Enchanted Glass

Enchanted Glass

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  3,082 ratings  ·  423 reviews
Aidan Cain has had the worst week of his life. His gran died, he was sent to a foster home, and now malicious beings are stalking him. There is one person Gran told Aidan to go to if he ever got into trouble—a powerful sorcerer who lives at Melstone House.

But when Aidan arrives on the doorstep, he finds that the sorcerer's grandson, Andrew, has inherited the house. The goo...more
Published April 6th 2010 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Enchanted Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enchanted Glass

Joel
Jun 30, 2010 Joel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joel by: Connie Fletcher
2.5 stars.

I had to choose the UK edition, as the cover of the US version is totally lame. Who do they think it's going to appeal to? Boys won't want to read it because it has rainbow swirls, and girls won't want to read it because it's about a smelly boy. I certainly felt stupid finishing it in Starbucks this afternoon (though I did get to sit next to the old lady with a Kindle and her iPad-wielding elderly husband again... the second time I've encountered these tech-savvy retirees).

So this is a...more
Jeremy
Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful. I was so excited to have a brand-new DWJ book to read, that wa unrelated to what had come before. New characters, new people to meet. Her standard themes were there, where she gathers a group of disparate people into one place, antagonistic toward each other they may be, with the right characteristics to step up to the plate to defeat the bad guys when the other members fail. Diana Wynne Jones knows and illustrates the value of the group and the individual's unique...more
Rhiannon Miller
One thing I've always liked about Diana Wynne Jones' books for children is that she makes no artificial barrier between adults and children; they're all people. So rather than have the grownups dismiss or disbelieve the children's real concerns for no apparent reason other than that they're grownups, in her books parental and other adult figures listen, understand, and get stuck in to the magic. In Enchanted Glass, Diana Wynne Jones takes this a stage further: even though the book is obviously a...more
Miranda
I've followed DWJ's books for a loooong time - I can't say with authority that I've read all of them, but I've certainly read most, at one time or another. My husband grabbed this for me when he saw it at the library. It's engaging and well-constructed, with likeable characters, as usual... but there are a couple of things about it that really kind of bother me. First, within the first two chapters, we have three dead mothers and a dead grandmother in the backgrounds of the various main characte...more
Jessica
This is Diana Wynne Jones at her very best, a mixture of magic, humor, and sheer delight as an absent-minded professor inherits/encounters his grandfather's house, his magical field-of-care, two tyrannical servants, a giant, a weredog, a beautiful secretary, and a young boy hiding from the magical forces who are trying to kill him.

Don't worry if you're confused, it will all be sorted out in the end, as Andrew gets his head out of the clouds and begins to figure out the puzzle that has been left...more
Margaret
I love DWJ and would rather have a new book from her than almost any other children's author I can think of, and I had a lot of fun reading this one: neat magic, excellent characters, very funny. That said, though, I did think it was rather derivative of a couple of her other recent books (The Pinhoe Egg and House of Many Ways came to mind a lot), so I wouldn't put it with her top-rank books.
Deborah Ross
Any new book by Jones is a delicious treat, a reason to put down whatever else I'm doing and curl up with a cup of tea. This one, however, came with special poignancy because I received it just after I learned of her death. So I opened the pages with a kind of sadness, not wanting to admit that in many ways, this was farewell. (If there is another book to be published posthumously, I don't know of it.)

And found magic. Within a few paragraphs, her clear prose and unaffectedly direct storytelling...more
Ranting Dragon

Enchanted Glass is Diana Wynne Jones’s last published book before her death on March 26, 2011. The novel is a charming young adult standalone in Wynne Jones’s trademark style, beloved by many and unique in British children’s literature. Professor Andrew Hope—he isn’t really a professor; he just happens to work at a university—inherits the old Melstone House and its ornery retinue after the death of Andrew’s grandfather, Jocelyn. Of course, Jocelyn w...more
Joanna
I think I might be in love... I gulped this book down marveling all the while how can a story so magical be so casual, so matter of fact about it? The mythical characters strolling nonchalantly into the story, the ancient magic radiating from everything in sight brought with them only the surprised remembrance, as if like Andrew I had simply forgotten about it all and now that I have remembered again nothing could be more natural.

It's one of those books that make me bemoan the fact that I did no...more
Chris
When Andrew's grandfather Jocelyn Brandon Hope dies, Andrew Hope inherits Melstone House and land. However, all is not what it seems -- Jocelyn Hope was in fact a magician and the surrounding land is deemed a 'field of care', meaning that Andrew has to 'beat the bounds' in order to retain its magical power. Andrew's childhood fondness for Melstone House now becomes complicated by its infusion with magic, especially the strangely coloured glass on an inside door and a counterpart he discovers in...more
Cecelia
I should know by now not to mind the terrible covers on Diana Wynne Jones books. That said, if there’s one thing I know about my bookish self, it’s that I’m incredibly snobby about cover art. So, even though I trust her storytelling implicitly (and explicitly, for that matter), I was put off by this ugly cover and didn't read Enchanted Glass right away. I now wish I had, because in this middle grade fantasy Diana has created a marvelous story, characters and place, and I can see that I’ll be ret...more
Man, those pages turn. Not on par with Howl's Moving Castle or Dark Lord of Derkhelm, but a whole lot of fun. I love the smart way Jones plays with the tropes of fantasy. Doubling is a classic technique, and she puts the reader on the path to understanding it very well. Plus, one of the bad guys gets beaned - quite effectively - with a giant zucchini. Happy sigh.
Olga Godim
This was an enchanting story, full of magic. I don’t usually read children’s books, and I never read Diana Wynne Jones before although I watched and liked the Manga version of her novel, Howl's Moving Castle. This book – I fell in love with. I enjoyed it tremendously and I’m definitely going to read more of this writer. Much more.
This particular tale is a quiet one. There are two protagonists: Andrew, an adult, and Aidan, a child. Andrew’s grandfather, the magician, died, and left Andrew a legac...more
Nikki
In a way, all Diana Wynne Jones' books remind me of each other. There's something very similar in the style of them -- though Enchanted Glass is perhaps a bit more subdued than the others -- and yet also something fresh, every time, something in the tone... A feeling, I suppose, that I wish Diana Wynne Jones would come and tell me bedtime stories, in a way: something about her stories would make my toes curl with glee at the same time as I would know it would be okay to go to sleep.

Enchanted Gla...more
Emily
Diana Wynne Jones is my all-time favorite author, and I really enjoyed this book. However - especially compared to her previous work - I felt like the characters and world-building weren't as strong, and it had the younger feel of The Pinhoe Egg as opposed to the older feel of something like Fire and Hemlock. The idea of "counterparts" didn't go far enough. But I did love another DWJ read and hope I continue to get one every few years!
Barb
I knew after the first chapter that I was going to enjoy this book. The dynamic between Andrew and Mrs. & Mr. Stock was quite amusing, and I chuckled frequently - and continued to enjoy it until the very end.
This is one of those "Young adult" or "children's" books that didn't feel like one when I was reading it, but has appeal across all age groups.
It was - as the title would suggest - enchanting.
~Tina~
In the end this became an okay book. I had to struggle just to finish it and ended up skimming. I had high hopes for this one. The cover is pretty and I loved fantasy reads but I found myself confused with where the plot was going while the writing and it's characters fell flat.
Not the escape I was hoping for....
Stephanie
Diana Wynne Jones may be the best author you've never heard of. She writes children's and young adult fantasy, and I've been reading her for almost as long as I can remember. Neil Gaiman calls her, "The best children's writer of the last forty years." The best part? She's written so many books that if you read her and like her, there are enough books to keep you happy for a long, long time. Not all of her books are amazing (though many of them are), but they're all of them at least good. Most of...more
Catherine
Diana Wynne Jones is one of those authors that I have heard a lot of good things about but, for one reason or another, I had yet to read. My only experience with anything of hers was the Studio Ghibli adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle - and even that film differs significantly. But after reading Enchanted Glass - a funny, clever and overall wonderful book - I can safely say that I am going to be reading more of her work in future.

Whimsical, witty and wonderful are three of the many adjectives t...more
Madeline Smoot
Enchanted Glass itself is a delight. Set in modern Britain, bookish college professor Andrew inherits his grandfather’s home. However, the house is located in an “eccentric” area filled with magic, odd characters, and mayhem. Andrew is just settling in when teenaged Aidan shows up on his door, soggy, grief-stricken, and being chased by creatures he calls Stalkers. A complex, well-crafted story develops from there.

Jasmine Giacomo
BookKids

I have always enjoyed Jones’s characters — from the crazy people in Dark Lord of Derkholm to the calmer Chant family in...more
Leah
I don't need to be convinced to buy or pick up a Diana Wynne Jones book. She has been, and will always be, one of my favourite authors, full stop.

However, this one is definitely a kids book - almost DWJ-lite: all the tropes in a neat little bite size package. I read it in a couple of days and ticked off all her usuals as I was doing so.

Tall, unassuming yet powerful youngish man - tick.
Young boy with magic talent that he is unaware of/unable to use yet - tick.
Antagonistic but necessary household...more
Alex Fayle
There exists a small group of authors that leave me in awe every time I finish one of their books. Jasper Fforde is one, as is Charles de Lint. Patricia C. Wrede writes books that I would happily read over and over for the rest of my life. Another author on this select list is Diana Wynne Jones. Although I haven’t read all of her books, whenever I do read one I finish up almost wanting to cry in appreciation of her storytelling skills.

Her latest awe-inspiring story is Enchanted Glass. It’s more...more
Jacey
I've always greatly admired Diana Wynne Jones for the complex simplicity of her writing. She manages to convey emotional depth without seeming to pour it all out on the page. A lot of what you perceive in a DWJ book is hidden between the words. Yet the words are elegant and smooth.

University lecturer Andrew Hope inherits his magician grandfather's estate, the strong-minded staff that go with it and his field-of-care. Though he spent childhood holidays with the old man, Andrew's forgotten a lot o...more
Eva Mitnick
As I read Enchanted Glass, I was struck by the phrase "field-of-care." Although it's never clearly defined to the reader, it can be understood by the context to be the magical territory over which a caretaker or custodian has responsibility, in order to ensure that magical doings are all on the up-and-up, supernatural forces remain in balance, and nasty creatures don't take over. This is a profoundly comforting thought - other folks, wise and experienced, are taking care of magical goings-on so...more
Nic
Erin
This was lovely--a classic Diana Wynne Jones tale. I hadn't gotten around to reading it when it first came out, and after she passed away I was sort of saving it, so that there would still be new DWJ I hadn't read yet.

Although it's a stand-alone, I'm not sure it would be a good place to start with DWJ, as it's a rather meandery book in the beginning, though it more than makes up for it at the end.

I love the meandering-ness of it, but I'm not sure if a reader who didn't already love DWJ would f...more
Mary-Beth
A lovely and enchanting tale from Jones, this. Andrew inherits his grandfather's home and with it a field-of-care that he seems to know little about. A field-of-care is a magical area which someone needs to take responsibility for and to care for. Andrew just wants to settle down with his inheritance and write a book, but soon this responsibility begins to manifest its many complicated details in his life and eventually he has no peace at all.

The story has lovely eccentric characters, including...more
Fiona
Good old Diana Wynne Jones. I love how with all of her books you feel like you're in the same world, different universe. She has created a 'Diana Wynne Jones' world all of her own.

What always amazes me is that she never seems to bother with explaining anything, like the world, the magic it just is what is and she doesn't need to explain. You just get it. She always credits her readers with some intelligence which I love too. I can't help but say "I love" when speaking of Diana Wynne Jones.

Althou...more
Is it as good as her others? 3 13 Jan 23, 2013 08:55PM
Bookworms in Trum...: Enchanted Glass 1 9 Oct 17, 2011 09:49AM
  • Magic Below Stairs
  • The Sorcerer's House
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • The Serial Garden: The Complete Armitage Family Stories
  • Stolen Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #3)
  • Forever Rose (Casson Family, #5)
  • The Ogre Of Oglefort
  • Fire: Tales of Elemental Spirits (Tales of Elemental Spirits, #2)
  • The Lost Conspiracy
  • The Bards of Bone Plain
  • Dragon Games (The Books of Umber, #2)
  • Thresholds (Magic Next Door, #1)
  • The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)
  • The Legend of the King (The Squire's Tales, #10)
  • The Thief Queen's Daughter (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #2)
  • No Such Thing As Dragons
  • Akata Witch (Akata Witch, #1)
  • The Song of the Quarkbeast (The Last Dragonslayer, #2)
Diana Wynne Jones was the author of more than thirty critically acclaimed fantasy stories, including the Chrestomanci series and the novels Howl's Moving Castle and Dark Lord of Derkholm.

For Diana Wynne Jones's official autobiography, please see http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/aut...
More about Diana Wynne Jones...
Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2) The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #4) Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1) House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)

“I seem to have excalibured this knife.” 45 likes
“But I do think that when people say 'a learning curve,' they make a mistake. Learning to me always seems to go in a straight, ignorant line and then, every so often, takes a jump straight upward.” 30 likes