Start by marking “X-Men: S.W.O.R.D.: No Time to Breathe” as Want to Read:
X-Men: S.W.O.R.D.: No Time to Breathe

X-Men: S.W.O.R.D.: No Time to Breathe

Agent Brand is no longer the top dog at S.W.O.R.D. Forced to share her leadership post with former Avengers-liaison Henry Gyrich, Brand is less than pleased. Will the arrival of her boyfriend, X-Man Beast, help her out? Not when she discovers Gyrich's plan for fixing S.W.O.R.D. is to rid Earth of all aliens!
Published July 7th 2010 by Marvel Comics Group (first published January 2010)

To ask other readers questions about X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men

Terence
Jan 28, 2016 Terence rated it liked it
HAMMER Director Norman Osborn has named Henry Gyrich as co-commander of SWORD. Abigail Brand isn't happy about this, but there currently nothing she can do. Gyrich is up to something.
description
His plan is to deport all alien life from Earth.
description

No Time To Breathe was an apt name for this volume. The pace is dizzying likely to indicate how hectic life is as the commander of SWORD. Brand's day went from one disaster to another, she was so busy in fact she didn't know Gyrich was taking over. It seems the Skrull
Feather Mista
Dec 21, 2010 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Whedonistas
Recommended to Feather by: Lo anterior
Estuvo increíblemente cerca de las cuatro estrellitas. Promedio para abajo nomás porque en ciertas partes de la historia resulta fácil perderse y porque el dibujo, aunque me gustó bastante, huele a principiante por todos lados, con todas las incorrecciones anatómicas y confusiones narrativas que eso conlleva. Pero el espíritu de los Astonishing de Whedon y Cassaday está ahí (más en el guion que en el dibujo), y me pareció verdaderamente una lástima que no prosperara esta original serie. A ver qu ...more
Sonic
Jun 21, 2011 Sonic rated it did not like it
Ech. I tried to read this and it annoyed me, and the more I read the more annoying it became, eventually I stopped.
Jul 28, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Wow, this sucked. And it shouldn't have. Joss Whedon made Abby Brand one of the most exciting new characters in the X-men universe, Beast is always a solid, and I like Lockheed. But this is a hot mess on toast.

First of all, I don't know if this artist has ever seen Beast. His face is just so wrong its actually distracting. Especially when you consider that the cover art has him looking good and consistent with his run on Astonishing X-Men.

Also did Beast and Abby get personality transplants? Be
Chris Lemmerman
Mar 25, 2013 Chris Lemmerman rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Kieron Gillen is on top form here, plotting a tight story that comes together masterfully by the end of the story. You'd never have guessed that this was meant to be an ongoing series and not a mini-series, with everything tied up by the end and some interesting new characters introduced that will go on to play larger roles in other series, such as UNIT.

If you're not a fan of Steve Sanders' Beast, you probably won't enjoy the art as much as I did, but Sanders' comic timing is excellen
Cody
Ahhh... A nice trip down memory lane; a harken to the time when the X-Men were a respected franchise......

I don't know what it is about self-contained books with definitive and planned endings, but I think it has to do with flow. I can't stand books that rush or stall, so it's more than refreshing to pick up a graphic novel and know I'll be getting a satisfying conclusion.

This book checks all the boxes. There's humor, there's cheater growth, there's villain motivation, and there's Beast. Yup.

I
Mike
Jun 16, 2011 Mike rated it liked it
Better than others of Gillen's work that I've read. Is it possible he's improving his writing craft? I expect so little of the Marvel second-stringers these days, that I hardly bother to pick up books not written by the superstars. However this one had me at Agent Brand and I'm glad I gave it a shot.

The story turns at chapter 3 and goes from unapologetic to weaker, but I must commend Gillen and say he redeems himself with some clever lines and ideas (finally) as the story climaxes.

I think in the
Sophie
Mar 16, 2011 Sophie rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Well, the plot was a bit.. you know, this was like a really fun action flick, the kind you don't watch for the plot but for the silly jokes and the explosions, I guess. I really enjoyed the interaction between Agent Brand and Hank; I love that she clearly is the one wearing the pants in their relationship, and the banter between them was just a lot of fun.

Actually, that's true of the whole book - it's really sad that it was canceled, but then, books that are fun tend to do worse than the GrimmDa
Scott
Jul 14, 2014 Scott rated it it was ok
Very lame attempt at a humor comic despite the potential for social commentary on current events (repatriation of all aliens). The art is terrible. Beast looks like a horse (ad rarely invokes his erudite vocabulary, then mocks the reader for not getting that pursuit is a pun on his leonine appearance), although he looks more recognizable in the penciled artwork at the back than in the finished artwork. The only reason I read it is because it came up next in the chronology of the Runaways. Karoli ...more
Travis
May 07, 2014 Travis rated it it was ok
Wanted to like this more than I did.

Can we just one have one secret government agency that just does its job, rather than have the biggest threat it faces be internal politics?

The oddball cast and the potential to be Marvel's Torchwood kept me reading, but the story tries too hard to be dramatic rather than just presenting more of the day to day, ow do you run a secret agency that deals with aliens on earth.

Another good idea, weak comic from marvel.
Ernest
Jul 26, 2011 Ernest rated it did not like it
The story as a concept is solid (the small political aspects are alright) but I’ve never had a great interest in aliens in the Marvel universe at the best of times and this did nothing to gain my interest. The drawings of Beast (apart from the cover) are terrible. It is as if Sanders had never seen what Beast looks like and as a result, made him look at various times like a dog, horse and as if in a Manga. This is not worth reading, even for a completest like me.
Alan
Aug 28, 2010 Alan rated it liked it
During his run as a writer on X-Men Joss Whedon created Abigail Brand and S.W.O.R.D. an agent an agency charged with protecting Earth from alien invasion. Whedon had said he someday wanted to write a Brand series, but Marvel chose note to wait for Whedon's to find a hole in schedule to do that writing. The team does a nice job on this book, which last five issues before being canceled due to low sales. Ah we hardly get a chance to know Brand her staff, but the light tone taken here works.
Ryan Viergutz
Sep 27, 2012 Ryan Viergutz marked it as science-fiction
How did this series only get one volume? It's loony, silly, over the top and generally warped. I was pretty fascinated with Agent Brand in Whedon's Astonishing run, and she's just as cool here. It takes a while to get Beast and her interacting in a fun way - I think Brand was in a bad mood for the first half of the book, understandably - but you can see why they're together in the last half.

The ending is just uber cool.
Tony
Jan 13, 2014 Tony rated it it was amazing
Fast-moving, fast-talking, all-to-brief action adventure starring super-badass Agent Brant, who has no time for dithering on the job.

Full of fun ideas and sparky bits of dialogue and one character in particular I thought I wouldn't see in a modern Marvel comic. It's a brief but lean action comic, like Die Hard with a tiny pissed off dragon.
Timothy Pitkin
Apr 27, 2016 Timothy Pitkin rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, super-hero
Great book and I am glad that the aliens actually look like aliens and not just human with maybe green skin. It was just a fun book like Pacific Rim it may not have smart themes or lessons but it does have some good drama and some fun action scenes and the last part with the invasion was really funny.
Brent
Dec 04, 2013 Brent rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: X-Men fans
Recommended to Brent by: The Book Nook
Shelves: comics, fiction, superhero, sf
Great John Casaday cover right off on first issue...
Great use of Lockheed the Dragon, too.
I never got the uniqueness or read the stories featuring the character Deathshead, yet here he turns up together with The Beast looking more like a jackass than a feline or other mammal. Portrayals vary. This one is slapstick space opera.
Mildly recommended.
Okelay
Dec 14, 2016 Okelay rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of both Gillen and Brand so I'd been wanting to read this for a while and it did not disappoint. I'd read all of Norman Osborn's dark reign a while back but hadnt been able to get my hands on this. It made for an exciting read.
Malia
Sep 03, 2010 Malia rated it liked it
Not bad. I didn't like the way Beast was drawn on the inside but not bad. The elongated nose didn't suit him and I prefer the cover art but the story (plot wise) was pretty good. Especially as a continuation from a good series to a new author
Trey
Jul 28, 2010 Trey rated it it was ok
Meh. This X-Men mini-series was a little too far afield for me. The only X-Man in it is Beast, and he looks more like a wolf than the lion I'm used to seeing after his secondary mutation kicked in. This would probably only be of interest to die-hard X-Men fans, and maybe not even then.
Dan
Aug 12, 2013 Dan rated it did not like it
Cartoonish looking art, and beyond campy. Horse face Beast totally ruined it. How did they let that slide to finished Book.
Willow
Jun 16, 2012 Willow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel-comics
I think Beast and Abigail Brand are my new OTP. They are just so delightful together. Adding to that poor, moping, drunk Lockheed makes the book a must read.
James Dunphy
Feb 24, 2013 James Dunphy rated it liked it
Definitely one of the more original Marvel teams assembled in recent memory. Lockheed gets some precious panel space to be bad ass.
Aug 04, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
3.5 stars.
James
Jun 20, 2016 James rated it really liked it
A worthy successor to Nextwave. Not as absurd, but a lot of potential here for a longer series, sadly curtailed.
Morgan
Oct 23, 2015 Morgan rated it liked it
BLUF: Several fun moments admist the clobbering, but no really depth or development here.
Recommendation: Have a blueberry muffin.
Chris Boette
Aug 09, 2011 Chris Boette rated it really liked it
What a wonderful surprise this was! Glad I snagged it from the library. An added bonus: having a new writer to look out for at the comic shop.
Matt
Nov 07, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: x-men
A fun romp. Gillen's writing crackles all over the place, keeping the tension and the humor high, while Sanders' art is fantastic. Great stuff.
Brendan Wright
Brendan Wright rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Gregory
Gregory rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Jeremy Spaulding
Jeremy Spaulding rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2010
  • Black Panther by Christopher Priest: The Complete Collection, Vol. 1
  • The Defenders, Vol. 2
  • Superman: The Unauthorized Biography
  • X-Men Origins II
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.
More about Kieron Gillen...