Start by marking “My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats” as Want to Read:

After years spent traveling and sampling sweets throughout her native Mexico, celebrated pastry chef Fany Gerson shares the secrets behind her beloved homeland’s signature desserts in this highly personal and authoritative cookbook. Skillfully weaving together the rich histories that inform the country’s diverse culinary traditions, My Sweet Mexico is a delicious journey i ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about My Sweet Mexico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Sweet Mexico

Zaynaz
Jul 15, 2014 Zaynaz rated it it was amazing
I had never given Mexico's confectionary much thought until coming across a review of this book which included a recipe for jamoncillo. Why had I never known about lime flavored fudge before? Or whole candied limes stuffed with coconut? Or crepes smothered in dulce de leche and pecans? Or chocoflan? It was as big of a sweets revelation as walking into an Indian mithai shop was to a slightly younger me.

I've loved flan all my life and here were its compatriots, beautifully photographed, lovingly
Sheri
Jan 01, 2011 Sheri rated it liked it
Not just a cookbook, this book contains stories relating the history of Mexican desserts. These aren't the desserts one would find in a traditional home - the focus is on things you'd find in a shop or restaurant. Probably more of a historical/cultural reference than a cookbook to be used regularly. A lot of the recipes are very involved.
Rachel
Jun 23, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting awhile to get my hands on this one and I'm glad I finally found time to take a look at it. I had read a little bit about Mexican desserts in Rick Bayless's "Fiesta at Rick's" cookbook as well as learning about some in television programs, but nothing this well researched. The book was really well done with history and stories about Mexican desserts in general as well as within each individual section, such as desserts created by nuns, and sometimes little antidotes about the in ...more
Erin
Sep 24, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: recipes
I was looking for a recipe for pan dulce when I came across this book. Picked it up out of curiosity because I've never seen a book about Mexican sweets before; you always get recipes on heavy meaty dishes for Mexico. I've read through this once already and it really got me excited to try making sweet tamales, which sound just really fun.

I haven't managed to actually cook anything from the book yet, though. All the recipes seem like they're going to take a bit more time devotion than I really ha
Samantha
Jan 01, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Love this cookbook -- this is one that I read right through. There are several recipes included that I could never imagine myself actually making (because the ingredients are obscure -- at least where I live -- or because they are too labor intensive), but it was fascinating reading about how these things are made. HOWEVER, there are many recipes that I am dying to try -- chocoflan, coconut-stuffed limes, amazingly colorful and intriguingly fruity-sounding milk fudge. I have read and tried many ...more
Eling
Feb 16, 2012 Eling rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, 2012
This definitely isn't an every day cookbook for me at all, but it's full of all sorts of great information about Mexican ingredients, recipes & culinary history. It's one I'd love to add to my library, as it's totally different from any I've read. Also, the layout & photography are really beautiful and well-done. I would like a few more recipe photos, but I almost always want that, and there were only a few spots where I really thought a photo was truly wanting. Unusual & highly reco ...more
Adriana
Feb 13, 2013 Adriana rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Mouthwatering is the least than can be said about this great book. Not only are some of the best sweets in Mexico presented, explained and deliciously photographed, but the recipes are easy to follow and understand. A couple of the sweets are a bit different than is traditional, but that's understandable as the book is geared mostly to foreign palates.
More than just a cookbook, reading this book felt like I was getting a lesson on Mexican sweets from someone that not only did the research but c
Michele
Jul 20, 2014 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
If you've grown up anywhere close to Mexico or served a mission there, this book will bring all the flavors and smells rushing back to you. Definitely a great compendium of Mexican sweets, but most of the recipes are very involved and time consuming. There are a couple that I want to try (i.e. Arroz con Leche, Avocado ice cream, and the Impossible Flan)... but the rest I'm content to read about.
Melissa
Apr 24, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
This is a gorgeous cookbook with a fair amount of cultural/travel information interspersed with delicious-sounding recipes. My only complaint is that I would have liked to see more photos, particularly since the majority of the recipes are unfamiliar to me, and without a picture, I might be less inclined to give them a try.
Heather
Apr 26, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
I want to bake everything in here. It brings back memories of pastries I sampled while living in Vegas and visiting California. It is a beautiful cookbook with all the sun-infused coloring of Mexico. Perfect for a cold, wintery, waiting for Spring day in Montana.
H
Jun 02, 2012 H rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I bought this book for the pan de elote recipe - which is perfect - but I love it even more for all the tidbits of information about the sweets I have come to know and love while living in DF. And on top of that, the photos are lovely.
Simone
May 02, 2011 Simone rated it it was amazing
In as much as you can read a cookbook, I read this one. . .and wanted to make practically everything! The photography is lovely. I got it from the library, but will likely be making a purchase. ¡Que delicioso!
Janet
Aug 29, 2014 Janet rated it it was ok
My two stars has more to do with the realization that I'm not such a fan of Mexican sweets and less with the content and quality of this book!
Shazia
Feb 12, 2012 Shazia rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, 2012, desserts
Didn't get to make any of the recipes - I decided to quit refined sugars. Maybe someday when I have a reason to make a tres Leche cake.
LGMF
Oct 04, 2011 LGMF rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baking
The tres leches cake is the bomb! I've made it three times. Once with peaches, once with berries and another with mango. YUM.
Tina
Sep 03, 2012 Tina rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
Great guides for ingredients and equipment. Yet, the recipes and skills are beyond my skill level.
Pretty Girls Make Gravy
Aug 08, 2011 Pretty Girls Make Gravy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Beautiful book, with a little history on each entry. Can't wait to try out the recipes!
Sara
Aug 18, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
Fany Gerson makes some of the prettiest cookbooks I have ever seen. Also, delicious. :)
Radym
Dec 29, 2011 Radym rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookery
The go-to book for Mexican sweets. Very easy-to-understand recipes and beautiful photos.
Katie
Oct 19, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook-food
This is a fabulous cookbook! So many amazing looking treats.
Beka
Feb 05, 2013 Beka rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Not as good as her paletas book but well researched.
Jake
Aug 25, 2013 Jake rated it it was amazing
a bit too advanced for me overall, but I learned a lot.
Apr 08, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nutrition
Gorgeous photos. Now I'm hungry.
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
andre
andre marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Sarah Hurley
Sarah Hurley marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
April
April rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Angie Cain
Angie Cain marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
  • Oaxaca Al Gusto: An Infinite Gastronomy
  • Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Japanese Hot Pots: Family Style Comfort Foods
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home: 52 Quick Meals to Cook for Family and Friends
  • I Love Macarons
  • Thai Street Food
  • Great Scandinavian Baking Book
  • Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico
  • The Craft of Baking: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets with Ideas for Inventing Your Own
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland