Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies

Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies (Birds of Prey I #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  411 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This breathtaking book features the female dynamic trio of Oracle, the Black Canary and Batgirl. After being paralyzed by the Joker, former Batgirl Barbara Gordon became Oracle, an information and cyberspace specialist, and began a crime-fighting union with Black Canary. Two women with different personalities and beliefs, their relationship has always been tumultuous but e...more
Published February 1st 2003 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Birds of Prey, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birds of Prey, Vol. 2

Kathleen
Barbara is one of my all time favorite super-heroes. In comics, people often say things like "Superman isn't Superman because he has a rainbow of superpowers, he's Superman because he uses them to help people." Batman is my favorite superhero because he has no powers, but Barbara takes that humanity one step further. She got hurt. She's paraplegic for life, and she's still a superhero.
Charlotte
The same Dixon quality we all know and love, this trade should however come with a cliché warning – time travelling in the final issues contained. However, that aside, this collection of BoP #1-6 has some absolutely classic moments (Mint ice-cream/chat with the Bat, etc) and a couple of heartbreakingly familiar scenes regarding our society’s (mistaken) views regarding disability… You can’t miss the series of panels in question, like the insistent librarian being overly helpful…

“This chair doesn’...more
Nicolas
Still clunky. Apparently Gail Simone is the only one who gets what it takes to make Birds of Prey click.
Sesana
Four stars mostly for Babs. It's her personality that's really gotten me hooked on Birds of Prey. Of course, her growing friendship with Dinah is a key component to the series. I can't say much for the actual plots. They're mostly serviceable, outstanding neither for their quality or lack thereof. Minimal fanservice in the art, which is a relief to me. Not only is it a (more or less constant in superhero comics) irritant to me, it just doesn't suit a comic that's meant to be about powerful women...more
stephanie
guys, i love babs and dinah. seriously. there's just . . . yeah. i am clearly missing some issues because dinah still hasn't met babs by the end of this trade, and when gail simone picks it up, babs and dinah are way closer. though they are still best friends here!

i need mooooore . . .
Robin
This trade collects the first Birds of Prey issues, back when it was just Oracle and Black Canary. Way back in the dark ages of the 1990s when Oracle looked strangely like Dana Scully and wore a beret (a beret?!). A good setup for the rest of the series, which only improves from here.
Jdetrick
Unsurprisingly, the stories here are still great. Perhaps surprising is how good Greg Land's art is. He takes a lot of heat these days for his stilted layouts, bad faces and swiped poses, but I like what he does in these issues. Good stuff.
Rosa
This was action packed and I really enjoyed it. I can't believe I somehow managed to skip the first two volumes of the series.
Selena Beckman-Harned
For a comic written by guys, this was a satisfying girl-power romp, especially the first story!
Shannon Appelcline
A couple of silly fake-outs damage the integrity of the second arc, but otherwise good fun.
TJ
Fun short stories. Good intro into the Birds of Prey
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Tungstenmouse
Tungstenmouse marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: Trouble in Mind
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
  • Justice Society of America, Vol. 2: Thy Kingdom Come, Vol. 1
  • Batman: Harley Quinn
Charles "Chuck" Dixon is an American comic book writer, perhaps best-known for long runs on Batman titles in the 1990s.

His earliest comics work was writing Evangeline first for Comico Comics in 1984 (then later for First Comics, who published the on-going series), on which he worked with his then-wife, the artist Judith Hunt. His big break came one year later, when editor Larry Hama hired him to w...more
More about Chuck Dixon...
The Hobbit: Graphic Novel Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son Batman: Cataclysm Batman: Bruce Wayne, Murderer? Robin: Year One