Start by marking “Chain of Fools (Donald Strachey, #6)” as Want to Read:
Chain of Fools (Donald Strachey, #6)

Chain of Fools (Donald Strachey #6)

Private Investigator Donald Strachey is asked to look into the events surrounding the months-old murder of Eric Osborne. His death, originally believed to be a random attack, takes on new significance when Janet Osborne, Eric's sister, survives an attempt on her life. Skeeter, Eric's lover, believed both attacks were meant to silence them before the sale of their family's ...more
Published October 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Chain of Fools, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chain of Fools

Lena♥Ribka

3,5 stars.

It's probably the weakest installment in the Don Strachey's Mystery IMO. Not only because I found the case less interesting than usually-
A distinguished New York State family whose members apparently were trying to kill one another off for reasons of ideology and/or cash.

-but mostly because I didn't feel Don's presence the way I got used to feel it in the previous installments: Dan's first person POV could be a third person POV-I wouldn't have noticed any different.
B
Feb 24, 2017 B rated it really liked it
I JUST LOVE TIMMY SO MUCH
Neet
May 14, 2015 Neet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this 6th in the Don Strachey mysteries we find our intrepid PI investigating who killed Eric Osborne and now attempting to kill various members of his family.Tim gets a call from an ex high school lover who wants Don to investigate.Unfortunately,Skeeter (as he was called during that long ago time) has been hospitalized,and talking incoherently about good chains,bad chains,daisy chains, and chains of fools and about his love of Tim and anger at the way Tim left him.Thankfully,Eric's sister Jan ...more
Bill
Aug 29, 2012 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, gay
This was my first Donald Strachey mystery story. I have seen one of the movies made for here! TV, don't remember which one.

I found it to be a good page turner. A nice quick summer read, not too heavy and not too light, but just right!

I'll be reading more Strachey books in the future that's for sure.
Karen
Donald Strachey #6. Some great lines and witty dialogue as usual, but things are taken very lightly for all the murder and mayhem described. Strachey seems more cynical than usual. I suppose that was fitting for the times. The epilogue regarding the newspaper is redundant. Maybe not so much when this was written, but certainly in light of how things have gone since then.
Lori S.
A newspaper on the brink of extinction and a family at war with itself. Don Strachey's got his hands full, but when Timmy Callahan gets caught in the cross fire, he's not a happy man.

In the end I enjoyed this story, but it felt a bit thin and a rare thing for me, I actually sussed out the culprit at about the same time Don did.
Paul
Aug 23, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
Okay, I liked the story and the characters, set up and ending, but the epilogue - one part weird (and maybe a little jump of the shark) and the last paragraph, wrapping up a secondary storyline, was just way too sad for me. Such an odd way to end the book... Onward I go.
Graham Crawford
Jun 12, 2012 Graham Crawford rated it liked it
a good solid detective story with a non- stereotyped gay twist. i got into these books via the movies - which are pleasant but a bit twee, and was happy to discover that the original books are quite a bit smarter, sharper, and more political.
Josh
Jan 30, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
Probably my least favorite of the Strachey novels. This one feels a little detached and impersonal, although it's still well-written and entertaining.
Chris
Dec 26, 2010 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, done, mystery, ebook, 2012
Good gay mystery in which Done investigates what may be one part of a family turning against another over selling the family's award-winning newspaper to pay off debts.
Gilliam
Nov 30, 2013 Gilliam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Too much cutting corners with exposition and filling in the cracks with ineffectual melodrama surrounding Timothy's past really saps the life out of what's left of the narrative.
Joe Scholes
Oct 18, 2010 Joe Scholes rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Greg Rowland, Mark Stout
This was a quick read. The story was OK, but I really liked the characters. Stevenson's sense of humor comes through really well, and he had me laughing out loud in several places.
Steven Kruger
Aug 18, 2009 Steven Kruger rated it liked it
Not his best--but still not bad.
Montana
Jun 13, 2009 Montana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, mystery, i-own
The new MLR Press editions, at least the ebook versions, have a disappointing number of typographical problems, both minor and major.
Richard
Apr 03, 2013 Richard rated it liked it
Molli B.
This one took a while just because it was my treadmill book and I kept interrupting it to read other things I started off the treadmill and watch three or four TV-show seasons, not because it didn't hold my attention.

Don gets this case because of Timmy's old high school boyfrand, Skeeter. I love how both Stevenson and Joseph Hansen make their mysteries LGBT-related, but in this one, the central mystery itself was actually just a family drama that could have happened to any family (well, any fami
Jane
Mar 22, 2009 Jane rated it liked it
Recommended to Jane by: fandom osmosis
Well, I wouldn't describe Chain of Fools as an atypical Donald Strachey mystery, but it is an atypical mystery novel, I think, with the standard intra-family assassination plot. Still, it beats Strachey's Folly in plot and as addictive to read as the others.
Antonella
((Read in 2009, reread for a challenge in January 2016))
4.5
A good mystery, some little annoying things I didn't find in the other books of the series: for ex. Dale treating Tim rudely the whole time instead of clearing her grudge against him, the slower pace. Still, it's Richard Stevenson, that is it is well written and entertaining.
I'm glad that finally Don meets a non homophobic policeman ;-).
The other Sandy
Writerlibrarian
An intricate plot involving a very dysfunctional family. Timmy getting hurt and Donald following one strange leads after another. Not the strongest book of the series but still very enjoyable if only for the banter between Timmy and Dale.
Mike
Dec 06, 2016 Mike rated it liked it
There were two brothers in it named Tidy and Tacker Puderbaugh, so it was practically like reading a Harry Potter book.
George
Jan 10, 2015 George rated it liked it
A little slower paced than I'm used to with this series but still worth reading.
JSidelinger
JSidelinger rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2012
Kia
Kia rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Jeff Geoberti
Jeff Geoberti rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2013
Teal
Teal rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Jocheung
Jocheung rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2013
Gabriella Nánási
Gabriella Nánási rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Troublemaker (Dave Brandstetter, #3)
  • Mahu Surfer (Mahu #2)
  • Little Boy Dead (Boystown #0.5)
  • Howtown (Henry Rios Mystery, #3)
  • Flight of Aquavit (A Russell Quant Mystery, #2)
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • Deadly Slumber (Deadly Mystery, #4)
  • The Art of Dying (Partners in Crime #4)
  • The Secret Tunnel  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #2)
  • Flight Dreams (Mark Manning Mystery, #1)

Richard Stevenson is the pseudonym of Richard Lipez, the author of nine books, including the Don Strachey private eye series. The Strachey books are being filmed by here!, the first gay television network. Lipez also co-wrote Grand Scam with Peter Stein, and contributed to C
More about Richard Stevenson...

Donald Strachey (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1)
  • On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2)
  • Ice Blues (Donald Strachey, #3)
  • Third Man Out (Donald Strachey, #4)
  • Shock to the System (Donald Strachey, #5)
  • Strachey's Folly (Donald Strachey, #7)
  • Tongue Tied (Donald Strachey, #8)
  • Death Vows (Donald Strachey, #9)
  • The 38 Million Dollar Smile (Donald Strachey, #10)
  • Cockeyed (Donald Strachey, #11)