A Moveable Feast: Life-Changing Food Adventures Around the World

A Moveable Feast: Life-Changing Food Adventures Around the World (Lonely Planet World Food)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  41 reviews
From bat on the island of Fais to chicken on a Russian train to barbecue in the American heartland, from mutton in Mongolia to couscous in Morocco to tacos in Tijuana - on the road, food nourishes us not only physically, but intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually too. It can be a gift that enables a traveler to survive, a doorway into the heart of a tribe, or a threa...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Lonely Planet (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Moveable Feast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Moveable Feast

Reading My Father by Alexandra StyronA Moveable Feast by Don GeorgeLion of Liberty by Harlow Giles UngerAmerican Tempest by Harlow Giles UngerNoah Webster by Harlow Giles Unger
Taft Alumni Authors
2nd out of 59 books — 2 voters
Down Under by Bill BrysonTooth and Nail by Ian RankinColonialism and Neocolonialism by Jean-Paul SartreStatus Quo and the Kangaroo by Jon HolmesKnockemstiff by Donald Ray Pollock
Road Signs
30th out of 33 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

AJ
Apr 30, 2011 AJ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to AJ by: Jason
I always seem to read food books voraciously, as if getting through the words quickly will satiate the sudden desire I have to tear through a 10 course meal. I also always read them (and for that matter watch the food channel) when I'm starving. I then surprise myself by looking down to an empty box of fudgestripes or a bag of chips.
Joel Neff
Borrowing its name from the Hemmingway classic, Lonely Planet's entry into the burgeoning travel + food genre is a thoughtful sampler menu of meals eaten around the globe. Some of the stories are quick and simple like a light lunch grabbed from a trattoria at a railway station in the north of Italy, while others are more substantial, more thoughtful, more deserving of a glass of wine and pleasant company.

(I don't normally make it a habit to take notes, however brief, on each story in a collectio...more
Vicki
This book is a short story collection about food and travel. Since I love reading about both, I couldn’t wait to read this book Each chapter tells of a certain situation the author experienced with food and travel.

All the stories were interesting, some more than others, but each gives a look into what the food and places are like across the world.

One of my favorite stories was about a young girl and her boyfriend who backpacked their way through Europe. The author, Emily Matchar loved learning a...more
Jason
Simply amazing. A quick but for me, must read book. Hilarious, fascinating, poignant, and captivating. If this doesnt want to make you grab your passport and just go, nothing will. I will be retelling these stories for years, just not nearly as well as the original authors, so do yourself a favor and take some time near an open window, or on your porch, or with a good drink in hand and a nice meal and read this book.
Bayneeta
This was every bit as much about the people and places and cultures visited as it was about the food. Some of the stories are not for "younger or more sensitive viewers," but the the truly stomach-turning were the few exceptions and even these gave fascinating glimpses of lives lived in other places. Easy to pick up and put down, easy to skip a story you find too much. Even this vegan found every one interesting.
Natalie Steinberg
A great book, one that I got through much faster than I had expected. I loved most of the stories, although many of them were Thailand/SE-Asia oriented. Many of the authors had an amazing capability to really transport you to a particular setting. Loved reading about the food-- Chapters of interest include Peanut Butter Summer and Italy in Seventeen Courses. An amazing read over all.
Erika
Very cool compendium of travel & food stories.
Mycala
Excellent writing. This book transported me to Italy for a wedding feast so elaborate and with so many courses that the writer was, quite regrettably, unable to try everything. I "visited" Thailand, where I discovered that red ant egg salad was a delicacy (and I sincerely feel a little sad, as I doubt that I will likely ever be able to try it.) I learned about the Naked Man Festival in Japan. I felt the compassion of a lone man in Nepal who saw two lost, hungry hikers and invited them into his h...more
It was a good book, but not great. I think it would have helped if I'd bought a physical copy of the book--it's the type where pictures of pretty food in pretty settings probably help the less-than-stellar writing. If I'd gotten a physical copy, I'd also have realized that Bourdain did not provide a lot of the essays, which was a BIG reason for me downloading it. I really think Bourdain's talents are more suited to the arena of writing than cooking, but most of the other essays...well...the writ...more
David
I enjoyed this travel book while travelling. I love trying new foods so this book was a perfect read for me. The 38 short articles were perfect as one could read here and there as one goes. The down side is sometimes as I got into a story, it ended, almost wanting to know more. The upside is that there was a preface before each story pointing one to their web site or blog.

From the bizarre like baked bat or searching for frogs to the urbane, such as the best restaurant in the world and several M...more
Donald
An interesting mix of writers young and old, seasoned and new. I like the fact that there is so much emphasis placed on the role of eating together. I've written a full review at, http://diningwithdonald.com/moveable-...
Kristi
I'm only on the Third Chapter of this book, which is Rhona's part called Communion on Crete. So far, I dig how these chefs are talking about food and culture in such a different way. I was hooked when George talked about how he went to this small village in Japan where they didn't like outsiders and just gave him a fish to eat. He ate it. I love to explore the cultures of the world and I'm crazily becoming a foodie. It's mixing my two great ideas of traveling and food. I can't wait to get to Bou...more
Stephanie
There are some decent stories here. Bourdain's is short, and is nothing you wouldn't already know if you watch him on TV. Zimmern's story was a little meatier and enjoyable. Given that this was a book brought to us by The Lonely Planet I probably shouldn't be surprised that there were a lot of stories about trekking in far flung places eating crazy stuff while life hung in the balance, but by the end of the book it was a little tiresome. Okay, I get it, your life is an adventure.
Picturepicture
Tried to read this but it came off as a kind of self-congratulatory series of diary entries. Yawn.
Shannon
I picked this up right after reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. His story in this book is barely worth mentioning, and (I think) was cannibalized as part of a late season episode of No Reservations. However, I am still grateful to Mr. Bourdain for making me pick up this book. It houses several great stories, some by authors I've heard of or read before and some that are new discoveries that I'll be seeking out more from in the future.
Lorraine
fabulous well written escapism
David
Having read several similar books like this one, and having a strong passion for good food and good 'food literature' I am kind of double-minded about this one;

While some stories are really entertaining, made me laugh or at least smile and I wished I had a complete book written by the respective author in front of me, I found other stories just plain uninteresting and rather boring.
Chieko
It was interesting enough short-stories, some more than the other. There were some that I didn't care to read, but that's a good side of short-stories. Obviously some writers are better than the other, and some made me laugh so hard, some brought back some memories of my childhood, some made me want to travel just to eat their food. But I'll give only 2, or maybe 3.
Annie Quinty
A delightful collection of travel and food writings!
Niya B
Like any collection of short stories, some are misses, some are hits. From a coffee lesson that morphs into a marriage proposal, to sharing a perfect pan of fried potatoes in the Himalayas, to being a happy last minute addition to an Italian wedding feast - for those who hunger for travel, it's a lovely little amuse.
Terry Savill
What a fabulous collection of short stories-I would recommend this to anyone-not just foodies!!
Each vignette is a an exploration of the world outside our front door, and that makes each encounter special.
A book to pick up for a 5 minute romp that will immediately give the whole day a 'pick me up.'
Lise
I really enjoyed this book! I liked the format of short essays by different authors. Not surprisingly, they were not all created equally - but that added to the variety. A fun read for an arm-chair- or real-life traveler, and definitely for a fooodie. Great story-telling!
Lorraine
Best line of the book: "The pasta came into the room on wings of garlic riding a waft of basil (...) tomatoes of summer that tasted like the sun"
A good book if you like traveling from your couch and eating meals without gaining calories by having them described to you!
Rick
The (mostly) well-written essays in this collection just made me angry that I have not written anything about my travels, culinary or otherwise. This book did provide good late-night/pre-bed reading.
Kimberly
Like it well enough, but some of the stories were a bit too exotic or just not all that interesting. It is a great book to skim or pick up for short periods during the busy holiday season.
Sherry
This book made me hungry and gave me travel fever. Now if I could just win the lottery, I'd hit the jetway and plan an itinerary based on the restaurants and adventures I just read about.
Cat
Great mix of stories from around the globe about food and the human experiences that come with eating alone or with others you know or just met. Good for short attention span type reading!!
Gwen
These are fun and interesting true food/travel stories, some much better than others. I have to say, a few made me want to give up meat for good.
Trish Di
great vacation read
Melissa Gastorf
some of the writers were good and some were terrible. This is a collection so there were actually only a few that i had even heard of.
  • Eat My Globe: One Year to Go Everywhere and Eat Everything
  • By the Seat of My Pants: Humorous Tales of Travel and Misadventure
  • Chop Suey: A Cultural History of Chinese Food in the United States
  • Four Kitchens: My Life Behind the Burner in New York, Hanoi, Tel Aviv, and Paris
  • Food Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 Extraordinary Places to Eat Around the Globe
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2012
  • The Lonely Planet Guide To Experimental Travel
  • The Sorcerer's Apprentices: A Season in the Kitchen at Ferran Adria's Elbulli
  • The Table Comes First: Family, France and the Meaning of Food
  • Eat, Memory: Great Writers at the Table: A Collection of Essays from the New York Times
  • Cooking Dirty: A Story of Life, Sex, Love and Death in the Kitchen
  • A Tiger in the Kitchen: A Memoir of Food and Family
  • Fork It Over: The Intrepid Adventures of a Professional Eater
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2011
  • Best Food Writing 2010
  • A Pig in Provence: Good Food and Simple Pleasures in the South of France
  • Au Revoir to All That: Food, Wine, and the End of France
  • The Geometry of Pasta
The Kindness of Strangers Better Than Fiction: True Travel Tales from Great Fiction Writers Tales from Nowhere A House Somewhere: Tales of Life Abroad (Lonely Planet Journeys) Travel Writing