Start by marking “Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies” as Want to Read:
Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies

Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies (Birds of Prey, Volume I #2)

This breathtaking book features the female dynamic trio of Oracle, the Black Canary and Batgirl. After being paralyzed by the Joker, former Batgirl Barbara Gordon became Oracle, an information and cyberspace specialist, and began a crime-fighting union with Black Canary. Two women with different personalities and beliefs, their relationship has always been tumultuous but e ...more
Published February 1st 2003 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Birds of Prey, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birds of Prey, Vol. 2

StoryTellerShannon
The stories range from above average to silly with average to good artwork. It's early in the relationship between Oracle and Black Canary.

OVERALL GRADE: C plus to B minus.
Kathleen
Feb 16, 2010 Kathleen rated it liked it
Barbara is one of my all time favorite super-heroes. In comics, people often say things like "Superman isn't Superman because he has a rainbow of superpowers, he's Superman because he uses them to help people." Batman is my favorite superhero because he has no powers, but Barbara takes that humanity one step further. She got hurt. She's paraplegic for life, and she's still a superhero.
Sesana
Dec 25, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Four stars mostly for Babs. It's her personality that's really gotten me hooked on Birds of Prey. Of course, her growing friendship with Dinah is a key component to the series. I can't say much for the actual plots. They're mostly serviceable, outstanding neither for their quality or lack thereof. Minimal fanservice in the art, which is a relief to me. Not only is it a (more or less constant in superhero comics) irritant to me, it just doesn't suit a comic that's meant to be about powerful women ...more
Craig
Sep 11, 2016 Craig rated it liked it
This is a nice collection of early issues of Birds of Prey, with only Black Canary and Oracle on hand. (It's hard to keep track of the continuity what with the DCU being rebooted so often... I have no idea which Robin appears in one of the issues in this volume. It was about twenty years ago, so...) The art is pretty good and expressive, and the stories are well-written, though not of the same caliber that Gail Simone brought during her run. Babs still seems to be struggling with the idea of set ...more
Charlotte
The same Dixon quality we all know and love, this trade should however come with a cliché warning – time travelling in the final issues contained. However, that aside, this collection of BoP #1-6 has some absolutely classic moments (Mint ice-cream/chat with the Bat, etc) and a couple of heartbreakingly familiar scenes regarding our society’s (mistaken) views regarding disability… You can’t miss the series of panels in question, like the insistent librarian being overly helpful…

“This chair doesn’
stephanie
Apr 05, 2009 stephanie rated it really liked it
guys, i love babs and dinah. seriously. there's just . . . yeah. i am clearly missing some issues because dinah still hasn't met babs by the end of this trade, and when gail simone picks it up, babs and dinah are way closer. though they are still best friends here!

i need mooooore . . .
Amanda
May 31, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Part of my massive Barbara Gordon Re-read which I had a glorious amazing time with. Birds of Prey, under the hands of Chuck Dixon, got it's first big push into existing, gorgeously, and I continue to love it deeply!
Jdetrick
Unsurprisingly, the stories here are still great. Perhaps surprising is how good Greg Land's art is. He takes a lot of heat these days for his stilted layouts, bad faces and swiped poses, but I like what he does in these issues. Good stuff.
Drucilla
Jul 20, 2015 Drucilla rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This volume as a whole didn't feel like it had much of a cohesiveness. There are some references to past events, but mostly, the issues are completely standalone. The issues are good, but they just don't have that feeling of history yet.
Victor Orozco
Apr 16, 2015 Victor Orozco rated it liked it
Slightly better than the last Birds of Prey collection. Have to admit I liked the story with Brand as well as the Vixens were really cool and fun. Dinah is still whiny and Barbara is too clever for her own good. Never understood the success of this series. C-
Robin
Jun 16, 2007 Robin rated it liked it
Shelves: comicbook
This trade collects the first Birds of Prey issues, back when it was just Oracle and Black Canary. Way back in the dark ages of the 1990s when Oracle looked strangely like Dana Scully and wore a beret (a beret?!). A good setup for the rest of the series, which only improves from here.
Nicolas
Apr 20, 2014 Nicolas rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Still clunky. Apparently Gail Simone is the only one who gets what it takes to make Birds of Prey click.
Rosa
Jun 01, 2010 Rosa rated it liked it
This was action packed and I really enjoyed it. I can't believe I somehow managed to skip the first two volumes of the series.
Got Milk
Got Milk rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Miranda Parkin
Miranda Parkin rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Madklown
Madklown rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2014
Brandon Garcia
Brandon Garcia rated it really liked it
May 08, 2015
Ardadi Koshi
Ardadi Koshi rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Gabriela
Gabriela rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Jena
Jena rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2013
Cecilia
Cecilia rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Grant Alter
Grant Alter rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2016
John Pops
John Pops rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Nico Raymond
Nico Raymond rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Chad
Chad rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2007
Antoine Jenkins
Antoine Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Clearly
Clearly rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
  • Batgirl, Vol. 1:  Silent Running
  • Batgirl, Vol. 6: Destruction's Daughter
  • Wonder Woman: Mission's End
  • Gotham City Sirens, Volume 1: Union
  • Nightwing/Huntress (Nightwing Vol. II, #2.5)
  • Green Arrow/Black Canary, Volume 1: The Wedding Album
Charles "Chuck" Dixon is an American comic book writer, perhaps best-known for long runs on Batman titles in the 1990s.

His earliest comics work was writing Evangeline first for Comico Comics in 1984 (then later for First Comics, who published the on-going series), on which he worked with his then-wife, the artist Judith Hunt. His big break came one year later, when editor Larry Hama hired him to w
More about Chuck Dixon...

Birds of Prey, Volume I (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Birds of Prey Vol. 1