The Seashore Book

The Seashore Book

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"A young boy, who has never seen the sea, asks his mother to describe it. From there, Zolotow carefully chooses her words to create a poem full of the colors, sounds, and sights of a day at the beach. Minor's softly detailed renderings reinforce the gentle mood." 'SLJ. "[Zolotow's] words have a special lilt that lingers long after the book is closed." 'NYT. Notable 1992 Ch...more
Published May 7th 1994 by HarperCollins (first published 1992)

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsStellaluna by Janell CannonSnow by Roy McKieSwimmy by Leo LionniWhere's My Sock? by Joyce Dunbar
Preschool-'S'
8th out of 9 books — 4 voters
Animal Mothers by Atsushi KomoriWhose Nose and Toes? by John ButlerHave You Heard the Nesting Bird? by Rita GrayThe Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyAll the World by Liz Garton Scanlon
Montessori 0-3 Classroom
19th out of 79 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Lana Clifton
Have you ever met a child who has never been to the beach? Help them to imagine what sights and sounds one would encounter through the assuring voice of a mother. Her words are comforting, and will transport you to a place you will long to visit. Over sand dunes and under waves, she gives descriptive vocabulary to paint this imaginary adventure. The pictures accurately illustrate both living and non-living participants of the oceanic habitat- even that which is often overlooked. If you close you...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Grab another large slim book or piece of cardboard. Lay it over the images on the right-hand pages as you read the text on the left-hand pages. Try to picture yourself in the scene, seeing the images, before you reveal the image. I surely do wish I'd had the sense to do that, or that the book was designed to make you turn the page to see the image for each section of text. After all, the concept of the book is that a mother is helping her child understand what the seashore is, though he's never...more
Dolly
Nov 19, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale about an imaginary trip to the seashore. A boy and his mother who live in the mountains talk about a wonderful day at the ocean, with such vivid imagery and sensory detail that it's as if they were truly there. The illustrations are magnificent and the story is soothing, perfect for bedtime.
Kirsten
The illustrations are beautiful & the story is wonderful. I love this author.
Shannon
So beautiful! This was suggested by our Harcourt social studies curriculum for studying different regions, and I think it's perfect for kids who might never have been to the seashore."The cold water makes your skin feel like peppermint" is my favorite line. Also good for discussing second person perspective. But did the family at the seashore HAVE to be blonde and white?
Julie Graham 47150
This is a beautiful book about the seashore, both in text and illustration. I read it during our study of the ocean. My students who had been to the beach were very excited to share their own experiences as I read the book and many of my students who had never been still enjoy pouring over the book to look at the watercolor paintings.
Cindi
I loved this book because it is the middle of the winter and it transported me to a summer day along Lake Michigan (well, all except for the crabs!) About a boy who has never been to the seashore imagining himself there as his mother describes it. Great artwork!
Julie
I loved the imagery and figurative language in this book about a boy who's never been to the sea and asks his mother to tell him about it. There are great examples of metaphor and similes that are easy to talk about with your children.
Corinne
A mom tells a story of what it would be like spending the day at the beach. The mom is a good story teller and by the end the child must feel like they actually went.
SCES
Jan 17, 2011 SCES rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: o
Makes you feel like you are at the beach! Great descriptions of the beach with many forms of figurative language used. Comp. strategy: VISUALIZING.
-Susan
Tessa
If Zolotow has written a bad book, I certainly haven't read it yet. Loved this one - made me SO miss the ocean in my current home of land-locked Utah!
Evelyn Jessica
Beautiful imagery and detail. You really feel like you're relaxing at the seashore. A little long for keeping the attention of kindergartners.
Trista
A peaceful book about a boy who lives in the mountains and his mom describes to him what a day at the beach would be like. Very nice illustrations.
Janae
I doubt this would rank high with 'W', but the language and description were beautiful. A good book for teaching imagery.
Molly
This made me want to move to the coast! The illustrations are beautiful and really capture the feel of the seashore.
With a title like The Seashore Book, this book is sweet, but boring.
Ryan
memoir book study - family and beach themes
Carol Maskus
Gorgeous illustrations and great concept!
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Tarah
Tarah added it
Jul 25, 2014
Leslie Marley
Leslie Marley marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Joh
Joh added it
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Charlotte Zolotow (born Charlotte Gertrude Shapiro) was an American author, poet, editor, and publisher of many books for children.
She was published by more than 20 different houses (many of which she has outlasted). She was an editor, and later publisher, at Harper & Row, which was called Harper & Brothers when she began to work there and is now known as HarperCollins.
Among the many write...more
More about Charlotte Zolotow...
Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present William's Doll The Storm Book When the Wind Stops Big Sister and Little Sister