Good Girls Don't Get Fat: How Weight Obsession Is Messing Up Our Girls and How We Can Help Them Thrive Despite It

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Based on Dr. Robyn Silverman's groundbreaking research at Tufts University, and filled with searingly honest young voices, Good Girls Don't Get Fat:– Decodes the ripple effects of actions that damage our girls—and provides tools to help stop them.

– Shines light on the positive influence of women who embrace body types of any size—and explains how to model the right behavio...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Harlequin

Jenn
Basic tone: Girls should feel empowered by WHO they are, not by how much they weigh. Which is true. And valid. And I so wish girls would believe it when they hear it, which is what this book seems to recommend. Just tell them and they'll know it-- unfortunately, that's not always the case. And this book doesn't deal with that aspect.
Cynthia Armistead
Oct 23, 2010 Cynthia Armistead rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
This book is absolutely amazing, and I strongly recommend it to everyone.

Yes, I said everyone. If you are a human being who is reading this post/review, you live in a first-world society and you interact with females. You will benefit from a greater understanding of what modern social standards do to young females and how they shape us for the rest of our lives, how they twist us into disordered thinking that touches absolutely everything we do, from how we think about ourselves to our personal...more
Lisa
I hate to give this book two stars, because I wholeheartedly believe in the message (the book is subtitled "How Weight Obsession Is Messing Up Our Girls and How We Can Help Them Thrive Despite It"), but I can't justify giving it any higher a rating. This was like an extended magazine article, or a pithy self-help book (there's even a little quiz at the end of each chapter), and all the while, I thought, "My goodness, she got a PhD for this research?!?"

Things mothers say to their daughters about...more
Maria
Not very good at all, but well-intentioned. Having silly clubs named The Sassy Sisterhood Girls Circle and telling your daughter to repeat positive affirmations will not change anything about how teenage girls feel about their body. This world is obsessed with body-image and it's going to take a lot more than Dr. Silverman's shallow advice to make any positive change.
Satia
This book left me feeling defeated and hopeless about the problem young girls face but the resources at the back of the book make up for the rest. Borrow this from the library, read the list of recommendations in each chapter and skip to the resources in the back. For more:

Ariadna73
Nothing new. Maybe the only interesting thing would be the transcription of some tips and tricks to fool the family and friends and pretend to eat while the person is fasting. Not a very good take home if the spirit of the book was to teach how to have healthier eating habits and not the contrary.
Deb
*Exit out of the weight obsession maze*

If you're a parent, teacher, or a relative of an adolescent girl, you'll likely find this book to be an incredibly valuable resource for breaking out of the weight-obsession maze that traps so many young women today. Packed with up-to-date information, real-life stories, and well-organized tips and suggestions, this book offers a clear approach for helping young women thrive.

We're all too aware of the toxic messages young women are bombarded with on a dail...more
Taryn Brittany
As someone who struggled with disordered eating in my teen years, I was really interested in reading this book. I think the author did a wonderful job of the impact that parents, friends, and others can have on a girl's body image. The chapter on a girl's inner body bully sheds light onto what goes on inside the head of a weight-obsessed young girl. Several interviews with different girls also give insight into their feelings about themselves and their weight.

I recommended this book to anyone w...more
Ana Mardoll
Good Girls Don't Get Fat / 978-0-373-89220-4

I was pleased to receive this book from NetGalley for review; I'm a strong believer in HAES (Health At Every Size), and this book is exactly the sort of valuable study that can benefit parents hoping to raise happy, healthy daughters who are not constantly encumbered by the "skinny or else!" messages that bombard them constantly.

Broken into nine chapters, "Good Girls Don't Get Fat" explores the potentially near-constant sources of criticism and denigra...more
Dorothea
Definitely worth a read for mothers of daughters, but also for women who want to educate their sons on what NOT to say to their sisters or other girls. So much damage is done in jest or without even realizing what you are doing/saying. This book also features a good section for teachers. I did skim read a lot of it, but it's something I want to revisit as my daughter gets older. We have already dealt with the "am I fat" question and she is only 7! The back of the book has a huge section of other...more
Barbara
I was disturbed when my then 7-year-old daughter in 2nd grade came home from school talking about girls who "dieted" and girls who were "really skinny" versus just "average". I was truly appalled that body image and weight issues were already creeping into these sweet girls' lives. I read this book hoping to gain some insight into the problem and tips on how to deal with these issues as they come up. I am always horrifed when I hear other mothers talking about their own body image and weight iss...more
Jocelyn
This book tackles a really important issue, and was fascinating to read while working on an inpatient unit for teens with eating disorders. I only gave it three stars because I felt it could have gone a lot deeper into the subject matter, but it was a quick read that definitely hit home and made me think. This is totally worth the brief time commitment for anyone raising a daughter (dads and moms), and the 2 chapters on the influence of teachers and peers at school are worthwhile for the educato...more
Jim
If you look in the mirror and hear negative voices, this book is for you. If you look at your kids and all you notice is their physical state, this book is for you. If you are a husband, wife, father, mother, sister, brother, aunt, uncle or TEACHER, this book is for you.

GGDGF challenges our society's obsession with appearance to look at the impacts on, primarily, teenage girls, both past and present, in the form of eating disorders, low self esteem and as the targets of constant unpardonable mar...more
Carmen
Very interesting read. Makes me sad as to the direction of society with regards to the female body. We need to spread the thought process that as long as we are healthy...every shape is beautiful.
Kaye
Silverman's book is a good tool for those who are parenting (or going to parent) daughters. She offers some good suggestions for how to approach your girls on the subject of self-esteem, and how to provide a healthy food model without any smack of dieting or censure. The father's role also gets an entire chapter. An additional bonus is a nice bibliography section with suggested books and websites that model a healthy attitude.
Darcy
On a whim I picked this book up when I walked by it on the shelf. I think the topic is one that more women need to read, especially if they have daughters. The message is a great one, with stories from young girls, teens, and older women. It is surprising how an off hand remark can make a big impact, often time bad.
Nicole
Everyone who knows a girl from the ages of two to twenty five should read this book, which is to say everyone. Powerful, sometimes painfully so, this book gives not only statistics, but gives tools to help the girls in your life maintain a healthy body image and stand up to our thin-obsessed culture.
Tiffany
Sep 24, 2012 Tiffany rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mothers of girls
If you have a daughter, I highly suggest reading this book. Mothers shape how their daughters think and feel about their bodies and this book was a helpful guide about what and what not to say to girls - also what and what not to say about yourself and food. It's also a good book for educators to read.
Chibi
While I don't have kids, this is definitely a good read for parents of girls (or prospective parents) OR boys.

(It did help me realize that some of my issues where my body/self-esteem are concerned are valid based on the messages and examples I had.)
Colleenish
This book takes on the issue of weight and how our society's focus on it hurts girls. It wasn't really anything that I didn't know. One of its best parts is the list of tons of resources for families to raise strong girls.
Gabriel
Insightful look at an alarming issue. More anecdotes than studies and stats, but still convincing. Long on diagnosis, but short on solutions in my opinion. Self-esteem and self-confidence are results, not recipes.
Heidi
This book was outstanding. I got it from the library but am considering buying a copy just to have as a reference. Great real life solutions to improving the body image of our girls.
Libbet
Jul 02, 2012 Libbet rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
If you are a woman, are a parent of a daughter, or ever work with / interact with other people's daughters, you should read this book.
Lisa
I found the beginning very poignant for myself personally, and the end very inspiring, though I got kind of bogged down in the middle.
Mandy
A great read as a mom of four school age girls!
Hannah
Nov 03, 2011 Hannah added it
Very Enlightening, to say the least.
Mitali.dosigmail.com
Mitali.dosigmail.com is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014

“Fat-bashing in all its varied forms–criticism, exclusion, shaming, fat talk, self-deprecation, jokes, gossip, bullying–is one of the last acceptable forms of prejudice. From a very young age, before they can walk away or defend themselves, women are taught that they are how they look, not what they do or what they know. (1)” 47 likes
“Women know intuitively when they are being devalued. (121)” 45 likes