Start by marking “Cutthroats: The Adventures of a Sherman Tank Driver in the Pacific” as Want to Read:
Cutthroats: The Adventures of a Sherman Tank Driver in the Pacific

Cutthroats: The Adventures of a Sherman Tank Driver in the Pacific

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Soon after we landed it became apparent that there was more than enough artillery here, that the enemy were excellent shots, and that their ammo supply seemed to be endless.

With the Japanese deeply entrenched and determined to die rather than surrender, Robert Dick and his fellow soldiers quickly realized that theirs would be a war fought inch by bloody inch–and that thei
Published December 18th 2007 by Presidio Press (first published April 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Cutthroats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cutthroats

David
If you've ever had an uncle who served in war, who many years later decided to memorialize what happened there, you will likely enjoy this autobiographical book by a guy who served in the Army in the Pacific.. (and I thought all the Pacific theater stuff was done primarily by Marines and John Wayne.. hehe)

Dick's writing style is almost conversational. It is almost as if the reader is sitting in the author's living room having cake and coffee while the reader tells about his experiences.

There ar
Joe Creason
I listened to the audiobook read by Milton Bagby that's 8 hours and 38 minutes long. The last paragraph of this review focuses on that production specifically.

4 stars. A great, if a tad general/folksy, PTO tanker memoir and a great memoir portraying the overall military experience in the Pacific.

Robert Dick was a tank driver in the 763rd Tank Battalion during World War 2. He saw action on Leyte in 1944 and later on Okinawa in 1945 after an extensive experience in the US Army.

There is a lot on Di
John
A jolly good read, my first reaction when looking at the cover was that it would be an exciting war novel. Then I saw the "he fought the war with everything he had" on the cover and I thought "oh great its a pulp war novel designed to make everyone really proud to be American." Then I saw that it was non fiction and this guy really did drive a tank for 4 years and it became interesting again. Nothing like the truth to make a good story. Then I read the book. While not the best written work it wa ...more
Lee
I liked this book a lot. Mr. Dick was just a regular guy telling his story. He is a humble and humorous man. Thank you for your service to our country, Mr. Dick.
Brandon
A quite informative first-person account, both of the US Army right before the war and of the use of tanks in the Philippines and Okinawa. The writing isn't super polished, but also added some charm and made the narrative more personable. Worth the read for WWII buffs, but others may not find appealing.
Ray Pierson
I enjoy oral histories, and this one was pretty good. The author drove a Sherman Tank in the Pacific during WWII. I am quite content reading about his adventures as opposed to sharing them with him.
Jason King
Written in a friendly, personal style, Cutthroats is a fun, quick read but is a little uneven at times. An interesting read to fill in some gaps in WWII Pacific history with personal touches.
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Christopher Stroud
Christopher Stroud is currently reading it
May 17, 2015
Danny Croucher
Danny Croucher is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2015
Dan
Dan added it
Jan 03, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Laney
Laney marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Henrik Hansen
Henrik Hansen is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2014
David
David added it
Apr 15, 2014
The Other Flute: A Performance Manual Of Contemporary Techniques Auto Racing Comes of Age Annals of Colinsburgh; With Notes on Church Life in Kilconquhar Parish Auto Racing Comes of Age: A Transatlantic View of the Cars, Drivers and Speedways, 1900-1925 Mercedes and Auto Racing in the Belle Epoque, 1895-1915