Start by marking “In the Master's Bed” as Want to Read:
In the Master's Bed

In the Master's Bed

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  20 reviews

When Duncan accidentally discovers her true identity he knows he should send her away--but he agrees to keep her secret For Jane brings light into
Published September 1st 2009 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about In the Master's Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Master's Bed

Jeannie Lin
This book was a rich and fascinating rendering of university culture. I totally became immersed in it. The characters were three dimensional and believably rendered - especially considering that the heroine has to pull off the disguised as a man trope and the hero is an academic, unusual for historical romance!

The romance was deeply emotional and sensual. I loved where this book went and extra kudos for the unique academic setting and depiction of city life.
Melissa
Among The Muses
Rated 3.5 on the blog.

The cover and the blurb really depicted something different in my mind before I started delving into this interesting read.

I really have no other word to describe it other than interesting. Maybe unique? Even a little odd? This doesn't have a true typical trope that defines it, but rather loosely pulls on others, keeping the plot line and characters just shy of typical.

For one, the heroine is described as a 'tom boy', loathing dresses and the compartmentalization of a women
Cristina Contilli
"L'indomani Jane allattò i figli attaccandoli ognuno ad un seno mentre Duncan, accanto al letto, strimpellava con la cetra accomodata. Lo strumento, al pari di lui, era stato maltrattato, ma poteva ancora essere utile..."

Duncan non riusciva più a pizzicare le corde, ma con pazienza otteneva qualche accordo per canzoni che Jeanne riconosceva e che intonavano insieme:

Corichiamoci insieme
Lascia che io ti possieda per sempre.
Amiamoci l'un l'altro
sino a quando ci rimarrà fiato.

Un rosa medievale
Lizbeth Selvig
I really enjoyed this book, the first of Blythe Gifford's that I've read. I liked that there was so much thoughtfulness in this story--it wasn't just a silly girl-dresses-like-boy-to-get-her-man book. Jane has truly got to face some inner demons to get comfortable with herself. She learns to fight for what she wants and needs and she learns well what true love is. Besides all that, it's just a fun read!
Dancing Queen
1.5/5

C'est mon deuxième essais avec un bouquin de cette auteure et elle me convainc toujours pas. Elle en est même très loin...

Je me suis ennuyée en lisant ce livre. L'histoire est à peine crédible, la romance est surfaite, les scènes de sexes lamentables de retenus et les propos misogyne, même si ils sont soit disant "d'époque", restent franchement choquants. N'oublions pas non plus que l'héroïne n'a que 17 ans...

Et que dire de cette fin des plus conventionnelles ? A quoi bon nous vendre une hé
How come this rating scale doesn't go below 1? I could not get into the Medieval times setting and the fact that the heroine/romantic interest was under 18 was a HUGE problem.
Marina Andreou
Απο τα πιο ωραια κλασσικα που κυκλοφορουν!!!Παρα πολυ καλο ηταν..Η ιστορια ειναι οτι η Τζειν μια κοπελα μεταφιεζεται σε αγορι για να ξεφυγει απο το σπιτη της και στο δρομο η καλυτερα να πουμε εκει που παει να σπουδασει συναντα τον Ντανκαν.Εχει πολυ ωραιες αισθησιακες σκηνες...που την στιγμη που ο Ντανκαν καταλαμβαινει οτι το αγορι που πηρε υπο την προστασια του ειναι κοριτσι.Ακομα το τελος ειναι ολα τα λεφτα.Δηλαδη δεν σε ταλαιπωρα καθολου...εχει και χιουμορ μεσα..που προσπαθουν και οι δυο να μη ...more
Karla
The characters are well-drawn, and Jane's secret isn't revealed right away. In the meantime, the reader is given a descriptive & involving portrait of medieval scholarly life, with the conditions that Jane has to contend with. Her cross-dressing isn't a ploy, but part of who she is, and Duncan's confusion & anger over the deception is paired with grudging admiration that women aren't the one-dimensional creatures he's been instructed to believe by Very Serious Men. Surrounding the romanc ...more
Izandra Mascarenhas
Um livro fofo, gostoso de ler, mas que peca na descrição histórica. Se o leitor não se incomodar com isso, pode ser uma excelente leitura para passar o tempo :)
Harlequin Historical
Medieval

excellent read! To live the life of independence she craves, Jane de Weston disguises herself as a young man. She doesn't foresee her attraction to Duncan, who stirs unknown but delightful sensations in her highly receptive, very feminine body.

When Duncan accidentally discovers her true identity he knows he should send her away—but he agrees to keep her secret! For Jane brings light into the dark corners of his heart, and Duncan fully intends to teach his willing pupil the exquisite plea
Sarah Anderson
As always, Blythe delivers! This book is no where near the level of cheese the cover and tag line ("He would teach her the art of sensuality!") implies. Instead, this is a deeply satisfying read into the politics--gender and otherwise--of medieval England through the eyes of a woman who doesn't want to be treated like property. Gifford doesn't gloss over the realities of the time, but manages to make her people live and breath.
Carolina
The book has historical depth and a view of what it felt like to be a woman and a man in that time. It raises some questions that are things that we still think about in the present. The characters are well formed and it is generally a solid book. The only thing i can say is it was missing a little more wow factor in the plot department.
Cozen
Eh... It was all right. I did not feel really any connection to the two lead characters for a long time and that did not happen until they finally did the dead. I think the ending was wered or somewhat off. It read well and the flow was good. I just don't see me giving this story a second time around.
Dinna Ken
One of the first books that got me back to reading.. it was capturing and I loved every word of it :) I can't believe that I haven't added this before!
Lavanya
i am not too taken by this book .. the whole John Jane is too confusing .. What she wants and where she ends up ...I guess best left as a period romance
Loretta
Quick read. Charming and stubborn characters. Impressions and preconceived notions are often wrong and strength can come in adversity.
Jp
Enjoyed listening to this one. Loved the university setting for the story and the determination of both characters.
ibNell
Jane got a little annoying at times(it's all about me - spoiled attitude), but besides that I enjoyed the book.
Samantha
Audiobook

Enjoyed this one quite a bit.

Narrator was great., Gabrielle Glaister
Kathryn Prine
Kathryn Prine marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Mary Larsen
Mary Larsen marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Andrys
Andrys marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Hina
Hina marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • The Maid of Lorne (Harlequin Historical, #786)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • The Viking's Captive Princess
  • The Border Lord
  • The Accidental Princess (Accidental, #3)
  • The Disgraceful Mr. Ravenhurst
  • Lord Greville's Captive
  • The Rake's Inherited Courtesan
  • Chosen for the Marriage Bed
  • Reynold de Burgh: The Dark Knight (de Burgh, #6)
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • The Lawman's Bride
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • His Cavalry Lady (Harlequin Historical, #936)
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
After many years in public relations, advertising, and marketing, Blythe Gifford started writing seriously after a corporate layoff. Ten years and one layoff later, she became an overnight success when she sold her Romance Writers of America Golden Heart finalist manuscript to Harlequin.
She has since written medieval romances featuring characters born on the wrong side of the royal blanket. Now,
More about Blythe Gifford...
The Harlot's Daughter His Border Bride Captive of the Border Lord Return of the Border Warrior Taken by the Border Rebel (Brunson Clan Trilogy #3)