Start by marking “The Truth of the Matter: Art and Craft in Creative Nonfiction” as Want to Read:
The Truth of the Matter: Art and Craft in Creative Nonfiction

The Truth of the Matter: Art and Craft in Creative Nonfiction

This introduction to creative nonfiction examines the building blocks of nonfiction prose one by one, illustrating how individual voice and narrative strategies delineate this literary form from conventional nonfiction. Individual chapters are devoted to detail and description, characterization and scene, distinctive voice, intimate point-of-view, and the various ways in w ...more
Published March 13th 2006 by Pearson

Wendy
There are some gems in this book. The selection and analysis of short essays is particularly strong. A tiny quibble: some of the terminology is odd -- "literary journalism essay"?? Overall, this is a useful book for those teaching creative nonfiction and my students appreciate its friendly tone and deep clarity.
Maggie
Dec 11, 2012 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, pedagogy
Hands down, my favorite textbook for teaching Personal Essay or Creative Nonfiction. The writing instruction is sensible and not at all preachy, the exercises are useful, and the anthology is packed with a variety of readings. I would love to see an expanded and updated second edition someday, but in the meantime, I'll keep going back to this again and again. The one semester I didn't choose this for a Personal Essay class, I immediately regretted it.
Marilyn
Sep 21, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Not totally finished with this wonderful tome; yet, I am now aware of my instructor's reason for praising Dinty W. Moore's work.

This book not only cleared up for me some things I never understood, but he offers many pieces by other authors whose well thought out and expressed works are inspiring.

Angie
Apr 01, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing
I am relatively new to creative nonfiction, so this book was a fantastic overview of the major sub-genres of creative nonfiction that I hope to play with a lot more in the future. The essays in the anthology were interesting reads as well.
Joanna
May 15, 2007 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every Writer
The BEST craft of nonfiction book I've found. It actually addresses key issues, is built to help, and is written well.
Yogadog Wendy
Feb 01, 2013 Yogadog Wendy rated it it was amazing
Great book on craft, with examples in the anthology. Currently reading this for a class, but a good read for anyone who wants to write memoir or essay.
Arlene Walker
Apr 24, 2012 Arlene Walker rated it really liked it
Great as a textbook for writing the personal essay.
Jessica
Jul 19, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: academic
A thoughtful guide to writing creative nonfiction, with a lot of wonderful examples of the genre.
Monique
Oct 14, 2014 Monique rated it really liked it
I read this book for school.
Priscilla
Jan 21, 2013 Priscilla rated it really liked it
Will teach this book for the first time this semester & expect it to be a great book in the classroom.

Jen
May 22, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
For any beginning creative nonfiction writer, this book is chock full of motivation and ideas to get you started in the right direction.
Robin Hudson
Aug 21, 2012 Robin Hudson rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
For a creative non-fiction class
Laurie
Jan 27, 2008 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to the basics of creative nonfiction with a superb anthology.
Loree Burns
Dec 30, 2010 Loree Burns rated it it was amazing
Now one of my all-time favorite nonfiction craft books. I particularly enjoyed the included essays and discussions. Wonderful! Inspiring!
Elle Wingate
Elle Wingate rated it did not like it
Oct 30, 2012
Lana Shepherd
Lana Shepherd rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2017
Ak.
Ak. rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2010
Ben Ogles
Ben Ogles rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2011
Lynnie
Lynnie rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
Sophfronia Scott
Sophfronia Scott rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2013
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2013
Linda Gartz
Linda Gartz rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
Brandon
Brandon rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Angela Ramsey
Angela Ramsey rated it liked it
May 17, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2011
M Warren
M Warren rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2014
Ira Sukrungruang
Ira Sukrungruang rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2008
Diane Dreher
Diane Dreher rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Liz Matheny
Liz Matheny rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • The Practice of Creative Writing: A Guide for Students
  • Touchstone Anthology of Contemporary Creative Nonfiction: Work from 1970 to the Present
  • Writing Life Stories
  • The Writer's Portable Mentor: A Guide to Art, Craft, and the Writing Life
  • Method and Madness: The Making of a Story (A Guide to Writing Fiction)
  • Quotidiana: Essays
  • Home Ground: Language for an American Landscape
  • Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer
  • The Scene Book: A Primer for the Fiction Writer
  • Writing True: The Art and Craft of Creative Nonfiction
  • The Lost Origins of the Essay
  • June Jordan's Poetry for the People: A Revolutionary Blueprint
  • Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog: The Quirky History and Lost Art of Diagramming Sentences
  • Writing the Life Poetic: An Invitation to Read & Write Poetry
  • Tell It Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction
  • The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
  • Poet's Choice
Dinty W. Moore is the author of numerous books, and has published essays and stories in The Southern Review, The Georgia Review, Harpers, The New York Times Sunday Magazine, Gettysburg Review, Utne Reader, and Crazyhorse. He edits BREVITY, the journal of concise creative nonfiction (www.brevitymag.com) and teaches at Ohio University.
More about Dinty W. Moore...