Start by marking “The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #6)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #6)

The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #6)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Dame Cecile Savoy's "revolting floor mop" of a Pekinese has passed away at a ripe old age. Now, the aging British actress convinces her rivals on stage and screen, Trixie and Evangeline, to support her in her hour of grief...by accompanying her to a taxidermist. But it's a cab ride straight to a cat-astrope! No sooner do the three elderly thespians enter "Stuff Yours" than ...more
Published November 30th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog

Gerald
Obwohl ich Katzenfreund bin, bot diese Geschichte nur sehr laue Unterhaltung. Der erste Krimi, den ich gelesen habe, bei dem sich der Fall ohne jegliches aktives Zutun der Protagonisten auflöste. Bei den Hauptfiguren selbst handelt es sich neben der Katze um Damen fortgeschrittenen Alters aus dem englischen Schauspielermilieu, die alle einen ähnlich unerträglichen egozentrischen Charakter aufweisen und somit als Identifikationsfiguren komplett ungeeignet sind, es sei denn, man gehört vielleicht ...more
Carolin
Dieses Buch in einem Wort: holterdipolter.

Das Besondere an diesem Buch: Das Genre der gemütlichen Krimis mag ich eigentlich sehr gern - und auch hier ist es nicht wirklich blutig geworden, es gab eine Gruppe älterer Damen und knuddelige Haustiere. Die Geschichte rund um die Katze Cho-Cho-San fand ich auch sehr kurzweilig, aaaber:

Das nicht ganz so Atemberaubende an diesem Buch: ...der Rest war mir zu gemütlich. Es gab so viel Drumherum, dass der eigentliche Krimi darüber in Vergessenheit geriet.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This novel is short and filled with our sleuths, Evangeline, Trixie, Taxi-Cab Driver, Eddie and long suffering daughter, Martha. In this edition, Evangeline and Trixie heed the call of actress Dame Cecile to rush to Brighton upon the death of her cat, Fleur De Lys.

As Dame Cecile wails (literally,) our intrepid duo find themselves off to a taxidermist, "Stuff Yours." Eddie doesn't like the place and rightly so as they find themselves at the sight of a murder and in the midst of an arson attack. T
Sarah Sammis
I grabbed The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog by Marian Babson while doing a quick walk through of my local library's mystery section. I liked the cover and title. The book is actually the last of the Trixie and Evangeline mystery series.

Trixie and Evangeline as far as I can tell are old theater stars like Miss April Spink and Miss Miriam Forcible of Coraline and I have to admit to picturing them in my head like Neil Gaiman's pair. While trying to get Dame Cecile Savoy's Pekinese stuffed at a local taxider
Vykki
What a wonderful book this was a rip roaring ride, add elderly actresses and you have great English cozy. This was a wonderful book and I recommend this to everyone.
Wilma Hashii
Fun read. if you are looking for a serious mystery, this isn't it. A quick read with lots of humor.
Margaret
The book, and plot, may have been as overblown as its theatrical inspirations, but it was entertaining to read and emotionally satisfying.
Diane Heath
This is book #6 in a series involving Trixie and Evangeline. An old friend and fellow actress has lost her pet dog and wants to have it stuffed. However, when Evangeline and Trixie arrive at the taxidermist, they find a dead body and a live cat. Things escalate from that point onward.
Naja. Ich dachte eigentlich, das sei ein Krimi, aber man bekommt am Anfang eine Leiche präsentiert, dann kümmern sich alle fast das ganze Buch über nicht mehr darum und am Ende wird plötzlich alles aufgeklärt. Dass die Katze mehr weiß, als die menschlichen Protagonisten, erfährt man auch erst relativ zum Schluss. Vom Schmunzelfaktor habe ich auch nicht sonderlich viel mitbekommen. Also ich fand das Buch nicht so toll.
Monica
I really enjoy light mysteries, and Marian Babson's cat books fit the bill. You won't figure out whodunit, but just sit back with a cup of tea and enjoy the atmosphere. ***I have read other books of hers, but have found them slightly more disturbing and less fun than the ones that feature cats.
Rachel
Trixie and Evangeline are back in fine form. This time they are helping a friend of Evangelines take her dog to the taxidermist when they discover the body of the owner, the place is set on fire and Trixie rescues a very much alive cat. Lots of humor though the murderer is fairly obvious.
Sallie
Yesterday I needed a light, funny mystery to read, so I plucked this book off my door book holder. I LOVE Marian Babson's books! The mystery isn't a challenge to figure out, but her characters are so funny and wonderful to read about, and her books are always page turners for me.
Lynn
This was a fun mystery. I thought I picked the murderer early (and I was right), but the adventure to get to the end was engaging. Nothing serious or heavy, just a good, fun read. I'm sorry this was the last in the series, because the characters are such fun.
Katharine Holden
Kept my attention, had some good lines, made me laugh, and the cat stuff is fun but not cloying. Can't ask more than that from a light mystery.
Joan
I liked the feisty old ladies best. The animals don't talk and the mystery wasn't that complicated either but the ole ladies were funny.
Jenny Schwartz
I adore the Trixie and Evangeline series. A must read if you love cozy mysteries.
Tracy Elizabeth
Nov 17, 2009 Tracy Elizabeth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To gossipy old biddies who like a good mystery... hee hee.
Recommended to Tracy Elizabeth by: Nellie
I was charmed by these nosy thespian ladies turned mystery solvers. Thanks mom.
Katalin
Not bad at all, but it doesn't make me want to read M. Babson again.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 01, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
typical English fair
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Lancegood
Lancegood marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Allison Rasa
Allison Rasa marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Catgirl (in Perth)
Catgirl (in Perth) marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Martina Kopel
Martina Kopel marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Marian Babson, a pseudonym for Ruth Stenstreem, was born in Salem, Massachusetts, but has lived in London for the greater part of her life.

She has worked as a librarian; managed a campaign headquarters; been a receptionist, secretary, and den mother to a firm of commercial artists; and was co-editor of a machine knitting magazine, despite the fact that she can’t knit, even with two needles.

A lon
More about Marian Babson...
Canapes for the Kitties The Twelve Deaths Of Christmas Only the Cat Knows Please Do Feed the Cat The Company of Cats