Sweet Moon Baby: An Adoption Tale

Sweet Moon Baby: An Adoption Tale

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This is the story of one baby’s journey from her birth parents in China, who dream of a better life for their daughter, to her adoptive parents on the other side of the world, who dream of the life they can give her.
A turtle, a peacock, a monkey, a panda, and some fish shepherd the baby as she floats in a basket on a moonlit, winding river into the loving arms of her new p...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published September 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Moon Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Moon Baby

Michael
The most beautiful book ever about Chinese adoption. The writing is subtle, the art is stunning.
Rcltigger
In China, a baby girl is born and her parents aren't able to care for her:

"We have barely enough rice to feed ourselves...she should have pretty things...she should learn to read..."

So they place her in a basket and put her in the river, placing their trust in the moon that only good things will happen to their daughter, while on the other side of the world, a husband and wife yearn for a daughter.

I really wanted to love this story--the illustrations are just gorgeous. But I feel that the sto...more
Tasha
This is an adoption story that takes a more fairy tale approach. In China, perfect baby is born. However, her parents don’t have enough food for themselves and worry about the future of this tiny baby. So they put trust in the moon and send their baby away down the river. On the journey, several animals help that baby. While she sleeps, she is carried by a turtle, flown high by a peacock, sheltered by a monkey, and guided by a panda. On the other side of the world, a family is waiting for a chil...more
Barrie Evans
Parents give their children a story. It begins with, "you have always been loved."

November is National Adoption Month. Parents, family and friends are looking for storybooks they can give to the adopted children in their lives. Sweet Moon Baby: an Adoption Tale, written by Karen Henry Clark and illustrated by Patrice Barton, is a wonderful book meant to be read to a child too young to read on her own. It is published by Knopf Books for Young Readers (ISBN: 0375857095).

If you've adopted a girl fr...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Opening and Synopsis –

“On a summer night in China, a baby girl was born. She was perfect.”

A little girl was born on a summer’s night in China. Her parents were poor and they wanted her to have so many things that they couldn’t give her. The little girl’s parents made the decision to set their little girl sailing in a basket and they trusted that “only good things will happen” to her. The little girl goes on a long but peaceful journey. On the other side of the world a husband and wife wait for...more
babyhippoface
Oh. My. Goodness. I am in love with Patrice Barton's illustrations. This is the sweetest baby I have ever seen, hands down. If I knew a family who had adopted a baby girl from China, I would buy one copy of this book for them, and a second copy so I could cut the pages out and frame them for their nursery walls. They're that gorgeous.

A perfect baby girl is born in China to parents who dream of more for her than they can provide. So with both happiness and sadness, they set her afloat in a baske...more
Heather
The first thing that struck me about Sweet Moon Baby is the beautiful illustrations. They are enchanting and whimsical in water color. Patrice Barton has amazing talent. She worked on them for the author, Karen Henry Clark who adopted a child from China and had no story to tell her about her young infant life before she came to America. Clark uses prose to tell the tale of a family in China who doesn't have enough food to feed their baby and want to give it a better life.

In the mean time, anoth...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A family in China barely has enough food to feed themselves so they send their new baby girl off in a basket on the river. The moon guides the baby’s basket to safety. On the other side of the world, a man and a woman prepare their house for a new baby. The two follow the moon’s glow to find the baby in the river.

“One summer night in China a baby girl was born. She was perfect.

‘We have barely enough rice to feed ourselves,’ the father said.

‘She should have pretty things,’ the mother said.

‘She sh...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is such an adorable story about the adoption of a sweet little girl and the parents who have longed to have her in their family. This is not an in-depth story about adoption, but a beautiful, heart warming story about the journey of a baby girl born in China, and her whimsical journey to her new home. The illustrations are absolutely amazing! They capture the feeling of this story perfectly. The story's prose and the beautiful illustrations make this the perfect bedtime book for young reade...more
Brenna Call
This is a fairy tale type story about a little chinese girl who was adopted by an american couple. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful. It's been quite some time since I've enjoyed illustrations so much. I also liked the story but it's definitely a fairy tale and not for those looking for a realistic story about adoption. Overall it was a joy to read.
Appropriate for grades prek-1. The Chinese parents give their baby girl up for adoption because they couldn't feed her, so they send her down a river to find a better home. Along the way animals take care of her until she ever so perfectly meets up with the American parents that are anxiously awaiting for her arrival. The story line is just not realistic and would be misleading to young children about the adoption process. The most realistic part is showing how the family prepares and waits and...more
Mymcbooks
My Review: I don’t know if you can fall in love with a book but I did when I first read Sweet Moon Baby. Sweet Moon Baby An Adoption Tale written by Karen Henry Clark is a story of love, hope and faith. This story is about two couples, one who could barely afford to feed themselves and their new born child and the other who wants a baby. As they await the arrival of their baby girl from China, they set about preparing for her by planting a fruit tree to building a house with a room just for her....more
Dorine White
This is an absolutely adorable picture book that tells the story of a baby girl who is born in China. Her parents want the best for her, and trust the moon to find it. On the other side of the world is a couple praying for a baby. They follow the moon across the world and find their new baby daughter waiting for them.

First the story- it is an imaginative tale where the baby floats down the river sound asleep, drifting to her new parents. Along the way a turtle, peacock, monkey, panda and fish he...more
Kathryn
3 stars for the story
5 stars for the illustrations

Spoilers: This is a lovingly told adoption story with a fanciful twist. A baby girl is born on a summer night in China. Her parents love her, but believe she should have a better life than the one they can give her. So, they set her adrift in a basket on the river. Along the way, she is cared for by various animals who help her on her journey. Meanwhile, a couple on the other side of the world want a daughter. One night, the moon leads them to fi...more
Relyn
Jun 26, 2011 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adoptive parents, teachers, children
Recommended to Relyn by: found at my library
Shelves: lawsonland
I loved this sweet and tender book. The illustrations were marvelous, as well. Each year I have at least one student who is adopted or waiting to be adopted. They always love, enjoy, and appreciate books about adoption. It helps them tell their story to their peers. The books seem to make them feel as though someone else understands. This book is a tender look at adoption using a myth created by the parents. To use it in class, we would have to discuss that of course, no parent really put their...more
Shanshad Whelan
Four stars because the artwork alone just made me fall in love with this! This is an adoption story that doesn't try to be "real". It's told in very much a fairytale paradigm, with gentle, lyrical language. A little girl in China is sent off in a basket into the wide world. A couple far away is wishing and waiting for a baby girl that hasn't come.

It's . . . a good story, but parents who want to address the real issue of adoption with their child may find it way too fantastical to be helpful with...more
Carol Lozier
"Sweet Moon Baby" is a lovely, poetic adoption tale written by Karen Henry Clark. The book gently introduces the concepts of adoption to young children, from preschool age through Kindergarten, giving parents the opportunity to discuss their child’s own adoption story. "Sweet Moon Baby" is written in a style that I prefer for young children with succinct wording and repetitive sweet-sounding phrases. I recommend every family have a copy of "Sweet Moon Baby" for their young child.
Cathy Blackler
The illustrations make this charming story exquisite. A tale of adoption, the story chronicles the journey of a young baby from one family who loves her enough to let her go, to another family who searches for her until she is found. With fairy tale elements infused in an otherwise routine tale, the author has created a beautiful story.
Jacqueline
Such a sweet story about a baby girl being adopted and both sets of her parents being happy and sad at the same time, one because they couldn't care for her and the other because they were waiting for her but she hadn't come.
Kirsten
Illustrations get an A+++...they were gorgeous.

The storyline, not so much. In the story, the parents are poor so they put the little girl in a basket and set her afloat on the river. The animals and birds take care of her until her searching adoptive parents find her just as she awakes after floating a long way down the river.

I understand that this is supposed to be a whimsical and fun story, but to me it just seems scary. I don't think it would help a young child understand adoption at all.
Sandy Brehl
As a whimsical tale of adoption this story is lyrical and the illustrations strike a similarly gentle and dreamlike note. The magical quality is charming. It also leaves me with reservations about young readers, especially those with whom their personal adoption stories have been openly shared. Separating reality from fantasy can be a developmental challenge and could cause confusions. The love and security conveyed are undeniable.
Susan Erhardt
On the one hand, this is a very sweet book. On the other hand, I found it very disturbing. The poor baby's parents simply abandon her in a basket, floating down the river -- eek! why couldn't they have been shown taking her to an adoption agency if they loved her so much? I think this book might be rather upsetting to a child who's been adopted.
ReadingWench
The beautiful illustrations in this book could not make up for the fanciful depiction of adoption. It is a bit distrubing that the parents just put the child in a basket and she floats down the river. Then like magaic, her new parents find her in the lillies.

Not one I would recommend for an adopted child or the parents of.

AR 2.9
Nancy Jo Lambert
This is a lovely adoption story, but I think for the message, the book has a very narrow audience. I also think that while it has a great overall message about adoption, young kids might be confused about parts of this book if they are adopted.

Definitely good for my collection though for families that this is a relevant issue.
Trish
Cute, sweet, charming tale - great way to introduce the concept of adoption that's not scary or heavyhanded.
Tina Wan
I followed the the book that illustrated by Patrice Barton, I love her paints. The story of this book is also beautiful. My son read it and said, Oh! Mommy this baby has travelled all over the world, lol.
Well, it's interesting.
Missie Kay The Book Fix
So sweet. A fairy tale, not meant to give a realistic picture of an adoption story, but cute, with adorable illustrations. If you know someone who is adopting a Chinese girl baby, get this book for their shower.
Leslie Zinsmeister
I think that adding books like this to your classroom library can be so effective in reaching certain children in a way that most books cannot. This was a truly adorable tale of adoption that incorporates fantasy.
Jess
i have an affinity for children's books about adoption - i can't pass by one and not pick it up. a sweet story that focuses on the beautiful side of adoption, along with beautifully done illustrations.
Kristin
Oh man, did I cry during this one. A great story whether your child is adopted or not (mine isn't, but I'm sure there will come a time when he wishes he was), and the illustrations are beautiful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Karen Henry Clark wrote her first story when she was four years old by dictating the tale of a runaway popcorn ball to her father. From that moment on, she wanted to become an author. It took longer than she anticipated, as do most things in life. "Sweet Moon Baby" is her first book. She lives in St. Paul, Minnesota, where she loves to watch the moon rise over the Mississippi, a wide and wonderful...more
More about Karen Henry Clark...