Start by marking “A Field Guide to Monsters: Googly-Eyed Wart Floppers, Shadow-Casters, Toe-Eaters, and Other Creatures” as Want to Read:

Insights into the lives of house and garden monsters-- from World-Famous Monstrologist Johan Olander.
Published October 1st 2010 by Two Lions (first published August 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Field Guide to Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Field Guide to Monsters

Sarah Sammis
Jul 09, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son is a young monstrologist. He's been tracking them, describing them, mapping their habitats and illustrating them for the last two or three years. So when I saw A Field Guide to Monsters by Johan Olander in our public library I had to check it out for him.

The Field Guide is 64 pages of monster sightings, beautifully illustrated. Each of the monsters featured has its common name, scientific name, habitat (if known), diet (if known) and a basic description of what it does and if it is danger
Jessica at Book Sake
Oct 04, 2010 Jessica at Book Sake rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Jessica’s Review: This guide is a creative encyclopedia of monsters that you never knew existed, but secretly believed in. The creatures presented within the pages are only limited by Olander’s imagination and it seems that his is very far reaching. I liked the format of the guide and the artwork that adorns each page. Journal clippings, sketches, children’s drawings, and first hand accounts of the different monster add to the basic information of each one. The children that enjoy their creature ...more
Greg
Aug 31, 2010 Greg rated it really liked it
A first-reads winner

This book is intended for 8 - 12 year olds and boys in that age group would love it but this "older" guy also found it entertaining. It really takes a tongue-in-cheek look at the world and the monsters that surround us. The format fits well with the "field guide" theme and does a great job of describing these monsters that Olander has discovered and recorded. Some are very realistic and could seem to be actual monsters that inhabit the world of the normal pre-teen.

The illustr
Trevor
Mar 12, 2008 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid_lit
Definitely fun and provides explanations as to what causes the bumps in the rugs or what happens to abandoned stuffed animals. Young fans of bestiaries will probably enjoy this lighter look at the creepy-crawlies hiding behind doors or in garbage cans.
Blyden
Feb 27, 2010 Blyden rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compendium of fanciful monsters. Most of the descriptions have a least a little wit by which the monster may be seen as commentary on some aspect of the way we live. Somewhat fun, though one reaches a point where begins to feel the idea has been belabored.
Peter
Apr 05, 2009 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 9-year old son loves this book.
Rachel
Sep 01, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastical jaunt through the creepy crawly imagination of expert Monsterologist, Johan Olander. While this book was a bit too "scary" for my 5,3, and 2 year old nieces, I am positive that within a year or two they won't be able to put it down. The illustrations are beautiful and the layout is easy to follow. It catalogs some very interesting monsters and gives the reader great tips on how to avoid them! This book reminded me of the old wildlife catalog cards that kids could send away ...more
Uriah
Aug 31, 2010 Uriah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Won as a first-reads copy! This is an imaginative and fun book. Since we got it, my daughter has been fascinated by the insights into the monster world. She has drawn them and talked about them. I think this book will be a favorite for my family. The text is well written and will be interesting for many age levels. The illustrations are beautifully rendered and add a lot of depth to the observations.
I think this is a detailed account of fictional monster portrayed as real monsters. I enjoyed all the drawings and sketches, the side notes and comments. I wouldn't suggest this book for young children because some of the creatures eat people and that may be traumatic for some children. I was surprised that my son wasn't scared of these creatures.
Annette Keith
Nov 15, 2016 Annette Keith rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Miera
Jul 18, 2012 Jennifer Miera rated it liked it
This one both fascinated and scared the pooey out of my 4-year-old. He's been sleeping in my bed for the last two nights because of the "Bed Wolf" mentioned in the book. Thanks Mr. Olander! Perhaps my son can keep you awake at night as payback.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Asher (7yo) read. "I would give it only four stars because it was a little scary. A few of the monsters (like Brute) were scary. I liked how it also tells you about monsters that are nice to you, like the Common Hairy Beast."

The pictures are very good."
Lizzie
While not nonfiction, I would argue this book is a fun way to illustrate and teach concepts of informational texts which are a big part of Common Core.
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
Lyth Marie
Lyth Marie rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2010
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Angela Kelman
Angela Kelman rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Duane
Duane rated it did not like it
Jan 04, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014
Sarah Denton
Sarah Denton rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2010
Carter Gallati
Carter Gallati rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2015
Amanda Michelle Ault
Amanda Michelle Ault rated it did not like it
Feb 10, 2015
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
May 24, 2013
Richard Greaves
Richard Greaves rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2016
Miranda Althouse
Miranda Althouse rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2013
Wade Matveyenko
Wade Matveyenko rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2014
D
D rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2013