Start by marking “Winnie-the-Pooh” as Want to Read:
Winnie-the-Pooh

Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh #1)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  192,387 Ratings  ·  2,391 Reviews
Come with us to an Enchanted Place, a forest where Winnie-the-Pooh lived with Piglet, Rabbit, Owl, Eeyore, Kanga, and Little Roo. The stories are about Christopher Robin and these good companions having wonderful times getting in and out of trouble. It is all very exciting and, really, quite thrilling no matter how young or old you may be. It is painful to try and imagine ...more
Published 1961 by E. P. Dutton & Co. (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about Winnie-the-Pooh, please sign up.

Bodhi Looks like it's not a direct quote (from a little research). It's poetically strung together from a series of ideas in the last scene in the second…moreLooks like it's not a direct quote (from a little research). It's poetically strung together from a series of ideas in the last scene in the second book, The House at Pooh Corner. I guess it was made as some sort of "greeting card" blurb and was so touching, it spread all over the place. (congrats to whoever that author is). Christopher Robin asks Pooh to promise to never forget about him, then they go off together, but it says they will always be playing there…(less)
Bodhi I think the first book should be read first as the characters are still taking shape in the author's mind and they are properly introduced here.

Paul Bryant
Winnie-the-Pooh, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Win-knee-the-Pooh: the tip of the lip taking a trip of three steps down the palate to return at four to kiss : Pooh. He was Pooh, plain Pooh, in the morning, standing eighteen inches in one sock. He was that scruffy old bear at school. He was Mr Winnie Pooh on the dotted line. But in my arms he was always Bear.
Manny
In which the animals meet a Hostile Reviewer, and Pooh invents a New Breakfast

One morning, Pooh and Piglet were walking through the Hundred Acre Wood, when they spied a strange Creature lying on the ground. As they got closer, they could see that it looked a bit like a very large Boy. But what was most remarkable was that someone had tied it down with hundreds of tiny ropes. It could hardly move a finger, and there was even something tied over its mouth.

"Mmf!" said the creature in a loud but rat
Petra X
I got four matching hardback books today:

When We Were Very Young
Now We Are Six
Winnie-the-Pooh and
The House at Pooh Corner.

I was going to put some ribbon around them and sell them as a set, but I got lost in reading The King's Breakfast (and loving Shepard's illustrations) aloud. I don't really want to sell the book now. I want to have kiddies come into the shop and on the pretext of perhaps making a sale from the parents reading the poems aloud. Most of the parents won't be impressed though, the
Summer
The Winnie the Pooh books are great because everyone has some sort of problem. Pooh is painfully naïve, Piglet is neurotic, Owl is a narcissist, Eeyore has major depression, Tigger is hyperactive, Rabbit is a sociopath, and Kanga needs to spend an afternoon with The Feminine Mystique. It's good for kids to learn that pretty much anyone you meet will have some sort of major problem.

Mariel
Oct 06, 2011 Mariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Winnie's poo
Recommended to Mariel by: Eeyore's hot tail
Celebrity Death Match versus Heart of Darkness.
Dear Christopher Robin,
Your father and I miss you but we feel that it would be best if you spent the remainder of the summer at camp, as previously agreed. You quit the boy scouts, band and your newspaper route to spend more time with those... things. Really, my son, you are much too told to play with... stuffed animals. To think, all my friends in the bridge meetings have all-star athlete sons and honor roll daughters to brag about. I have Christop
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

My baby son is six months old and as part of his bedtime routine we're reading him stories. I
Jason Koivu
Dec 19, 2012 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: childrens book lovers and gun nuts
Recommended to Jason by: yo momma...no wait, i think it was my momma
Shelves: fiction
Pooh gets shot for godsake! I don't remember that in the version that was read to me as a child! What I recall were the sweet, pastoral tales of human-like animals living semi-silly existences in their quaint village-esque neighborhood in the woods. I liked Pooh, his muddled world view and convoluted logic, and Piglet's utter meekness had its charm, however Tigger was mah boy! He was my favorite character in the book and coincidentally my favorite ornament on my family's christmas tree. Reading ...more
Jonnie
Jan 30, 2016 Jonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I think of Winnie-the-Pooh, I think of an incredibly sweet melancholy. Like, A.A Milne is not allowed to make me feel these feels in the form of a children's story book!

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you."

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”

“You can't stay i
Bryce Wilson
Jun 16, 2008 Bryce Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-lit, children
It's tough to read something this perfect and pure without feeling a bit like Milton's Satan, dismayed by just how far from true innocence and grace I've fallen.

Saoirse T. E. Sterling
Read as part of the #InfiniteVariety2016 Reading Challenge based on the BBC's Big Read poll.

Winnie-the-Pooh is such an English Treasure, it seems impossible that I had never read it before, not in my childhood or in my adulthood. However, being English means that I already know all about Pooh Bear, his friends and that most treasured English-childhood past-time of Pooh Sticks.

It was so charming and written so well, but I found it really didn't go anywhere. I wish I had read it as a child because
Tolstoy
Oct 28, 2011 Tolstoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Celebrity deathmatch review in which Winnie the Pooh wins.

I know some here think I am unnecessarily wordy, so let me get straight to the point. Hamlet sucks.

[Editor's note to these recently discovered papers. Tolstoy tries really REALLY hard to leave it at that, but he can't. And thus Tolstoy continues...]

As I wrote some time ago now:

None of Shakespeare’s characters shows, in such a striking fashion, the playwright’s - I don’t want to say inability—complete disregard for proper characterization
·Karen·
Oct 14, 2011 ·Karen· rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Celebrity Death Match Quarter Final

The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh versus Mary Poppins

BANKS FAMILY EXPRESS SHOCK AT NEW REVELATIONS IN POPPINS CASE

London, Friday 14th October 2011

The Banks family have expressed their 'deep disappointment' at new discoveries in the Poppins corruption scandal. 'We just can't understand it' a tearful Mrs Banks said to reporters yesterday. 'She always looked as if butter would not melt in her mouth. It's hard to believe that she was working against t
Amanda
Feb 21, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

This book was so lovely. So, so sosososo wonderful.
I used to watch the Swedish versions of Winne-the-Pooh when I was younger, but it was not until now I decided to read the book. It is of course very enjoyable for children but I love how I could, as a teenager (or hopefully soon-to-be-adult), enjoy it to a very high extent.
I was very enthralled by A.A. Milne's way of telling this story and I thought it to be very funny, but at times also very serious and thought provokin
Michael Kneeland
Upon seeing my five-star rating of Winnie-the-Pooh via my Facebook feed, my sister made the following comment: "The originals were depressing. I prefer Disney's cuddly version." I made the following response, which I think sums up my feelings about this wonderful classic children's book:

One day, Pooh and Piglet were walking through the Hundred Acre Wood when they came upon a Facebook Comment. "The originals were depressing," it read. "I prefer Disney's cuddly version."

"Th-th-that's a v-v-very b-
notgettingenough
Oct 29, 2011 notgettingenough rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Celebrity Death Match review in which Hamlet and Winnie demonstrate their people skills in a job interview at a secondhand car lot.

Who would YOU buy a used car from?

or

Miss Ravi
Jan 19, 2016 Miss Ravi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
When I was a kid, my older sister had a version of "winne the pooh" with lots of beautiful illustrations but she don’t let me to turn the pages of it. However I exactly remember all of those images of pooh, rabbit, baby Roo and Christopher robin. All of those characters had many amazing adventures in the book and just a honey jar made pooh happy. I think that "winne the pooh" says to its readers of any ages: live and enjoy!
Kiwi
Jan 11, 2016 Kiwi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic for the very young. The original illustrations by Ernest H. Shephard are adorable. 3.5 stars
NGE's Brother
Nov 19, 2011 NGE's Brother rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Divine Comedy vs Winnie the Pooh Celebrity Death Match review because my sister was so sad that Pooh is not in the lead.

Really, of course, this is no contest; although I can understand the misguided believing there is a genuine argument here.

The trouble is the prism of time in which we are reviewing these additions to literature. One has been around for 700 years and the other for a mere 70. The genuine question that needs to be answered is: which of these works will still be considered impo
Anna Banana
Oct 22, 2015 Anna Banana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having to read these stories for my college class has been so much fun. I never got to read any of the fairytales or children's stories when I was younger and I kind of feel like I've been missing out.

Pooh and the gang are so adorable and I love everything about this book. I now have the urge to watch the show (which I've never seen before). Are there movies too? After 21 years, I'm finally a fan of Winnie the Pooh (lol)!
Jasmine
Oct 08, 2010 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
okay, so recently I've had a problem with children's books. Children specifically not even teen. They seemed too simple, and even if well plotted poorly written. I was at a basic point where I was willing to assume I had been wrong and no children's book was actually all that good.

and then I had a really bad day. customers were jerks and ten minutes after the store opened I was already being complained about. Karen was gone no one was really on the floor for much of the midday. We are talking s
Gonçalo
Feb 02, 2016 Gonçalo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
It's a special book. Really liked it :)
Bagger
Feb 18, 2008 Bagger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winnie The Pooh, the philosopher of my childhood, and dare I say quite a few other people.
You can't go wrong with Winnie, Piglet and all the other friends in the 100 Acre Wood.
Which speaking of Piglet, it was ten years later before I realized he was a little pig, he was just Piglet to me, which just shows how great these characters are, its like Stuart Little you never think of him as a mouse, he's just Stuart, its the same way with the characters of Winnie The Pooh, this has some things to do w
Travelin
Sep 08, 2014 Travelin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First time reading this. I read the Tao of Pooh first for some bizarre reason. This and Hans Christian Andersen seem to be children's stories an adult can enjoy.

Really surprised at some of the comic twists in the writing. Not sure an animated version could ever do justice to the telling. The original illustrations make the landscape look like spare Asian brush strokes blurred by rain. Maybe that's the English gorse Thomas Hardy was always murmuring about.

It was very nice to have all story and no
Stephen
Aug 15, 2010 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
4.0 stars. One of my favorites growing up (at least until I discovered comic books). As with most Children's book, I enjoyed them even more when I finally got to read them to my daughters.
Kevin Cole
May 23, 2014 Kevin Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you don't like Winnie-the-Pooh, I want you to go away.
Forrest
Sep 14, 2012 Forrest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I don't know how I managed to get through all of childhood (not to mention a few decades of adulthood) without ever having read Winnie-the-Pooh, but there it is.

And I had feared it was too late for me now, that the charms of Pooh, Piglet, Christopher Robin et al. would elude my middle-aged eyes, their adventures too childish to be appreciated by a mind battered and hardened by harsh reality. Oh, how wrong I was.

It's wonderful.

Glorious.

A jewel.

Winnie-the-Pooh captured my heart from the first pag
Erik
Nov 17, 2011 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Celebrity Deathmatch FINAL

A blustery day. Christopher Robin is on his way to work at the London office of Goldman Sachs. He is troubled about his employers and their crooked business practices, but he has been told to remain silent and he will be rich as long as he does nothing.

Occupy London Protestor: Hey, Chris, wakeup, you're on the wrong side!

Christopher (to himself): Oh, those scraggly protestors, I wish they would just get a job already...I wonder what Pooh would say about all this.

In
Nikki
I hardly know what to say about Winnie-the-Pooh. I have a lot of memories tied up in it that I couldn't help thinking of as I read it (including one unpleasant one where as a bitty little girl, I read in bed with the massive complete collection book, and had it on my stomach, and began to feel very queasy...). In some ways it seems much funnier now I'm an adult and understand the wordplay and the remarks that are made at the expense of the characters.

I love the illustrations, too -- they're perf
Daphne
Who doesn't love Winnie the Pooh?

Goodreads Librari...: Winnie-the-Pooh 12 81 Jun 05, 2015 08:56AM
funny kids 1 28 May 23, 2014 04:41AM
friends 4 60 Oct 20, 2013 02:47AM
Seeking Best Audio book CD Player for aging technophobe 5 51 Oct 31, 2011 12:55PM
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
  • The Children of Noisy Village
  • The Velveteen Rabbit
  • The Steadfast Tin Soldier
  • One Morning in Maine
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac
More about A.A. Milne...

Winnie-the-Pooh (4 books)
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)

“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.” 7749 likes
“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” 7644 likes