Start by marking “Kindergarten Diary” as Want to Read:
Kindergarten Diary

Kindergarten Diary

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Starting kindergarten can be a little scary. But Annalina shows us there are lots of new and exciting things to look forward to—meeting your teacher, playing on the monkey bars, feeding the pet tortoise, and making new friends. Experience the ups and downs of the first days of kindergarten through Annalina's very own diary (as told to Antoinette Portis) and discover why th ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Kindergarten Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kindergarten Diary

The Luxe by Anna GodbersenParanormalcy by Kiersten WhiteEverlasting by Alyson NoelFriend or Fae by Hannah BlatchfordStarcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Dressed in Pink
143rd out of 159 books — 13 voters
The Kissing Hand by Audrey PennDavid Goes To School by David ShannonMiss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph SlateThe Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha WingChu's First Day of School by Neil Gaiman
Picture Books About Kindergarten
63rd out of 102 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

paula
Check out this quote from Kindergarten Diary:

We are Room 2K.
We are fine!

Assertive. Clear-eyed. Defiant-like. Almost... anthemic. And, written as it is beneath a drawing of three little kids hanging upside-down, big smiles on their faces and their belly-buttons showing, "fine" begins to assume a whole bunch of meaning:

* First kid (subtext): "Not only are we 'fine,' we are happy and fine!"
* Second kid (subtext): "And we're just going to get fine-r!"
* Third kid (subtext): "Not only did we have
Dianna
This would probably be good for kids going into kindergarten who are a bit afraid. I won't be reading it to my son again, as I think it could plant a seed of anxiety that isn't currently there.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This is a great book to read to a kindergarten class at the beginning of the school year. However, I was sad to realize that in some ways, kinder is no longer like what is depicted in this book.
Tam
Jul 31, 2014 Tam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
Mary Ann
"I don't want to go to Big School with big kids. What if they're mean?" worries Annalina on the day before she starts kindergarten. But her mom insists that she really has to go to school, and here we have her diary of her first month in kindergarten. I loved how this story really helped get inside the feelings of the child, showing what's scary and fun about school. The illustrations are lively and fun. Annalina has a wonderful imagination. When she worries that her teacher will be scary, she i ...more
Sheeba Virani
This is a great book to use in the Pre-K classroom towards the end of the year when children are getting ready to transition to Kindergarten. It helps children acknowledge their fears and worries about Kindergarten especially if they are changing schools. The book explains in detail the activities and routines that occur in a Kindergarten classroom. It helps children focus on the fun that awaits them and prepares them for easy transition.
Extension
After reading this book in a large group setting
Naomi
A great read for a new K student. Done in a diary format shows the growth of Annalina during her first days of Kindergarten and that it isn't so scary to be the new kid on the block.
I love the diary format of this book, the illustrations that perfectly accent the text & how it brings up all of the major fears of starting big kid school! Pre-K & new kinders.
Jessica Gappy
A little too long without much going on. Couldn't keep my 5 year olds attention even though she really wanted to like it.
Brandy
Ms. Portis did a tremendous job with this book telling the story of an average five year old girl who is a little anxious and scared about starting kindergarten. As a teacher I would choose this book to share with my kindergarten class on the very first day of school. This book can lead to a discussion about what the children should expect for the year and sprecial events or activities that may happen. It would also be a good time to talk about the differences and similarities between preeschool ...more
Tatiana
A reassuring account of the first month of school, counting down the kindergarten jitters on the day before the first day. This diary has the quirky voice of a little girl who voices her concerns about what to expect at school, but is determined to have a good time and enjoy herself. The illustrations are simple yet vibrant, and the story itself will resonate with all youngsters anticipating the first big day in kindergarten.

Highly recommended for ages five and up, and for the first day of schoo
Cheyenne
Great illustrations. There are some things that my Kinders might be envious of that they don't get to have in Kinder.
Gphatty
I really liked this book. I love Portis in general, and I rather wish this book was as great as Penguin Story, Not A Box, etc. But I found the format tricky to navigate, and the concepts a little harder than the ones she normally tackles. It is very busy -- not as bad as Marissa Moss' diary/journal books, but similar. And thus, I think this book would be better for someone slightly older - not necessarily in kindergarten, to whom this kind of book is typically marketed toward.
Tara Ribblett
Kindergarten Diary is a book that begins with a little girl who does not want to go to kindergarten. She is afraid of the teacher and worried about the other kids being mean to her. As she goes through the month of September she learns how much fun kindergarten can be. The pictures and the layout of this book fit the needs of children just starting kindergarten. It is an imaginative and informative book and can be very helpful for the first day of kindergarten.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Annalina is anxious about starting kindergarten. Readers get to follow her diary through the first month of school and "Anna" learns that kindergarten isn't scary after all.

I enjoyed Anna's honest feelings, her wild imagination, and the hilarious pictures (especially of Ms. Duffy).

Unfortunately, I could not convince my son (kindergartener) to read this because the main character is a girl. I think the book appeals to both boys and girls...but maybe not.
The Library Lady
Pitch perfect. Portis gets the feelings of a 5 yr old just right--the anxieties, the ups and downs of friendships, the struggles and triumphs. I was particularly amused by Annalina's deciding to become "Anna" for school since it's easier to learn to write it--something I can empathize with myself. A great addition for a topic where there are plenty of good books, yet always room for another one come August and September.
Davina
Kindergarten Diary is about the first month of a little girl's Kindergarten experience. Before going to school she fears the big kids and teachers; after she has been there a few days she learns how to climb on the monkey-bars and share with the other students, and even how to write her name; she experiences show-and-tell, picture day, and even snacks. Best of all she learns about what it means to be a friend.
Tanika
This story is about how the first day of kindergarten can be scary. One little girl, Annalina, shows us that there are lots of new and exciting things to look forward to. Annalina will show us her experience of kindergarten through her very own diary. This book is great to read on the first day of kindergarten. The students will learn that kindergarten is not as bad as they think.
Alissa
A diary about kindergarten written from a kid's point of view. I loved the funny little things in it that an adult can totally relate like when the girl gets up for show and tell and goes on and on about her doll shoes until her teacher says 'thank you Anna. Now let someone else have a turn." Then Anna writes in her journal 'I LOVE show-and-tell.'
Very cute book
Jeanette
Mar 29, 2012 Jeanette marked it as childrens
Shelves: picture-books
Another very cute story from Portis. I read this while at the bookstore. A great book for kids starting school but it is for that reason that I doubt I will read it to my kids. We homeschool and therefore the message of this book is kinda lost on my kids. But I would still highly recommend this for people with nervous kindergartners headed to school.
Matt
This book is wonderful to read to children in kindergarten. It starts out the first day of school and Annalina is terrified to go to big girl school. Through an excellent design of pictures and text it takes her trough her journy of kindergarten whether its good experiences or bad she always comes out and says "we are fine".
Literacy Group
This is a book all about the fears children have before going to kindergarten. The book about what children want to wear, what they think their teacher will be like what they learn and more. The goes day by day following a little girl. It starts on September 1 and goes on until one day....

Grades k-2
Ana
Told in diary format on that all-too-familiar lined paper, this endearing little account of Annalina's first month in kindergarten is very charming. I especially loved her choice of outfit for the first day of school! Cowboy boots, her rainbow bathing suit, flannel shirt, and a tutu = too cute.
Lorna
Cute book in diary format which looks at the worries of an entering kindergartner, and how those worries ease away as Annalina, gets the hang of school and all the fun times it actually has. Will definitely be recommending it to my two nephews who are heading off to kindergartner this fall!
Tricia
Written in the ever-popular journal format, Annalina shares her thoughts and worries about starting kindergarten. Starting the day before her first day of school and ending September 30th, her thoughts are shared with humor and fun illustrations. My only regret is that the book ended!
Jane
Where was this book when my kids started kindergarten? Upbeat yet honest about nerves and fears of going off to school. I liked the use of kindergarten lined paper as the background for the illustrations. Nice touch.
Michelle Nero
A great read aloud for kindergarten in the beginning of the year. See, kindergarten is fine!

It would be super cute to have kindergarten students "write" in a diary all year. Amazing to see the progression!
Debbie
Kind of clever, good for a child transitioning from preschool to kinder. Very honest, similar to my daughter's and son's experience in kindergarten, right down to the one boy and one girl friend.
babyhippoface
Kindergartners are gonna like this one. There's a good mix of fear and trepidation with confidence and learning, monkey bars and jump rope with sharing building blocks and big-red-ball hitting.
Karen Arendt
A cute starting school story, perfect for those that are nervous or for the first day of school. I like the use of lined writing paper for the text and bold lines in the illustrations.
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • The Chicken Thief
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • Time to Sleep, Sheep the Sheep!
  • Kubla Khan: The Emperor of Everything
  • Little Black Crow
  • Swim! Swim!
  • There's Going to Be a Baby
  • Mitchell's License
  • Olivia Goes to Venice
  • Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World
  • Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
  • Rain School
  • Dinosaur vs. the Library
  • Mr. Putney's Quacking Dog
  • Brown Rabbit in the City
  • A Pet for Petunia
Antoinette attended the UCLA School of Fine Arts and is a former creative director at Disney. She lives in Southern California.
More about Antoinette Portis...
Not a Box Not a Stick A Penguin Story Froodle Princess Super Kitty