Start by marking “The Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan (1-11)” as Want to Read:
The Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan (1-11)
Preview

The Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan (The Wheel of Time)

4.6 of 5 stars 4.60  ·  rating details  ·  4,398 ratings  ·  144 reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan, please sign up.

Usaamah And the order is:
10-new spring
11-knife of dreams
12-the gathering storm
13-towers of midnight
14-a memory of light(less)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Best Fantasy Series, Trilogies, and Duologies
129th out of 1,777 books — 7,466 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Series Ever
10th out of 54 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff
This series is the reason that I haven't added anything to Goodreads in a while. I've been reading the 13 books of The Wheel of Time. And I'll say right off that it is fantastic. Rather than reviewing each book individually, I decided to just review the entire series together, since it is an integral story and it just wouldn't do to read any of the books on their own.

I often find myself trying to explain to my friends why I don't like the Harry Potter series, or other similar young adult fantasy
Jimmy
Jun 05, 2011 Jimmy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Recommended to Jimmy by: Andreas
The, without a doubt, best long going fantasy series ever.
Follow Rand, Mat and Perrin as they're led by Moiraine through a world of wonders as the Dragon reborn arrives to the world, reincarnated, after being dead for 3000 years. Many, many other characters will be introduced, loved, hated, understood, wondered about and everything you can think of.
People call Tolkien the best fantasy author of all times, either they haven't read The Wheel of Time, or, they don't have the cognitive capability to
Susan Lingner
I've been reading this series for about 20 years! I actually started to cry when I heard that the author had died! I love the characters and detail in the series, and I think Brandon Sanderson has done a great job continuing in Robert Jordan's style. The last book is suppose to be released In January of 2013 - I can't believe it will actually be complete!
Stephen Sealey
Tolkien WHO? Robert Jordan is the king of fantasy. This series is the best set of fantasy novels ever written, in my humble opinion. I am going to keep this short, because I could write a three hundred page review of this, and STILL not be able to sum up how monumental this series of novels is. (And mind you, I am NOT a real fan of epic fantasy novels.) This set of books positively amazed me.
Will
The first 2, maybe 3 books where enjoyable but Jordan's limitations as a writer rapidly become clear. He obviously stalls the plot, struggles writing dialogue and characterizing females. Often, we are told the results of a conversation rather than given the conversation itself. Women are all portrayed in a same-y fashion, and Jordan's over-reliance on the description of environmental minutiae drags the stories down. If a paragraph began describing either a rope-worked silver tray or the design o ...more
Renee
By far my favourite fantasy novel series. All the characters are beautifully described and the whole universe just came to life. What I particularly liked is the strength of the female characters. At first glance you might think that the book is about Rand, maybe even Perrin and Mat too, but that's not completely true. It's about Moiraine, Nynaeve, Elayne, Egwene and many more too. Some characters are not even always likeable which is fantastic. Usually especially women in literature are portray ...more
David Elliott
This review is for the entire series 1-14

I started reading the Wheel of Time series in 2001 when I had just turned 14. Being a rather tall and skinny boy who fancied himself as having a big destiny I found my hero in Rand al'Thor. Over the next 12 years I read, and re-read, the available books every year or so.

Without a doubt this series gave me the most vivid image of any book I have read as Jordan lovingly creates his characters and their entire world. I believed that this world of magic, in
Kathleen
I just finished the 13th book in this series and there is one final book to be released in January 2013 called "A Memory of Light". This series is the classic fantasy tale of the struggle between light and dark, good and evil, death and life.

Originally, I was reading a Brandon Sanderson trilogy called "The Mistborn Trilogy" which I enjoyed. In researching what else he had written I found that he had finished the last books in the "Wheel of Time" series due to the death of it's author Robert Jor
Katie
Before there was A Song of Ice and Fire, there was The Wheel of Time....

When this series began, I was in eighth grade. By the time it finished, I was four years out of college. Twenty-three years and fourteen books.

To be perfectly honest, I stopped reading the damn thing in high school. By the time book four came out, I realized that I couldn't remember who was where doing what without going back and reading the previous books. That meant over two thousand pages of re-reading before tackling the
Hannah Jo
My entire life has been spent reading these books and it has not been a waste of time. It was torture to wait and depressing Jordan didn't get to finish the series but Sanderson did a great job.
John Balke
Epic! Has it's dry/slow parts but stick with it!
David
The "Wheel Of Time" series starts very well, and has enough unique worldbuilding, interesting plot, and strong characters to make it a great read. The first few books are well told, although at the end of the second book, I was afraid that there was going to be too much common structure to the ends of all the books in the series. That turned out not to be the case.

The series started wandering in book 4 or so, and eventually fell into some sort of plot swamp from which it didn't emerge until abou
Gaye Marshall
I have read books 1 - 13 and enjoyed them each to varying degrees. But I have enjoyed them all. My favourite is the first The Eye of the World, which introduces the main set of characters who inhabit the series, and establishes the world they live in. It is in this book where you see how their unworldly innocence and childhood loyalties and ties change when thrust out into the world.
These characters are the shy and serious Rand, the mischevious Mat, Perrin the gentle thinker and Egwene the fier
Lisfish
May 10, 2014 Lisfish rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of long fantasy series
I started reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan as a Junior in High School. At the time the series was completed up to book 9. Now,12 years and 1 ghost writer later i was finally able to finish what I started all those years ago. The early books in the series (1-4) really resonated with me as a teenager, and I remember being less interested in the books that came later. Now, as an adult, I trudged through the first four, at times feeling as if my eyeballs would roll right out of my h ...more
Anja
Loved the first 7 books although as a woman, I had to smile at the frequent mentions of ample bosoms :)

However, the world is quite rich and the characters are entertaining. Books 8-11 were a little less interesting as things progressed very, very slowly but I've been following this series for more than 20 years and stubbornly continued to buy the books as I wanted to see how it ends.

Sadly, somebody nailed Robert Jordan's coffin shut much too soon but I have read and enjoyed the subsequent book
Shiv Singh
'The wheel weaves as the wheel wills'
After Tokein very few have successfully managed to carve out original universes of their own. Jordan's 'Wheel of time' series is huge, in every manner.
From the concept to the volume to the character plots. He's managed to create a frame where every law of the universe has been crafted by him. The wheel of time, the different ages, the prophesies, physics itself.
The contempt he makes you feel for the Red and Black Ajah, to the uneasiness at the creation of the
Whisper Clutter
I loved every book in this series except the ones that also include the writing of Brandon Sanderson. I will read a few of his works and give them another try.
Andrew Cormier
This series is MASSIVE. A true masterpiece to uphold and a staple for any fantasy lovers - if you can keep track of hundreds of characters and places.
It is one of the better written fantasy series available, and it would not surprise me to see this series eventually made into movies. The only shame is the death of Robert Jordan before he could finish it, but he got a suitable replacement author to do the job.

The final book actually was the worst in my view because of this. It felt like it just
Kyle Wilson
This is why I read.
Jordan
This is my favorite fantasy series of all time!!! Seriously, words cannot describe how much I love this series. I'll admit, the first three books were a bit slow, and difficult to get through, but after that the pace picked right up. Fourteen thousand (more or less) page books can seem a little intimidating, but this series is worth it.

Robert Jordan often describes time and relationships as an intricately woven fabric, and these books prove that Jordan is the ultimate weaver. I am awed by his ab
Ricardo Costa
I loved this series!

This being said, there's a few remarks that I would like to point out. The action takes sometime, where you read around 300 pages for one/two weeks in the timeframe of the main story, this made me sometimes to feel a bit of despair.
I thought the feminine viewpoint was a bit disappointing, going to the stereotypes, without much depth. That part was disappointing.
One of the things I liked the most was the character Mat, which always seemed a wild card, and gave a lot of the co
Cam Howl
Overall a fantastic series, Mat Cauthon in particular was a favourite character (though I will say he was poorly written by Brandon Sanderson). Some books were a little long winded and only contained a few relevant events to move the series along (the 6th or 7th comes to mind) but apart from that my all time favourite series. Have read multiple times!!

Would thoroughly recommend.
Susan Lingner
This is one of my favorite series of books. I started reading it many years ago, right after book 3 came out. The two year interval between releases was awful - I wanted to know immediately what would happen! I cried when I heard that Robert Jordan had died. He had devoted so much of his life to this series, and I thought it was so sad that he wouldn't get to see it completed. Brandon Sanderson did an excellent job of keeping the final books in the style of Robert Jordan. I didn't expect to like ...more
Daniel Valentin-morales
THIS SERIES IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I have no other words for it. The characters are each their own, and Jordan did a marvelous job in keeping me hooked to each individual character regardless of what point they were in, in their personal character arcs. These characters are like family to me, and I wish there were more books coming out, but I'll have to live with the fact that he's dead and Sanderson obviously doesn't want to write more without Jordan's notes as guiding posts.

Seriously if you h
Victoria
My husband and I both loved this series so much that we named our two daughters Aviendha and Elmindreda. And we aren't even that weird...;) that should say enough for how we feel! These books would be good for higher reading level young adults or adults that like to keep it clean. There is no sex or really gory violent scenes, and the world creation is just absolutely outstanding. The only drawback for some is that he provides a lot of detail and you may get bogged down. I've read the whole seri ...more
Dennis Sinclair
Like many series, there are some books that move a little slower than others, and there are times when you feel the plot could have been condensed a little but.... this is still one of the BEST and my most favorite series I have ever read.

When book seven came out, I went back and re-read the first six so I was up to speed on the story. Now that the series is complete I plan to re-read all 14 books. I love the way they ended it, and it really is one of those series where you are happy you are don
5dd
Apr 24, 2013 5dd rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all lovers of fantasy novels
Recommended to 5dd by: I think my brother did (it's been so long that it's hard to remember)
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
Finally! Finally, the last book in the series was released! On the whole, I consider WOT a bit of a guilty pleasure, but I still think it's one of the best fantasy series ever written. Yes, Jordan tends to ramble from time to time, but when he's "on" these books are as immersive as anything I've ever read. And of course it was tragic that Jordan died before completing the series himself. I think Brandon Sanderson did a fantastic job with the last two books in the series, especially considering t ...more
D.W. Hawkins
What to say about a series so popular it has its own online acronym? Reading the Wheel of Time (arguably the most famous and influential fantasy series written during my lifetime) is a major undertaking. For those of us who spent years between books, experiencing the highs and lows of the series, gobbling up new tomes when they came out...it was definitely more than just a good book.

This series lived with me for a significant period of my life. It, for all its pitfalls and faults that people co
Jacob Yarrington
Fun but massively overlong series with umpteen bajillionty-leven character exposition revisitations in EVERY book and that problem compounded exponentially by the factor of the massively over-large cast of characters! If I have to read about Nineve tugging her braid one more time I swear I'll feed her alive to Shaitan one spoonful at a time! Reading the series was so painful for this reason that the only way I was able to FORCE myself to complete it was with audiobooks!
Stephanie Dix
Best fantasy series I have ever read. Takes patience to get through all of the books, I wouldn't recommend trying to get through the whole thing in one go but I could read this whole series again and again without getting bored. I really enjoyed the character development throughout the series, you have to go back to the first book to really appreciate how much each character has grown throughout the series.
  • The Riftwar Saga (The Riftwar Saga, #1-4)
  • The Sword of Truth Gift Set (Sword of Truth, #1-5)
  • Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set (Mistborn, #1-3)
  • The Wheel of Time Roleplaying Game
  • The Elenium: The Diamond Throne / The Ruby Knight / The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #1-3)
  • The Dark Tower Series Collection: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, The Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, The Dark Tower
  • The Clan of the Cave Bear, the Valley of Horses, the Mammoth Hunters, the Plains of Passage, The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children, #1-5)
  • Malazan Book Of The Fallen, including: Steven Erikson, Gardens Of The Moon, Deadhouse Gates, Memories Of Ice, House Of Chains, Midnight Tides, The Bonehunters, Toll The Hounds, Dust Of Dreams, The Crippled God (novel), Ian Cameron Esslemont, Icarium
  • The Dragon Quartet Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Jaywalking with the Irish
  • Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
  • The Hunter's Blades Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms: Hunter's Blades, #1-3; Legend of Drizzt, #14-16)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link / Myth-Nomers and Impervections (Myth Adventures, #7-8)
  • Return to Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #5-6)
  • Assassin's Apprentice / Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #1-2)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4) The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)

“If the world is ending, a woman will want to fix her hair. If the world's ending, a woman will take the time to tell a man something he's done wrong. -Matrim Cauthon” 25 likes
“Hammer the iron that lies on your anvil instead of daydreaming about working silver.” 15 likes