Start by marking “Incidences” as Want to Read:
Incidences

Incidences

Une Fiat 500. Au volant, Marc. À côté de lui, sa plus jolie étudiante. C'est la nuit, ils foncent chez lui finir la soirée en beauté.
Au petit matin, son goût prononcé pour les jeunes élèves de son cours d'écriture va soudain lui passer.
À cause des routes de montagne ? Du néo-conservatisme ambiant ? Des crises de sa sœur ? Ou plutôt du charme des femmes mariées ? Marc ne sa
Broché, 232 pages
Published February 11th 2010 by Gallimard (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Incidences, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Incidences

Emily
The only reason I gave this book two stars was for the intriguing premise and some good writing aspects.

Otherwise, I hated this book. I had to force myself to finish it because it was so short. Even then I ended up skimming the last chapter and I've NEVER skimmed through a book before.

From the summary and the mention of existentialism, I thought this book might be a sort of updated version of The Stranger by Albert Camus. Yet in The Stranger all of the main character's actions come to back to ha
Tanya Negrey
Sep 08, 2016 Tanya Negrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despicable as the main character, this is a brilliant portrait of a narcissistic man devoid of any sense of personal responsibility or moral obligation to society. He only views the world as it affects him, and this leads him to commit deplorable and shocking acts. He does so without remorse or a bothered conscience. However, we are gradually given glimpses into his and his sister's horrific upbringing, which helps to explain, at least in part, why he has become the man he is. A wonderful ...more
Donna
Sep 08, 2016 Donna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was going to be a thriller, but it ended up being a really annoying book about a horn dog who has sex with the weirdest of the people. It was literally 200 pages of his thoughts, repeated over and over again, with no real plot or point.
Catherine
May 08, 2010 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: psychologique
Un professeur de Lettres ayant un goût prononcé pour ses étudiantes.Un meurtre, puis deux... Dans une atmosphère familiale plutôt glauque... Beaucoup de non-dits...
Romain
Oct 23, 2015 Romain rated it liked it
Shelves: blog
Un professeur de creative writing (atelier d'écriture) un peu coureur a la fâcheuse habitude de céder aux avances de ses jolies élèves. Il ne s'explique pas vraiment l'attrait qu'il exerce auprès de cette population, mais entend bien en profiter puisque cette chance lui est donnée. Tout n'allait pas si mal jusqu'au jour où ...

Sous ses aspects de thriller, ce roman de Djian aborde les problèmes de l'enfance et de ses blessures qui ne se referment jamais. Les femmes sont omniprésentes dans ce livr
William
Sep 08, 2016 William rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The main character is really despicable. He deserved far worst then he got in the end. The story develops well but the translation from the French seemed a little flat and may lack something (lost in translation or just not there). I don't think it is worth reading. I have not read anything else by this bestselling French Author and I'm not sure I will.
Meredith
Sep 08, 2016 Meredith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can we blame it on the translation? I'm not so sure.
This book seemed like random sentences strung together. There was no character development or plot. All I know is the main character and his creepy, incestual sister smoked a lot of cigarettes.
Serafina Sands
Sep 08, 2016 Serafina Sands rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued to read this book, which the cover describes as an existential thriller. I've read very few modern French authors. I found it extremely tedious. In about 180 pages, there must be 80 descriptions of smoking and 30 of sex, all of it dull as toast. It ends with a bang.
Nino Frewat
Dec 25, 2014 Nino Frewat rated it really liked it
Shelves: french-fiction
Ever since a book blogger reviewed Incidences I knew I would love it, and it didn't disappoint me. I went through a year of reading apathy in 2014 and I cheated by watching the movie, but like metal to magnet, I went back to the book.

This is my third Djian and I can safely say that I always sympathize with the protagonist, nonconventional, marginal and distorted as he or she may be, I always end up liking them.
In this, he is very much like Simenon: comprendre et ne pas juger. (thou shall not jud
Elsa
Feb 14, 2012 Elsa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: policier, société
Incidences, Philippe Dijan

Incidences, c'est l'histoire d'un professeur de lettres universitaire dont le goût prononcé pour ses étudiantes va le plonger dans un profond marasme. Charmeur malgré un portrait peu avenant (la fameuse Fiat 500, le don de fumer comme un sapeur), Marc raconte la médiocrité de ses élèves, sa rivalité avec son collègue qui tourne un peu trop autour de sa sœur et ses jeunes conquêtes...jusqu'au jour où tout bascule.

Un personnage froid, déroutant par ses rapports avec sa sœ
Zazoo Laro
Sep 10, 2016 Zazoo Laro rated it it was ok
c'est long, c'est long.... répétitif... le seul point positif est l'écriture... qui m'a qaund même lassée... mon premier Dijan. Je ne sais pas si je vais récidiver
Akeiisa
Marc, a literature professor in rural France, has been having a series if secret affairs with his students until he awakes one morning to find his latest conquest dead in bed next to him with no memory of what happened. He disposes of her body and tries to get back to his life of teaching, college politics, womanizing, and an oddly close relationship with his sister. Except the consequences of his actions take an unexpected turn when the dead student's stepmother seeks him out and he finds ...more
Jennifer Goodwin
Sep 08, 2016 Jennifer Goodwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consequences..brilliant translation from French by Bruce Benderson.
A very dark tale of childhood abuse leading to sibling incest, murder and madness. A tight suspense filled book set in rural France where mad Marc a professor at the local university is indulging his fantasies for the young girls under his tutelage. He awakes to find his latest conquest dead in bed beside him and so begins the twists and turns of a mad mind. The subject matter is a hard one but because it was so eloquently penned
Marcosocho
Aug 12, 2013 Marcosocho rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Un style mauvais (étrange pour un livre dont le héros est un prof qui apprend à bien écrire), pauvre, prévisible. Une histoire sans queue ni tête où aucun personnage n'est réel. Des ellipses ridicules aléatoires pour faire style. Et une fin cheveu sur la soupe.
J'ai essayé Djian, je ne crois pas que je vais continuer dans son oeuvre.
Jan
Sep 08, 2016 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I frequently find translations of foreign bestsellers to be less than satisfying, but this book was well translated and the plot was reasonably engaging. The themes were somewhat dark. The ending is startling, and rather abrupt, but fulfilled the title theme in a fitting fashion.
Irina
Feb 03, 2016 Irina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok... That was absolute creepy... The only reason why I won't put it to the trash can is, that I like my Diogenes-Collection on my bookshelf...!
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Wesley
Wesley rated it did not like it
Benbenben
Benbenben rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2016
Lucas
Lucas rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2012
Mood-mood
Mood-mood rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
P.A. Gardinali
P.A. Gardinali rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Eric
Eric rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2016
Sep 08, 2016 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a very hard time getting into this book. There was just not enough action to draw me in.
Lisa
Lisa rated it did not like it
Tess
Tess rated it it was ok
Carolyn Heinze
Carolyn Heinze rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Philippe Djian (born 1949 in Paris) is a popular French author of Armenian descent.
Djian graduated from the ESJ Paris. After a period of wandering and odd jobs, he published a volume of short stories, 50 contre 1 (1981), and then the novels Bleu comme l'enfer (1982) and Zone érogène (1984) before gaining fame with his subsequent novels 372 le matin (1985) which was filmed by Jean-Jacques Beineix (
More about Philippe Djian...