Save Queen of Sheba

Save Queen of Sheba

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The vicious attack on their wagon train killed almost everyone - except David and his younger sister, whom he calls Queen of Sheba. The two are stranded on the deserted trail, and have to live by their wits and whatever supplies they can scavenge. And although David is seriusly hurt, he knows that frail Queen of Sheba is counting on him. He can only hope that their parents...more
Published September 28th 1990 by Avon Books (first published June 18th 1981)

Luke. Getman
I am reading the book SAVE QUEEN OF SHEBA by Louise Moeri and am really liking it. I like this book because it is very good at describing the forests and, in particular, the willow trees. I like how the willow trees were described as entrapping. A boy named David (King David) and his younger sister, Sheba(Queen Sheba), and their wagon trail get attacked by unexpected visitors. Their parents have fled with the rest of the team leaving the siblings alone. David and Sheba are the only ones left beh...more
Ann
Years ago I was the sole librarian at a small, rural branch. Deciding it was my duty to know the collection, I chose random titles regardless of recommended ages.

"Save Queen of Sheba", an adventure story for young reluctant readers, caught my attention from the opening lines when King David becomes conscious after an Indian attack on their wagon train and realizes he has been scalped.

King David, who is twelve, and his spoiled little sister Queen of Sheba, who is six, are the only survivors of t...more
Nevada Libert
half of there wagon team was attacked by indians the other half got away king david must save his little sister and to bertect them from indians. to kids all a lone in an empty preire nobody to look after them little food. they have to hurry and find the rest of the wagon team before it is to late.
Jessie
reading book in cavanaghs class so good
Nancy
This story starts out after an Indian attack on a wagon train heading west. The only 2 survivors are 12 year old King David and his 6 year old sister Queen of Sheba. David has been partially scalped and has difficulty taking care of himself, let alone the highly annoying Queen. (As a former Kindergarten teacher, I take a bit of offense at Queen of Sheba's lack of self control and common sense.) Anyway, the story centers around their attempt to find the remainder of the wagon train that escaped f...more
Amy
I found this book in my school's library last week and had to check it out. I remember loving it as a child! It is a fast read, very interesting! Two children survive an Indian attack on their wagon train, and they set out to find the rest of the train that escaped. They believe their parents escaped, as their family's wagon is missing. The boy is named King David, and his little sister is Queen Sheba. I think I will read this aloud to my class, as we are studying historical fiction now. Another...more
Stephanie
Now, I thought this was a great story. The theme is survival against the elements. As an adult, I know the kids have to find their parents again, but they have real struggles along the way that keep you wanting to read the story. The story was full of similies, and vivid descriptions, which would make Saving Queen of Sheba a great mentor text for writing. Ironically, I did not see this book listed on the most challenged books list. King David says "damn" and "hell" and mutters "Oh, Lord."
Lisa Rathbun
I loved the first chapter - very intense with great details that made the reader feel part of the scene. I thought the story, though realistic, might have moved a little slowly, and then I felt the ending was way, way, way too sudden. After pages and pages of details about day after endless day trudging through the prairie and pulling grass for the horse to eat, I thought I deserved a better ending scene.
Eva
This was my favorite book for a long time as a child. It is set in the frontier days. My imagination had a field day with this one. I was the queen of sheba riding on my horse crossing the prairie and hoping I wouldnt get scalped by the indians. I think I might have to buy it to read to my daughter. And son for that matter. My own little Queen of Sheba and King David.
Cher
I think this is the book my 5th grade teacher used to read aloud in class to us? It was either a classic from the first half of the 20th C or it was published around 1984.

I remember it was about westgoing homesteaders running into American Indian tribes and having to fight them.

I thought it was fascinating at the time, but I have no idea how I'd react to the tale now.
Lindsay
I first read this book in 5th grade and though I couldn't remember the title, parts of the story stuck with me so that when I saw it in the bookstore ten years later, I had to buy it. I still really enjoy this coming-of-age story set in the old west.
Jenn
I read this book based on a recommendation by my sIxth grader. It's a very descriptive book which makes you feel like you are experiencing the conditions and emotions King David is feeling...so much responsibility for such a young guy.
Heather
I read it with my 5th graders while studying Westward Expansion. They LOVED it and honestly so did I! It was a great book filled with lots of spots to stop and discuss. The ending was a little disappointing though.
Darlene Andre
This book shares the tragedy that can be part of the journey west. The ending left my students thinking. I love books that don't wrap everything up neatly at the end. Life isn't like that either.
Stacie
I read this book in the third grade, and it impacted me so much I had to find it. It took me forever to remember the name of it... but I finally did and yeah- it's in my hot little hands now!
Kirsten Murphy
I read this book for the first time in 5th grade and have revisited it several times since. A fascinating tale of the westward movement and the trials faced by one particular family.
Lauren
The thing I love about this book is that it is classic however it's very different from most classics and really shows a lot of emotions; which I think is very important in a book.
Odette
Amy P.
A really great young readers book that is perfect for any child with a great imagination and love for the pioneering way of life.
DAL R A
it was ok.i learned family is important[ i all redy nuwe:].it had 114 pages
Debbie
2 children left alive after Indian attack on wagons
Shwetha
this is sooo sad. another read aloud.
M
Amy
Amy added it
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Star Mother's Youngest Child A Horse for X. Y. Z.. The Forty-Third War The Girl Who Lived on the Ferris Wheel Journey to the Treasure