Start by marking “The Prophet's Wife” as Want to Read:
The Prophet's Wife

The Prophet's Wife

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Unfinished novel about the prophet Hosea, infidelity, faith, and power.
Published March 19th 2010 by Behrman House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Prophet's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prophet's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Horseman's Convenient Wife by Mindy NeffThe Bishop’s Wife by Mette Ivie HarrisonThe Tiger's Wife by Téa ObrehtThe Tycoon's Convenient Wife by Ros Clarke
's wife
13th out of 55 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Maggie Anton
A historical novelist myself, of course I was intrigued to learn that an unfinished novel by Milton Steinberg had been discovered and was going to be published. The author of As A Driven Leaf, the brilliant story of a Talmudic sage struggling with his faith in 2nd-Century Roman Palestine, had died in March 1950 at the age of forty-six. So for nearly 60 years, his myriad fans could only sigh and sadly wonder what great literature his untimely death had deprived us of.

I eagerly accepted the offer
Aaron
Steven Drachman
This is an amazing and tragic book - I think the other reviewers have summarized this well, that it is a dramatized version of the life of Hosea, the Biblical prophet, whose story of his unfaithful wife Gomer was used as a metaphor for G-d's love for the people Israel (who were equally unfaithful, though in different ways). I was surprised to find that this is every bit as good as A Driven Leaf, the author's classic novel of Talmudic times, especially since this is a first, unfinished draft. And ...more
Mesu
Unfortunately, Milton Steinberg's highly acclaimed last work didn't live up to the hype. I was fascinated by Rabbi Steinberg's biography and the fact that at the time of his sudden and tragic death (at age 46), he was in the midst of writing this manuscript on Hosea and Gomer. Sixty years later, friends and scholars gathered together to edit and publish his untold story. Sounds exciting, doesn't it? Well, the story of its inception was far greater than the book itself. Though Steinberg's writing ...more
Sue
Actually, I finished about 4/5 of this book. I don't usually read "novelizations" of Bible stories, & this book reminded me why. I gave it a try because of its history: Rabbi Milton Steinberg, author of the famous "As a Driven Leaf," left this as an unfinished manuscript at the time of his early death at age 46, but it didn't get published until 50 years later (2010). But this novel doesn't hold a candle to the earlier one.
Judy Chessin
Oh how I wish Milton Steinberg had lived to end this book! Beautiful description of the life of a prophet, although we never got to the part where Hosea becomes a spokesperson for God. The suggested endings didn't do the author justice. In its day As a Driven Leaf was a classic. This too would have been a source for understanding life in ancient Israel had the author been able to get to what I imagine was his point.
Selma de Oliveira
I really like this book. The author is so descriptive that he places the reader right in the scene. His choice of characters are well done, complying with Hosea's real Bible story. There are many Iddos, Gomers and Hoseas in this world so you can definitely relate to the story.
Merittlohrsawyer
Fabulous novel about Hosea depicting his life in a literal drama. My first book book by Jewish scholar Milton Steinberg. This book makes me want to read everything he has written.
Jenna
The commentary at the end was excellent and worth reading also.
Roberta Kalmanson
Roberta Kalmanson marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
George
George is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
AnkhMorpork
AnkhMorpork marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Jun 19, 2014
Karen Hough
Karen Hough is currently reading it
Oct 20, 2014
Wendy Brown
Wendy Brown marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Ash Abrams
Ash Abrams marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Alan
Alan added it
Aug 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
As a Driven Leaf Basic Judaism Partisan Guide to the Jewish Problem (Brown classics in Judaica) The Making of the Modern Jew Anatomy of Faith