Start by marking “Spilled Water” as Want to Read:
Spilled Water
Preview

Spilled Water

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  445 ratings  ·  51 reviews
This is a drama set in modern-day China. It was short listed for the 2004 Smarties Award for fiction 9 - 11.
Published June 6th 2005 by Bloomsbury Children's Books (first published 2001)

Ana (Read Me Away)
Do not be fooled by the whimsical-looking cover and the “Children’s” genre. This book explores some very heavy themes: a girl’s place in society (that she is somehow “less” than a boy), betrayal, abuse, child labour, inhumane working conditions, and unscrupulous employers. It did not make me cry as I thought it would, but it still tugged at my emotions and made me feel for Si-Yan.

After some rudimentary Googling, I came to the conclusion that the phrase “spilled water” means something like a “was
Brianna
Spilled Water by Sally Grindley is a story about a Chinese girl who beats all odds in her life to finding her way home to her family. To me, this book was very emotional and life changing and made me look at my life differently. This story is about an eleven year-old named Lu-Si Yan who lived with her mother, father, and brother. Until one day her father is killed in a tragic accident that leaves her and her family estranged. Since the father was the provider of the family, the mother didn't kno ...more
Saffy
This is probably the only book which has really mad me cry,
Hats off the Sally Grindley for such an amazing piece of work!
Beth Dean
As the blurb says it was heart-wrenching, I couldn't help but hope for Lu Si-yan completely and utterly and what was worse was that this situation happens, all the time and yet I don't even know them or think about it. Of course the concept of sweat shops everyone knows about, or if they don't they really should by now, it's a worldwide issue which HAS to be dealt with. The book is clever in that it filters this issue and yet leaves nothing important about the issue out such as the deductions in ...more
Salima Korri
I read this in one hour and I simply adored it. It took me a while to bring myself to read it but once I discovered that it contained some Chinese Cinderella elements I whizzed though it like a bird.

It certainly does give off the Chinese Cinderella Vibe and everything was beautifully written from start to finish even though I did think that some chapter were too short considering they were only Lu Si-Yan's memories from her childhood.

Lu Si-Yan has such a passionate personality and is so determin
Joanna
Apr 08, 2008 Joanna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Joanna by: My cousin
Sold to a rich family, determined to get home, Lu Si-Yan never expected her life will turn out this way after her beloved father's death. In the rich family, Lu Si-Yan was told she would marry the son of the Chen's, when she get older, but she hardly ever seen him. She was sold to become a servant. When she finally get to meet him , while serving dinner, she thought he was pretty handsome ,but the way he act was kind of... childish. It really creep her out.
As Lu Si-Yan try to step out of one hol
Vedika
This book is a really sad one that makes us all realize the realities and hardships of life that children have to face today. Sally Grindley really captivated me and I felt like I was being transported into another country while sitting in my room. I absolutely love this book, and no matter how many times I read it it remains fresh and new...
Rosanne Hawke
A harrowing read about child trafficking and slavery set in China. This one's for a younger age level so deals with domestic and factory forced labour. There is hope.
Lucy
Jul 10, 2012 Lucy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who really need an eye-opener.
Spilled Water is a great, heart-breaking tale. It's filled with hope, despair and the struggle to survival. Told through the eyes of a Chinese girl who was sold into slavery, this book will send you flipping through the pages.
Victoria Brown
When this was recently rediscovered during the post-Christmas clear out, I was overjoyed. This was one of my favourites as a child; it was a fascinating story about what was, for a ten year old, a completely different world. For me this story was more than a tragic tale of a Chinese girl sold practically into slavery. It was more of a story of human kindness and redemption; Lu Si-yan cannot find her family without the kindness of strangers. Such a beautifully written book; as it progress the wri ...more
Jenna Ackerman
Kalilah
What I really hate in stories (and in real life) are retarded parents that become useless, snivelling wrecks when one of them dies or divorces. They sit around all misty-eyed, remembering the good old days and neglecting their children, who consequently suffer horribly. I'm not a motherly person, yet it makes my blood boil when I hear about such people. What's worse is when they try to act all picturesque and responsible while the going's good, but crumble into a pile of worthless dust as soon a ...more
Naya
"Spilled Water" is about a little girl who was sold to be a servant for the rest of her life. I wasn't very happy about the ending, so I didn't enjoy the book as much as I thought I would. I recommend this book to people who like adventure.
Tanja
Another thought-provoking novel. A young girl's life is thrown into misery with the death of her father and her uncle selling her as a servant. The book touches on many tough issues such as child labor, exploitations through scrupulous factory owners, arranged/forced marriages, the low status of girls in some societies and poverty, making especially women and girls vulnerable. The author does an amazing job, letting the reader travel with Lu-Si Yan, feeling her anger, fear, frustrations, and she ...more
Hanifa
Aug 31, 2014 Hanifa added it
this is soo sad and emotional! what she has to go through just because she is a girl! i love
Lu Si-Yan for being so strong at so young. :,)
Angela
This book follows a girl’s struggles after she is sold into slavery to repay her family’s debt after her father’s death. The author addresses topics such as classism, sexism, and ageism through the girl’s fight to return to her village. At times, it feels like the author is forcing unlikely sequences of events together just to add social commentary. Also, maybe for that same reason, the good characters are stereotypically good, to the point of being one-dimensional. But the author does do a good ...more
Amerie Stinson
Dec 14, 2013 Amerie Stinson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Amerie by: Mom
Shelves: favorite
This beautiful book is about young Lu Si Yan's struggles as her family sells her to market. Extremely thought provoking and amazing. I felt actual sympathy to poor Lu Si Yan, one of those books that make you feel a connection to the character. I praise Sally Grindley, and this is definitely a favorite. And this is something big coming from a grumpy person like me! I would recommend this to everyone. It is a real eye opener.

Final verdict: I would read again, and again, and again. A lovely and hea
Fouad
Jan 07, 2015 Fouad rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fan
It's very sad and I want to find out what had happened next
Emily Burnett
I read this book for the first time when I was 8 years old, and it is the one book that really made me fall in love with literature. Nothing ever touched me quite like this ever again, I will forever remember it, and it will never leave my shelf. It's not just a book for kids, it is for everyone and I didn't feel like a kid reading it. Just thinking about it makes me smile again, it's heartbreaking, heartwarming, and above all for me, life changing... Something personally I will never leave behi ...more
Cassie
This book is amazin I first read it when i was maybe 10 or 11, i'm 14 now and would still re-read it! I cry everytime too! This book was a real eye-opener for me and I'm soo thankful for it! Honestly i don't think this book was exagerated conditions like this DO excist and not just 50 years ago! I would seriously recomend this book and ask everyone to pray for the people China and the hardships listed in this book and other hardships they go through.
Ella
This book is very different to the sort of books I normally read but it was still good. It is a powerful book for a childrens that makes you think as it is set in a different country and about a girl who is sold in to slavery. It talks about her struggles and her wanting to be back with her mum and brother. The letters are quite big compared to the books I read now and this is short as it is a childrens book. A good childrens read.
Kathy
Pre-viewed this for my daughter (adopted from China). Totally heart wrenching with a stroke of luck and a happy twist! I wonder how true this story is to many Chinese girls? Although it's fine for her reading level (9 years old @ 5th+ grade level), I'm going to wait until 5th or 6th grade before I let her read it due to the heart wrenching content.
Rachael
I learned a lot from this story about the life of a young girl in China and how difficult it becomes after her father dies. She is sold by her family to become a domestic servant to a rich family, then she runs away and works in even harsher conditions in a factory. Great characters and a happy ending make it a good story amidst the hard times.
Cheryl
Meg
I throught the book was fantastic I chose to read this perticular book for english, it was an easier read than the others we had to choose from such as "Mao's last dancer", "Dragon keeper" and "chinese cinderella".Spilled water was great and i recomend it for ages such as year 5,6,7 and onwards.

thanks
Meg
Hazuki
Amazing book that really speaks out about such a serious issue! I just hope that Lu Si-Yan made it alright... :P
Marielle Newton
Read this book when I was about 14, couldn't remember the name of it and have been looking for it for years! This book was gripping from start to finish and a total emotional roller coaster. The plot was a real eye opener. Recommend anyone and everyone to read.
Alexandra
Jan 30, 2013 Alexandra marked it as to-read
this book is amazing. I was 9 or 10 when I was forced to read it for school. I am now 15 and it has been my favourite book since then. I have been looking for a copy of the book for 4 years now. and finally Dymocks will order it in for me. FINALLY. :D
Ionie Hudson
Amazing I couldn't put the book down!!!
I picked it up in a charity shop not knowing what to expect because it isn't the type of book i would usually read but. But this was the best book I have read in a long time
What's The Name o...: NEED HELP.CHILDREN'S BOOK [s] 18 62 Apr 24, 2013 09:23AM
  • Flickan och skulden: En bok om samhällets syn på våldtäkt
  • Stripes of the Sidestep Wolf
  • Kapitulera omedelbart eller dö
  • Berättelser från Engelsfors (Engelsfors, #2.5)
  • Petals in the Ashes (Sign of the Sugared Plum, #2)
  • Chinese Cinderella and the Secret Dragon Society
  • Transported: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Australia, 1790
  • Vi måste sluta ses på det här sättet
  • Death in Dublin (Peter McGarr, #16)
  • Cleopatra and Her ASP
  • Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with a Circus
  • The Traitor Game
  • Where I'd Like To Be
  • Sing To The Dawn
Dear Max Broken Glass Torn Pages Shhh! Bravo, Max!