Start by marking “The Killing Kind” as Want to Read:
The Killing Kind

The Killing Kind

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  633 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews

The classic ultra-splatter roadtrip in the spirit of Natural Born Killers and The Devil's Rejects. Roxie is the goth girl of your dreams. There's just one problem-

she's batshit crazy and has a fetish for murder. After a petty insult at a gas station, she goes on a murder spree, hunting down those that pissed her off. But

she's not the only monster on the road. There are

Mass Market Paperback, 321 pages
Published June 29th 2010 by leisure fiction

To ask other readers questions about The Killing Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killing Kind

Sorrow's Point by Danielle DeVorCarrie by Stephen KingPet Sematary by Stephen KingThe Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. PendletonSchool Spirit Day by Alshia Moyez
Creepy Kids
10th out of 71 books — 44 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerThe Exorcist by William Peter BlattySwan Song by Robert McCammonThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonI Am Legend and Other Stories by Richard Matheson
Best Horror Novels Not By King or Koontz
374th out of 437 books — 420 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Nelson
Mar 30, 2014 Paul Nelson rated it really liked it
More of the same from Bryan Smith, The Killing Kind is another bold, brash and highly entertaining kill fest. If you’re looking for deep character development, wonderful prose or something that really makes you think, then go look somewhere else, The Killing Kind isn’t that kind of read. What this is a juggernaut paced barrel of violent fun that plays out like a movie with characters that more often than not have violent or sexual tendency’s and that’s it in a nutshell.

This book tells the story
Jack Tripper
Jan 20, 2016 Jack Tripper rated it really liked it
I felt like I should get down on my knees and pray for my twisted soul after reading The Killing Kind, and I'm not the least bit religious. That's just how disturbed I was while reading. Not just because of WHAT I was reading, but the fact that I was enjoying it so much.

It has two main converging plotlines. The first is about a group of spoiled rich kids on their way to Myrtle Beach for a week of partying while on spring break. The second is about Roxie, a super-sexy goth chick who also happens
Shadow Girl
Nov 22, 2013 Shadow Girl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: unread-gotem
A proper review will come soon...
Until I get it written, here's a few thoughts -
I really enjoyed this book :) even better than the one of Bryan Smith's that I read just before this, (The Dark Ones) and that was pretty good, too!
What I enjoyed the most was that it could be real. Could have happened as I read it, might happen tomorrow. Point is - the only monsters are the human kind. The Killing Kind. I admit, seeing things through my eyes might give normal people nightmares, but Roxie is a bad-a
11811 (Eleven)
Mar 31, 2011 11811 (Eleven) rated it really liked it
Bryan smith can come across as a disturbed individual. This is fortunate for those of us who are huge fans of his madness.
Kittykorn
oh my god, I totally loved this book, really enjoyed it, action all the way through,
DJMikeG
Jul 07, 2010 DJMikeG rated it liked it
Bryan Smith serves up his most unapologetically gruesome, sleazy, disgusting book yet with 'The Killing Kind'. You can probably tell from the opening sentence of my review that Smith's books aren't for everyone. If you are a horror fan with a billy-goatish constitution you will most likely be able to handle this book, and if you're twisted as hell to boot, you might enjoy it. This is one, dark, nasty book that starts at a gallop and then races into a sprint. I would rate it higher, but I thought ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Feb 25, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, thriller, fiction, goth
This was an okay horror novel I guess, but there really wasn't much of an actual story to it. It was a lunatic girl killing people, mixed up with a lot of gore and more swearing and profanity than the bathroom walls in a public high school. I don't have much of a problem with this kind of thing in moderation, but if I read a horror novel I like it to at least have a good story over anything else.
Bandit
May 11, 2012 Bandit rated it really liked it
The youth is wasted on the young indeed. Appalingly selfish self absorbed nihilistic oversexed and plain demented youngsters have sex with and torture/murder each other in a variety of creative ways. This is a no brainer, almost no particularly sympathetic characters no deeper meaning, no hidden metaphors, just a straight up lightning paced slasher. You gotta be in the mood for this sort of thing.But if you are, I recommend it.
Jessie
Jul 23, 2013 Jessie rated it it was ok
Shelves: usa
I don't understand how this has a 4.10 average rating.
It wasn't much of a horror novel, it was more like bad smut.
This was my first Bryan Smith novel and, judging from other reviews, it is one of his best. If that's true than I don't think I'll be reading more of his books.
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 William M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
3 AND 1/2 STARS

This is definitely one of Bryan Smith's better horror novels. Visceral and highly charged, the first half reminded me a lot of the late, great Richard Laymon. Smith focuses on a select group of characters and their rather graphic killing spree, mainly set over a week of rampant slaughter. There are quite a few scenes of violence that will make even most jaded reader uncomfortable. Although most of the characters, on the surface, are not very likable, the female killer, Roxie, is
Travis Davis
Nov 12, 2011 Travis Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bryan Smith is without a doubt one of the most exciting writers I've had the pleasure to discover in quite some time. The Killing Kind is easily one of the most visceral experiences I've ever had reading a horror novel.

The sheer Nihilism found within the pages of The Killing Kind is in my opinion where the novel exceeds, heroism is a rarity in this world and when it is shown by one of the few "good" characters, they pay a hefty and painful price for it. In fact when reading TKK, one can't help b
Monster
Oct 15, 2010 Monster rated it it was amazing
Rob Scott has a penchant for the bad girl, goth-type ... and he has just seen the woman of his dreams. A dark angel fallen from the heavens saunters towards him as he pumps gas on another mundane day in an equally mundane life. It’s too good to be true…until she pulls the gun, presses it against his belly and turns his life and his future upside down.

Six very spoiled rich kids, on a road trip to a beach vacation with not a care in the world are about to learn that they have a predestined date w
Gretel
Aug 29, 2014 Gretel rated it did not like it
This book was not what I was expecting at all; it made me feel dirty, it made me sick, and honestly I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they have a really strong stomach and a love for feeling first person murder. *shudder* definitely wasn't for me
Bob Meracle
Mar 29, 2015 Bob Meracle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting road trip involving a female serial killer and her path of destruction. A little confusing at times, but a good solid read once the dust settles and the blood dries. Not for the squeamish. Highly recommended.
Brittany Freeman
Dec 08, 2015 Brittany Freeman rated it it was amazing
it was crazy very graphic sexual an violent, i really enjoyed this brain twister although the ending coulda been better i liked this book alot.
Elusive
Dec 18, 2015 Elusive rated it liked it
Shelves: review
‘The Killing Kind’ is about Roxie, a bloodthirsty killer who hunts down a group of people after one of them ridiculed her. She drags along a guy named Rob and uses him but more danger lies ahead as they meet other vicious people along the way.

There’s no doubt that this is one hell of an unpleasant book to read. The author doesn’t hold back as he delivers generous amounts of gore and violence, combined with grisly descriptions and the insinuations used in some scenes were quite disturbing. There’
Heike Herrmann
Aug 02, 2015 Heike Herrmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gelesen
Kurzbeschreibung:

Als Rob seinen Wagen voll tankt, taucht dieses sexy Gothicgirl auf und hält ihm eine Knarre an den Kopf. Sie braucht einen Chauffeur, denn sie verfolgt vier Jugendliche, die über sie gelacht haben. Offenbar will sie die abknallen. Rob kann es nicht fassen. Doch noch weniger versteht er sich selbst: Er will bei ihr bleiben, er will Sex mit ihr, er will ihr beim Morden helfen. Denn es tut gut, endlich seine Wut und Lust zu befriedigen ...

Bryan Smith zeigt das einzig echte Monster:
Petra Donatz
Apr 07, 2015 Petra Donatz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gastrezension von Karl (meiner besseren Hälfte)
Klappentext
Bryan
Саведра
Without putting a value judgment on this, I think this book definitely falls in the exploitation category. It's the kind of book that you feel like you shouldn't enjoy, yet you can't stop reading it because it's so morbidly compelling. Now, to return to the comment about the "exploitation" label, whether intentionally or not, I think exploitation fiction/movies in general provide their own unique kind of insights. These works exist because people like them. And I don't think (most) people like t ...more
Nick Cato
Jul 21, 2010 Nick Cato rated it really liked it
For those who thought Smith's last offering (DEPRAVED) was intense, wait till you get about a quarter of the way through his latest extreme horror tale. THE KILLING KIND is basically an ultra violent road story told in a nihilistic glee that at times had me doubting the author's sanity.

Some poor guy named Rob is car-jacked by a gorgeous goth-looking girl named Roxie. With a gun aimed at his head, she basically tells him he's going to help her follow a van full idiots who had the audacity to look
Kaisersoze
Oct 01, 2013 Kaisersoze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The Killing Kind is a difficult one to review. I really liked some of the ideas here, but in contrast, other aspects didn't quite grab me. For instance, the concept of "Lulu" was intriguing and could easily have been expanded into a book of its own. But I struggled with not having a single character - at least initially - to identify with, since almost everyone here seems to be a killer, a wimp, or overly mean and horrible when it comes to their supposed friends. In fact, this aspect reminded me ...more
Marie-Therese
Dec 17, 2012 Marie-Therese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
>>>
Als Rob seinen Wagen volltankt, taucht dieses sexy Gothicgirl auf und hält ihm eine Knarre an den Kopf. Sie braucht einen Chauffeur, denn sie verfolgt vier Jugendliche, die über sie gelacht haben. Offenbar will sie die abknallen. Rob kann es nicht fassen. Doch noch weniger versteht er sich selbst: Er will bei ihr bleiben, er will Sex mit ihr, er will ihr beim Morden helfen. Denn es tut gut, endlich seine Wut und Lust zu befriedigen …
<<< (Klappentext)

Cover
Hach, ich lieb
Mark R.
***1/2

I came across this book at the Book Rack, a used book store I used to hit up a lot when I was a kid. Their selection isn't that great; I'd guess about half of the store is made up of romance novels. But they have a decent horror section that sometimes yields some good offerings. A fan of Leisure Books, I picked up this novel by Bryan Smith, and found it to be a fairly compelling read.

The story concerns some obnoxious, mostly rich kids, heading for a beach vacation at one of their father's
Becky
Aug 24, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zum Buch
Rob steht gerade an der Tankstelle um seinen Chevrolet vollzutanken als er Roxie sieht. Ein Gothic Girl auf der anderen Straßenseite, die auch noch genau auf ihn zusteuert. Während sie vorhat ihn zu entführen, ist er zu sehr in Gedanken und merkt daher nicht, welche Gefahr ihm droht. Erst als sie ihm eine Pistole in die Rippen drückt, wird ihm klar, was geschieht.
Mit Handschellen ans Lenkrad gefesselt, starten sie ihre skurrile Tour nach Myrtal Beach.

Zeitgleich ist eine Gruppe Jugendlich
Jeff French
Dec 14, 2012 Jeff French rated it liked it
Shelves: serial-killers
There are some minor spoilers in this review.

I would rate this book 3.5 stars. It's good, but I was hoping for more. One of the issues was how many psychopathic people there were in this book. They seem to be growing on trees. Another problem I had was with Rob. This guy is given several chances to get away from Roxie, but doesn't take them. The author tries to sell the idea that they have had sex once and now he's under her spell, but I don't buy it. If he was fascinated by the killings, I migh
Mandy Andersonn
Feb 10, 2015 Mandy Andersonn rated it it was ok
I must be a seriously twisted bitch, because I really don't see what all the hype is about this book. Typical slasher, characters have no real substance, and although there's plenty of sex going on, none of it is explicit. Perhaps it was growing into a bookworm on Stephen King, Clive Barker, Brian Lumley, etc... but these books just aren't all that shocking. Mildly entertaining at best.
Warren Thoms
Apr 03, 2016 Warren Thoms rated it liked it
Very much Natural Born Killers but I think with a bit more blood. This is my first book that I have read from Bryan Smith and it was bloody and gruesome. Rob was not the willing participant in the killing spree and it was interesting to see him look internally at his options and the decisions that he has made.
Carly Patterson
Apr 11, 2014 Carly Patterson rated it really liked it
This was the most disturbing book I have read in the horror genre. That being said I loved this book. The mental sickness and lack of empathy that the characters show was very interesting. Definitely a recommended read for horror fans.
Angela
Nov 13, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
Ahhh, a story of socio-psychopaths killing for the enjoyment. While not as strong a book as his Depraved, this was filled with gore and torture along with youths who just don't give a s**t about society and act on base urges with no moral compass.
Jonathan Reitan
A brutal read from page one to close. Suspenseful, exciting, and full of gore. Bryan Smith pulls a punch with this one (and a few stabs of the knife), and it'll be making you lust for more in the recently released THE KILLING KIND 2!
  • The Resurrectionist