Dark Flame (The Immortals, #4)

Dark Flame (The Immortals #4)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  39,525 ratings  ·  1,583 reviews

In Alyson Noel’s most darkly seductive Immortals novel yet, Ever fights for control of her body, her soul—and the timeless true love she’s been chasing for centuries.

Ever is trying to help Haven transition into life as an immortal. But with Haven drunk on her new powers and acting recklessly, she poses the ultimate threat—exposing their secret world to the outside. As Eve

Published 2010 by Macmillan (first published January 1st 11)

S
How stupid.
Hm, okay, that isn't necessarily the best way to start a review with those two words, 'how stupid'. But in truth, that's quite EXACTLY what I feel and think when Dark Flame by Alyson Noel comes to mind.

First thing's first - I absolutely LOVED the first installment to the Immortals series, Evermore. It was, by far, one of my most adored books of all time.
That is, until Blue Moon came out.
Alyson Noel totally twisted her own story. It's like she's trying to purposefully create a poorly-w...more
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

This is what I think about you, Ever Bloom:

(view spoiler)...more
Bianca
I finished this book in a few hours eager to see if Ever gets the antidote or not.. I reached the end of the book and I have to say I liked it but I'm dissapointed. 2 whole books now on how Damen and Ever can't "Touch" each other and they still don't have a cure. The book seemed to drag on forever, I just wanted her to hurry up and get the antidote already. The ending doesn't really sit with me very well, Roman dying or 'going to the Shadowland' is messed up, in my opinion. He was a cool charact...more
Merary
Before I start shamelessly ripping this book apart, I want to say that Dark Flame was SLIGHTLY better than Shadowland, and I really mean slightly.

Ever, once again, does stupid things. First, she accidentally bounds herself with his enemy, Roman. What it means by that is that, she can't stop thinking about fucking his brains off. And then, she made Haven an immortal. Damn you, Ever Bloom. WHY ARE YOU FREAKING STUPID?!!

Yeah, seriously?

And from beginning to end Ever keeps doing impulsive stupiditi...more
Heather
I got to wonder if anyone who rated this book 4 or 5 stars actually read it? This book is so bad that I am done with this series.

When I started this series with the first book, I had high hopes. By the time I finished the third book, I felt like hitting my head against the wall over Ever's stupid annoying mistakes. I had hoped to find some resolution in this book, but we get nowhere.

Haven is an immature brat throughout this book and is grating. Ever couldn't do anything right to save her life....more
Samantha Souza
OH MY GAWD!!! Where do I start???
How about EVER! What in the hell is her deal. How are the mistakes that she's been making even realistic? Anyone with half of a brain would make better choices than her? She deliberately ignores Damen's advice time and time again, and he again and again shows his forgiveness. What the hell kind of relationship are they in? You would think that Damen would get tired of her screwing up his life after three freakin books. I think that Alyson needs to get her charac...more
John Egbert
Alyssa
Erika
I gave it three stars because I have made it this far through the series, and I do wish it would end well. I don't see how it can, though. Mainly because I see nothing likable about Damon. Sure he is pretty, but so what? He is like an old man hitting on a 16-year-old here, and I think he just wants to add her to his conquests. If he had nailed her when they first met, he would be so over her like he got over his wife, Drina. I kind of get her anger at having to watch her husband entrap a 16 yea...more
Lindsey
Alyson, Alyson...
You have taken a wonderful creation 'Evermore', which is truly captivating...and ruin it by making it a sequal. I was so excited to read 'Blue Moon' but once i had - i wished i hadnt. Nevertheless, i stood tall and hoped you would redeem the story and characters in 'Shadowland' But Gosh was i wrong... Compared to shadowland, Blue Moon was Okay. I was extremly dissapointed. However, Im one to finish what I'v started and went ahead and red Dark Flame, recluctently...

You have turne...more
Jackie
Im only reading this because I want to see if Ever gets any sense.

Looking back on the rest of the series. I'm sad to say this was the best one since EVERMORE (which I loved!!!) Until Noel lost all her writing skills and went on with the rest of series. Immortals has just become an obligation to me now. I'm not gonna say how Haven became a total bitch and Ever became more stupid and how Damen became more oblivious with each turning page and don't even get me started on Jude. If you read the rest...more
Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom)
Overall, this installment was just okay for me, once again. While I found it a tiny bit of an improvement from Shadowland... it still missed the mark for being a really GOOD sequel. I'll warn you that there will be a few general spoilers in my review as it's hard to discuss without them in this case.

The saving grace for this series is that Ever finally has an epiphany (with the help of Ava, Damen and Jude) in the last third of the book. From that point on... the story got a bit better for me. Ev...more
Deanna
Having a hard time getting through this one...it seems to drag a bit and I really enjoyed the first three of the series. This one just seems a little slow and repetitive.
Ever, Ever, Ever.

How stupid are you now?

It just makes me sad that you'd allow yourself to fail when you get close.

And oh god, ANOTHER love triangle?

Shoot me.
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
Words can't express how much I kinda not like this forth installment of The Immorals. Seriously. I mean It wasn't too bad, just not good.
I think its what the author what us to fill after reading this.
Yah she got that.

I absolutely LOVED the first installment to the Immortals series, Evermore. I give it 5 stars and the second (Blue Moon) I give it 4 stars and third (Shadowland) I give it 3 stars, ok so what am i suppose to give this? 2 stars? haha seriously, this series is getting worst.

But there...more
Dakota
Chandra
Well, ladies and gentlemen, it's been about six months since I read Shadowland, giving me just enough time to forget how much this series melts my brain and prompting me to go check Dark Flame out from the library.
As I've read this series, it's seemed as though the books have improved very slightly as the series progresses. I think Dark Flame might break this trend, though.
I still think our protagonist and narrator has become slightly less of a bi-polar sloppy mess, but that doesn't change the f...more
Brenda
Apr 07, 2010 Brenda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I really hope it'd be better.

Well the first book was awesome, I was all hung over Ever and Damon, until i read the next 2 books. I'm getting disappointed. When the 2nd book came out it went all downhill. Then the 3rd and I completely lost interest, but I seriously hope that Ever would be a little smarter and has a mind to think before she acts. Hope the 4th book would redeams its former glory.
Justine
To be honest, though I loved the first novel in Noel's series, Evermore, Dark Flame was a disappointment.

To begin with, I started this series with full excitement; the first novel was fantastic, maybe also the second book as well, but from then on the series went into a downwards spiral.

Dark Flame, to start, really had no plot advancements at all. From the beginning to end of the novel, the story seems to have no major changes in really anything. You might as well skip this book and won't even...more
Booknut
So there's a lair:

Inhabited by Roman, the evil, gorgeous DO NOT GO NEAR HIM UNLESS YOU HAVE A TASER, guy:

But you have a loving, immortal and clingy boyfriend:

Who EXPLICITLY told you NOT to go to the evil lair to get the antidote.
He told you you'd find a way around this situation.
Together.
...
But you can't hear him CAN you?

[image error]

So you get up and walk RIGHT INTO THE EVIL LAIR like the idiot you are:

Congratulations. You totally met my expectations.
Katelyn
I've been having a love/hate relationship with the Immortals series for a while now. The first installment, Evermore has by far been my favorite and is what has kept me reading the series. With that being said, this was not a opinion changer for me, not a favorite to be sure.

Readers will see the characters and plot going in more of the same direction in Dark Flame. Ever is still trying to find the antidote and in order to do that she needs help. Her relationships with the other characters drove...more
Thomas
I remember when I read Evermore and loved it. Ignoring all the criticism and Twilight comparisons, I absolutely adored the first book in the Immortals series. Now, with book four, I am struggling to remember what got me so hooked onto to the series in the first place.

The characters were just so, so off in this book. Haven was "fuggin" annoying, Ever made the stupidest decisions, Miles wasn't even present 95% of the time, and Damen disappeared into the background. The only character I felt a nugg...more
Read my full review.

Bottom Line - This story is convoluted and I have NO idea how Alyson will "wrap" things up, I hear there's 6 books slated, and I PRAY that we start to get a conclusion in the next book, because while things are moving in a nice direction, especially where Ever is concerned, there's 10,000 questions still asked, still needing answers for it all to make sense and come full circle.

What started as a series I was DIEING to see what happened in, it has turned out to be a series I...more
Tori
Ok, I'm seriously done with this shit. Really. This series started GREAT! I loved it, but it all went downhill. Fast. I don't have time for this soul-mate, dramatic 'Fug', 'hel-lo', 'OMG', shit. And then we turn around and have a bunch of teenagers with special powers fucking up and apologizing and being forgiven when they really deserve to be smacked. ARGH, It's like House of Night all over again!

And I get why Damen has such a large vocabulary, he's a million years old, but what the fuck? Ever...more
Lynn Spinks
Michelle. D.
Eileen
Unfortunately "Dark Flame" didn't live up to my expectations, it's simply an extension of 'Shadowland', more of the same. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this sequel, but I can't say I love it either.
I kept on reading, because I was anxious to know how Ever was going to get the antidote for Damen. Damen takes her on original dates, I love Versailles and I actually liked the ending. It makes me wonder what they are going to do now?!

In this installment Ever experiences the results of a bounding...more
Julie
Oh My gosh--she is just still as annoying and where is the aunt ?? gotta love that she ran to summerland to escpae her problems..
full review to com..

Let me start off by saying I have read the 1st book only, and not Blue Moon or Summerland. But I jumped at the chance to see whats has been up with Ever and the Gang.

Ever and Damon are soul mates..but you wouldn't know it by her actions through out the book. She runs to Roman because she is obsessively attracted to him and Jude to have him her with...more
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Oh Ever, I sympathize for you. Ever has been trying to get away from Roman powers. Instead, she ended up binding herself to him. She knew she was in trouble. She was afraid to go to Damen thinking he would be upset, if he knew what she got herself into. Poor Damen. He really is trying to help her, but Ever keeps shutting him out. Ever, feeling embarrassed and scared goes to Jude. Since he is the only one who knows her secret and can help, he is there for her. Ever and Jude's past does not help t...more
Georgina
I began reading the Immortals series while on a Twilight high but now, as with Twilight, I'm getting over it. This installment, in particular, left me feeling a little empty.

The concept is interesting - Two loves (Damen and Ever) continually separated from one another over several past lives, hoping to finally make it work in this one. Then the introduction of Jude (Blue Moon - book 2, I think), revealing that it has actually been a love triangle over these past lives, is a great addition.

Howeve...more
  • Bloody Valentine (Blue Bloods, #5.5)
  • Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn (Thirst, #3)
  • Afterlife (Evernight, #4)
  • Love Bites (Vampire Kisses, #7)
  • Betrayal  (Immortal #2)
  • Sweep: Volume 4 (Sweep, #10-12)
  • Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9)
  • The Hidden (The Hollow, #3)
  • Burned (House of Night, #7)
  • Evercrossed (Kissed by an Angel, #4)
  • Shadow Souls (The Vampire Diaries: The Return, #2)
  • Wisdom (My Blood Approves, #4)
  • Passion (Fallen, #3)
  • Hades (Halo, #2)
200317
*Note to readers: I'm slowly trying to add to the long list of books I have read, books I am reading, books I want to read, and books I loved reading. I only add books I loved, hence all my ratings are 5 stars!

Alyson Noël is the #1 New York Times best selling, award-winning, author of 21 novels, including: FAKING 19, ART GEEKS AND PROM QUEENS, LAGUNA COVE, FLY ME TO THE MOON, KISS & BLOG, SAVI...more
More about Alyson Noel...
Evermore (The Immortals, #1) Blue Moon (The Immortals, #2) Shadowland (The Immortals, #3) Night Star (The Immortals, #5) Everlasting (The Immortals, #6)

“Life is still life. It’s still tough, complicated, and more than a little messy, with lessons to be learned, mistakes to be made, triumphs and disappointments to be had, and not every day is meant to be a party.” 215 likes
“My feelings for you are not conditional. I don't judge you. I don't lose patience with you. I don't punish you. I just love you. That's all. Pure and simple.” 179 likes