Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?

Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Your buffalo is growing up. He plays with friends. He shares his toys. He's smart! But is he ready for kindergarten? (And is kindergarten ready for him?)

Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten? is a hilarious look at first-day-of-school jitters from author Audrey Vernick and illustrator Daniel Jennewein.
Published June 22nd 2010 by Balzer + Bray

Kathy (Bermudaonion)
If you know a little one getting ready to start school, you definitely need to check out Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten? by Audrey Vernick. This adorable book explores some of the fears a youngster might face before beginning school and lets them know that it’s not always easy to start something new.

This picture book shows pre-schoolers that they don’t need to know how to do everything before they start school, because they’re going to school to learn new skills and improve some others....more
Tasha
If your buffalo has a backpack, then he is certainly ready for Kindergarten! This book takes a silly look at first-day Kindergarten jitters through the eyes of a student who is sure to be unique. Buffalos may have trouble with certain rules, like No Grazing at recess, but your buffalo will also be great at hide-and-seek and serve as a comfy place to snuggle in to listen to stories. He will also learn about sharing with others and not losing his temper and butting them with his head. There’s a lo...more
Amy
I hope they make toys out of the buffalo. He is stinking cute.
Tatiana
I thought this book was a hoot, and the simple illustrations added to the humor and warmth of "Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?" A giant, warm cuddly buffalo has his first day of kindergarten, and like any student, he has his concerns: being shy, handling scissors, and playing outdoors. But this intrepid buffalo does manage to have fun and enjoy being with his classmates, partaking in recess, snack, and a rousing session of art, taking finger paints to new heights.

This will be a pleasure...more
Natalie Lorenzi
As a former Kindergarten teacher, I would have loved to have shared this book with my students. Vernik's humor and direct style combined wtih Jennewein's friendly illustrations are sure to ease first-day Kindergarten jitters.
W.H. Beck

(adapted from goodreads.com)

(32 pages)
Kate
Does your buffalo have a backpack? Well then, he's ready! Adorable illustrations and a reassuring message.
Mary Lindsey
DARLING! The writing is clever and engaging and the illustrations are hilarious. A must have!
Beth
You'd think given the fact that I teach sixth grade that this book would be completely off my radar. What, after all, do sixth graders care about being ready for kindergarten? Frankly, the subject is of little importance to them. A funny story is a funny story. And to twelve-year-olds, this book was hilarious. In fact, they were laughing before I even started reading. One look at the cover and I had a group of boys who just started laughing until there were tears in their eyes.

As I read this boo...more
Amy Musser
Although some people think that kindergarten isn’t a place for a buffalo, the little girl in this book knows otherwise. Her buffalo has a backpack, which means he’s definitely ready for kindergarten. He may be shy in his new environment because no on else has a hump or horns or a mane, but he’ll learn that everyone is special in his or her own way. The girl goes on to identify many possible concerns you might have for your buffalo, such as using scissors, learning to cooperate and take turns, ev...more
Rosita

Why the teacher ask the buffalo for a backpack when he enter the Kindergarten class. This is a funny book to be used for first-day in Kindergarten. The students can accept buffalo to be part of their class room. Buffalo don't know how to follow rules especially when he went to recess. The children were so excited when the buffalo played hide and seek and learn about sharing with others. There is a lot to learn in Kindergarten especially if you a huge buffalo. There was a lot of humor in the stor...more
Sweet on Books
"Some people say kindergarten is no place for a buffalo. How crazy is that?"

So begins this entertaining story about how we all have our own special place in this world - horn or no horns. How great is that message? The brilliance of this picture book is that it is a hilarious and appropriate lesson in identity without being preachy. Children will delight in all the paces this buffalo is put through as a new kindergartener. Will your buffalo be able to use scissors? Will your buffalo be able to...more
Mary Ann
Is your child a little bit nervous about starting kindergarten? This is a great book to ease their fears by making them laugh at the situations this silly buffalo gets into. I mean, look at the grin - you couldn't help but love a buffalo like that?!

Certain rules like No Grazing at recess might be hard for a buffalo to learn, but they will be great at hide-and-seek. Your buffalo will also have to learn about sharing and not losing his temper -- no butting heads in kindergarten! Not only does this...more
Sarah W
This book is a comical look at the first day of school and all the butterfly jitters that can bring. The pictures are simple & I could see having students draw their buffalo in kindergarten. It'd be a great first library meeting between students and librarian.

"Remind your buffalo: It's ok to get messy." Is anyone else thinking of Ms. Frizzle?

One of my favorite lines is "Can your buffalo balance on a tightrope? Kidding! He doesn't need to do that. Unless he's going to clown kindergarten." I l...more
S.K.
Kids love animals and being able to transfer their fears to a large, woolly bully starting school...genius! A buffalo made this so interesting and fun.

I would recommend.
Beverly
This is a hilarious look at the first day of school jitters from the point of view of a very different student. Vernick covers all the typical fears of students just entering kindergarten in a fun and entertaining way without talking down to the reader or minimizing their fears.

I highly recommend this for all kindergartners and their parents. (Parents have fears about the first day of school, too.) This is also an excellent book for teachers to read-aloud at the beginning of school. Vernick has...more
Eva Leger
This is pretty cute. The buffalo alone makes it - and keeps it - interesting for the kids this is meant for. The illustrations are pretty cool too - big with broad black lines and very colorful.
There are a lot of issues brought up (in respect to the buffalo of course!) that a child buffalo might have to deal with when entering kindergarten.
I can't say I think it would effectively deal with a worried child but it's a short, fun story to read and it doesn't even necessarily have to be read to a ch...more
Sarah Souther
"Is your buffalo ready for kindergarten?...Does he have a backpack? Well, then. He's definitely ready for kindergarten!"

A little girl takes her buffalo through his first day of kindergarten. The basic message is the same as many books on beginning school -- it's okay to be a bit nervous, you don't always exactly fit in but that's okay, a lot of things are new, etc. -- but it's a buffalo. This is great for both stereotypical girls and boys because the little girl is nurturing and primly wears a d...more
Corinne
A fun intro to school for kids. Things they would need for school if a buffalo...
Terry
My 3 year old LOVED this book, and my 5 year old, having started kindergarten 2 weeks prior, LOVED LOVED LOVED this book because it was about HIS new adventures! This is a fantastic story for any age, but even more-so if your child is preparing for kindergarten.

I loved this book. I fell in love with this teddy-bear of a buffalo. I felt empathetic to his anxiety, and warmth to his struggle. I love the fun in the lesson as well as the lesson itself.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Mrs. Knott
Very cute story about bringing your buffalo to kindergarten. Young readers will find the predicaments the buffalo gets into hilarious!
Irina
This is a really funny book about a buffalo going to Kindergarten and all the things that he tries to do there. Kids love this book because it is so funny, but it also sends a good message about what happens in kindergarten and how we can be understanding toward one another even though we are different. This is great for reading to a kindergarten class in the first weeks of school. (Can be read to kids who aren't in kindergarten and they still love it!)
April
This books is hilarious! I read it twice in a row because I love it so much. I'm going to use it in storytime next week if I get some older kids who will appreciate the humor. I think it could also be used to ease fears about starting kindergarten. It's not like those books that gently tell you everything about starting school so you won't be nervous...instead it's so silly and will make a kid giggle so much they'll forget to be nervous :)
Kate Hastings
For Kindergarten. One might think that a buffalo has no place in kindergarten. They would be wrong. Everyone is different and special in kindergarten, and a buffalo is no exception. Sure, the buffalo might be too big for the swings, have strange eating habits and have trouble holding scissors-- but as long as he can share, play games with the other kids and smile for picture day, he'll fit in just fine.
Angela
Mar 18, 2011 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Cute book exploring the different concerns a kid might have about going to kindergarten -- but doing so in an absurd & therefore less-threatening way. I liked the section about sharing. Didn't care much for the snack-time details (but kids of a certain age do like to giggle about gross things). Not as much fun to read as I expected from the cover/title, but I'm sure it's useful for its purpose.
Lori
Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten? by Audrey Vernick, illustrated by Daniel Jennewein. If you don’t have a buffalo, you might want to get one after reading this picture book. Scary kindergarten issues (being accepted, scissor use and other things one isn’t yet good at, new rules to navigate) are gently handled through the buffalo’s experiences. Delightful, fun, and comforting!
Megan
Jan 18, 2014 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool-2nd grade
The writing style reminds me of Mo Willems--a favorite! How many kids' books feature buffalos? Not too many! This particular buffalo is a little shy on the first day of school, but quickly finds out that he's got plenty of special qualities that will help him fit right in. This would be a great story to share with your child before he or she begins school.
Kris
For preschoolers and those just starting kindergarten, this book will ease any concerns about starting elementary school. Yes, it's didactic ("Remember: Everyone's special in his or her own way.") but the humor makes it palatable ("Won't your buffalo just love recess? He may need time to get used to the No Grazing rule.") A great way to start the school year!
Linda
This is a wonderful book to read in the first days of school. It brings up so many topics like differences, sharing, being nervous during the first days, and so on. I'm going to read it for one of the primary classes I'll be working in, and am excited that someone recently reviewed it so I could find it.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
A story about differences and how being different is okay. Children will probably enjoy the antics of the Buffalo as he tries to be integrated into a kindergarten class. However, I am kind of picky about these stories. Both text and illustrations were okay.
  • Kindergarten Diary
  • Brontorina
  • A Balloon for Isabel
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • A Pirate's Guide to First Grade
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • Oliver and His Alligator
  • There Are No Cats in this Book
Audrey Vernick is the author of books for young readers.

Forthcoming titles:

FIRST GRADE DROPOUT

UNLIKE OTHER MONSTERS

I WON A WHAT?

BOB, NOT BOB (with Liz Garton Scanlon)
More about Audrey Vernick...
Brothers at Bat: The True Story of an Amazing All-Brother Baseball Team Water Balloon She Loved Baseball: The Effa Manley Story Teach Your Buffalo to Play Drums Bogart and Vinnie: A Completely Made-up Story of True Friendship