Chain of Fools (Donald Strachey, #6)

Chain of Fools (Donald Strachey #6)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Private Investigator Donald Strachey is asked to look into the events surrounding the months-old murder of Eric Osborne. His death, originally believed to be a random attack, takes on new significance when Janet Osborne, Eric's sister, survives an attempt on her life. Skeeter, Eric's lover, believed both attacks were meant to silence them before the sale of their family's...more
Published October 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1996)

Richard
Karen
Donald Strachey #6. Some great lines and witty dialogue as usual, but things are taken very lightly for all the murder and mayhem described. Strachey seems more cynical than usual. I suppose that was fitting for the times. The epilogue regarding the newspaper is redundant. Maybe not so much when this was written, but certainly in light of how things have gone since then.
Jane
Mar 22, 2009 Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jane by: fandom osmosis
Well, I wouldn't describe Chain of Fools as an atypical Donald Strachey mystery, but it is an atypical mystery novel, I think, with the standard intra-family assassination plot. Still, it beats Strachey's Folly in plot and as addictive to read as the others.
The other Sandy
Lori
A newspaper on the brink of extinction and a family at war with itself. Don Strachey's got his hands full, but when Timmy Callahan gets caught in the cross fire, he's not a happy man.

In the end I enjoyed this story, but it felt a bit thin and a rare thing for me, I actually sussed out the culprit at about the same time Don did.
Bill
This was my first Donald Strachey mystery story. I have seen one of the movies made for here! TV, don't remember which one.

I found it to be a good page turner. A nice quick summer read, not too heavy and not too light, but just right!

I'll be reading more Strachey books in the future that's for sure.
Graham Crawford
a good solid detective story with a non- stereotyped gay twist. i got into these books via the movies - which are pleasant but a bit twee, and was happy to discover that the original books are quite a bit smarter, sharper, and more political.
Writerlibrarian
An intricate plot involving a very dysfunctional family. Timmy getting hurt and Donald following one strange leads after another. Not the strongest book of the series but still very enjoyable if only for the banter between Timmy and Dale.
Joe Scholes
Dec 18, 2010 Joe Scholes rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Greg Rowland, Mark Stout
This was a quick read. The story was OK, but I really liked the characters. Stevenson's sense of humor comes through really well, and he had me laughing out loud in several places.
Gilliam
Too much cutting corners with exposition and filling in the cracks with ineffectual melodrama surrounding Timothy's past really saps the life out of what's left of the narrative.
Chris
Good gay mystery in which Done investigates what may be one part of a family turning against another over selling the family's award-winning newspaper to pay off debts.
Josh
Probably my least favorite of the Strachey novels. This one feels a little detached and impersonal, although it's still well-written and entertaining.
Montana
The new MLR Press editions, at least the ebook versions, have a disappointing number of typographical problems, both minor and major.
Steven Kruger
Not his best--but still not bad.
Keith A.
Keith A. marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Joel Fleur
Joel Fleur marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Vivianne
Vivianne marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Tex Reader
Tex Reader marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Flight of Aquavit (A Russell Quant Mystery, #2)
  • Troublemaker (Dave Brandstetter, #3)
  • Mahu Surfer (Mahu #2)
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • The Little Death
  • The Butcher's Son (A Dick Hardesty Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Slumber (Deadly Mystery, #4)
  • The Secret Tunnel  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #2)
  • The Art of Dying (Partners in Crime, #4)
  • Primal Red (Bellingham Mysteries, #1)
  • The Little Death
  • Boystown: Three Nick Nowak Mysteries

Richard Stevenson is the pseudonym of Richard Lipez, the author of nine books, including the Don Strachey private eye series. The Strachey books are being filmed by here!, the first gay television network. Lipez also co-wrote Grand Scam with Peter Stein, and contributed to C...more
More about Richard Stevenson...
Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1) On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2) Ice Blues (Donald Strachey, #3) Third Man Out (Donald Strachey, #4) Shock to the System (Donald Strachey, #5)