Start by marking “The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #6)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #6)

The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #6)

Dame Cecile Savoy's "revolting floor mop" of a Pekinese has passed away at a ripe old age. Now, the aging British actress convinces her rivals on stage and screen, Trixie and Evangeline, to support her in her hour of accompanying her to a taxidermist. But it's a cab ride straight to a cat-astrope! No sooner do the three elderly thespians enter "Stuff Yours" than ...more
Published November 30th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog

Dec 18, 2014 Gerald rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimi, katzen, tauschen
Obwohl ich Katzenfreund bin, bot diese Geschichte nur sehr laue Unterhaltung. Der erste Krimi, den ich gelesen habe, bei dem sich der Fall ohne jegliches aktives Zutun der Protagonisten auflöste. Bei den Hauptfiguren selbst handelt es sich neben der Katze um Damen fortgeschrittenen Alters aus dem englischen Schauspielermilieu, die alle einen ähnlich unerträglichen egozentrischen Charakter aufweisen und somit als Identifikationsfiguren komplett ungeeignet sind, es sei denn, man gehört vielleicht ...more
Dec 13, 2012 Carolin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dieses Buch in einem Wort: holterdipolter.

Das Besondere an diesem Buch: Das Genre der gemütlichen Krimis mag ich eigentlich sehr gern - und auch hier ist es nicht wirklich blutig geworden, es gab eine Gruppe älterer Damen und knuddelige Haustiere. Die Geschichte rund um die Katze Cho-Cho-San fand ich auch sehr kurzweilig, aaaber:

Das nicht ganz so Atemberaubende an diesem Buch: ...der Rest war mir zu gemütlich. Es gab so viel Drumherum, dass der eigentliche Krimi darüber in Vergessenheit geriet.
Sarah Sammis
Feb 19, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it liked it
I grabbed The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog by Marian Babson while doing a quick walk through of my local library's mystery section. I liked the cover and title. The book is actually the last of the Trixie and Evangeline mystery series.

Trixie and Evangeline as far as I can tell are old theater stars like Miss April Spink and Miss Miriam Forcible of Coraline and I have to admit to picturing them in my head like Neil Gaiman's pair. While trying to get Dame Cecile Savoy's Pekinese stuffed at a local taxider
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Sep 09, 2012 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
This novel is short and filled with our sleuths, Evangeline, Trixie, Taxi-Cab Driver, Eddie and long suffering daughter, Martha. In this edition, Evangeline and Trixie heed the call of actress Dame Cecile to rush to Brighton upon the death of her cat, Fleur De Lys.

As Dame Cecile wails (literally,) our intrepid duo find themselves off to a taxidermist, "Stuff Yours." Eddie doesn't like the place and rightly so as they find themselves at the sight of a murder and in the midst of an arson attack. T
After a promising start this rather petered out.

In the first chapter Trixie saves a live cat from the shop of a taxidermist who is lying there dead. A few chapters later another person is found dead in the house of a fellow actress. Nothing much is done about either corpse, at least not by Trixie and Evangeline, who are supposed to be thespian sleuths and the stars of the series.

Instead, there is a lot of playing with the cat, cooking and trying out recipes, and going to the theatre. The story j
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
I like Babson's story ideas, which are a bit more unusual than many of the murder mysteries I've read this year. I find her writing less polished than that of many other authors in this genre, and the resolution in this novel emerges out of the blue rather than developing gradually out of clues the reader could use to figure out the mystery when the sleuth does. The characters are a bit flat, too, and have the sort of crazy fake names that make them all seem less realistic. I'd give this book a ...more
Dec 30, 2010 Sarah rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Naja. Ich dachte eigentlich, das sei ein Krimi, aber man bekommt am Anfang eine Leiche präsentiert, dann kümmern sich alle fast das ganze Buch über nicht mehr darum und am Ende wird plötzlich alles aufgeklärt. Dass die Katze mehr weiß, als die menschlichen Protagonisten, erfährt man auch erst relativ zum Schluss. Vom Schmunzelfaktor habe ich auch nicht sonderlich viel mitbekommen. Also ich fand das Buch nicht so toll.
Jul 11, 2008 Sallie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Yesterday I needed a light, funny mystery to read, so I plucked this book off my door book holder. I LOVE Marian Babson's books! The mystery isn't a challenge to figure out, but her characters are so funny and wonderful to read about, and her books are always page turners for me.
Diane Heath
Mar 16, 2014 Diane Heath rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is book #6 in a series involving Trixie and Evangeline. An old friend and fellow actress has lost her pet dog and wants to have it stuffed. However, when Evangeline and Trixie arrive at the taxidermist, they find a dead body and a live cat. Things escalate from that point onward.
May 15, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trixie and Evangeline are back in fine form. This time they are helping a friend of Evangelines take her dog to the taxidermist when they discover the body of the owner, the place is set on fire and Trixie rescues a very much alive cat. Lots of humor though the murderer is fairly obvious.
Aug 05, 2016 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was a fun mystery. I thought I picked the murderer early (and I was right), but the adventure to get to the end was engaging. Nothing serious or heavy, just a good, fun read. I'm sorry this was the last in the series, because the characters are such fun.
May 06, 2008 Monica rated it liked it
I really enjoy light mysteries, and Marian Babson's cat books fit the bill. You won't figure out whodunit, but just sit back with a cup of tea and enjoy the atmosphere. ***I have read other books of hers, but have found them slightly more disturbing and less fun than the ones that feature cats.
Wilma Hashii
Jul 04, 2014 Wilma Hashii rated it really liked it
Fun read. if you are looking for a serious mystery, this isn't it. A quick read with lots of humor.
Jul 29, 2014 Margaret rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The book, and plot, may have been as overblown as its theatrical inspirations, but it was entertaining to read and emotionally satisfying.
Jul 13, 2014 Vykki rated it really liked it
Shelves: enchanting
What a wonderful book this was a rip roaring ride, add elderly actresses and you have great English cozy. This was a wonderful book and I recommend this to everyone.
Katharine Holden
Kept my attention, had some good lines, made me laugh, and the cat stuff is fun but not cloying. Can't ask more than that from a light mystery.
Dec 24, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I enjoy Marian Babson very much, the epitome of "British Cozy" mysteries. This one follows two aging film stars and is just funny (which is an odd way to describe a murder mystery, but still!)
Mar 01, 2011 Joan rated it it was amazing
I liked the feisty old ladies best. The animals don't talk and the mystery wasn't that complicated either but the ole ladies were funny.
Apr 12, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
Different from my other mysteries I read. This revolves around stage actors so it was fun to learn about that and of course a cat is involved so I loved that. Will read more of these.
Karen rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Jina rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2014
Schneehase rated it did not like it
May 15, 2013
MiddleSister rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Pat rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2011
Ati rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2010
Christine rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2012
Tracy Elizabeth
Nov 17, 2009 Tracy Elizabeth rated it liked it
Recommends it for: To gossipy old biddies who like a good mystery... hee hee.
Recommended to Tracy Elizabeth by: Nellie
I was charmed by these nosy thespian ladies turned mystery solvers. Thanks mom.
Shelly Bratcher
Shelly Bratcher rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Denise rated it really liked it
May 14, 2008
Susan rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Mum's the Word (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3)
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • The Herring in the Library
  • The Test Book
  • Mulch
  • Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)
  • Murder Fantastical (Inspector Henry Tibbett Mystery, #8)
  • Imaginary Men
  • The Almshouse
  • Death's Autograph (Dido Hoare, #1)
  • A Cat in Wolf's Clothing (Alice Nestleton Mystery #3)
  • A Soldier's Best Friend: The canine heroes of Afghanistan
  • The Simplicity of Stillness Method: 3 Steps to Rewire Your Brain, and Access Your Highest Potential
  • The Making of Henry
  • Banking on Death (John Putnam Thatcher, #1)
  • Going Out In Style (Dallas O'Connor Mystery, #1)
  • Dark Coulee (Claire Watkins, #2)
Marian Babson, a pseudonym for Ruth Stenstreem, was born in Salem, Massachusetts, but has lived in London for the greater part of her life.

She has worked as a librarian; managed a campaign headquarters; been a receptionist, secretary, and den mother to a firm of commercial artists; and was co-editor of a machine knitting magazine, despite the fact that she can’t knit, even with two needles.

A lon
More about Marian Babson...

Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery (7 books)
  • Reel Murder (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #1)
  • Encore Murder (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #2)
  • Shadows in Their Blood (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #3)
  • Even Yuppies Die (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #4)
  • Break a Leg, Darlings (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #5)
  • No Cooperation from the Cat: A Mystery (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #7)