Start by marking “Field Guide to Monsters, A: Googly-Eyed Wart Floppers, Shadow-Casters, Toe-Eaters, and Other Creatures” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Insights into the lives of house and garden monsters-- from World-Famous Monstrologist Johan Olander.
Published October 1st 2010 by Two Lions (first published August 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Field Guide to Monsters, A, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Field Guide to Monsters, A

Sarah Sammis
My son is a young monstrologist. He's been tracking them, describing them, mapping their habitats and illustrating them for the last two or three years. So when I saw A Field Guide to Monsters by Johan Olander in our public library I had to check it out for him.

The Field Guide is 64 pages of monster sightings, beautifully illustrated. Each of the monsters featured has its common name, scientific name, habitat (if known), diet (if known) and a basic description of what it does and if it is danger
Greg
A first-reads winner

This book is intended for 8 - 12 year olds and boys in that age group would love it but this "older" guy also found it entertaining. It really takes a tongue-in-cheek look at the world and the monsters that surround us. The format fits well with the "field guide" theme and does a great job of describing these monsters that Olander has discovered and recorded. Some are very realistic and could seem to be actual monsters that inhabit the world of the normal pre-teen.

The illustr
Jessica at Book Sake
Jessica’s Review: This guide is a creative encyclopedia of monsters that you never knew existed, but secretly believed in. The creatures presented within the pages are only limited by Olander’s imagination and it seems that his is very far reaching. I liked the format of the guide and the artwork that adorns each page. Journal clippings, sketches, children’s drawings, and first hand accounts of the different monster add to the basic information of each one. The children that enjoy their creature ...more
Blyden
Compendium of fanciful monsters. Most of the descriptions have a least a little wit by which the monster may be seen as commentary on some aspect of the way we live. Somewhat fun, though one reaches a point where begins to feel the idea has been belabored.
Trevor
Definitely fun and provides explanations as to what causes the bumps in the rugs or what happens to abandoned stuffed animals. Young fans of bestiaries will probably enjoy this lighter look at the creepy-crawlies hiding behind doors or in garbage cans.
Peter
My 9-year old son loves this book.
Rachel
This is a fantastical jaunt through the creepy crawly imagination of expert Monsterologist, Johan Olander. While this book was a bit too "scary" for my 5,3, and 2 year old nieces, I am positive that within a year or two they won't be able to put it down. The illustrations are beautiful and the layout is easy to follow. It catalogs some very interesting monsters and gives the reader great tips on how to avoid them! This book reminded me of the old wildlife catalog cards that kids could send away ...more
Uriah
Won as a first-reads copy! This is an imaginative and fun book. Since we got it, my daughter has been fascinated by the insights into the monster world. She has drawn them and talked about them. I think this book will be a favorite for my family. The text is well written and will be interesting for many age levels. The illustrations are beautifully rendered and add a lot of depth to the observations.
I think this is a detailed account of fictional monster portrayed as real monsters. I enjoyed all the drawings and sketches, the side notes and comments. I wouldn't suggest this book for young children because some of the creatures eat people and that may be traumatic for some children. I was surprised that my son wasn't scared of these creatures.
Jennifer Miera
This one both fascinated and scared the pooey out of my 4-year-old. He's been sleeping in my bed for the last two nights because of the "Bed Wolf" mentioned in the book. Thanks Mr. Olander! Perhaps my son can keep you awake at night as payback.
Lizzie
While not nonfiction, I would argue this book is a fun way to illustrate and teach concepts of informational texts which are a big part of Common Core.
Tina
Tina added it
Jan 21, 2015
Andrea Platt
Andrea Platt marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Sheila A. Quinn
Sheila A. Quinn marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Mikey
Mikey marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Josh
Josh added it
Nov 17, 2014
arize au
arize au marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Jessica Mcbee
Jessica Mcbee marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Marney
Marney marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Eric
Eric added it
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
My Robots: The Robotic Genius of Lady Regina Bonquers III Field Guide to Aliens, A: Intergalactic Worrywarts, Bubblonauts, Sliver-Slurpers, and Other Extraterrestria A Field Guide to Aliens: Intergalactic Worrywarts, Bubblonauts, Silver-Slurpers, and other Extra Terestrials Resa till New York An Eyeball in My Garden and Other Spine-Tingling Poems