Fangs: The Vampire Archives, Volume 2

Fangs: The Vampire Archives, Volume 2

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The second immortal volume in this dark and fantastic series, Fangs is a scintillating and sinister collection of vampire stories and part of the now legendary Vampire Archives. Including Clive Barker, Anne Rice, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Many Many More. . .

Featuring:

· bloody fangs
· dark and foreboding crypts
· mysterious nighttime apparitions
· languid ladies...more
Mass Market Paperback, 548 pages
Published August 31st 2010 by Vintage (first published 2009)

Amanda
I am a anthology junkie, I have a slew of short story collections, and this one has got to be one of the worse. Sure, there are a few good reads in there, but the issue wasn't just with the stories, but the editor's lack of work.

I try not to bully editors and authors, I don't want to be one of those people. But I have to mention the fact that he seriously dropped the ball on this one.

Here's a bulleted list of lameness:

- Not all of the stories are vampire stories. It's a vampire anthology!

- Th...more
Skye Keenan
Just bought the book!
Got hooked with the narration in an instant! And that was just a paragraph in the middle of the book!
I dont know if my country just doesnt appreciate vampire stories or if it's bad when i was looking at it cause the price went from P350 to P50 to P30! Haha but based on the reviews here, the book might be nice!
Frank Reynoso
Horror anthologies, especially ones that center on a particular monster like vampires or zombies, often rehash old ideas and wallow in cliches but this book manages to expertly avoid these pitfalls. In light of the current trend of humanizing vampires - as typified by some TV shows and movies - it was refreshing to see these mythic creatures doing horrific things. (And I don't mean breaking people's hearts.) Notable highlights include Gardner Dozois and Jack Dann's "Down Among the Dead", Alice a...more
Cristy Despuig-dahilig
...you like short scary stories?...try this!
Metagion
This anthology wasn't bad, but there were stories I'd read in earlier books (i.e., "Carmilla" by Le Fanu) and I thought it was interesting how they had H P Lovecraft AND August Derleth in the same volume (August Derleth is an HPL autobiographer and does a lot about the works of Lovecraft). Pretty good, though. (I recommend "Special"....one of the good stories).
Levi Tinney
wanted to read Carmilla after reading Anno Dracula, and my wife had this anthology which included it. Handy!

nice mix of classics and contemporary (Conan Doyle and R. Lay in the same anthology!)
Max Bolongaita
I loved this book. It reminded me of why vampires were scary. I had one hell of a bloody good read. Can't wait yo buy the third one Coffins.
Jason
Looking for the hard cover edition.
A good blend of traditional and unorthodox vampire stories.
Julie
Jan 08, 2012 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
Human Remains was excellent.
The Werewolf and the Vampire was so great, so funny.
Eric
Decent collection of vampire stories, with a nice mix of classic and contemporary.
Skyler Rowe
Skyler Rowe marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Jun 23, 2014
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Sara Walker
Sara Walker marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Koca
Koca marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Zuzka
Zuzka is currently reading it
May 10, 2014
Violet
Violet marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Laura Gibbs
Laura Gibbs is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2014
Aric Cushing
Aric Cushing marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Otto Penzler is an editor of mystery fiction in the United States, and proprietor of The Mysterious Bookshop in New York City, where he lives.

Otto Penzler founded The Mysteriour Press in 1975 and was the publisher of The Armchair Detective, the Edgar-winning quarterly journal devoted to the study of mystery and suspense fiction, for seventeen years.

Penzler has won two Edgar Awards, for The Encycl...more
More about Otto Penzler...
The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps The Lineup: The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop The Vampire Archives The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard Original)