Start by marking “Enchanted Glass” as Want to Read:
Enchanted Glass

Enchanted Glass

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  4,516 Ratings  ·  540 Reviews
Aidan Cain has had the worst week of his life. His gran died, he was sent to a foster home, and now malicious beings are stalking him. There is one person Gran told Aidan to go to if he ever got into trouble—a powerful sorcerer who lives at Melstone House.

But when Aidan arrives on the doorstep, he finds that the sorcerer's grandson, Andrew, has inherited the house. The goo
Published April 6th 2010 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Enchanted Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enchanted Glass

Rhiannon Miller
Mar 24, 2011 Rhiannon Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One thing I've always liked about Diana Wynne Jones' books for children is that she makes no artificial barrier between adults and children; they're all people. So rather than have the grownups dismiss or disbelieve the children's real concerns for no apparent reason other than that they're grownups, in her books parental and other adult figures listen, understand, and get stuck in to the magic. In Enchanted Glass, Diana Wynne Jones takes this a stage further: even though the book is obviously a ...more
j
Apr 02, 2010 j rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to j by: Connie Fletcher
2.5 stars.

I had to choose the UK edition, as the cover of the US version is totally lame. Who do they think it's going to appeal to? Boys won't want to read it because it has rainbow swirls, and girls won't want to read it because it's about a smelly boy. I certainly felt stupid finishing it in Starbucks this afternoon (though I did get to sit next to the old lady with a Kindle and her iPad-wielding elderly husband again... the second time I've encountered these tech-savvy retirees).

So this is a
Wealhtheow
Feb 18, 2010 Wealhtheow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
On the death of his grandfather, Andrew leaves his professorship to run the family home...and the accompanying magical estate. As he grows used to his new responsibilities, he remembers more and more of what his grandfather taught him about magic, and he starts noticing encroachment on his magical lands. Andrew tries to beat back the fairies' slow invasion with the (sometimes inadvertent) help of his fellow villagers.

This is a lovely book, and I absolutely love the way the village, Melstone Hous
Jessica
Feb 23, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
This is Diana Wynne Jones at her very best, a mixture of magic, humor, and sheer delight as an absent-minded professor inherits/encounters his grandfather's house, his magical field-of-care, two tyrannical servants, a giant, a weredog, a beautiful secretary, and a young boy hiding from the magical forces who are trying to kill him.

Don't worry if you're confused, it will all be sorted out in the end, as Andrew gets his head out of the clouds and begins to figure out the puzzle that has been left
Miranda
I've followed DWJ's books for a loooong time - I can't say with authority that I've read all of them, but I've certainly read most, at one time or another. My husband grabbed this for me when he saw it at the library. It's engaging and well-constructed, with likeable characters, as usual... but there are a couple of things about it that really kind of bother me. First, within the first two chapters, we have three dead mothers and a dead grandmother in the backgrounds of the various main characte ...more
Jeremy
Feb 28, 2010 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful. I was so excited to have a brand-new DWJ book to read, that wa unrelated to what had come before. New characters, new people to meet. Her standard themes were there, where she gathers a group of disparate people into one place, antagonistic toward each other they may be, with the right characteristics to step up to the plate to defeat the bad guys when the other members fail. Diana Wynne Jones knows and illustrates the value of the group and the individual's unique ...more
Margaret
I love DWJ and would rather have a new book from her than almost any other children's author I can think of, and I had a lot of fun reading this one: neat magic, excellent characters, very funny. That said, though, I did think it was rather derivative of a couple of her other recent books (The Pinhoe Egg and House of Many Ways came to mind a lot), so I wouldn't put it with her top-rank books.
Arielle Walker
Delightful perfection. All I can say right now, review to come later...
Ranting Dragon
Mar 29, 2011 Ranting Dragon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caleigh

Enchanted Glass is Diana Wynne Jones’s last published book before her death on March 26, 2011. The novel is a charming young adult standalone in Wynne Jones’s trademark style, beloved by many and unique in British children’s literature. Professor Andrew Hope—he isn’t really a professor; he just happens to work at a university—inherits the old Melstone House and its ornery retinue after the death of Andrew’s grandfather, Jocelyn. Of course, Jocelyn was more
Cecelia
Sep 06, 2012 Cecelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I should know by now not to mind the terrible covers on Diana Wynne Jones books. That said, if there’s one thing I know about my bookish self, it’s that I’m incredibly snobby about cover art. So, even though I trust her storytelling implicitly (and explicitly, for that matter), I was put off by this ugly cover and didn't read Enchanted Glass right away. I now wish I had, because in this middle grade fantasy Diana has created a marvelous story, characters and place, and I can see that I’ll be ret ...more
Chris
Mar 23, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dwj
When Andrew's grandfather Jocelyn Brandon Hope dies, Andrew Hope inherits Melstone House and land. However, all is not what it seems -- Jocelyn Hope was in fact a magician and the surrounding land is deemed a 'field of care', meaning that Andrew has to 'beat the bounds' in order to retain its magical power. Andrew's childhood fondness for Melstone House now becomes complicated by its infusion with magic, especially the strangely coloured glass on an inside door and a counterpart he discovers in ...more
Deborah Ross
Apr 07, 2011 Deborah Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any new book by Jones is a delicious treat, a reason to put down whatever else I'm doing and curl up with a cup of tea. This one, however, came with special poignancy because I received it just after I learned of her death. So I opened the pages with a kind of sadness, not wanting to admit that in many ways, this was farewell. (If there is another book to be published posthumously, I don't know of it.)

And found magic. Within a few paragraphs, her clear prose and unaffectedly direct storytelling
Joanna
Apr 21, 2011 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-ya
I think I might be in love... I gulped this book down marveling all the while how can a story so magical be so casual, so matter of fact about it? The mythical characters strolling nonchalantly into the story, the ancient magic radiating from everything in sight brought with them only the surprised remembrance, as if like Andrew I had simply forgotten about it all and now that I have remembered again nothing could be more natural.

It's one of those books that make me bemoan the fact that I did no
Mª João Monteiro
É um livro infanto-juvenil que me deixou encantada. Tem magia, que chega devagarinho, e o leitor vai descobri-la à medida que as personagens a descobrem. Neste aspeto, é um livro iniciático... Aidan Cain perdeu a avó que o criara e vai tentar encontrar a ajuda de um tal Jocelyn Brandon. No entanto ,apenas encontra o professor Andrew Hope, neto do anterior, já falecido, que é seu herdeiro e está a braços com a casa nova e a herança que recebeu, acossado por empregados bizarros e exigentes. Passad ...more
Emily
Diana Wynne Jones is my all-time favorite author, and I really enjoyed this book. However - especially compared to her previous work - I felt like the characters and world-building weren't as strong, and it had the younger feel of The Pinhoe Egg as opposed to the older feel of something like Fire and Hemlock. The idea of "counterparts" didn't go far enough. But I did love another DWJ read and hope I continue to get one every few years!
Jan 01, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, those pages turn. Not on par with Howl's Moving Castle or Dark Lord of Derkhelm, but a whole lot of fun. I love the smart way Jones plays with the tropes of fantasy. Doubling is a classic technique, and she puts the reader on the path to understanding it very well. Plus, one of the bad guys gets beaned - quite effectively - with a giant zucchini. Happy sigh.
Nic
Apr 18, 2010 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lorelei
Mar 05, 2017 Lorelei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lorelei by: Laura
Shelves: sf
If I'd read this as a teenager, I would have given it five stars.
Olga Godim
Nov 30, 2012 Olga Godim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
This was an enchanting story, full of magic. I don’t usually read children’s books, and I never read Diana Wynne Jones before although I watched and liked the Manga version of her novel, Howl's Moving Castle. This book – I fell in love with. I enjoyed it tremendously and I’m definitely going to read more of this writer. Much more.
This particular tale is a quiet one. There are two protagonists: Andrew, an adult, and Aidan, a child. Andrew’s grandfather, the magician, died, and left Andrew a legac
Michele
Nov 19, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
A fun story with nods to Shakespeare, British folklore, and classic faerie tropes. Andrew Hope is the classic absent-minded professor, who stumbles into an old feud when he inherits his uncle's field-of-care and unwittingly exacerbates it by taking a young boy under his protection. The boy, Aidan (whose name nobody except his friends can pronounce correctly -- a handy device for spot-the-foe), is clever, funny and kind; he makes friends not only with the local boys but also with the somewhat-slo ...more
Nikki
Dec 25, 2010 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In a way, all Diana Wynne Jones' books remind me of each other. There's something very similar in the style of them -- though Enchanted Glass is perhaps a bit more subdued than the others -- and yet also something fresh, every time, something in the tone... A feeling, I suppose, that I wish Diana Wynne Jones would come and tell me bedtime stories, in a way: something about her stories would make my toes curl with glee at the same time as I would know it would be okay to go to sleep.

Enchanted Gla
Kathy Martin
Jul 05, 2015 Kathy Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a young orphan boy named Aidan who comes looking for his grandmother's friend after her death. He finds that the friend has died to and the house has been inherited by his grandson Andrew. Aidan can tell that Andrew is full of magic but Andrew doesn't remember what his grandfather taught him as a boy.

Andrew needs to remember because his neighbor O. Brown is trying to steal his land and power. And evil forces want Aidan too. Luckily they have friends in the town including a
Fiona
Good old Diana Wynne Jones. I love how with all of her books you feel like you're in the same world, different universe. She has created a 'Diana Wynne Jones' world all of her own.

What always amazes me is that she never seems to bother with explaining anything, like the world, the magic it just is what is and she doesn't need to explain. You just get it. She always credits her readers with some intelligence which I love too. I can't help but say "I love" when speaking of Diana Wynne Jones.

Althou
Barb
I knew after the first chapter that I was going to enjoy this book. The dynamic between Andrew and Mrs. & Mr. Stock was quite amusing, and I chuckled frequently - and continued to enjoy it until the very end.
This is one of those "Young adult" or "children's" books that didn't feel like one when I was reading it, but has appeal across all age groups.
It was - as the title would suggest - enchanting.
~Tina~
In the end this became an okay book. I had to struggle just to finish it and ended up skimming. I had high hopes for this one. The cover is pretty and I loved fantasy reads but I found myself confused with where the plot was going while the writing and it's characters fell flat.
Not the escape I was hoping for....
Julie
Jun 25, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I so enjoyed this book. I am pretty likely to pick up any Diana Wynne Jones book I run across if I haven't read it before. This one was especially fun. I was drawn to all the characters, and really had a good time watching the events play out. It's very playful with some impressive magical bits as well. So glad I found this book!
MB (What she read)
2nd read: 1/16/11 A Comfort Re-read. I hated the last book that I read so much that I re-read this one just to make myself happy!

1st read 4/16/10: What a treat! I loved this new book by Diana Wynne Jones. I loved all of the quirky characters and their interactions--especially the piano war.

My only complaint? It wasn't long enough! DWJ's books pretty much never are IMO.
MontseMH
La autora vuelve a regalarnos una historia de costumbrismo y magia, muy inglesa y totalmente adorable. Sin embargo, es demasiado simple para alguien de la talla de Diana Wynne Jones, que nos deja con ganas de más con un final algo precipitado.

Jan 26, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tale
I finished it and it was fabulous. I aspire to own every one of this woman's books at some point (in a vast, magical library, of course!). The only thing I didn't like was what happened in the last few pages, which was presumably the set-up for a sequel. Which will now never exist :(
Jasmine Giacomo
Nov 27, 2010 Jasmine Giacomo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abbie F review 1 5 Oct 19, 2015 04:46PM
Is it as good as her others? 4 20 Oct 23, 2014 12:29PM
Crazy for Young A...: Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones → Start Date: September 9, 2014 18 19 Sep 19, 2014 11:40AM
Bookworms in Trum...: Enchanted Glass 1 10 Oct 17, 2011 09:49AM
  • Magic Below Stairs
  • The Sorcerer's House
  • The Serial Garden: The Complete Armitage Family Stories
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • Thresholds (Magic Next Door, #1)
  • The Lost Conspiracy
  • The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)
  • The Vengekeep Prophecies
  • The Song of the Quarkbeast (The Chronicles of Kazam, #2)
  • The Boneshaker
  • The Shadow Hunt
  • The White Horse Trick (New Policeman, #3)
  • The Cabinet of Wonders (The Kronos Chronicles, #1)
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
Diana Wynne Jones was the author of more than thirty critically acclaimed fantasy stories, including the Chrestomanci series and the novels Howl's Moving Castle and Dark Lord of Derkholm.

For Diana Wynne Jones's official autobiography, please see http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/aut...
More about Diana Wynne Jones...

“I seem to have excalibured this knife.” 53 likes
“But I do think that when people say 'a learning curve,' they make a mistake. Learning to me always seems to go in a straight, ignorant line and then, every so often, takes a jump straight upward.” 35 likes