell, but I don't buy it. If he was fascinated by the killings, I migh...more
Carly Patterson
This was the most disturbing book I have read in the horror genre. That being said I loved this book. The mental sickness and lack of empathy that the characters show was very interesting. Definitely a recommended read for horror fans.
Mandel
Twisted and gory, full of characters you would never ever want to meet. In other words, great!
Misti
Be careful how you treat people... For some high school students on spring break, their trip to the beach may not turn out at all the way they had hoped. Early on the trip they offend someone by being rude. Little did they know she is unstable and will go to great lengths to procure her vengeance including kidnapping, torture, and murder. Why you ask? Because she is The Killing Kind.

A well written story of how people should mind their manners, or suffer the consequences.
J.
Feb 12, 2011 J. added it
I can neither justify my reading of this gory, sex-crazed, over-the-top horror-thriller, nor in good conscience recommend it to anyone else (who's not a gore-horror fan).

But... I'm pretty sure it did exactly what it was supposed to do for me - the constant thrill of "I can't believe I'm reading this." It makes for a very queasy sort of fun. Didn't want anyone looking over my shoulder on the subway, though, I'll tell you that.
Annika
That was so freaking twisted, it was awesome! I am a horror loving fan and I thought The Killing Kind was just wicked cool.
I mean, sure, it was a bit sick and ugly at some parts but that was true horror at it's greatest.
I really liked how everything kind of tied in together at the end, and it ended the way a real horror story should end.
I definitely plan on reading more of Bryan Smith's books!
Raymond Esposito
if you like your horror brutal, crazy and without pulling any punches then this is the Bryan Smith Novel to-read. Bryan Smith is like Jack Ketchum, if Mr. Ketchum lost his moral compass. The Killing Kind is a fast-paced, make you cringe at the craziness type of story. Much like Richard Laymon, Smith's writing style makes his books easy to read. An absolute lovely blood-fest!
Krystyna Schneider
I loved this book!! It reminded me of a Richard Laymon novel really which is a good thing for me, but was very well written with lots of different plots coming together at the end. I loved the character of Roxie, although you feel that you shouldn't! All in all a very enjoyable read that I will read again and again :)
Trudy Powders
I dont even know where to start with this review.This book gave me the creeps!Serial killers,friendships betrayed,murder,mayhem,mental illness,love gone horribly wrong.This book contains all this and then some.This was the first book by this author I have read,it wont be the last.Adults only,extreme violence.
Nevertaken
I got half way through this book in two sittings, when I let other books take priority and now haven't picked it up in over a month.

I did enjoy it, so I plan to pick it back up eventually, and I might start over. It did feel like it was losing momentum a bit, but I need to give it a better chance for sure.
Steven
Roxie is a stone cold killer and she loves Rob, the wimp she abducts and bends to her will. They make quite a couple--she loves him, and although repulsed by her brutality, he cannot resist her. The ancillary characters were interesting, the story and perversity riveting. I look forward to the sequel.
Tim McWhorter
Brutal. Very brutal. But, the pacing, dialogue and the writing on a whole was excellent. You've got to know what you're getting into before you read this one, though. Alot of death, most of it preceded by torture, and a whole lot of brutality. If you can handle it, highly recommended.
This book is a horror/slasher movie in novel form. The story follows a group of college kids on a spring break trip to Myrtle Beach where violence and gore await them. I enjoyed the well-defined characters. It's a page turner and a quick read.
  • The Resurrectionist