Start by marking “Lola Loves Stories” as Want to Read:
Lola Loves Stories

Lola Loves Stories (Lola)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Lovable Lola is back in this imaginative sequel to the best-selling LOLA AT THE LIBRARY.

Lola loves to go to the library with her daddy. Every night she reads a new story, and the next day, she acts it out. One day she's a fairy princess, the next day she goes on a trip to Lagos! She becomes a tiger, a farmer, a pilot. . . . what will Lola be next?

Children and adults will l
Published July 1st 2010 by Charlesbridge (first published September 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lola Loves Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lola Loves Stories

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla  MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
36th out of 113 books — 136 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsI Like Myself! by Karen BeaumontPlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeAmazing Grace by Mary HoffmanMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe
African American Picture Books
77th out of 268 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

The most amazing thing about this book was the fact that the little boy had a doll baby! Overall this was a good story and I loved the way it featured different races of people.
Ka Youa
I really enjoy reading this book, especially if I had children of my own. This story is about a little girl named Lola. She loves going to the library with her dad to borrow books. Each day she borrows a different kind of book. After she reads each story, the next day she becomes the character or pretends to play the character of the story. The story walks you through each day, Monday through Friday.

This book contains few words for students to follow along with colorful pictures. Lola’s charact
Lisa Vegan
Feb 25, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who enjoyed the book Lola at the Library & likes libraries, books & imaginative play
Awhile back I read and enjoyed Lola at the Library by this same author-illustrator team; it was about Lola making a weekly trip to the library with her mother.

This story is about Lola going to the library with her daddy, then daddy reading her a different book each day and Lola taking what she heard/saw in the books to incorporate into her play the next day.

I don’t think I liked this one quite a much as the first book, but I did enjoy it, and I appreciated the father and daughter aspect of the s
Lola and her father go to the library every Saturday and read a different story every night that inspires her imaginative play. A joyful book about the magic of stories. Observant readers will appreciate the nod to Sendak's Max in his wolf suit.
A review
I unabashedly love Lola's stories!

This book explores the adventures one can go on when choosing stories at the library, and I love that Lola gets to choose her own books and then apply what she learns or discovers to her day.

This book would make a great introduction to reading stories and would likely help start the conversation about the adventures that stories can take us on. How do we find answers in books? How do we learn from books? What is the d
I love the way this book provides a counter-narrative to the popular refrain of the absent black father. But not only is Lola's father present, he is actively participating in her literacy development. He even creates a story for Lola that effects her more than any other stories that she reads. The sparkle that her dad's story sets off in Lola's imagination is reflected all the way into the end pages at the beginning and end of the book. This father-daughter relationship is as magical for Lola a ...more
One of the books I looked at for a Toddler Storytime on Imagination, I rather enjoyed this one. It could also be used in a Reading/The Library theme as well. Little Lola loves getting books from the library and hearing the stories read to her by her parents. Everytime she is read to, she uses that story to influence her play afterword, like her mother reads to her about tigers and she spends the next afternoon chasing her friend through the jungle. Recommended for ages 2-6, 4 stars.
Yasmin Lucero
My daughter loves this one. All of the Lola books are favorites of hers. This one has two things that stand out to me: first, an engaged dad (and he's black too! This shouldn't be so rare!) and second, it showcases how Lola's reading inspires her playtime. My daughter especially loves it when Lola pretends to be a tiger (a favorite game of hers as well). I also like the shout out to Maurice Sendak's Wild Things at the end.
OMGG...I am loving these Lola stories more and more. Get them for your kids NOW...preferably from the library! In this one, Lola's books are, of course, grabbed from the library. As her daddy reads them to her, she transitions into the storyline.

So good yet such a powerful message about the awesomeness of reading!
My infant daughter adores her Lola books. She smiles when she sees Lola playing, reading, and running. This one talks about how books can influence your interests and how books are a window to the world. Love the fun illustrative details like sparkly shoes & colorful library shelves.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Cute pictures and a story about how reading is amazing? Count me in!

I normally pick books with more realistic pictures, but these are very well done and fit the tone of the book.

The story follows Lola through the week as she reads books and how it feeds her imagination and her playtime the next day. Read a book about travel - go on adventures with toys. Read a book about tigers - spend time stalking prey through the tall grasses.

I am so glad I found the Lola books. They are sweet books, nothing
Bridget R. Wilson
Lola loves the books she checks out at the library with her dad. Along with a love of stories, Lola also has a lovely imagination. When they read about a princess, Lola is princess for a day. Lola can be anything she reads about. With her imagination, the adventure in the story never ends.

What I thought: An absolutely delightful story. Lola is an adorable character. What librarian wouldn't like a kid who receives so much enjoyment from books? I love her pretending. The only book I recognized was
I love books. I love introducing children to books. I love books that have parents and children sharing books. So this is definitely one I feel should be read and shared with the little one in your life
lola loves stories
anna McQuinn
the story of a little girl who loves her stories each story inspires her to play out aspects of her stories. great for predictions.
Oct 15, 2010 Slayermel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents of young children or Preschool teachers
I really enjoyed this book; it's about a little girl named Lola and her visits to the Library with her dad to borrow books. Each night she reads a story with one of her parents and the next day her play is influenced by what she had read the night before. Lola's imagination soars and she goes on adventures and has the most amazing sparkling shoes. :0)
I particularly loved the little shout out to "Where the Wild things are" at the end of the book. Very cute!

Great illustrations! There's only about
Kelly Ford
I love all of the Lola books! They send a good message, and have a wonderful story to them. Great for toddler times
Really cute, I liked how Lola was using the stories ideas to play pretend as I did the same at her age.
Alma Loredo
Lola’s dad takes her to the library on Saturdays. Her mom and dad take turns reading the books that she brings home from the library. The day after a book is read Lola has the same adventure the book referred to. She was a fairy, tiger in the jungle and even had magical shoes. She uses the books as a way to expand her imagination. This could be a book that is used at the beginning of the school year and shows students that we can learn many different things by simply reading books. This could be ...more
Cute for story time
Kyla Hyden
This is a story about a girl who gets some books from the library with her father. Every time her dad reads her a book, the next day she lives out the story. For example, they read a book about tigers, and the next day Lola pretends she is a tiger living in the jungle. This would be a good book to have in the classroom. It could be used to introduce students to the joys and adventures of reading.
The Lola stories (series? Just sequel?) are too cute.
This is a lovely book about Lola, whose book reading inspires her activities the next day. "On Tuesday Lola chooses a story about friends. All afternoon she and Ben play with their babies. Lola has cappuccino, and her baby has juice." I always love it when there's a bone thrown to the adult reader!
Nicole Flores
A book about a little girl named lola who likes stories and to imagine herself in them. This story can be used to teach children about different cultures, and it would be good to have in a diverse classroom library. The children can also do a do a writing activity about a story/stories that they love.
Pynteya Bate
Very cute story about the girl who likes to go to the library to pick up some books so her parents can read to her. She also likes to act out the characters she hears about from the book, one day she is fairy princess, next she is taking her friends to Paris. I really enjoyed reading it.
A testament to kids reading and their imagination. Lola's parents read her stories at night and the next day she plays pretend based on the books that are being read to her. I'll say this all day, kids should be reading instead of propped up in front of a television all day.
The library is full of stories, and Lola has the imagination to go with them! Every story that she reads inspires her to explore those possibilities with her friends and her clothes. It is a short and simple story, but is full of how reading can enrich a child's life.
Ruth Ann
Lola goes to the library each week and checks out books. After reading a book each night, the next day she acts it out. I especially liked the ending when she reads about a "wild thing" and you just know before you turn the last page exactly how she will be dressed!
Kelly Thevenot
Lola Loves Stories is a good childrens book that discusses the days of the week. It would be great for young children and I could use this book in my classroom. I would use this book during circle time when discussing the days of the week with my students.
A good book for imagination and sequencing, telling the story of Lola, a little girl who loves to read and when she reads a books she pretends to be that character the next day. A good book for sequencing.
  • Please, Baby, Please
  • Say Hello!
  • Pecan Pie Baby
  • Read to Tiger
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • I Love My Hair!
  • Farm Flu
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • Here Comes the Big, Mean Dust Bunny!
  • The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred
  • Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • The Big Elephant in the Room
I am so lucky to spend my time working with books and stories. I work one day a week running groups for babies, toddlers and their parents at a local library; I spend two days a week writing and six days a week as publisher at the tiny independent publisher, Alanna Books.
In my spare time, I read - what a wonderful life!
There are some Children's Books on my shelves (obviously) but for a more compr
More about Anna McQuinn...

Lola (3 books)
  • Lola at the Library
  • Lola Reads to Leo
Lola at the Library Lola Reads to Leo Lola Plants a Garden Leo Loves Baby Time The Sleep Sheep. Anna McQuinn and Hannah Shaw