Start by marking “Gospel in Life Study Guide: Grace Changes Everything” as Want to Read:
Gospel in Life Study Guide: Grace Changes Everything

Gospel in Life Study Guide: Grace Changes Everything

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  512 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Join author and pastor Timothy Keller in this eight-week small group Bible study, Gospel in Life, to explore how the gospel can change your heart, community, and how you live the Gospel out in everyday life

In week one you and your group will study the city, your home now, the world. Week eight closes with the theme of the eternal city, your heavenly home, the world that is
Published March 15th 2010 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Gospel in Life Study Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gospel in Life Study Guide

We did this book over the course of the last eight months or so in our community group (a month a lesson rather than a week or two a lesson). I took a long vacation right in the middle, and missed a bunch of it, so I went back and read the whole book from the beginning.

This is an excellent book on missional living, how we as Christians should live to bless the city and those in it rather than withdrawing, or becoming a part of the culture. Tim Keller takes as his principal text Jeremiah 29:4-14
We went through this book and video series with our Home Fellowship. It was packed with liberating and motivating truth for living life as a Christian. Tim Keller's scripture soaked perspective on personal and city ministry stimulated a lot of good conversations. I highly recommened getting a group of peops together and going through this material. The only difficulty is that there is so much to talk about and digest that you need a flexible schedule to do so (something we sturggled with at HF a ...more
I thoroughly enjoyed this Bible study, which is no surprise as I'm a big fan of Keller's teaching style. Our women's bible study used it as our summer series and we all found it both challenging & convicting. Because our church recently relocated to a different part of our greater metropolitan area, this study was particularly timely for us as we seek to do kingdom work in a new community.

The accompanying videos are available on YouTube, and Keller's teaching in them really does connect the
Catherine Gillespie
Gospel in Life: Grace Changes Everything is a detailed study of how living a gospel-centered life can impact our communities, our work, our heart for justice, and our culture.

This would be a high impact study for small groups, and in fact the women’s studies at my church used this book last spring but since I was unable to attend I worked through it myself. It was great for personal Bible study too. Each session includes a short talk (on DVD, which you purchase separately but it is not expensive
I am quickly becoming a fan of anything Tim Keller writes. I started this book as a study in my church. It discusses ways to serve the community that we live in and in doing so grow in relationship with God. I would highly recommend this book to any church group or Sunday School class.
NOTE: It is not a book to be read by yourself but one to be discussed in a group setting.
Becky Smoot
Our small group really enjoyed this book. He made me see some things in a new light and I liked that.
Lisa Powers
It seems that Keller cannot write a bad book. The man is a gifted preacher, speaker and author.
I was curious what a book by a reformed pastor, so different in theology than me, would be like. But I thought Gospel in Life was a wonderful (and practical) book about living out the gospel in our lives. And the DVDs accompanying the sessions are very compelling about how we live out the call of Jesus. Keller has some great thoughts about how we serve others, how we love, and how we live.

I love his discussion of the difference between religion and the gospel. We do good because we believe in J
Eric Chappell
Our community group used this study of grace in everyday life beginning in January 2013 and ended in May 2013.

Keller uses the bookends of the "World that is" and the "World that is to come" to frame his study on how the gospel impacts, motivates, and shapes everyday life. In eight helpful chapters, Keller offers an insightful perspective into things like sin, the church, evangelism, mercy ministry. Each chapter is intended to be supplemented by a video series where Keller lectures for 10-15 min
This was an excellent study for our Adult School of Discipleship class. The content is challenging, and goes deep into the heart and hope of the Gospel. My husband, a pastor, and I are biased, I suppose, since we agreed with Keller's theme before we started the study: that we are to love the city God has placed us in, pray for it, engage with and not ignore its people/issues/problems. The DVD that accompanies the guide is crucial to the study, so do not skip it!
Angus Mcfarlane
I'm not sure quite what to make of this one. The mixture of questions, study and DVD narrative is a greatway of appealing to numerous learning styles, however, this also risks turning some (me?) off during some segments. The material has the gospel front and centre but is also challenging with regard to the role of money, community and outreach in a Christians life. Unfortunately for me, the group context i studied this in was disjointed initially and we didn't end up completing it together. Due ...more
Randy Elster
This is a great eight-session small group study that focuses on how the gospel impacts all of life and how we live it out. There is a DVD that accompanies it with videos that last about 10-12 minutes for each session. This is a deep study for people who want real change. Small group leaders, it would be easy for this study to devolve into a lecture; you will need to work hard to get your participants to do the homework and projects involved and to participate in the discussions.
A solid and challenging book that is geared toward small group curriculum. The paired video is well done.
Great thought provoking and life changing bible study book.
Not a book that would be easy to understand for new christians as there were quite a lot of sections in the book that were more suited to an 'academic'.
I found the homework quite challenging and time consuming. 15 pages of homework was the average.
Paolina Hawthorne
I haven't come across such a good study in a long time. Really enjoyed it.
Andrew Rumberger
One of the best small group studies I have ever done!
Somehow, at the time of purchase, I missed the fact that this is a study guide that accompanies a DVD teaching series. What is included in the study guide is helpful and, at times, thought provoking.

I appreciate every effort made to keep the Gospel front and center.

During my read I found myself imagining what the DVD segments may have said.

My guess is that the whole book, dvd, small group study is a five star presentation.
Jonathan Wylie
This book has really challenged my view on how to life out life. I thought Keller did a great job of teaching me to have a heart for the city that I live in. He also is encouraging to root out the idols we have and learn to experience life as a community. If you are in a group and would like to be challenged to work together for an eternal purpose. This would be a great place to start.
Darrell Jolley
Started out extremely strong reading this book thru with Church small group, we took too long to finish and was happy to get to the end. Followers of Jesus need to see God's heart for the cities as places where people gather and culture is lived, we do not need to be assimilated nor abandon nor force, but love our way thru the culture and see where He can lead us to change it.
Adam Neel
Fantastic Book!!!! We just got done teaching this with my congregation. It does a wonderful job of giving application to the Gospel. This is a wonderful follow up to "Counterfeit Gods" and is in the same vein as David Platt's "Radical". This is a must read for anyone seeking to discover how to connect their congregation with their community and redeem it for Christ.
This was a great study, that has utterly changed how I view some parts of the gospel. The problem is that the book alone, although worthwhile, wouldn't function. You have to see Keller's videos to truly get the greatest benefit. Still, I loved this and the amazing group of women that I went through the course with.
Timothy Keller is a prolific author. In this six week combination DVD presentation and study, he challenges us as believers to connect what we read in the Bible with living out our lives in the city, our church, with our neighbors and so on. He is a powerful speaker. I need to do the entire study again.
Read Summer 2010 and again Fall 2010 through Summer 2011
Great book and a great small group study. I recommend to those who are struggling with naval gazing and want to get out and apply the grace they have received in Christ to the city in which they live.
it's a study guide for a class, so i'd not give it four stars as a stand alone book. work through this in a group with the dvds, do the hard work of answering the questions thoughtfully, and you'll get it.
Michael Banh
This was a good small group study for those who want snippets of Keller's teaching on what the Gospel is, how it works out in our lives, and what we do with our lives once it's been transformed by the Gospel.
We were doing this as a small group study in the winter and even after we finished I left it on, because I was wanting to go back and read it more in depth, but that's not going to happen.
We used this as the curriculum for our small group this fall. Lots of good material, but it jumps topics every week and I felt like we didn't have time to do any one topic justice.
Kathie Vaughan
Bible study book - full of good stuff to chew on! Our small group did this study and we are still working on our community project. Not your run-of-the-mill study! Excellent!
I enjoyed this book and the perspective it gave. Very useful for anyone looking to get involved in urban missions or increase their evangelical work in their life.
  • Dynamics of Spiritual Life
  • The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • Echoes of Eden: Reflections on Christianity, Literature, and the Arts
  • Leaders Who Last
Timothy Keller is the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan, which he started in 1989 with his wife, Kathy, and three young sons. For over twenty years he has led a diverse congregation of young professionals that has grown to a weekly attendance of over 5,000.

He is also Chairman of Redeemer City to City, which starts new churches in New York and other global cities, and pub
More about Timothy Keller...

“The gospel, if it is really believed, removes neediness - the need to be constantly respected, appreciated, and well regarded; the need to have everything in your life go well; the need to have power over others. All of these great, deep needs continue to control you only because the concept of the glorious God delighting in you with all His being is just that - a concept and nothing more. Our hearts don't believe it, so they operate in default mode. Paul is saying that if you want to really change, you must let the gospel teach you - that is to train, discipline, coach you - over a period of time. You must let the gospel argue with you. You must let the gospel sink down deeply into your heart, until it changes your motivation and views and attitudes.” 8 likes
“In religion our only hope is to live a life good enough to require God to bless us, so every instance of sin and repentance is therefore traumatic, unnatural and threatening. Only under great duress do religious people admit they have sinned, because their only hope is their moral goodness.
In the gospel the knowledge of our acceptance in Christ makes it easier to admit that we are flawed, because we know we won't be cast off if we confess the true depths of our sinfulness. Our hope is in Christ's righteousness, not our own, so it is not as traumatic to admit our weaknesses and lapses.”