Start by marking “An Encyclopaedia of Occultism” as Want to Read:
An Encyclopaedia of Occultism

An Encyclopaedia of Occultism

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This "compendium of information on the occult sciences, occult personalities, psychic science, demonology, spiritism, and mysticism" was one of a kind when it was first published in 1920 and is still considered the best in its field today. Spence organizes a world's worth of magic -- from "Ab" (a magical month in the ancient Semitic calendar) to "Zulu witch-finders" -- int ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Cosimo Classics (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about An Encyclopaedia of Occultism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Encyclopaedia of Occultism

Cwn_annwn_13
This book is exactly what the title says it is. Spences Encyclopedia of Occultism was originally published in the 1920s (I think) so its pre-Crowley, and before new age and UFO stuff was in the mainstream. It was more or less impossible for me to read this cover to cover like I do 95% of what I review before I had to return it to the library but I can't see why anybody with an interest in Occultism wouldn't find this to be a useful resource to have around.
Melissa Cuevas
If you have just one occult book around for research, consider making it this one. If you can luck into the older, hardback and slip covered edition, even better. It looks quite lovely and scholarly on a bookshelf.

It is exactly what it claims to be, an Encyclopedia of the Occult. You name it, it's probably got a listing in this work.
Jedidiah Gainey
Probably the last major work of occultism not to include Crowley, mainly because Thelema was still nascent when it was released. Valuable for reference to the state of occult knowledge prior to Crowley, as the prevalence of Crowley's opinions and those who have followed has changed the landscape more than we know. Invaluable.
Stephen Wakefield
Indispensable to any student of the occult and esoteric, a real treasure-trove which has served my own studies well and often served as a spring-board to further analyses/cogitations.
Aaron Meyer
I highly useful resource of everything occult. I have been using mine for 25 years.
Sidney Schwartz
A wonderful reference book on many aspects of psychic phenomena.
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Monique Jackson
Monique Jackson marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Wesley Durbin
Wesley Durbin marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Lada
Lada marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Pamela Stricker
Pamela Stricker marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Andy
Andy added it
Oct 26, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
S. H.
S. H. marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Anotherelham
Anotherelham marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Liza
Liza marked it as to-read
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Lauretta
Lauretta marked it as to-read
Kathryn Love
Kathryn Love marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Kadie Drake
Kadie Drake is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Ashish Johny kurishingal
Ashish Johny kurishingal marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
&&&
&&& marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
R.Bruce Macdonald
R.Bruce Macdonald is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends The Myths of Mexico and Peru The History of Atlantis The Myths of the North American Indians The Magic Arts in Celtic Britain