Start by marking “A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #1)

A Time to Be Born (A Time To... (Star Trek:TNG) #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  533 ratings  ·  37 reviews
On the cusp of their epic battle with Shinzon, many of Captain Jean-Luc Picard's long-time crew were heading for new assignments and new challenges. Among the changes were William Riker's promotion to captain and his new command, Riker's marriage to Counselor Deanna Troi, and Dr. Beverly Crusher's new career at Starfleet Medical. But the story of what set them on a path aw ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 284 pages
Published February 1st 2004 by Pocket Books (first published January 14th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Time to Be Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time to Be Born

Imzadi by Peter DavidSpock's World by Diane DuaneUhura's Song by Janet KaganYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
213th out of 224 books — 157 voters
Gods of Night by David MackMere Mortals by David MackLost Souls by David MackResistance by J.M. DillardLosing the Peace by William Leisner
Star Trek: The Next Generation Relaunch
11th out of 27 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill Sweet
It took me two tries to finish this. Not the best writing I've seen, and I didn't buy some of the characterizations (Picard especially seemed "off"). Perhaps we can ascribe that to the intentions of this series, a nine-novel attempt to tell what happened between the last two (and worst) TNG movies. So maybe it's because the characters were "off" in Nemesis as well.

All that said, the story did eventually take me in, and I'm onto the next one in the series. I can't wait to be on to subsequent volu
Brian Lewis
I enjoyed Vornholt's writing style. After reading a few Star Trek books written with poor vocabulary and poor grammar, it was refreshing to read the work of a talented artist. Also, although the style and word usage was more refined than most Star Trek books, it was not difficult to read.

I found the story to be mostly original for a ST book, and I greatly appreciated the change of environment about half way through the book, because I was getting very exhausted and maybe even a bit seasick from
Julia
Aug 20, 2008 Julia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Trek series
Shelves: star-trek
Luca Mauri
This book is almost brutally cut in two parts.
The first one actually deals with the investigations in the Rashanar Battle Site, where the crews of two Starfleet vessels face apparently unexplainable events, looters, scavengers and dangers beyond any expectation.
Unfortunately the book does a poor jobs in creating real suspense or to develop the mysteries in a logical way: they are simply there and a sudden - possible - explanation just come up in half a page.

Immediately after this, the books turn

Roger
This review summarizes the entire "A Time To..." series of Star Trek: The Next Generation books, a nine part series drawn from a collective of authors.

Reading Star Trek books has always been my occasional guilty pleasure. When I started reading them when I was younger and REALLY into TNG, they still occupied the lower shelf on anyone's display shelf, if they even warranted consorting with "serious" books at all - a stigma hung around the Sci Fi's genre neck to varying degrees in perpetuity, even
Craig Andrews
With the era of the Next Generation seemingly at a close with Nemesis it's given the excellent writers and overall series bods at Simon & Shuster a chance to go back and fill in the gaps in Trek history. The Enterprise E and it's crew have been given a new re-launch now carrying forwards after the end of Nemesis but also they've done a few cool things and gone back and filled in the gaps between movies. The first series subtitles "A Time To..." fills ii the gap between Insurrection and Nemes ...more
Joshua Palmatier
This is the first book in what appears to be a long series, which I'll call A Time To . . .. The series' intent is to reveal what happened to the crew in the time before the movie Nemesis--how did the crew end up split apart and separated, on different ships, with different jobs, etc?

In this first book, the Enterprise is sent to a battlefield from the Dominion War where every ship taking part in the battle was destroyed. No one knows what happened, but it appears from the wreckage that everyone
John Yelverton
Though I do realize that this is the first in a very long series, I did not find it to be very true to the characters. Jean-Luc Picard becomes magically inept, and Starfleet seems to chunk every principle that it was ever founded on out the window. Maybe the other books explain it and clear this up, but I was definitely left wanted by the time I finished this tale.
Angela
The Enterprise is sent to help recover dead bodies from a battlefield in space. There's looters, and special anomalies to deal with. Meanwhile, Wesley finally finishes his training to become a traveller. This is a good, quick read and ends on a cliffhanger. It does feel like it should have been a tv episode. A good read.
Jimyanni
. Another long, drawn-out series of books that do not, individually, tell stories but that require reading the entire, 9-book series in order to get any closure. What can I say? The story here, such as it is, is pretty well told, as is normal for Vornholt. He handles the characters well, has good pacing, good action, all of that. But the ending leaves us thoroughly unsatisfied; it's going to be necessary to wade through the entire series to get any feeling of completion.

If you like this sort of
Jesse Lehrer
Definitely an enjoyable look into the TNG world again near its end. We see all the great characters doing fun stuff, there's solid plot and it's actually pretty interesting to see Picard getting treated as an aging and perhaps unstable captain (this was seen in the show on occasion but this book has the most severe treatment I've seen). The overall story isn't anything amazing, but if you like TNG it's definitely a fun and very light read. It suffers a bit from the "male gaze" as for some reason ...more
rytr_1
Mar 19, 2008 rytr_1 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Excellent opener to the nine-book series that apparently connects two TNG movies (Insurrection and Nemesis). Early on there's a lot of chasing around through space, but just as I was beginning to get tired of it the storyline took a very interesting turn. The characters are captured very well on the page, especially Picard and Data. I don't think I'm spoiling anything by revealing that there is a cliffhanger at the end of the novel, which makes me heartily sorry that the second book (A Time to D ...more
Dan
It is interesting that I recall so little from this book after having read it years ago. I expected the story to be quite forgettable (seeing as I forgot it), but I was definitely into it this time around. The action, pacing, and characters were all pitch-perfect. While not necessarily the best-written Trek story, there is certainly no reason to think that it's forgettable or uninteresting. A pretty solid character exploration for Picard and others, with some unexpected twists and turns that mak ...more
Mr. Koop
Certainly an enjoyable read and most definetilu a great inclusion into any collection.
Aisha Mahmoud
This book was surprisingly good. I had read mixed reviews on Amazon.com so I was not sure I was going to get into it as much as I did but I could not put it down. I did not expect, either, that I would be as eager as I am to read the next book in the series. Captain Picard is not one of my favorite Star Trek captains and get I really am liking this book. And I could not stand Wesley Crusher and he is in this but I still liked it. The Rashanar Battle Site is a fascinating read and I cannot wait t ...more
Jarrod
So I decided to go back and re-read this series for the first time in years as part of a quest to read the current TrekLit universe in the recommended reading order.

Golly there was a lot that happened in this book. I know that it is part one of a duology, but there was enough here to easily make up a two part TNG episode on its own.

(view spoiler)
SA
Nov 01, 2010 SA rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Going into a book knowing there are eight more is a little daunting. "To be Born" was a good setup for the subsequent novels, however, and it's very pleasant to slide back into Picard's world. With bonus Wesley Crusher! (I never had the complete hate-on for him that so many people did.) I'm reading these as a prelude to the Titan series, and I think it's a good start.
Leslie
I was quite happy with this story and will be quickly moving on to the next book in the series.

There was plenty of action and I can't fault characterization. I even loved seeing another side of Admiral Nechayev even if only briefly. I found myself experiencing anxiety right along with the crew of the Enterprise.

Nice book
Brian
Jan 14, 2011 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi, trek, tv
I started this series out of order and have already read the second book, so I already had an idea where the plot was going, still the Next Generation was the first TV series that really made me a Trek fan, and it was good to be able to pickup where the series and movies left off (although this series occurs before the last movie).
Nick
I picked this up at the library book exchange along with the sequel "A Time To Die" and I was pleasantly pleased with this read. I've never read a Star Trek book before and it was funny that the voices of the characters were the same as those I saw in the TV series. Overall good book. Currently reading the second one.
Shane
An interesting Star Trek story that moves at a slower pace. However as you plow through the text, a hook takes you to the very end. It also seems like it contains two individual stories, however they work together perfectly. I have to know how it ends, so I guess picking up the conclusion book is my only option.
Jonathon Laudinsky
book one of the long TNG series of books set between Star trek Inserection and Star trek Nemesis. Enterprise and her crew under Captain Picard are sent to a old Dominion war battle ground and are charged with destroying a ship.
Phoena
My husband picked up a bunch of Star Trek books and this (nine book) series was part of it. This is the first book in the series and it was okay, but I don't find myself dying to read the rest.
Kirk Domenico
Μια σειρα απο 9 βιβλια που το καθενα πραγματευεται και μια ιστορια που αφορα το πληρωμα του Enterprise της προ Nemesis εποχης . Καλο γραψιμο αλλα οχι και τοσο ενδιαφερουσα ιστορια .
Marty
Lots of subplots within a great story line involving all of the Next Generations characters, minus Worf & Obrien. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series.
Jd
Did not like this one. I only made it a couple chapters into it before I I quit and jumped ahead to the 3rd book in the series , which started a new arc.
Steve
Enjoyable but the stereotypical Wesleyisms were a bit off putting. Split into two books so I had to read the second to find out what happened.
Michael
Takes a while to get going, but finds its way around the halfway point, and morphs into an engaging, if not stellar, piece of Trek lore.
Benjamin Plume
This collaborative effort to delve into where each of the NextGen characters are between Insurection and Nemesis is great.
Caitlin
3 Stars because of the format. Two books together makes it a better story. On its own... meh
Star Trek Reads: A Time To... 53 31 Aug 27, 2014 07:42PM
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time for War, A Time for Peace (Star Trek, the Next Generation)
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)
  • Q-Strike (Star Trek: The Next Generation #49; The Q Continuum, #3)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • Infection (Star Trek: Double Helix, #1)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Greater than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
John Vornholt also writes as Caroline Goode.
More about John Vornholt...
Coyote Moon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #3) Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7) Seven Crows (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7-8, #1; Angel: Season 4-5, #1) Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1 Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)