Start by marking “Kindergarten Diary” as Want to Read:
Kindergarten Diary

Kindergarten Diary

Starting kindergarten can be a little scary. But Annalina shows us there are lots of new and exciting things to look forward to—meeting your teacher, playing on the monkey bars, feeding the pet tortoise, and making new friends. Experience the ups and downs of the first days of kindergarten through Annalina's very own diary (as told to Antoinette Portis) and discover why ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Kindergarten Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kindergarten Diary

The Luxe by Anna GodbersenParanormalcy by Kiersten WhiteEverlasting by Alyson NoelFriend or Fae by Hannah BlatchfordStarcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Dressed in Pink
144th out of 160 books — 15 voters
The Kissing Hand by Audrey PennMiss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph SlateDavid Goes To School by David ShannonPete the Cat by Eric LitwinCurious George's First Day of School by Margret Rey
Picture Books About Kindergarten
66th out of 106 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

paula
Jul 19, 2010 paula rated it it was amazing
Check out this quote from Kindergarten Diary:

We are Room 2K.
We are fine!

Assertive. Clear-eyed. Defiant-like. Almost... anthemic. And, written as it is beneath a drawing of three little kids hanging upside-down, big smiles on their faces and their belly-buttons showing, "fine" begins to assume a whole bunch of meaning:

* First kid (subtext): "Not only are we 'fine,' we are happy and fine!"
* Second kid (subtext): "And we're just going to get fine-r!"
* Third kid (subtext): "Not only did we have
Dianna
Dec 13, 2010 Dianna rated it liked it
This would probably be good for kids going into kindergarten who are a bit afraid. I won't be reading it to my son again, as I think it could plant a seed of anxiety that isn't currently there.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Sep 18, 2010 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to read to a kindergarten class at the beginning of the school year. However, I was sad to realize that in some ways, kinder is no longer like what is depicted in this book.
Turrean
Absolutely charming!
Bethany
Sep 25, 2016 Bethany rated it liked it
Read for 5420 class

Picture storybook with theme concerning how to not be afraid of kindergarten
Amanda Blau
Sep 19, 2016 Amanda Blau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
Journal of all the great things that happen at Kindergarten.
Lacey Louwagie
One of my favorite genres to read is published diaries -- I don't really care what the diaries are about -- war, adolescence, writing, I'll read 'em all. I also like fictional stories that are told through diary entries or letters, such as I Capture the Castle or Code Name Verity. So I thought it might be fun to see what a "fictional diary account" from a kindergartener might look like.

While this book is cute, there is nothing that really distinguishes it as a "fictional diary" rather than just
Tam
Jul 31, 2014 Tam rated it liked it
Shelves: school
Mary Ann
"I don't want to go to Big School with big kids. What if they're mean?" worries Annalina on the day before she starts kindergarten. But her mom insists that she really has to go to school, and here we have her diary of her first month in kindergarten. I loved how this story really helped get inside the feelings of the child, showing what's scary and fun about school. The illustrations are lively and fun. Annalina has a wonderful imagination. When she worries that her teacher will be scary, she ...more
Sheeba Virani
Jan 25, 2012 Sheeba Virani rated it liked it
Shelves: feelings
This is a great book to use in the Pre-K classroom towards the end of the year when children are getting ready to transition to Kindergarten. It helps children acknowledge their fears and worries about Kindergarten especially if they are changing schools. The book explains in detail the activities and routines that occur in a Kindergarten classroom. It helps children focus on the fun that awaits them and prepares them for easy transition.
Extension
After reading this book in a large group setting
Tatiana
Aug 13, 2010 Tatiana rated it it was amazing
A reassuring account of the first month of school, counting down the kindergarten jitters on the day before the first day. This diary has the quirky voice of a little girl who voices her concerns about what to expect at school, but is determined to have a good time and enjoy herself. The illustrations are simple yet vibrant, and the story itself will resonate with all youngsters anticipating the first big day in kindergarten.

Highly recommended for ages five and up, and for the first day of schoo
Brandy
Mar 09, 2011 Brandy rated it it was amazing
Ms. Portis did a tremendous job with this book telling the story of an average five year old girl who is a little anxious and scared about starting kindergarten. As a teacher I would choose this book to share with my kindergarten class on the very first day of school. This book can lead to a discussion about what the children should expect for the year and sprecial events or activities that may happen. It would also be a good time to talk about the differences and similarities between preeschool ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Annalina is anxious about starting kindergarten. Readers get to follow her diary through the first month of school and "Anna" learns that kindergarten isn't scary after all.

I enjoyed Anna's honest feelings, her wild imagination, and the hilarious pictures (especially of Ms. Duffy).

Unfortunately, I could not convince my son (kindergartener) to read this because the main character is a girl. I think the book appeals to both boys and girls...but maybe not.
Tara Ribblett
Jan 25, 2012 Tara Ribblett rated it really liked it
Shelves: eced-221
Kindergarten Diary is a book that begins with a little girl who does not want to go to kindergarten. She is afraid of the teacher and worried about the other kids being mean to her. As she goes through the month of September she learns how much fun kindergarten can be. The pictures and the layout of this book fit the needs of children just starting kindergarten. It is an imaginative and informative book and can be very helpful for the first day of kindergarten.
The Library Lady
Aug 12, 2011 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pitch perfect. Portis gets the feelings of a 5 yr old just right--the anxieties, the ups and downs of friendships, the struggles and triumphs. I was particularly amused by Annalina's deciding to become "Anna" for school since it's easier to learn to write it--something I can empathize with myself. A great addition for a topic where there are plenty of good books, yet always room for another one come August and September.
Davina
Jul 21, 2010 Davina rated it really liked it
Kindergarten Diary is about the first month of a little girl's Kindergarten experience. Before going to school she fears the big kids and teachers; after she has been there a few days she learns how to climb on the monkey-bars and share with the other students, and even how to write her name; she experiences show-and-tell, picture day, and even snacks. Best of all she learns about what it means to be a friend.
Gphatty
Oct 26, 2010 Gphatty rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, picture
I really liked this book. I love Portis in general, and I rather wish this book was as great as Penguin Story, Not A Box, etc. But I found the format tricky to navigate, and the concepts a little harder than the ones she normally tackles. It is very busy -- not as bad as Marissa Moss' diary/journal books, but similar. And thus, I think this book would be better for someone slightly older - not necessarily in kindergarten, to whom this kind of book is typically marketed toward.
Literacy Group
This is a book all about the fears children have before going to kindergarten. The book about what children want to wear, what they think their teacher will be like what they learn and more. The goes day by day following a little girl. It starts on September 1 and goes on until one day....

Grades k-2
Tanika
Apr 16, 2011 Tanika rated it it was amazing
This story is about how the first day of kindergarten can be scary. One little girl, Annalina, shows us that there are lots of new and exciting things to look forward to. Annalina will show us her experience of kindergarten through her very own diary. This book is great to read on the first day of kindergarten. The students will learn that kindergarten is not as bad as they think.
Alissa
May 27, 2013 Alissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A diary about kindergarten written from a kid's point of view. I loved the funny little things in it that an adult can totally relate like when the girl gets up for show and tell and goes on and on about her doll shoes until her teacher says 'thank you Anna. Now let someone else have a turn." Then Anna writes in her journal 'I LOVE show-and-tell.'
Very cute book
Jeanette
Mar 29, 2012 Jeanette marked it as childrens
Shelves: picture-books
Another very cute story from Portis. I read this while at the bookstore. A great book for kids starting school but it is for that reason that I doubt I will read it to my kids. We homeschool and therefore the message of this book is kinda lost on my kids. But I would still highly recommend this for people with nervous kindergartners headed to school.
Matt
Jan 25, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: eced-221
This book is wonderful to read to children in kindergarten. It starts out the first day of school and Annalina is terrified to go to big girl school. Through an excellent design of pictures and text it takes her trough her journy of kindergarten whether its good experiences or bad she always comes out and says "we are fine".
Michelle Nero
Oct 03, 2011 Michelle Nero rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A great read aloud for kindergarten in the beginning of the year. See, kindergarten is fine!

It would be super cute to have kindergarten students "write" in a diary all year. Amazing to see the progression!
Jane
Oct 19, 2010 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Where was this book when my kids started kindergarten? Upbeat yet honest about nerves and fears of going off to school. I liked the use of kindergarten lined paper as the background for the illustrations. Nice touch.
Lorna
Apr 15, 2012 Lorna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Cute book in diary format which looks at the worries of an entering kindergartner, and how those worries ease away as Annalina, gets the hang of school and all the fun times it actually has. Will definitely be recommending it to my two nephews who are heading off to kindergartner this fall!
Meredith
Jul 23, 2016 Meredith rated it liked it
Another one that's probably better 1:1 than in a group setting ... although I guess in a K classroom, you could then write a class "diary" to go with it. Won't really work for once-a-week library, though.
Ana
Oct 09, 2010 Ana rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Told in diary format on that all-too-familiar lined paper, this endearing little account of Annalina's first month in kindergarten is very charming. I especially loved her choice of outfit for the first day of school! Cowboy boots, her rainbow bathing suit, flannel shirt, and a tutu = too cute.
Tricia
Sep 07, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
Written in the ever-popular journal format, Annalina shares her thoughts and worries about starting kindergarten. Starting the day before her first day of school and ending September 30th, her thoughts are shared with humor and fun illustrations. My only regret is that the book ended!
Paula
Oct 12, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
Annalina's diary entries reflect her feelings and experiences as she goes from being afraid to go to kindergarten to loving it during her first month of school.
Jess Brown
Cute book to help prep those worried preschoolers for elementary school. The illustrations are a mix of photographs and drawings--fun, modern, Mo Willems feel. Overall, a sweet little book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Kubla Khan: The Emperor of Everything
  • Little Black Crow
  • Swim! Swim!
  • Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World
  • The Chicken Thief
  • Kindergarten Rocks!
  • Rain School
  • Time to Sleep, Sheep the Sheep!
  • Mr. Putney's Quacking Dog
  • Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
  • A Balloon for Isabel
  • Brown Rabbit in the City
  • Grandma's Gloves
  • Beaver Is Lost
  • Olivia Goes to Venice
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
Antoinette attended the UCLA School of Fine Arts and is a former creative director at Disney. She lives in Southern California.
More about Antoinette Portis...