Start by marking “A Moveable Feast: Life-Changing Food Adventures Around the World” as Want to Read:
A Moveable Feast: Life-Changing Food Adventures Around the World

A Moveable Feast: Life-Changing Food Adventures Around the World (Lonely Planet World Food)

From bat on the island of Fais to chicken on a Russian train to barbecue in the American heartland, from mutton in Mongolia to couscous in Morocco to tacos in Tijuana - on the road, food nourishes us not only physically, but intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually too. It can be a gift that enables a traveler to survive, a doorway into the heart of a tribe, or a threa ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Lonely Planet (first published January 1st 2010)

Reading My Father by Alexandra StyronA Moveable Feast by Don GeorgeLion of Liberty by Harlow Giles UngerAmerican Tempest by Harlow Giles UngerAmerica's Second Revolution by Harlow Giles Unger
Taft Alumni Authors
2nd out of 59 books — 3 voters
Crazy River by Richard GrantThe Table Comes First by Adam GopnikHidden Cities by Moses GatesRoadfood by Jane SternMichelangelo by William E. Wallace
Rick Steve's Radio Show Guests
21st out of 31 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

AJ
Apr 30, 2011 AJ rated it really liked it
Recommended to AJ by: Jason
I always seem to read food books voraciously, as if getting through the words quickly will satiate the sudden desire I have to tear through a 10 course meal. I also always read them (and for that matter watch the food channel) when I'm starving. I then surprise myself by looking down to an empty box of fudgestripes or a bag of chips.
Joel Neff
Feb 16, 2012 Joel Neff rated it really liked it
Borrowing its name from the Hemmingway classic, Lonely Planet's entry into the burgeoning travel + food genre is a thoughtful sampler menu of meals eaten around the globe. Some of the stories are quick and simple like a light lunch grabbed from a trattoria at a railway station in the north of Italy, while others are more substantial, more thoughtful, more deserving of a glass of wine and pleasant company.

(I don't normally make it a habit to take notes, however brief, on each story in a collectio
Terri
Jan 28, 2016 Terri rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I couldn't help but compare this collection to A Fork in the Road, another anthology of food/travel pieces published by Lonely Planet in 2013 (3 years after A Moveable Feast) - and for me, A Moveable Feast came up short. I found most every piece in A Fork in the Road genuine and captivating, and it was truly one of the first books that made me think so much more deeply about food culture both at home and faraway. On the flipside, I found many of the pieces within A Moveable Feast kind of obnoxio ...more
Margaret
Oct 05, 2015 Margaret rated it really liked it
Excellent book of essays on food and travel by mostly food writers. Australia's Matt Preston has a nice piece about eating at El Bulli in it.

Interesting, thought provoking, but mostly reading it just made me hungry.

Read with a selection of snacks on hand. You will need them.

Highly recommended.
Vicki
Jun 28, 2014 Vicki rated it it was amazing
This book is a short story collection about food and travel. Since I love reading about both, I couldn’t wait to read this book Each chapter tells of a certain situation the author experienced with food and travel.

All the stories were interesting, some more than others, but each gives a look into what the food and places are like across the world.

One of my favorite stories was about a young girl and her boyfriend who backpacked their way through Europe. The author, Emily Matchar loved learning a
Sequoia M
Jun 18, 2015 Sequoia M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Sequoia by: Amazon
I love reading about food, and travel, especially while traveling, which is why I started this book the last time I was on a plane. I clearly felt no need to finish it, however, and only slogged through the last half months after beginning. The writing is alright, for the most part, but all short previously published bits that feel like magazine filler, nothing flushed out, nothing standing out. The voices and experiences are all so disparate nothing unifies it as a whole. Pieces fall generally ...more
Jason
Apr 06, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-books, travel
Simply amazing. A quick but for me, must read book. Hilarious, fascinating, poignant, and captivating. If this doesnt want to make you grab your passport and just go, nothing will. I will be retelling these stories for years, just not nearly as well as the original authors, so do yourself a favor and take some time near an open window, or on your porch, or with a good drink in hand and a nice meal and read this book.
Bayneeta
Oct 26, 2014 Bayneeta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, cooking
This was every bit as much about the people and places and cultures visited as it was about the food. Some of the stories are not for "younger or more sensitive viewers," but the the truly stomach-turning were the few exceptions and even these gave fascinating glimpses of lives lived in other places. Easy to pick up and put down, easy to skip a story you find too much. Even this vegan found every one interesting.
Natalie Steinberg
Jan 08, 2012 Natalie Steinberg rated it it was amazing
A great book, one that I got through much faster than I had expected. I loved most of the stories, although many of them were Thailand/SE-Asia oriented. Many of the authors had an amazing capability to really transport you to a particular setting. Loved reading about the food-- Chapters of interest include Peanut Butter Summer and Italy in Seventeen Courses. An amazing read over all.
Elizabeth
Feb 14, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Don George presents 39 travel stories about food; though, really, the stories are about people. Locations range from dense, depopulated jungle, to the slopes of the Himalayas, to the midwest U.S., to the great chefs of Paris. There are many moods, but bemusement a common theme - along with some unexpected moral conundrums. My favourite stories were "Mango Madness" by Amanda Jones, "The Potion" by Johanna Gohmann, and "Chai, Chili and Chapati" by Sean McLachlan. Some of the stories seemed vaguely ...more
Erin
Feb 10, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it
Now I'm just hungry.

I read this book after 7 weeks of living in Thailand and I had two very opposite, but almost obvious, feelings as I read. The first: I was starving for bread, and cheese, and savory meats, and good old Irish potatoes boiled with butter. The second: every day I'm living my own version of each of these stories, today I bought fresh mango at the market!
I loved reading each author's take on very similar stories. It's amazing to hear how all different foods in different countrie
Erika
Mar 05, 2013 Erika rated it really liked it
Very cool compendium of travel & food stories.
Mycala
Jul 09, 2014 Mycala rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, made-me-think
Excellent writing. This book transported me to Italy for a wedding feast so elaborate and with so many courses that the writer was, quite regrettably, unable to try everything. I "visited" Thailand, where I discovered that red ant egg salad was a delicacy (and I sincerely feel a little sad, as I doubt that I will likely ever be able to try it.) I learned about the Naked Man Festival in Japan. I felt the compassion of a lone man in Nepal who saw two lost, hungry hikers and invited them into his h ...more
Mar 27, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book, but not great. I think it would have helped if I'd bought a physical copy of the book--it's the type where pictures of pretty food in pretty settings probably help the less-than-stellar writing. If I'd gotten a physical copy, I'd also have realized that Bourdain did not provide a lot of the essays, which was a BIG reason for me downloading it. I really think Bourdain's talents are more suited to the arena of writing than cooking, but most of the other essays...well...the writ ...more
David
Jun 26, 2011 David rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this travel book while travelling. I love trying new foods so this book was a perfect read for me. The 38 short articles were perfect as one could read here and there as one goes. The down side is sometimes as I got into a story, it ended, almost wanting to know more. The upside is that there was a preface before each story pointing one to their web site or blog.

From the bizarre like baked bat or searching for frogs to the urbane, such as the best restaurant in the world and several M
Meredith Walker
Jan 16, 2015 Meredith Walker rated it liked it
Not the Ernerst Hemmingway work, but a collection of foodie travel tales from around the world. Like any collection and indeed like food itself, there is a certain joy to savouring favourite stories and skipping through those of less appeal. The anthology contains a satisfying mix of humour and reflection and includes stories to which all travellers can relate, regardless of specific location, however, the fact that I devoured the ebook while savouring a post-meal hot chocolate while overlooking ...more
Becca Baker
Aug 04, 2015 Becca Baker rated it liked it
Very good book to get to study great examples of food and travel writing. Some stories much stronger than others, with some slow and easily skipped while others, namely Pico Iyer's "Daily Bread", classics to read again and again. Also good to note the many opportunities/awards the various authors enjoyed/received in their detailed author bios at the beginning of their chapter.
Donald
May 28, 2014 Donald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting mix of writers young and old, seasoned and new. I like the fact that there is so much emphasis placed on the role of eating together. I've written a full review at, http://diningwithdonald.com/moveable-...
Angela
Aug 19, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I love thinking about food, eating food and thinking about where it came from and going there. This book supplies that. I made myself read it slowly, I loved the tales of the different places around the world and the food that made them special. I enjoyed it very much!
Angela
Feb 20, 2016 Angela rated it it was amazing
"Food offers a plethora of life-enriching gifts on the road, if only our minds and hearts –and stomachs –are open to them" - really enjoyed this set of stories. Highly recommend!
Carmen
Oct 14, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Very well spoken and fits in with the fad of learning about the 1920's. Brilliant
March Castañeda de la cruz
Oct 19, 2015 March Castañeda de la cruz rated it really liked it
Not all the chronicles are great, but some are awesome.
Kristi
Mar 10, 2011 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm only on the Third Chapter of this book, which is Rhona's part called Communion on Crete. So far, I dig how these chefs are talking about food and culture in such a different way. I was hooked when George talked about how he went to this small village in Japan where they didn't like outsiders and just gave him a fish to eat. He ate it. I love to explore the cultures of the world and I'm crazily becoming a foodie. It's mixing my two great ideas of traveling and food. I can't wait to get to Bou ...more
Stephanie
Apr 06, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-books
There are some decent stories here. Bourdain's is short, and is nothing you wouldn't already know if you watch him on TV. Zimmern's story was a little meatier and enjoyable. Given that this was a book brought to us by The Lonely Planet I probably shouldn't be surprised that there were a lot of stories about trekking in far flung places eating crazy stuff while life hung in the balance, but by the end of the book it was a little tiresome. Okay, I get it, your life is an adventure.
Picturepicture
Tried to read this but it came off as a kind of self-congratulatory series of diary entries. Yawn.
Shannon
Feb 28, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I picked this up right after reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. His story in this book is barely worth mentioning, and (I think) was cannibalized as part of a late season episode of No Reservations. However, I am still grateful to Mr. Bourdain for making me pick up this book. It houses several great stories, some by authors I've heard of or read before and some that are new discoveries that I'll be seeking out more from in the future.
Karol K
Love this book. I felt I was right there with each author as they ate thier very special or un-special meal. It was an education. I recommend highly.
Lorraine
Jul 28, 2014 Lorraine rated it really liked it
fabulous well written escapism
David
Apr 25, 2012 David rated it liked it
Having read several similar books like this one, and having a strong passion for good food and good 'food literature' I am kind of double-minded about this one;

While some stories are really entertaining, made me laugh or at least smile and I wished I had a complete book written by the respective author in front of me, I found other stories just plain uninteresting and rather boring.
Chieko
Aug 05, 2011 Chieko rated it it was ok
It was interesting enough short-stories, some more than the other. There were some that I didn't care to read, but that's a good side of short-stories. Obviously some writers are better than the other, and some made me laugh so hard, some brought back some memories of my childhood, some made me want to travel just to eat their food. But I'll give only 2, or maybe 3.
  • A Fork in the Road
  • Four Kitchens: My Life Behind the Burner in New York, Hanoi, Tel Aviv, and Paris
  • Au Revoir to All That: Food, Wine, and the End of France
  • Best Food Writing 2010
  • Eat My Globe: One Year to Go Everywhere and Eat Everything
  • Lights, Camera..Travel!
  • Fork It Over: The Intrepid Adventures of a Professional Eater
  • Chop Suey: A Cultural History of Chinese Food in the United States
  • The Sorcerer's Apprentices: A Season in the Kitchen at Ferran Adria's Elbulli
  • Cooking Dirty: A Story of Life, Sex, Love and Death in the Kitchen
  • The Year of Eating Dangerously: A Global Adventure in Search of Culinary Extremes
  • The Geometry of Pasta
  • The Whole Fromage: Adventures in the Delectable World of French Cheese
  • Red, White, and Drunk All Over: A Wine-Soaked Journey from Grape to Glass
  • The Table Comes First: Family, France, and the Meaning of Food
  • Spain...A Culinary Road Trip
  • Something from the Oven: Reinventing Dinner in 1950s America
  • The Best Kitchen Quick Tips: 534 Tricks, Techniques, and Shortcuts for the Curious Cook

Lonely Planet World Food (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Lonely Planet World Food California
  • Lonely Planet World Food: Caribbean
  • Lonely Planet World Food: China
  • World Food France
  • World Food Greece
  • Lonely Planet World Food Hong Kong
  • World Food India (Lonely Planet World Food)
  • World Food Indonesia
  • World Food Ireland (Lonely Planet World Food)
  • Lonely Planet World Food Italy

“Food delights us, food unites us, food embodies the soil, the sea and the weather, the farmer’s sweat and the fisherman’s toil.” 0 likes