Start by marking “Between Boyfriends” as Want to Read:
Between Boyfriends

Between Boyfriends

In this sharp, entertaining, wry-but-tender debut, Michael Salvatore follows one man's search for the perfect boyfriend in a hilariously imperfect world.
Single, slightly neurotic Steven Bartholomew Ferrante loves his sharp-tongued, loyal friends, his chaotic job as producer for the daytime soap "If Tomorrow Never Comes, " and his crazy Sicilian mother, not necessarily in
Published May 25th 2010 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Between Boyfriends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Boyfriends

Librarian Kate
Mar 30, 2012 Librarian Kate rated it really liked it
I can't remember when I laughed so much over a book... I found Between Boyfriends when I was paging through the available e-books in the public library catalog, so I could test out downloading one onto my phone. I was (very pleasantly) surprised to see an M/M title - I recognized the author's name since I'd actually cataloged this book in the LGBT library I volunteer with, and thought "hurray! I shall check this out and show the public library that they should get LOTS of gay and lesbian romance ...more
Joe Scholes
Sep 10, 2010 Joe Scholes rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
It took me a long time to get into this book. The characters were more caricatures, their depth defined by their witty dialog and pseudo-social angst. Oh, it was funny, mostly, and there were a few times I laughed out loud. But overall, the situations depicted at best either tragically flawed characters knitted from the author's imagination, or at worst, characters based on stereotypical gay men who sashay through life thinking only of sex.

Only the last third of the book was deeper than a dinghy
Chris
May 15, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
edgeprovidence.com
Armando
Oct 07, 2013 Armando rated it it was amazing
Very much enjoyed this story. The writing was smart, comedic, and real. The characters were a bit out there, but I can definitely see the realism in each of them. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy a good laugh.
Logan Clark
Nov 28, 2014 Logan Clark rated it it was amazing
seriously entertaining
Elisa Rolle
Dabbed as “summer reading”, something that usually is light and easily forgotten, Between Boyfriends was one of the most nice surprise I had lately; I can really imagine someone finding this book in 20 years or so, in some yard sale, with the cover full of wrinkles, since it came out directly in paperback, and having again the same surprise I had. Between Boyfriends is witty, romantic and shocking; it’s a full immersion in the most flaming and gayish gay life you can imagine, with characters com ...more
Stephen Osborne
Dec 17, 2010 Stephen Osborne rated it liked it
First off, the good things (and there were many). A nice, breezy style. A likable narrator. Some very funny plot twists and a story that doesn't grow old halfway through the book. However, I found that all too often I'd be reading along and suddenly a passage would annoy the hell out of me. Mostly these concerned the over-used pop culture references. I don't know the age of the author, but I'm guessing he is older than his early thirties characters, because most of the references concerned 1970s ...more
Curtis
I went into this book really hoping to like it. And based on some of the recent books I've read that have focused on a gay man trying to find love in the city, I figured it would be a good read. But I honestly had a really hard time with it, mostly due to the writing style and the presentation of the main character. The narration is overly descriptive (and I can hear my former creative writing teacher screaming at me for saying something like that) in that things are oddly specific that one woul ...more
Kirsti
Oct 21, 2011 Kirsti rated it really liked it
A fun read. Quirky characters that sometimes make you laugh, with sassy sex talk and real friendships. Steven is a likeable character, as is Flynn and Frank. I laughed aloud a few times while reading this book; it is a lighthearted romance that leaves you surprised at the end. Great writing too, really funny and flows well, although there were a few points where the plot seemed to be going around in circles, it all worked out in the end. My only criticism would be I couldn't remember most of the ...more
Jim
Jun 25, 2012 Jim rated it it was ok
Shelves: glbt, adult-glbt

Oy, I get the main character is a soap opera producer, but his life apparently WAS a soap opera! the writing style of this book was Sex in the City meets Sean Hayes - so super gay. Which was amusing at times but it just be came a lot of fluff. My biggest annoyance with the book was how it felt like characters sold suddenly and drastically changer mannerisms to fit some new plot device or twist. A few just kept having their behaviors change so much that they seemed more schizophrenic than anythi
Gregory Allen
This book was said to be a type of gay 'Sex And the City' so I figured it would be right up my alley. It was a quick read and I felt drawn in by the characters and their plight. I did find myself doing too much math while reading...only because the main character was in his 30s, but his thoughts of the past seemed closer to my age and older (in his 40s)...but that is but a minor thing. If you don't allow yourself to question his references, it is a fun summer read.
Amy
Feb 17, 2015 Amy rated it did not like it
Shelves: glbtq, abandoned, 2015
I have been having a hard time finding a decent book to read - most have just not drawn me in, so I felt no need to review them.

This, on the other hand...I got only 10 pages in before I wanted to hurl it across the room. The main character, Steven, is so unlikable that I just could go no further with him. He is judgmental and so caught up with himself that I don't care if he ever finds happiness.
Michael
Feb 08, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing
Well, since I wrote this book under the name Michael Salvatore I think it's brilliant ;-) Actually it's a really fun romp. It's gay fiction and is best described as Sex & the City meets Will & Grace. Looney, hilarious, with just the right amount of sweet, honest moments. If you like this sort of fiction, I think you'll enjoy it.
Ryan Sheridan
Jul 16, 2013 Ryan Sheridan rated it it was amazing
This is a must-read for every gay guy I can think of. The fact that the book takes place in NYC and the fact that the characters are so relatable makes you feel like you're reading your best friend's diary. I never wanted to put this book down.
Kay Sachse
Mar 10, 2012 Kay Sachse rated it liked it
Shelves: schwulenromane
Well, yes, of course I didnt expect a nobel prize winner here but this very light story was nothing more than just a wee bit entertaining. Lets follow Steven and see how his life changes and how he tries to find true love. Good for some beach or bath tub reading. ...more
Brian Gonzalez
Nov 02, 2011 Brian Gonzalez rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the humour throughout the book. It was an easy to read book with a nice inspiring ending. I recommend this book if you are looking for something that is super funny, short, and an easy read.
Alex Breitman
Dec 20, 2013 Alex Breitman rated it liked it
Took me a while to get into the book as it felt like the characters were all based on stereotype and only cared about sex. As that changed, I started to enjoy the book more as it dove deeper into their relationships.
Todd
Dec 27, 2010 Todd rated it liked it
I fell in love with the characters and there are some funny lines and good sarcasm.It felt like real-life. Otherwise, it was too slow, too long and predictable.
Don
Mar 22, 2013 Don rated it really liked it
Fun easy read. This is the type of uncomplicated read that I enjoy sometimes...not too deep just easy to stay captivated and turn the pages and enjoy the story.
Oscar E
Mar 10, 2016 Oscar E rated it did not like it
Ay first this book was humorous enough to engage me for a few chapters. However it's filled with stero types that feel really old even though the book was published only six years ago.
Susie Steadman
Nov 02, 2013 Susie Steadman rated it really liked it
this is a really nice romance.
Cath Cuss
May 21, 2014 Cath Cuss rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Tom Munsell
Aug 14, 2015 Tom Munsell rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. What an interesting group of friends. And family too.
6 stars
Danni Rose
Jan 16, 2013 Danni Rose rated it liked it
Hilarious. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a fun read. It reminded me a lot of Queer as Folk, so I also recommend it to anyone who enjoys that sort of thing.
Kate McMurray
Jul 11, 2010 Kate McMurray rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a really fun book with a likable, funny narrator.
Rancy Breece
Mar 06, 2013 Rancy Breece rated it it was ok
Between Boyfriends is a fun read with lots of great characters and several plot twists.
Bronwyn Rykiert
Jul 24, 2011 Bronwyn Rykiert rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, library-book
I found this book a hard read. I chose it for a challenge but could not get into it and I have recently decided that if a book is not at least 3 stars it is not worth reading.
Cotilla
May 24, 2011 Cotilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Absolutely hilarious. The only flaw: Sebastian.
Ross Slater
Ross Slater rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Matthew Tufts
Matthew Tufts rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Now writing under his full name Michael Griffo, Michael Salvatore is an award-winning writer and author of {Between} Boyfriends (Kensington). He is a graduate of New York University, has studied at Playwrights Horizons and Gotham Writers Workshop, and has written several screenplays. He lives in Secaucus, NJ. To find out more about his work, visit www.michaelsalvatorebooks.com.
More about Michael Salvatore...