Start by marking “The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who... #7)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who... #7)

The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (The Cat Who... #7)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  5,805 ratings  ·  162 reviews
There's something rotten in the small town of Pickax - at least to the sensitive noses of newspaperman Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese cats Koko and Yum Yum. An accident has claimed the life of the local paper's eccentric publisher, but to Qwilleran and his feline friends it smells like murder. They soon sniff out a shocking secret, but Koko's snooping into an unusual editio ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 249 pages
Published June 1st 1988 by Jove (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare

Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
I'm not a cat person, I'm really not. But you just can't not love these cats.

Lilian Jackson Braun really knew how to craft a cozy. Murder and violence happens, but conveniently off-scene. There are lots of lovable and quirky characters in a small town. (Of course, this small town's murder rate must be atrocious!)

This is actually one of the better ones. Very enjoyable.
The gym I'm a member of has a shelf of free books to take for your workout, if you happen to be one of those folks who can run, bike and read at the same time. I'm not, but noticed this volume of Braun's "The Cat Who" series while waiting for my friend in the foyer. I'd read many of these books as a kid, and liked them. So, wondering if Braun would hold up to twenty years of life including a college and graduate school education, I took home "The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare."

Though not a work of (
Laura Cowan
Liked it, and the atmosphere is intoxicating, which is what really kept me reading, but because of all the emphasis on hints toward the solution to the mystery and my own familiarity with Shakespeare, I guessed not all the tie-in parts of the end (which were great) but the central mystery. Unfortunately that kind of ruined the read. But, even though I sometimes think the mustache tingling thing is a little contrived (Poirot's cat-like eyes glowing green when he was on to the murderer come to min ...more
Friends shouldn't buy bad books for friends. Guilt read. Reminds me of a made-for-TV Animal Planet show. Sorry, Yum-Yum and Koko, but your owner is an insane man who gets credit for solving crimes when he does nothing and then pretends that his cats help him. He, like all of the characters, is flat; he only exhibits good qualities to the older women in Moose County. The man can do no wrong-- he loves art and cats, stands up for women, and has a nice moustache that hints that something is awry: " ...more
Good, my only problem is that she keeps killing off 2 or more residents of the town in each book. By the time I get to #30 of her books, there won't be any one left in town.
Sue Smith
If you've never read any of "The Cat Who...." books, you really should. They are a mindless, easy read...and really fun! I've read them all, and love them!
Nov 05, 2014 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars

Rating: Five Stars

Genre: Cozy Mystery

Date Published: 1988

Series: The Cat Who Series #7

General: This book is a cute cozy mystery about a man who has a psychic cat that helps him solve mysteries.

Plot: The pace is slower than normal mysteries and has a lot of small-town aspects interwoven into the book. It is definitely a "light" read.

Character: The cats are very memorable, and Qwilleran is a fun character. If the reader is alrea
Lisa Kucharski
This story really ramps up the death toll a bit. So many "accidents" or "suicides" invade this series to the point where it becomes a bit crazy to believe that no one would actually question them. The location tends to take the blame. It isn't that uncommon for the more remote areas to be a bit more lax when it comes to investigating or questioning an apparent suicide. The wild frontier of Moose County tends to be a place where people make their own rules and play judge and jury at times.

In this
Melissa Miller
I love the Cat Who series. Good, entertaining, light reading.
Found this priceless book in an used book store in middle of Kansas, not a world class literary novel or catching story. It just reminded me of those simpler times, I could totally relate this book to a James Hardley Chase Novella, which can be picked up on a Railway Platform. Perfect for an evening in Train with a bag of Chips and a Pepsi.

Do read it if you miss short novels and simpler childhood stories. Fun, simple, one time read for a one sitting.
The mystery is paper thin and it's more a tragi-comedie in a small, incestuous town 400 miles north of every where. Rereading these you can make your own drinking game, mine is which Goodwinter is gonna be murderer?
We had two in this one like in the last novel.

The villain of the tale is grotesque and the "will it snow or not" motif was tiresome. So barely two stars.
Dec 28, 2007 Kiddo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every one
I love these books. I've been reading them for years. I first started reading them when my kids were in grade school and I still am not that I'm a grandma! They are a light hearted mystry series that really gets you into the characters. If you love cats, you will love these books!
I just love this series. The distinguished retired bachelor who has two cats named Koko and Yum Yum solves mysteries with the help of Koko. This is the first one I read. They are easy and clever reads.
Yes I am really into this series right now. Each book has a great new mystery to be solved by two highly intelligent cats and their inquisitive owner
I think I read this book too early...Although I have a high reading level I don't fully comprehend it. I can't see the mystery...yet.
This one wasn't as bad as the last "Cat Who..." book I read. The mystery was mostly competent. But I felt like it was told out flatly in the last page or so. If maybe the mystery could have been unveiled piece by piece. Or maybe if there was more of a confrontation with the villain (rather them just dying off screen) I would have liked it more.

The main character sounded awfully pretentious to me most of the time. And way too obsessed with his cats. But that was less obvious in this one than in
M. J.
Sometimes when I re-read a mystery I'm way ahead of the story, and sometimes I'm way behind; this time I was somewhere in the middle. I did not anticipate any of the major events, but I was suspicious of the right people.

This book is one after the transition. It seems that Braun wrote several books starring Qwilleran and Koko (and adding Yum-yum at the end of the second), in which he was a starving newspaper reporter; then she took a decade or so off and returned with the same characters having
The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare is the seventh in a very lengthy "Cat Who..." series of mysteries by Lilian Jackson Braun. The protagonist of the series is curmudgeonly Qwilleran, a journalist in a small, very cold, town, and his cat Koko (by this book, Koko has a companion, Yum Yum).

The book involves the mysterious death of a young friend of Qwilleran's father. I liked Qwilleran-he would fit comfortably in a tv series and Koko was entertaining, especially in the use of sophisticated literature to
Dec 06, 2014 Sue rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery, usa
It's November - time for the first snowstorm in Moose County. Qwill's friend Arch Riker is leaving The Daily Fluxion and Qwill is heading Down Below to host a farewell party at the Press Club for his friend. He takes Junior Goodwinter, managing editor of the Pickax Picayune, with him believing that the exposure to a large city paper would be good experience for him. During the party, Qwill is called away to take a phone call. He comes back and tells Junior they need to get on a plane fast and g ...more
I am actually re-reading the series. I first read "The Cat Who..." books with my mom during the 80s and early 90s, when we owned two female Persian Cats (Chloe and Keora). They were not Koko and Yum Yum as far as solving mysteries goes, but they were extremely spoiled and exhibited some of the mischievousness that Koko and Yum Yum do. I associate this series with many fond memories. Although the books are not "great literature" they are comfortable and great for a light read. I like Qwilleran an ...more
I really liked this book. First of all, it has cats and being the owners/ cohabiter of three I love the challenges that only a life with cats can bring. Second, it mentioned Shakespeare in the title and that always intrigues me. This is my first Lilian Jackson Braun mystery and apparently she is quite the writer in this genre. There are more than 20 Million Cat Who... books in print and after reading The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare that does not surprise me. I can remember seeing these books come h ...more
Perry Whitford
The owner and publisher of an historic local paper, the Pickaxe Picayune, dies in a freakish motor accident, then the establishment burns down just as it was about to be sold off.

Jim Qwilleram's magnificent mustache starts to twitch as he suspects a dark family secret, whilst KoKo, the uncanny siamese shamus, begins to knock various folio editions of Shakespeare's plays onto the floor in a significant manor...

There is no possible way that I could fail to enjoy a book that has a cat solving crim
I enjoyed this book. It's the first one I have listened to (book on CD) by this author. (The reader did an excellent job.) It was a mystery, well developed. A very "Midwest" small town feel, but you're never quite sure how large the town really is. The cats create humor. It was not a hard book to digest. Good to listen to or read between "deep" reads.
Do not have to listen/read these books in order. Easy to step into.
This was one of my favorite "The Cat Who..." books. I liked the constant references to Shakespeare, but I couldn't give it five stars because Q seemed to be a complete idiot in this book, which is really out of character for him.

The answers were obvious the entire time, and Q normally picks up on Koko's clues much quicker, but Q just kept ignoring the answers over and over again. I thought Koko was going to have to slap Q with the book and then point at keywords with his paw. (If the cat had gr
These books are always a nice cosy reading and we fell that we know Qwill and the 2 cats.
The reading itself is enjoyable but I always fell the ending is a bit rushed, and in this book specifically, totally rushed. Is in the last 2 pages of the book that we know the truth, and it's just that.
Also, I found it a bit weird that the death of a friend, or if not a friend but a person that he knows and that he was responsible for bringing to Pickax, doesn't leave Qwill with sad and/or with a guilty fe
2 and a half

These Cat Who books are true true light fluff. Not really many clues to follow. In this on we don't even know if there has been a crime and no one seems to be investigating any of the odd occurrences and happenings that may be fishy, but then in the end it all comes out in detail. If it wasn't so enjoyably campy I would be bothered!
This series begins well but with the addition of Yum Yum in the later books, they become more and more derogatory towards females ('Yum Yum couldn't get it through her pretty little, feminine head'). Some of the books were so insulting that it was bordering, and passing the line into, misogyny. It turned me off the entire series.
Knit Spirit
Encore un "Le chat qui...", je ne m'en lasse pas et même si j'ai moins apprécié ce tome que d'autres, j'ai tout de même passé un bon moment en compagnie de Qwill et ses chats. J'ai trouvé l'intrigue un peu moins rythmée que d'habitude et le mystère moins épais que dans d'autres tomes et j'avais même deviné à l'avance certaines évolutions de l'histoire.
En bref : bien mais pas top !
So slow at the beginning. Not the pace I was expecting and the lack of emotions from the characters toward the developments of the story was irritating. Very little character development except for a handful of characters. Honestly, I was disappointed at the way the mystery turned out.
Terry Southard
Listened to this one with my kids. We thoroughly enjoyed this cosy little mystery, and LOVED the narrator. While there is nothing earth shattering here, it was pleasant and I would listen to another as I crocheted or sewed. It's that kind of book.
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare #8 1 3 Aug 09, 2013 09:55PM
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Cat in a Diamond Dazzle (Midnight Louie, #5)
  • Sleight of Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #2)
  • A Cat in the Manger (Alice Nestleton Mystery #1)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
  • Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey, #2)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

The Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)
  • The Cat Who Lived High (Cat Who... #11)