Start by marking “The Mystery of the Fire Dragon (Nancy Drew, #38)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Fire Dragon (Nancy Drew, #38)

The Mystery of the Fire Dragon (Nancy Drew #38)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  3,344 ratings  ·  43 reviews
For cliffhanging suspense and thrilling action read THE NANCY DREW MYSTERY STORIES-the worlds most popular mystery series for young readers! Millions of fans have matched wits with Nancy Drew, helping her solve more than fifty baffling cases.
Published January 1st 1961 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Fire Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Fire Dragon

John Yelverton
Yet another great addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Connie N.
This is the first Nancy Drew book I've read as an adult, and I enjoyed it very much. The writing is fast-paced and interesting, and the mystery was entertaining. I was impressed with Keene's ability to make the mystery somewhat believable (certainly on a YA level), but it was amusing to read that the police went all-out to help Nancy solve the crime, even calling her with updates and allowing her to join them on searches and tails of suspects. There were an amazing amount of details that were si ...more
Melanie
Ned Nickerson is studying Chinese culture? Since when? Since The Leaning Chimney book?
Aunt Eloise(!) in NYC has a Chinese-themed mystery (nothing AT ALL to do with a Fire Dragon, though there are fireworks and a few references to dragons as Chinese legend) which conveniently leads Nancy and B&G to Hong Kong, where they were planning on going anyway. Not sure exactly who is paying for this but it sounds like Aunt Eloise picked up the tab. George masquerades as a Chinese girl, but apparently n
Phe☽♃
The Mystery of the Fire Dragon is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 38th book in the Nancy Drew series.

When Nancy Drew begins to investigate the disappearance of a young lady, she and her friends are drawn into the intrigue and danger of a smuggling ring that leads them from New York City to Hong Kong.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from
Tabi34
Think 1950s when you read this book, although it was written in 1960. So much of the material is dated. Nancy is busy tracking down a kidnapped girl and her journeys take her to Hong Kong. When this book was written, Hong Kong was still part of the British Empire. Ned, who is studying there, gives the girls a quick lesson in the history of politics there. Some of the language is dated - meaning it isn't politically correct today.

What amazes me is the language with which these books are written.
Mallory G.
For my goodreads I read The Mystery of the Fire Dragon. This book was a thrilling mystery about a Chinese girl named Chi Che Soong, who was kidnapped. As the story continues,Nancy Drew, George Fayne, and Bess Marvin were staying with her Aunt Eloise in her apartment. Chi Che and her grandfather lived next door to them.
One night, a man came into the Soong’s apartment,and as he shoved Grandpa Soong to the ground, the man stole his manuscript and left. Grandpa Soong at this point, had to be chec
Eric Wood
This book wasnt good. The writing was awkward, the story dragged on and on, and there were some parts in the book that i found hard to believe like george looking exactly like a Chinese girl(Really?). there was also little action and it was a bit confusing. So overall this book deserves two stars
Hillary Klenk
A.
To be honest, I just a whole bunch of Nancy Drew books, and I don't actually remember which one it was in, but so many of them had similar content that I'll just put it here: Why can't they be nicer to Bess? There were so many times when they actually told her to stop eating so much or she'd never have a man fall in love with her. Or that she was too fat, at which statement every one laughed, Bess blushed, and put down her cookie, and everyone acted like that was an ok way for friends to act. Ag ...more
Ak
I really liked this book. Nancy drew has really gotten me into reading and stuff so, I owe it to Carolyn Keene. She did an amazing job creating the story, the characters, everything. I think she did an exceptional job on the mystery part because it really makes you think. They make you want to keep reading it.

The character, nancy. I'd always thought she was so cool. I meal who else runs around solving mysteries? She was nice, smart and a great role model. I have to say, I love nancy drew, I alw
Wendy
Nancy Drew is always a great read just before falling asleep!
LuAnn
Oh my, some people take these books too seriously in the reviews! They are mystery stories for kids, this one written in 1961, so of course it's dated and such! That's part of the fun, before Hong Kong and it's people started to look and act like all other large cities in the world. It's a typical, face-paced Nancy Drew Mystery with whirl-wind trips to New York City and Hong Kong, a used bookstore, a great masquerade by George as a young Chinese woman, not once but twice and a rescue by the Flee ...more
Laurel
Take a trip to Hong Kong with Nancy Drew and her friends. Written before cultural awareness was encouraged, the story mixes Japanese and Chinese customs. In a risque moment for the series, Ned actually kisses all three girls. George Fayne, a tomboy, gets to dress up as an Asian woman; for Nancy Drew fans, this makes it a comedy. Nancy's aunt, Eloise Drew, adds some grounding and desperately needed reality to the story. I enjoyed my escape from the dental chair with an adventure across the world.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Kathleen
I was reminded of this book while discussing my brother-in-law's trip to Hong Kong today. And by reminded, I mean that as soon as Laurie finished telling us Matthew's description of transportation in Hong Kong, my aunt said "Everything I know about Hong Kong I learned..." and we finished in unison and with great glee, "...from Nancy Drew!" And the Nancy Drew descriptions really did match what Laurie had been telling us.

I haven't read it in many, many years, but obviously it was memorable. :-)
Miri
Nancy Visits her Aunt Eloise in New York to help her solve the mystery behind the disappearance of her neighbors granddaughter Chi Che Soong. Nancy soon believes Chi Che was kidnapped and is being held prisoner by smugglers!
EveMoon
I remember reading this in elementary school (ten years ago?) and don't remember getting much out of it. It was painfully predictable, yet I didn't find the mystery believable; if I remember correctly, solving it was pretty much all thanks to the fact one of Nancy's friends just happened to look mistakingly similar with the girl they were looking for. Not a very good attempt to twist the overused twins-cliché if you ask me.
Lora
I haven't read a Nancy Drew Mystery in years, and this was just as fun as I remember...allowing for a lot of shuddering over the total non-PC-ness of the story. Nancy Drew goes to New York City, takes Chinatown by storm, flies to Hong Kong and solves a mystery for the police and, presumably, US Customs. Fun, and really silly.
Rachels
The Mystery of the Fire dragon, By Carolyn Keene-Right now Nancy, Bess & George are visiting Aunt Eloise at her appartment in New York,getting more details on a new mystery. The first incidant that happened so far was that there was a firecracker explosion in the hallway of the appartment.
Maggie
Nancy Drew is a dectective and is very good at her job. She travels to New York City to solve the Mystery of the Fire Dragon. Very good read i had to read for a book report and didnt think i would like it but once i started reading it i loved it and couldnt stop.
Stacey
Pretty good book. I like the history lesson that comes with the books. You get a bit of what it was like in the time period the book was written. for instance it mentions the new state capitol of Alaska...Juneau. Was Juno really spelled the French way?
Jessi
Nancy gets pulled into a New York mystery when her Aunt's next door neighbor mysteriously disappears. Luckily, George can pass for the Chinese girl (?) and they use her to figure out that a bookstore has been the front for a smuggling ring.
Joy Gerbode
Another fun and quick read, typical Nancy Drew, getting into one dangerous situation after another and never learning her lesson ... but always "getting her man" in the end. Some fun along the way, and a little Chinese history in this one.
Susan
Ha ha another classic Nancy Drew mystery. Nancy is kidnapped twice and knocked out once. Ned uses the Navy to rescue her lol. You can definitely tell this was written in a different era. There were definitely some wince inducing parts.
Nancye
I have to admit, I love a good old fashioned Nancy Drew book now and then. This one has a mystery that starts in New York and them moves to Hong Kong. There is even more action than usual. Very entertaining and an easy read.
Ashleigh
Either I'm spending more time away from these books and feeling less bombarded by repetition or the series is becoming much more interesting! This book had a pretty good plot and was less like all the others before.
Nikki
Loved the danger and suspense. Nancy found herself in many dangerous predicaments. Reading about Hong Kong was very interesting and how much culture differences have changed.
C
Liz gave E a box of Nancy Drew's. This is our first one. Good, very fun. Not anything great, but kept our attention. E, age 9, found it a bit scary.
Shawnee
Nancy could have used a translator and a sugar-daddy to pay for everything. Holy crow that has to be the most expensive book yet!
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)