Start by marking “Birds of Prey, Vol. 3: Of Like Minds” as Want to Read:
Birds of Prey, Vol. 3: Of Like Minds

Birds of Prey, Vol. 3: Of Like Minds (Birds of Prey I #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,288 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Stars of their own TV show, the most sultry and glamorous additions to the Batman family takes flight once more! As swift and powerful as any raptor, they certainly live up to their name when it comes to crime-busting! Using a corrupt businessman as bait, blackmailers capture Black Canary to extort Batman's real identity from Oracle -.
Published April 1st 2004 by Titan Books (UK) (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Birds of Prey, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birds of Prey, Vol. 3

Watchmen by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Alan MooreBatman by Jeph Loeb
Best of DC Comics
61st out of 233 books — 112 voters
Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
199th out of 369 books — 703 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 16, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
It's almost like a book of two halves. On one hand, Gail Simone writes strong, physically and mentally imposing women with emotional lives that don't revolve around men. On the other hand, there's the art that goes beyond what I consider the normal standard of sexually exploitative for female superheroes. I've seen this sort of thing before in superhero comics starring strong women. Almost like editorial is petrified that that readers won't pick up a comic about female superheroes unless they se ...more
Oracle and Black Canary track down a "normal" supervillain who has combat skills on par with Batman. It leads to complications.

Along the way the two of them decide upon whether to trust Huntress.

Great artwork and the females are deliciously drawn to the point of being distracting to the stories. I doubt Gail Simone would have completely approved.

Aug 11, 2008 tish rated it really liked it
After one volume I'm sure that I will love this series. The ladies are super kick ass, smart, and really hot; all three have been affected by the fucked-up shit they've endured at the hands of Gotham's usual cast of dudes, but they've all found ways to move on and be heroes on their own terms. Also, Oracle used to be a librarian!!!
Jan 24, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
I'm...puzzled. From everything I've read, Simone is lauded for rich believable characters. From what I'm seeing here in early chapters, there's a tendency to use three-syllable words when something shorter would do - which makes the characters seem a little theatrical rather than believable. And I'm also talking about the beefy villains, who unless I'm missing something are just typical muscle and not Rhodes scholars with a hormonal imbalance.

This tendency isn't consistent - in fact, the charact
3 stars for the characters and some fun writing. A lot of the plot was just OK, but the thing that nearly ruined the volume for me was the art. Ed Benes shows a lot of skill and creates some nice work here, but man did I loathe the exploitative way he drew the female characters, particularly Huntress (though Barbara and Canary had their moments). I am encouraged to read reviews and see that I am not the only one who found it disgusting and beyond normal levels of "superheroes are a fantasy, not ...more
Mar 11, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Oh, my beloved Birds of Prey. This volume contains Gail Simone's first work with Oracle, Black Canary, and Huntress. While the characters beats are dynamic and personalities well-chosen, the art is cheesecake to the extreme. It distracts from almost everything going on, from the examination of what it means to be Big Brother, and how one suffers the effects of a kidnapping (or a break-up), to the bonds of friendship calling someone to action. Your mileage may vary on this, but stick with the ser ...more
Mar 08, 2013 Eli rated it liked it
A decent enough story, maybe 4 stars for that. Awful, adolescent artwork. Those 3 guys should be ashamed of themselves. I haven't read Simone's script, but I doubt it contains the words "upskirt" or "crotch shot." You have a female author and an all-female superhero crew and this is how you treat them? Weak.
Danzel Hankerson
Sep 05, 2015 Danzel Hankerson rated it it was amazing
This isn't the first volume of Birds of Prey; but everybody I know told me that this was a good starting point. This was a good stand alone story that I didn't need to read the first two volumes to figure out what was going on in this volume. I have the next issue on stand by and I will buy the first two volumes as well volumes five and up just to add to my collection.
Feb 22, 2016 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 2016
Originally gave this 4 stars, mainly for the story, but after 24 hours of rumination, I'm taking off a star for the overly buxom art.

See my review of Sensei and Student for further clarification.
Too lazy to type it twice.
Sep 16, 2010 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Gail Simone = Queen of Awesome.

It probably was a mistake to read this now because now I want to read more, the rest, everything! Oh, but I love these women - kickass and fun and caring and loving and just all around wonderful. This is a great, great series.
May 12, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic_novels
I love Gail Simone's writing, I love the team. I just have to say: did switching to a female writer mean that they felt they had to ramp up the T&A for the sake of the male audience? Because Huntress' new costume is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.
Nov 19, 2014 Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Barbara Gordon, Black Canary, and The Huntress fight crime in Gotham. Another enjoyable story by Gail Simone.
Jul 20, 2014 Dorkthropology rated it it was ok
Would've given it a 3 if the art involved less ridiculous T&A shots.
May 06, 2013 Abhinav rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-read
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the third and fourth trade collections from the first run of Birds of Prey which was originally penned by Chuck Dixon.
Volume 3 collects issues #56-61 and Volume 4 collects issues #62-67.

“Excellent work all around, from the script to the art, these two collections offer a unique insight into the Birds of Prey that is matched only by Duane Swierczynski’s New 52 run. If I wasn’t alrea
Sep 29, 2016 Rebecca rated it liked it
3 stars ...more
Wandering Librarians
For version with pictures, go to http://wanderinglibrarians.blogspot.c...

Barbara Gordon, formerly Batgirl but now paralyzed from the waist, down continues to fight crime as Oracle, along with Black Canary. Black Canary falls in to a trap set by Savant, a mentally unstable villain with a grudge against Batman. Oracle finds she has to call on someone she doesn't fully trust - Huntress - if she wants Black Canary back alive.

I really liked it. A lot. I picked this one up because it was written by Ga
Lindsay Stares
Jul 19, 2010 Lindsay Stares rated it really liked it
These two graphic novels collect the beginning of Gail Simone's initial run with Birds of Prey (she recently returned to the relaunched book, but I'm not sold on the new run quite yet.) Birds of Prey, of course, gets special love just for being an all-female superhero team (most of the time), but also I really like each of the main characters.

I hadn't gotten to these books before, which is ridiculous considering how good this series is.

One of my only complaints was I felt that the characters sp
May 16, 2012 Iain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I had one of those comics moments when reading this. I remember reading Green Arrow in the early 90s: somehow, in the interim, while I got twenty years older, Black Canary got ten years younger.

Reasonably solid writing, but the art is not really to my taste. It's bog-standard comic-book stuff, not done particularly well, featuring beautiful characters, impossible hairstyles and impractical costumes (Simone sort of lampshades the latter, but it doesn't come off). Even the incidental waitress cha
G (galen)
Loved loved loved the writing in this book. The interactions and dialogue between Oracle, Black Canary, and Huntress was just to die for and the way this team wipes up the streets with the bad guys made my heart happy.

The art was exceptional but it is also what made this book harder for me to swallow: this volume takes your typical comic-book sexualization and shifts it into over-drive. There is a *lot* of Huntress and Black Canary ass and groin shots in this one. I haven't read the others in t
David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
Let's face it, the comic-book industry has often unkind to the fairer sex. Some stories were undeniably sexist (like when Sue Storm was actually referred to as the "weakest" member of the Fantastic Four), and others were outright misogynistic (Barbara Gordon's disgusting treatment in "The Killing Joke" comes to mind). But here is a comic book starring women and written by a woman where the ladies finally get the respectful treatment they so richly deserve! Gail Simone is a master at characteriza ...more
Kirk Kiefer
Dec 01, 2012 Kirk Kiefer rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-superhero
I just re-read this for the first time since my initial read and man, it's just as great as I remember. Gail Simone has a perfect grasp on these characters from the get-go, and creates an action-filled story heavy on the character development. And man, is it funny, with things like little asides about Huntress's belly window and Canary's fishnets. You really end up rooting for these characters very quickly.

Ed Benes's art is also very good, if a wee-bit cheesecake-y (okay, it's a LOTTA bit cheese
Oliver Hodson
Dec 31, 2015 Oliver Hodson rated it really liked it
Pretty awesome inteo arc to the book- cool villain, interesting heroes, and desires for food the whole time. It is a bit interesting that there are so many boobs and teaser poses in this book, but maybe that's part of the point- if women are normally just sideline characters in comics the teaser stuff doesn't get too boring, but if you are actually going to have a comic with a cast of several female characters who are normally shown that way, then it quickly gets gratuitous. The story itself was ...more
Mar 13, 2010 Alan rated it liked it
I'm catching up on Gail Simone's Birds of Prey series, as I've only read some of the trades to date. This is the start of her run, and it is also where she introduces two of my favorite characters from her run Savant and Creote. Creote is in love with Savant, and Savant 1) doesn't know it and 2) doesn't realize his hulking and intelligent underling is Gay (in a very understated and well done way). Simone shows of her strengths here when the characters are talking, and she plays with how little s ...more
Oct 01, 2009 Jackie rated it really liked it
What I really enjoyed from reading this trade paperback was not the excellent art by Ed Benes or his very impressive action scenes, but the well thought-out and deep relationship between Black Canary and Barbara Gordon.

The subtle conflict between the styles of the two main characters: Barbara's pragmatism and the desire to do whatever necessary (quite Batman-esque if you ask me) versus the idealism of Black Canary, and her role as Barbara Gordon's moral compass as they try to fight crime in Goth
Jun 05, 2015 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Gail Simone is a rock star! This volume wasn't quite as entertaining as some of her newer runs on Birds of Prey, Secret Six or BatGirl, but it was still really really good! I just love the way she writes The Huntress in these Birds of Prey stories. She is the ultimate kick ass and take no prisoners kinda girl. Not to take anything away from Black Canary or Oracle, who are both super bad ass heroes themselves. On conclusion blah blah blah, Gail Simone and the Huntress should rule the world, blah ...more
Althea J.
Gail Simone's entire run on Birds of Prey is a revelation. Women written with such depth, relating to each other as real women would -- Gail gets these characters.

So many of the comics I read, though I enjoy them, are written for a particular male demographic. It is refreshing to come across a series and an author that speak to me as well.

This book is the start of Gail's run. LOVE it!

p.s. I'm not into the summary that GoodReads gives for this book. I think it's better described in some of the r
Tyler Hayes
Aug 31, 2015 Tyler Hayes rated it really liked it
Reading this, you can see exactly how Simone got the attention she has now. Well-plotted, with plenty of emotion and heart and positivity at the core of a dark and disturbing premise, and a great look at the women of the Bat-family and the relationship Batman's satellite heroes have with the Dark Knight (Hint: it isn't all wine and roses); this one feels like an especially gritty episode of Justice League Unlimited, and I mean that to be as high praise as it sounds. Highly recommended.
Jan 19, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Seems most teams work best in threes, no? Black Canary provides much of the humour and action, while Oracle wows us all with her amazing resourcefulness. Huntress also makes a welcome appearance.

Gail Simone's fantastic writing (with just the right balance of feminist sensibilities) matched with Ed Benes boisterous, lively art makes this a very enjoyable read for both the ladies and the lads.

This trade paperback covers issues #56-59 of Birds of Prey.
Mar 09, 2013 Megan added it
Fantastic. Just...fantastic. I'd heard great things about Gail Simone's Birds of Prey run, and so I decided to pick up her first volume. An absolute kick-ass start, and a great jumping-on point for anyone unfamiliar with the characters. Just one more reason I love Gail Simone's contributions to the women of DC so very, very much.
Jul 07, 2016 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best villains are tragic figures and no villain is more steeped in brain damage and PTSD than Savant who is the main bad guy in this collection. Even when you want the Birds to take him down you understand his motivation and want him to find a better outlet for his intellect. Simone is really on top of her game here.
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies
  • Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Trouble in Mind
  • Huntress: Year One
  • Green Arrow/Black Canary, Volume 1: The Wedding Album
  • Batgirl: Year One
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".
More about Gail Simone...

Birds of Prey I (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Birds of Prey Vol. 1