Start by marking “Birds of Prey, Vol. 3: Of Like Minds” as Want to Read:
Birds of Prey, Vol. 3: Of Like Minds

Birds of Prey, Vol. 3: Of Like Minds (Birds of Prey I #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,076 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Stars of their own TV show, the most sultry and glamorous additions to the Batman family takes flight once more! As swift and powerful as any raptor, they certainly live up to their name when it comes to crime-busting! Using a corrupt businessman as bait, blackmailers capture Black Canary to extort Batman's real identity from Oracle -.
Published April 1st 2004 by Titan Books (UK) (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Birds of Prey, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birds of Prey, Vol. 3

Watchmen by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Alan Moore
Best of DC Comics
51st out of 200 books — 78 voters
Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
174th out of 327 books — 521 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
It's almost like a book of two halves. On one hand, Gail Simone writes strong, physically and mentally imposing women with emotional lives that don't revolve around men. On the other hand, there's the art that goes beyond what I consider the normal standard of sexually exploitative for female superheroes. I've seen this sort of thing before in superhero comics starring strong women. Almost like editorial is petrified that that readers won't pick up a comic about female superheroes unless they se ...more
tish
After one volume I'm sure that I will love this series. The ladies are super kick ass, smart, and really hot; all three have been affected by the fucked-up shit they've endured at the hands of Gotham's usual cast of dudes, but they've all found ways to move on and be heroes on their own terms. Also, Oracle used to be a librarian!!!
Mike
I'm...puzzled. From everything I've read, Simone is lauded for rich believable characters. From what I'm seeing here in early chapters, there's a tendency to use three-syllable words when something shorter would do - which makes the characters seem a little theatrical rather than believable. And I'm also talking about the beefy villains, who unless I'm missing something are just typical muscle and not Rhodes scholars with a hormonal imbalance.

This tendency isn't consistent - in fact, the charact
Melissa
3 stars for the characters and some fun writing. A lot of the plot was just OK, but the thing that nearly ruined the volume for me was the art. Ed Benes shows a lot of skill and creates some nice work here, but man did I loathe the exploitative way he drew the female characters, particularly Huntress (though Barbara and Canary had their moments). I am encouraged to read reviews and see that I am not the only one who found it disgusting and beyond normal levels of "superheroes are a fantasy, not ...more
Claire
Barbara Gordon, Black Canary, and The Huntress fight crime in Gotham. Another enjoyable story by Gail Simone.
Oh, my beloved Birds of Prey. This volume contains Gail Simone's first work with Oracle, Black Canary, and Huntress. While the characters beats are dynamic and personalities well-chosen, the art is cheesecake to the extreme. It distracts from almost everything going on, from the examination of what it means to be Big Brother, and how one suffers the effects of a kidnapping (or a break-up), to the bonds of friendship calling someone to action. Your mileage may vary on this, but stick with the ser ...more
Eli
A decent enough story, maybe 4 stars for that. Awful, adolescent artwork. Those 3 guys should be ashamed of themselves. I haven't read Simone's script, but I doubt it contains the words "upskirt" or "crotch shot." You have a female author and an all-female superhero crew and this is how you treat them? Weak.
I love Gail Simone's writing, I love the team. I just have to say: did switching to a female writer mean that they felt they had to ramp up the T&A for the sake of the male audience? Because Huntress' new costume is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.
Sophie
Gail Simone = Queen of Awesome.

It probably was a mistake to read this now because now I want to read more, the rest, everything! Oh, but I love these women - kickass and fun and caring and loving and just all around wonderful. This is a great, great series.
Dorkthropology
Would've given it a 3 if the art involved less ridiculous T&A shots.
Abhinav
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the third and fourth trade collections from the first run of Birds of Prey which was originally penned by Chuck Dixon.
Volume 3 collects issues #56-61 and Volume 4 collects issues #62-67.

“Excellent work all around, from the script to the art, these two collections offer a unique insight into the Birds of Prey that is matched only by Duane Swierczynski’s New 52 run. If I wasn’t alrea
Wandering Librarians
For version with pictures, go to http://wanderinglibrarians.blogspot.c...

Barbara Gordon, formerly Batgirl but now paralyzed from the waist, down continues to fight crime as Oracle, along with Black Canary. Black Canary falls in to a trap set by Savant, a mentally unstable villain with a grudge against Batman. Oracle finds she has to call on someone she doesn't fully trust - Huntress - if she wants Black Canary back alive.

I really liked it. A lot. I picked this one up because it was written by Ga
Iain
I had one of those comics moments when reading this. I remember reading Green Arrow in the early 90s: somehow, in the interim, while I got twenty years older, Black Canary got ten years younger.

Reasonably solid writing, but the art is not really to my taste. It's bog-standard comic-book stuff, not done particularly well, featuring beautiful characters, impossible hairstyles and impractical costumes (Simone sort of lampshades the latter, but it doesn't come off). Even the incidental waitress cha
Lindsay Stares
These two graphic novels collect the beginning of Gail Simone's initial run with Birds of Prey (she recently returned to the relaunched book, but I'm not sold on the new run quite yet.) Birds of Prey, of course, gets special love just for being an all-female superhero team (most of the time), but also I really like each of the main characters.

I hadn't gotten to these books before, which is ridiculous considering how good this series is.

One of my only complaints was I felt that the characters sp
G (galen)
Loved loved loved the writing in this book. The interactions and dialogue between Oracle, Black Canary, and Huntress was just to die for and the way this team wipes up the streets with the bad guys made my heart happy.

The art was exceptional but it is also what made this book harder for me to swallow: this volume takes your typical comic-book sexualization and shifts it into over-drive. There is a *lot* of Huntress and Black Canary ass and groin shots in this one. I haven't read the others in t
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
Let's face it, the comic-book industry has often unkind to the fairer sex. Some stories were undeniably sexist (like when Sue Storm was actually referred to as the "weakest" member of the Fantastic Four), and others were outright misogynistic (Barbara Gordon's disgusting treatment in "The Killing Joke" comes to mind). But here is a comic book starring women and written by a woman where the ladies finally get the respectful treatment they so richly deserve! Gail Simone is a master at characteriza ...more
Elgalla
Oh, I really liked this one; it's nothing like the first volume. The writing is much better, the art is much better and the overall story is very interesting, with a great main villain. Overall, a very entertaining volume.
Kirk Kiefer
I just re-read this for the first time since my initial read and man, it's just as great as I remember. Gail Simone has a perfect grasp on these characters from the get-go, and creates an action-filled story heavy on the character development. And man, is it funny, with things like little asides about Huntress's belly window and Canary's fishnets. You really end up rooting for these characters very quickly.

Ed Benes's art is also very good, if a wee-bit cheesecake-y (okay, it's a LOTTA bit cheese
Cori Edgerton
This quote made my day! Oracle: "I could've told you, Savant (the bad guy). When it comes to research...never bet against a former librarian." #librarianpower
Ghofran
The writing is engaging and addictive but the artist is trying his best to make all women who are reading this uncomfortable.
Kzee Mikols
My first time reading Birds of Prey and I really liked it! It usually takes me a week to read a comic and I read this in a day. I'm not normally drawn to "girl power" stuff but this made it cool.
Kb
I was somewhat leery with the whole Black Canary as a hostage thing but Simone made it better in the end.
Alan
I'm catching up on Gail Simone's Birds of Prey series, as I've only read some of the trades to date. This is the start of her run, and it is also where she introduces two of my favorite characters from her run Savant and Creote. Creote is in love with Savant, and Savant 1) doesn't know it and 2) doesn't realize his hulking and intelligent underling is Gay (in a very understated and well done way). Simone shows of her strengths here when the characters are talking, and she plays with how little s ...more
Jackie
What I really enjoyed from reading this trade paperback was not the excellent art by Ed Benes or his very impressive action scenes, but the well thought-out and deep relationship between Black Canary and Barbara Gordon.

The subtle conflict between the styles of the two main characters: Barbara's pragmatism and the desire to do whatever necessary (quite Batman-esque if you ask me) versus the idealism of Black Canary, and her role as Barbara Gordon's moral compass as they try to fight crime in Goth
4 stars for the storyline
3 stars for brutal artwork
Sinistmer
Enjoyed the action and banter in this one!
Emerald
Art aside, the story's pretty good.
Althea J.
Gail Simone's entire run on Birds of Prey is a revelation. Women written with such depth, relating to each other as real women would -- Gail gets these characters.

So many of the comics I read, though I enjoy them, are written for a particular male demographic. It is refreshing to come across a series and an author that speak to me as well.

This book is the start of Gail's run. LOVE it!

p.s. I'm not into the summary that GoodReads gives for this book. I think it's better described in some of the r
Jen
Seems most teams work best in threes, no? Black Canary provides much of the humour and action, while Oracle wows us all with her amazing resourcefulness. Huntress also makes a welcome appearance.

Gail Simone's fantastic writing (with just the right balance of feminist sensibilities) matched with Ed Benes boisterous, lively art makes this a very enjoyable read for both the ladies and the lads.

This trade paperback covers issues #56-59 of Birds of Prey.
stephanie
i am spoiled by nicola scott's artwork, and so it was kind of hard to go back and start at the beginning.

but the story is really good.

oh, babs. oh, young helena. i really love helena. A LOT. i am now going to hunt down everything about huntress . . .

and i think it's hilarious reading about other characters in the universe through the BoP lens.
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies
  • Batgirl, Vol. 4: Fists of Fury
  • Huntress: Year One
  • Huntress: Crossbow at the Crossroads
  • Catwoman, Vol. 1: The Dark End of the Street
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".
More about Gail Simone...

Birds of Prey I (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 1
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 8: Blood and Circuits
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 9: Dead of Winter
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 10: Club Kids
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 11: Metropolis or Dust
Batgirl, Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection Batgirl, Vol. 2: Knightfall Descends Villains United Batgirl, Vol. 3: Death of the Family Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: End Run